Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help! Suggestions for a new simming computer?

As our old computer is suffering the pains of old age, we are on the hunt for a new computer. We've done a bit of research, but want to make sure that the computer we end up buying will be one that can serve our simming needs for years to come. Here's a general idea of what we want from it:

-as little lag as possible in larger worlds
-CAW compatibility, so no macs :roll:
-nice shiny graphics
-as few glitches, issues, etc. as is possible with EA.
-just a great computer for simming!

So, if any of you have a computer that you know works wonderfully with TS3 and all the EPs, let us know, please! Otherwise, if you're more tech savvy than us and know how much RAM we should get, how much memory, what type of graphics card, etc., that would be wonderful. :D Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited January 2011
    I would get 8 gigs of ram

a quad core processor preferably 3.0 or 4.0 ghz or above.(each processor) 'quad' equals four times the power so 3.0 (or above) x4
    At that point, use the 4 gb patch from NTcore. This will allow your game to use 4 gigs instead of two, and render faster graphics and less lag.

I think Dell is awesome but that is just an opinion.

Nvidia graphics cards work awesome with the game. Just get what you wish, compare prices and quality etc because several different models of Nividia work. You get what you pay for in most cases, but there are some *awesome* deals out there. try newegg.com

If custom made, make sure they know you want a set up for gaming with highest specs. I like a custom pc better than a store bought one. =) But again that's just my opinion.

• DP1916DP1916 Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2011
    I have a Dell Studio and so far no problems, but when I ordered this computer I had the sims 3 box and read off the specs of what I needed to run this game and I wanted it under a $1000 dollars so far soooo good and I have all ep and sp to the sims 3 and almost all store content
  • chitbillchitbill Posts: 2,017 New Member
    edited January 2011
    "So, if any of you have a computer that you know works wonderfully with TS3 and all the EPs"

You wouldn't find one. Find some game everyone likes with letters (COD, WoW, GTA).
    Read some review pages and pick the middle one.
    Or totally ignore the above and budget $1500 MSRP for a desktop, 2500 MSRP for a notebook. The neighbors will drool. Especially when you say you paid 899/1100.

If you ever actually see this post it will be a minor miracle. The forum is not working wonderfully today.

Edit: My fragile ego is asking me why anything I answer suddenly jumps to page 3, while empty unanswered stuff is still on page one. I tell my ego not to take it personally, but,
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • simjettsimjett Posts: 5,254 Member
    edited January 2011
    My Rig is 3 years obsolete, so that does you no good :P

You can usually piece one together for a good low price.
    An example that might need some adjustments.

http://www.ecollegepc.com/
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8Ghz 6MB Cache FSB 4000MHz HT
    Arctic Cooling ACALP64PWM Ultra Quiet Fan/Heatsink
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO (AMD 870, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA2, 4xDDR3)
    4GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
    500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300 (Major Brand)
    22X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD+/-RW/CDRW w/Nero
    1GB ATI Radeon HD6850 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    CoolerMaster Black Elite 310 (4 5.25, 4 3.5) Fan, Audio/USB
    600watt OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP
    Onboard LAN included
    Onboard Sound included
    Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans
    3 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty