Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☼ LIGHTHOUSE CHALLENGE *~* Feedback - Page 21 ☼ Lighthouse Chat and Share

Comments

• EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited May 2011
    congratulations sashraf!! looks beautiful, great job! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • yoda65yoda65 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited May 2011
    sashraf wrote:
    Hi, Everyone :D Hope every Mother Had a Great Day! What is going on with the Exchange? I've been trying to download a lot since Sat. (NO NEW POSTS) It was Lost in SPACE :!:
    Does this happen often?

I got a message a couple hours ago saying one of my items was Featured :P
    I'm reallllly excited :mrgreen: Got the badge, just wanna know what was featured and where it is (I can't find it) If you see it let me know, so I can know what I'm so excited about :!:

Yoda, Thanks for accepting my friend request.

All the new lighthouses and pics. are for lack of a better word AWESOME.

A great Day to All mothers!! :D it is May 29 in France :mrgreen:
    sashraf Thanks a lot for the friend request!! :D CONGRATS for being Featured!! :thumbup:
    27-11-2015_185647_zpsyfowoxwm.png
    Gallery link - I wish Toddlers, Weather, Pets… in Sims 4
  • LoveEvilLoveEvil Posts: 1,654 Member
    edited May 2011
    Congrats on being featured sashraf. :thumbup:
  • illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    edited May 2011
    Congrats sashraf!! That is so awesome!
    edited May 2011
    As promised, here is the teaser construction site in progress: the small lighthouse on the Sheep island.
    I have not had time to use the kit castle! it will be for the next one! :mrgreen:
    I think I'm in love with Lighthouses ... :shock:

building with scaffolding!! :lol:
    ac1e5aa7.jpg

0bf6bbfc.jpg

bb39cb48.jpg
    Construction in progress …
  • sashrafsashraf Posts: 2,960 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Everyone!
    For the Congrats and Good Wishes!
  • ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited May 2011
    yoda65 wrote:
    As promised, here is the teaser construction site in progress: the small lighthouse on the Sheep island.
    I have not had time to use the kit castle! it will be for the next one! :mrgreen:
    I think I'm in love with Lighthouses ... :shock:

I think I have been in love with lighthouses all of my life and I have toured and climbed and shot pictures of every one I have ever seen (and been allowed to enter). I don't know exactly what it is but I really love them. The histories behind them are fascinating. I have built three of them (two for Sims 2) and I think they are just amazing works of art. Architectural delights! I ran into this recently and there it is - a sample of the Italianate architecture style used in building Ciane's lighthouse entry. Growing up in San Francisco, no wonder I love this stuff!

I am so very thankful for all the entries because "win" or "lose" every single one of these entries is a precious gift to many. Nearer to the close of the competition and after judging, for the fun of it, I will tally up all the downloads of all the lighthouse lots and see what the grand total number of downloads comes to. At this point it is already a few thousand, I'm sure. Thank you, everyone!

Yoda- that picture with the scaffolding just warms my heart and put a smile on my face. Thanks for showing the lot under construction. Too cute! My only complaint with this competition is that I have not had the time yet to start another lighthouse and I surely won't until it is over! :mrgreen:
  • StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited May 2011
    Cute Yoda! :thumbup:

Congrats to you Sashraf on the feature!!! :D

Even though im from a country almost surrounded by water, i have not seen many lighthouses in my days, we dont have a lot of them left. But i remember them from movies etc. where they always gave a extra dimension of drama, poetry or intensity. They really do seem magical. For the same reason, i have not build my lighthouse from any existing, but out of my imagination. The family i gave you Reachsims, the Atlantic family, has been living there while iv been building, and even though i did think a tragical story would be fitting for my lighthouse, i hate to mistreat my sims, so i knew i could never fallow thru... but a meteor did the job for me! So this lighthouse has been through a lot already!

I hope all the custom work survive the up/down-loads, There are paintings (even though my sim is no Leonardo!), and a billion mounted fish! :) As well as the meteor remains of the late light-keeper Alfred Atlantic in a hidden room in the basement... might be other stuff in there as well... The fun thing is he always hang out in the house with his family now. He take showers, eat food, go fishing, flirt with his wife, hug his son.... Only problem is he never clean up! And he likes to scare people by making things jump around... :?
    Sometimes he will go back down and be gone for a little. But most of the time he's around the house.

Overall i had a lot of fun giving this a try, even though it can be done better. Hopefully i learned some for the next time.

I seem to have problems uploading as well now. So while i work on it, i will post some of the pictures of my lighthouse to enlighten you! :D (Edit: Yeah after a lot of open/close launcher it finally worked to get it uploaded)

Name of lot: The Light & Joy Lighthouse

Link to download: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4082777

Rough cost to build or what the value was when uploaded: About 100.000 similions

Any special features you'd like to emphasize:

This lighthouse is made for a hardworking family and is suppose to look like, even though they take good care of it, it have seen better days. The exterior is little rough around the edges, from years of wind and saltwater biting in the buildings. Outside is a big water tower and other old fashion help objects to give it a realistic look. Like a little wooden sheet where the garbage and other stuff has its place. There is a good fishing pond, and even though the landscape is curved, the previous owners found a way to make room for some good gardening facilities.

The inside of the house is old looking too, and a little rough looking after many good years use. Its a small house, but it has what a little family could wish fore. One bedroom, one bathroom, one kitchen, one hall, one washing room, one family room and one little office, that easily can be turned in to a children bedroom. (It just was, but for the upload i changed it to a office) Nothing fancy, but a good little house. After a terrible fire, upgraded Alfred the fireplace to be fireproof, and he has been working on a few of the other appliances in the home, but do to his early unexpected death, he did not make it very far, and the widow was busy painting, cooking, gardening, making wine and taking care of little Oswald at the same time! Tuff job!

You access the basement from the lighthouse, its not a fancy place either, it does have a bathroom and some old stuff laying around collecting dust, But there is a old winemaker that can provide some hours of fun! There are already quite a few bottles on the shelfs. And of cause the hidden tomb where Alfred Atlantic and his "friends" should be resting in peace....

In the lighthouse the first floor has a few items collected. And the stairs to the basement. Second floor is a workroom full off tools for a handy sim to tinker the lighthouse with. Next floor is a nice room where the light keeper can keep an eye on the ocean, play chest, enjoy his collection of fish - dead and alive, read, and write in his logbook. The top floor is of cause where the light is!

Links for any CC used in the screenshots: None used.

Screenshots:

Screenshot-465.jpg

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/_aYsf8GP2F9E/TcluJgJuv-I/AAAAAAAAATU/WzYZnlCOXT4/s640/Screenshot-468.jpg[/img]

Screenshot-467.jpg

Screenshot-468.jpg

Screenshot-492.jpg

Screenshot-491.jpg

Screenshot-488.jpg

Screenshot-470.jpg

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/_aYsf8GP2F9E/TcluQoFSt2I/AAAAAAAAATo/LrcLkaQYtdc/s640/Screenshot-474.jpg[/img]

Screenshot-479.jpg

Screenshot-480.jpg

Screenshot-475.jpg

Thats all from me now.

Just a quick update with a few more pics from me, thanks for all the nice comments :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2011
    Stinalina WAoUh!! :thumbup: It's So lovely!! I love all! building, storie, details, landscape, pictures … :D
    Thanks for the links, I just Rec your lighthouse and add to my favorite!! :mrgreen:
  • StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited May 2011
    :oops: Thanks Yoda! :)

I had a lot of fun building it, specially the landscaping! Im glad you like it, even though my lighthouse might be a little overweight! :mrgreen:

And tanks for the rec! :)
  • sashrafsashraf Posts: 2,960 Member
    edited May 2011
    Stinalina
    Wow,wow,wow,wow- An Absolutely Gorgeous Lot with a riveting story to boot.
    Stick to your Imagination (to good to be awesome), Gave you a rec. wish I could give everyone more than one!
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    edited May 2011
    Yoda! That is soo cute! I want to see the rest of it! :mrgreen:

Stinalina! Yay, we finally get to see it! Really creative with the garden and foundations and water tower! WOW a meteor! I have never had a meteor. I'm jealous. :cry: I can't believe all the amazing ideas that everyone keeps coming up with! And you came up with more! :D I have never seen a real lighthouse either. I had to rely on google, LOL. I live smack in the middle of the USA and even tho I have been to Huntington Beach I don't recall seeing a lighthouse. :cry:
    edited May 2011
    Oh, Romagi! I don't think Huntington Beach has a lighthouse! If it does, I missed it. I have also relied on Google for a lot of pictures from the lighthouses that have been recreated and it's very interesting.

One of our favorite family children's books is based on a true story of a lighthouse family off the coast of Maine, USA: Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie

From Amazon - Grade 1-3 Based on a true story of an 1856 storm off the coast of Maine, Abbie's tale is one of endurance and bravery. When her father, the lighthouse keeper, sails off for supplies, he leaves Abbie in charge of lighting the oil lamps in the twin towers of their lighthouse and making sure that they don't go out. When a huge storm hits, preventing her father from returning for four weeks, Abbie keeps those lamps burning, getting up several times each night to climb the towers to check them, scraping ice from the windows so the lights can be seen at sea. In the course of the storm, she also rescues her chickens from a huge wave, thus saving the family's only source of food. The Roops allow the natural drama of Abbie's story to emerge in simple sentences that are sometimes cut up awkwardly, but for the most part they are clear and compelling. An author's note gives the interesting historical basis of the story, but the tale stands alone as an exciting account of a young girl's courage.

@Stinalina, thanks for another beautiful entry! Very creative on your part. The terraced garden with the fruits and veges is gorgeous - and it looks like I better water some of those plants first thing. The water tower will be a great help. LOL. :wink: It's a lovely entry and I love the foundations.
    edited May 2011
    I left rec's for some on Saturday and have done all the others now. I don't envy you having to judge this Reach. :shock: :lol:
    edited May 2011

:mrgreen: Yeah LoveEvil, it's a tough one, that's for sure. :roll:

Mom2Elias has graciously offered to help and we have already begun our judging. Another friend of ours has been kind enough to install the lots and offer very valuable input. Last of all, a builder in my family who has done a good amount of custom work will also be helping us judge the entries.

I think there is some tendency even if it is minimal to choose our favorites but when the judging is broken down to scoring on actual points, winners generally emerge.

The high quality of submissions makes it very hard though. I thought it best to begin preliminary judging so we are not left with days of work after the competition closes. This way we should be able to get results out (barring unforeseen circumstances) on a timely basis and not make everyone wait for days. That is done out of respect for you. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:!: We are having some problems with this new thread off and on. If anyone has trouble posting --- Use the regular way of posting to start, preview and make any necessary corrections. Then select all the text and copy it. If you get the error page, simply hit the back button on your browser, paste your entire submission in the Quick Reply box and hit the Submit button.

This post was submitted with Quick Reply.
  • EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited May 2011
    great idea suggesting that they copy, I've re-typed things so many times in the past til I started doing that, lol :wink:

and yes, I had to resort to quick reply to get it through
    oow785m
    edited May 2011
    This is ONE of the reasons I asked for a limit of 12 pictures *and* I always discourage quoting of entire posts with pictures because it puts the thread at further risk of breakage, not to mention the time it wastes when you have to scroll through the same pictures numerous times.

The sad thing is that in this thread, like the first one, we have done nothing wrong and nobody has been abusive in these ways, not even once! :sad cry:
  • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for staying on top of the judging Reach! :D LOL, I've been doing the copy paste for what a month now. :? It would be nice if they would get the site fixed. The exchange is and has been borked for awhile too. It doesn't show all the store items on the lot DL page and it keeps freezing. The latest freeze has been at least 10 hours.
    edited May 2011
    romagi1 I am just glad that my Sunday upload is finally showing on the exchange! That said though I wonder what a lighthouse made from Ginchiest Sink & EmpireLine Dishwasher looks like - that's the only store content I have used apparently. :lol::lol:
    edited May 2011
    LoveEvil, I definitely have to go shopping at the Sims 3 Store for you since you have hardly any store content. :roll:

I noticed this problem a few weeks ago. My daughter was downloading something in my studio that had been built for her and when I saw the content listed -- :shock: -- about one fifth of the actual content in the lot, ugh...
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I'm just glad I remembered to add the castle kit to the description. :roll: :wink:
  • lookingfornamlookingfornam Posts: 288 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Okay, so between exams, projects, Portal 2, and the Exchange acting up, I've been on a bit of building hiatus, so this lighthouse has been sitting around for a while. However, today, I finally have time to sit down and formally submit an entry, so I hope y'all enjoy it!

Edit: download link updated 05/13/2011

Name of lot: Lighthouse Point - 1br, 1ba
    Download link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4090669
    Full screenshot walkthrough (I hope this doesn't count against the 12 shot rule!): http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=321543
    Higher-quality image gallery: http://lookingfornam.imgur.com/3PB8T#Ceadd

Rough cost to build or what the value was when uploaded: $56,529
    Any special features you'd like to emphasize:
    -Spiral stairs/atrium/historical museum in the tower proper (You'll see what I mean in the screenshots)
    -No CC
    -Uses Ambitions content and one non-free Store item (That's right, one. See if you can find it!)

Screenshots

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Ceadd.jpg "width=700"[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/TroZl.jpg "width=700"[/img]

Here, you can see the garden, as well as a small snippet of the fishing hole at the bottom.
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/GEpsX.jpg "width=700"[/img]

Basement:
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/061JV.jpg "width=700"[/img]

Ground floor layout:
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/Jm1Pp.jpg "width=700"[/img]

Second floor:
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/B6pFs.jpg "width=700"[/img]

The third and fourth floors are pretty similar to the second, so with the 12 shot limit in mind, let's skip to the top floor.
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/IOo7b.jpg "width=700"[/img]

Obligatory beauty shot over the bay:
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/L1Fgb.jpg "width=700"[/img]

Here's a good view of the tower's atrium from the top floor.
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/kVwaE.jpg "width=700"[/img]

I mentioned that the tower itself is set up as a historical museum, so here's a look at what I mean.
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/tcOBC.jpg "width=700"[/img]

This bedroom is only big enough for a single bed, but I did leave a few tiles of flat terrain in the back for any expansions.
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/iTEL7.jpg "width=700"[/img]

Living room's pretty small, but it's enough for a single Sim. (I told you I would show you the hutch in action, Reach! :) )
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/d5KS8.jpg "width=700"[/img]

Aaaand that brings us to 12 screenshots; no more, no less! Hope you guys like it! :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited May 2011
    Awww, Lookingfornam, it's very nice. Very authentic. I like how you turned it into a small museum/tourist spot with visitors allowed but you still managed to keep the home separate. As many lighthouses as I have toured, obviously public, I have never been allowed into the keeper's home, whether there still was one or not (the keeper being replaced with automation). I like how you left a few extra flat tiles behind the bedroom in case anyone wants to expand the bedroom to accommodate a double bed and I notice that will work structurally without some major remodeling job on the roof. Thank you very much for a lovely entry.

I do know what store item is in there and I am glad to see it put to such excellent use. :D

The image gallery and the walk-through are certainly allowed. I just don't want to overburden this thread with too many screenshots. The first thread was broken on page ten and this one is giving us some trouble, too.
  • itguyinscitguyinsc Posts: 5,765 Member
    edited May 2011
    Good evening you wonderful artists!

Reach...
    Just wanted to let you know that it is unlikely that I will have an entry for your wonderful contest. My game has decided to stop showing my saved games in the launcher. I've been unable to repair this problem so far. I've cleared the cache and deleted old saves from a long time ago. Something must be corrupting my files. The next step seems to be uninstalling all and reinstalling.

Best of luck to all of you! Each is truly beautiful and unique :wink:
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    edited May 2011
    lookingfornam!! your lighthouse is ToO lovely!!! I love it! The tower's atrium & historical museum … such a good idea!! colors, landscape … :thumbup:
    Now, after seeing all these beautiful entries, I tell myself that I have not quite worked the landscape in my first entry :mrgreen:
    one non-free Store item (That's right, one. See if you can find it!)
    It is : Kitchen Cage Hutch :?: :lol:

Edit: I left you a rec, and will download later :wink:
    I hope one day I can change images in the presentation of the exchange with my Mac ... I have not found a solution until now ... :cry: