Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some effects not working

Wow, all is working except my water effects as far as I can see, I have Late Night & all the rest, my new world is working perfect except my waterfall, my waves...they were not showing in CAW but I was hopin the would show In-Game, but no luck. Has this happened to any one else? :cry:

Comments

• Rflong13Rflong13 Posts: 682 Member
    edited November 2010
    Hi,

Strange...
    Did you turn the waterfalls around to face the way you want? They rotate in CAW. (sorry, but it's the only thing I could think)

You can see them in EIG (if they appear in CAW) by unpausing.
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited November 2010
    Hey Rflong, yes, I tried moving the waterfall & the ocean wave effects, rotating them, to no avail. I should have mentioned this is the 1st attempt at a world after installing Late Night and patching, reinstalling CAW, etc. I've got my world installed for testing in-game, and like I said, all else seems to be working, Rabbitholes, subways, elevators. Just no waterfall or ocean waves
    edited November 2010
    Hi,

I read In-Game and thought Edit In Game. Which is totally what you didn't say. :)

I would think it might be your graphics? I am sorry, I have no idea about any thing technical.

Good luck.
  • NokuoroNokuoro Posts: 3,413 New Member
    edited November 2010
    if you are dealing with waterfalls.. you may have to move the terrain back.

meaning.. if you have a mountain, you may have to tweak the level of the terrain for the waterfall to show fully. :)
    edited November 2010
    Nokuoro wrote:
    if you are dealing with waterfalls.. you may have to move the terrain back.

meaning.. if you have a mountain, you may have to tweak the level of the terrain for the waterfall to show fully. :)

Hi,
    You know you can move the waterfall instead of the land. It rotates and can raise/lower.
    If you have the grid on then turn it off to move it higher off the ground or sink it. :)
    edited November 2010
    Hmmm, I just checked out Bridgeport, and did anyone notice there is a perfect place for a waterfall but no waterfall, and all that water and not one wave? Maybe EA broke the waterfall & wave effects?
    edited November 2010
    No, sorry. I don't think it's EAs game. There would be an uproar if we all couldn't see waterfalls and waves.

I still have them.
    edited November 2010
    And thanks Nokuoro, but it's not the terrain as I pre-sculpted and have created quite a few worlds with waterfalls before Late Night came out, maybe it is my version of Creat-A-World....or EA broke the effects...Rflong, I don't think it coudl be my graphics card as I see waterfalls......wait, I thought I'd better load up my game & check, and maybe you are onto something Rflong, not a single waterfall or wave in Sunset Beach, nada, well I'll try updating the graphics card 1st...
    edited November 2010
    Lol, thanks Rflong, it appears to be something from my end, not sure what, my Graphics card is apparently updated, I have a computer that is less than 3 months old....it's something definately beyond my tech knowledge....now I won't be able to see your water effects on Picaroon island.... :(
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2010
    Actually if it's a new pc, then there is a bigger chance your video card is not updated. as the video card usually come with a disk with what ever was the newest driver at the time of manufacturing that card, so unless your video card was manufactured in this month, or unless you updated to the newest driver update in mid October, then your video card is not up to date. You have to understand that factory made systems, unlike systems you build yourself and update your all the components and hardware at each individual manufacturers update page, that your computers is programmed when it was made with a master disk provided by all the manufacturers and they may not update those master disks for well over a year. They do not go around to all these places themselves and update your pc. So if that pc was put together 10 months or a year ago to be sent to where you bought it and at the time the master disk was already a year old, then your pc is actually outdated almost 2 years, even if you bought it at the store and put it on your desk yesterday afternoon. The only way you know when your pc was updated is to look at all the updated listed for each different components and then checking with the manufacturer of EACH piece of hardware. This year alone I have updated my video card 6 times as Nvidia had 6 updates that corrected problems in all sorts of games and including fixed two updated that Nvidia themselves recalled because they caused video cards to heat up. Hope one of those drivers are not in your pc because if they are, I'd be guessing your need a video card replacement due to overheating and why Nvidia recalled the February driver or has a serious memory leak which is why they recalled the March replacement for the Feb one. They finally got the correct driver with no BS in April, but in both June and Oct two more drivers came out that also fixed specific problems with specific games as well as made the video card perform far better than any previous driver. So unless you updated to the October Nvidia driver 260.99 if you have a Nvidia card, then guess what you are not updated and if you bought that 3 months ago, then you have already not updated at least 2 drivers that came out just since you owned your pc, and I can almost bet you that the drivers are much old than that.

Anyone who buys a pc and does not go directly to the internet and update all their drivers when they get it home, really needs to learn how to maintain the pc and in a hurry. There are a whole lot more of drivers in your pc than just the video card and ALL need to be the latest drivers out there not those on the pc manufacturer master disk.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited November 2010
    Yes, it does appear I do need to update, and it is an NVidia, Writin_reg, I will have to muddle through the updates as I find it so hard to tell if I'm downloading the right one, thanks for the support though......good for you that you are so on the updating driver thing....
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2010
    If you had the problems I've encountered with pcs, you learn to update drivers first - just make sure you uninstall the old Nvidia driver before you install the new one. You uninstall in in add/remove programs - as Nvidia drivers do not overwrite properly and can create a mass of problems if you don't delete the old ones. I should have mentioned that. Yes I just update to the October driver myself even on this temp harddrive I'm using, as my regular harddrive is being reformatted and having Windows 7 Professional being put on it. But even for short term use I always update the video driver as they can play havoc with Sims games if you don't. EA updates their drivers for new EP and sps which is why we really need to stay on top of ours as well.

Anyway, I do hope you get it sorted for your worlds sake anyway. hehehe

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited November 2010
    Well, nothing has worked so far. I have installed 2 new drivers, one for my Nvidia HD 5570 & it has not fixed the problem, I even tried one of those "update driver" programs, but as they are not free & I do not like purchasing on-line, I was only able to update the 2 drivers. I was on-line with a live tech last night, but after 45 minutes he got impatient & didn't seem to understand that while I was trying the things he wanted me to do, I needed time in between for my game to load :cry: Anyways, I guess I will have to think about a new graphics card (even thought this one is just over 2 months old) or just ignore the fact that there are no waterfalls, waves, or any effects like birds (although I can hear the little suckers, darned Seagulls!) Maybe I'll build a river city or a desert city, Vegas anyone?
    edited November 2010
    Geez... :oops: I thought I had done the #1 most important thing, remove your mods.....I forgot that my nude patch was installed as an app, so now it is uninstalled & I see waterfalls!!! Rflong, I can't wait to check out Picaroon Island! :P
  • tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2010
    I don't know whether you use mods or not Sneakfeline0, but some nomosiac mods and similar effect-removing mods can cause this sort of trouble if left in without being updated for patches and expansions.
  • NaquisteNaquiste Posts: 1 New Member
    I am researching this issue too...it happened once on a previous install I do forget the solution. However I had just recently installed caw and it worked fine even with no mosaic and nraas etc. so let me get back I highly doubt that if it was working that it is you Graphics card. This seems to be a bug on and off I have noticed.