Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Converting Google Earth Buildings to Sims 3 CAW Deco Objects

13...Next

Comments

• DiancarockDiancarock Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2012
    I hope you feel better, and sorry about your dog, that's a pretty tough blow.
  • rochelle31331rochelle31331 Posts: 13
    edited April 2012
    tjstreak wrote:
    yeltneb wrote:
    I have just read through this thread you guys are amazing wish i knew what what you were talking about but i love the results
    :)

OK. This is surprisingly simple, once you understand what I am doing.

There is a program called Model Converter at http://sims3newyork.blogspot.com/2011/09/twallan-comes-through-yet-again.html This is your Rosetta stone for converting models. It will convert models between a number of different formats. The program itself comes from the Flight Simulator community -- they have a real interest in these types of conversions.

I would suggest, for the moment, forgetting about Google Earth. Sketchup really is designed only to support Google Earth, but it makes really bad models for games. If you look at most of the models on Google Earth, 90% of them are really bad. These models really are not made for gaming applications.

A better source would be converting buildings used in various flight simulators. You can get Microsoft Flight Simulator for $20 to $30. Once you start digging around in it, you will find that it has thousands of models. Not just buildings, but planes (surprise, surprise), cars, trucks, trains, ships, boats, bridgess, decorative items like power lines, and just about every landmark on can find in the world.

The nice thing about flight simulator models is they were designed for gaming. Most of them are 15 minute conversions.

I haven't done a tutorial on this because I am still trying to perfect things. Also, I have had a major infection in my leg for the past month, and my dog died earlier this week. So creating stuff has been back burnered while I deal with real life problems.

Did you ever decide if you would do a tutorial on this? Or get all the kinks out? I'd love to make some more neighborhood decorations for my game. I can't find any to download to use for the EIG mode.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top