March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Your The Sims 3 Base Game is incompatible with the current Sims 3 Expansion Pack" WHAT?

I updated my game when i put in the high end loft stuff expansion disk in. i then pressed the play button. a message box saying its unable to start game because the base game is incompatible with the current expansion pack and to update the game via game launcher popped up. but my game is already up to date! i've tried multiple times but to no avail. i've browsed around and tried what others have suggested but none have worked. if anyone knows how to fix this, i will be truly grateful if anyone can help as it's the only thing i can do at the moment because of my broken arm :/.
Thanks/ :mrgreen:

Comments

• SimplyUhMayZingSimplyUhMayZing Posts: 3
    edited February 2011
    Okay ive been having this problem since yesterday and its upsetting me i cant really tell you what to do because i dont know what to do my self what i did was call my aunt " the sims expert" Lol and um, she told me to go to documents then electronic arts and then saved and copy your games then move them to desktop. after your done with that you go to control panel and unistall the expasion then base game restart the computer and install the base game make sure it works then install the expansion and check if it works then you go to desktop get your saved files then go back to electronic arts and switch them over and try to play. im almost don with the process but i cant find my base game o__0. Well i would hope this works but just incase i'll do it and tell you if it works or not

-SimplyUhmayZing ( :D ~13~)

-
  • sOnIc_RoKzsOnIc_RoKz Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Oh god! I have the same problem!!! Did this work??
  • JessicarogelJessicarogel Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    does it work cuz for me it was updating and i thought it was done so when i pressed sims 3 it started saying that stuff its getting me mad Dx :thumbdown: :hunf:
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited June 2011
    It means you also need to update (in other words patch) your base game. Look in the technical issues thread, there is a post that provides links to all the patches.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • LukepukeLukepuke Posts: 38 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Hi iv just solved my problem all you have to do is....
    1.Make sure you have downloaded the latest patch for The Sims 3 and expansions.
    2.Now, completely close any Sims 3 windows you have open, including the Launcher.
    3.Navigate to your Documents folder (My Documents in Windows XP and windows 7).
    4.Open the Electronic Arts folder.
    5.Open The Sims 3 folder.
    6.Find the Version.tag file.
    7.Delete the Version.tag file.

Don't worry about deleting the Version.tag file. This file will be re-populated by the game with the correct version once you re-launch The Sims

If this doesnt work and you have EA download manager update it to Origin beta
    this was my problem and updating ea download manager helped a lot hope this solves you problems :)

thanks Luke :)<3
  • LukepukeLukepuke Posts: 38 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Also after updating EA download manager to origins beta please shut down you machine then open up everything again if that does not work please call ea you will find the number on the back of any sims 3 games :)

Thanks Luke :)<3
  • lila2018lila2018 Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Well...I had the same problem. I had just bought the sims 3 deluxe and The late night expantion pack. I had already had my high-end loft stuff so I didn't have any thing on yet. I installed everything and this started coming up on my launcher: "YOUR SIMS 3 BASE GAME IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE CURRENT SIMS 3 EXPANTION PACK YOU HAVE INSTALLED". If You don't have anything on yet like custom content then this is the best thing you should do. UNINSTALL YOUR GAME!!! THEN REINSTALL EVERYTHING ACCEPT THE HIGH-END LOFT STUFF!!!
    I hope this is helpful. :)
  • LizzixlouLizzixlou Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    this has happened to me twice now... I have tried everything and its just not working the ffirst time i just gave up eventually and then a few weeks later I tried and it worked! but my computer did this weird thing where it shut down and had to do system repairs and im right back where i started! friggin nightmare :( please help :cry:
  • LeGabrielleLeGabrielle Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Look for the Version.tag in My Documents, not Program Files.
    Mine's located at
    C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

Hope that helped. :D
  • LizzixlouLizzixlou Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    I've already tried that :'(
    thanks anyway x
  • Dominoe0129Dominoe0129 Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    Im tired of all these problems with the sims3. This has to be the worst sims game yet. Im going back to sims2.
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited July 2012
    The only thing I found worked for me is to uninstall everything, and then reinstall - patching after every disk.

Doing so also gives you a warning, and people get confused by it sometimes - but basically that's the warning that your base game is patched to a higher level than your EP/SP and you need to patch again after installing the EP/SP. So you can just ignore that and go ahead.

I know reinstalling isn't anybody's favourite job, but like I said, it's the only thing I've found that works. :(

• StarrLightSimsStarrLightSims Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I had the same problem last night. It was very stressful. I couldn't sleep because of it. I un installed and re installed it and there was an update... I had to update it like 2 times to get it to work again :(
    It was kinda freezing when i started it up but then it work.
  • 777debs777debs Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    :cry:

I am struggling so badly with my sims supernatural !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sparkles2320sparkles2320 Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    why isnt it working :cry::cry:
    :hunf:
  • emilyp1050emilyp1050 Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    So I just installed my sims 3 base game to my computer and updated it. I also tried to install the sims 3 supernatural EP but it keeps saying "the sims 3 supernatural is incompatible with the sims 3 base game." So i updated and patched the base game again and in the launcher i could see the blurred out supernatural icon at the bottom left corner so i knew it was up to date. When i went back and tried to install the EP again, it then said the base game was more up to date than expected. WHAT DO I DO NOW?!??!? Every time i try to install the EP it doesn't connect to my sims 3 !!
  • TrishthenerdTrishthenerd Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    I had this same problem; this is what worked for me:
    Uninstall all your EPs. (Expansion Packs)
    Update the base game
    Restart the launcher and check for more updates, if there are none, install only ONE more EP
    Update again, and restart the launcher to check for more updates
    Repeat this process until you have installed and updated every EP individually
    The game should work fine now :)

Happy Simming :-) :mrgreen:
  • niceicericeniceicerice Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    i have the sims 3 university life which is the first sims game I have for the pc.
    when I put the disk in my computer it tells me that I need to install the base game??? what is that and do I have to pay for it
  • momo70momo70 Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    Scratch all they are saying. Uninstall all your game expansion packs and base game. Then re install them in order one by one, make sure before you re install each one you update each one. So first you will install the base game then update it. then go to your next expansion install it then update and so on and so forth. :!: :!: :D I really hope this helps you!! :mrgreen: 8)