Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to deal with people stealing your worlds and claiming them as their own?

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2865487

So clearly someone has nicked one my worlds and put it up on the exchange, despite my requesting that not happen on the original download page at MTS. I reported this item several weeks ago now, and it's still up. Is there anything further that I can do about it, or do I just have to tolerate it?

Comments and help much appreciated. :)

Kiwi_tea.

Comments

• Options
    IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited November 2010
    May i ask for your version of the town in a link please ^^; site is being a pain and i'm getting the OOPS alot :P XD
    If your towns really look too mutch alike i'll report his ^^; but since i don't really know wich yours is (sorry i know i'm stupid)

But yeah the exchange really makes me sick sometimes, alot of people take credit for things they didn't really make and it's sad :/ but except for reporting i don't think there is anything you can do
  • Options
    Pyronium3Pyronium3 Posts: 443 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Maybe if more people report it as plagiarism it gets noticed. Someone else taking credit for your hard work is ridiculous, so I've reported it!
  • Options
    ProfPlumbobProfPlumbob Posts: 355 New Member
    edited November 2010
    you should definitely report it to EA if they'll do anything about it. Definitely put your name in the PNG(example: by "so-and-so"), that can also help relieve the stealing. Cus they'll always be stuck with your PNG file, unless their savvy enough to rip it out of S3PE. Which is rare!
  • Options
    chris2chrischris2chris Posts: 1,909 New Member
    edited November 2010
    i reported it too;)
  • Options
    geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited November 2010
    if you take a closer look there is Kiwi_Tea's name on the PNG of the stolen upload.
    I'm reporting this. I have downloaded Niua Simoa long ago from MTS and it's a very well done world with no issues and plenty of room for new lots. Def one of my favorites. This alone makes me feel very upset about the user who nicked it.
    Uploading someone elses sim or CASed item is very easily done by mistake.(it's easy to acidentally pick someone elses sim to edit from the saved sims in CAS)
    Uploading someone elses lot is unacceptable...
    But Uploading someone elses world ,when it takes MONTHS of hard work, especially when it's so flauless is byeond (sp?) outrageous...
    I can't believe someone actually was stupid and arrogant enough to do something like this.
    Thanks Kiwi for bringing this to my attention. I love this world and I can't believe someone had the nerve to claim it as their own.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    geminiagre wrote:
    if you take a closer look there is Kiwi_Tea's name on the PNG of the stolen upload.
    I'm reporting this. I have downloaded Niua Simoa long ago from MTS and it's a very well done world with no issues and plenty of room for new lots. Def one of my favorites. This alone makes me feel very upset about the user who nicked it.
    Uploading someone elses sim or CASed item is very easily done by mistake.(it's easy to acidentally pick someone elses sim to edit from the saved sims in CAS)
    Uploading someone elses lot is unacceptable...
    But Uploading someone elses world ,when it takes MONTHS of hard work, especially when it's so flauless is byeond (sp?) outrageous...
    I can't believe someone actually was stupid and arrogant enough to do something like this.
    Thanks Kiwi for bringing this to my attention. I love this world and I can't believe someone had the nerve to claim it as their own.

^^ thank you i didn't even see that yet lol XD reported him too now ^^
    Don't know the town though xD guess i'll download it sometimes since you seem so happy about it ^.^ should be worth it to check it out
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited November 2010
    Charming, another thief. I've had Niua Simoa in my game from the time you first released it, and it certainly wasn't made by that guy.
    Reported.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited November 2010
    Since everything that person has in their studio was uploaded the same day, I would bet they are all stolen. There are some amazing lots there.
  • Options
    tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the back up guys. Ivinora, the original is found here: http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387272

Although the version I've made including WA content is MUCH better, and prepopulated too: http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=389287

Sorry, large downloads can be troublesome from MTS, I know that all too well, but I prefer to support that site with patronage, seeing as I can't afford to donate and it has the best (and safest) CC around.

Does anyone recognise any of the lots? I'm fairly certain they're stolen too, as Docsprock suspects. If we can find the originals, then it'd be worth reporting them as well.
  • Options
    JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited November 2010
    I reported them too. I don't know if it will do any good but perhaps if enough people report it, EA might remove it. Its very sad when people do this.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Options
    simbody872simbody872 Posts: 828 Member
    edited November 2010
    Reported as well. :evil: :roll:
    A Legacy Challenge. The Benton Legacy
    A Prettacy Challenge It Ain't Easy Being Green
  • Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited November 2010
    Reported! I'm sorry someone is stealing your hard work Tea. You do an awesome job on your worlds.
  • Options
    xmenchick05xmenchick05 Posts: 568 New Member
    edited November 2010
    reported!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the back up guys. Ivinora, the original is found here: http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387272

Although the version I've made including WA content is MUCH better, and prepopulated too: http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=389287

Sorry, large downloads can be troublesome from MTS, I know that all too well, but I prefer to support that site with patronage, seeing as I can't afford to donate and it has the best (and safest) CC around.

Does anyone recognise any of the lots? I'm fairly certain they're stolen too, as Docsprock suspects. If we can find the originals, then it'd be worth reporting them as well.

Ty kinda funny though i always come on MTS but i never really looked into their worlds X.x; Anyway thank you ^^ *runs of to download and test ingame*
  • Options
    FaeCatLadyFaeCatLady Posts: 160 Member
    edited November 2010
    I have reported it. I love your worlds and I love love Niua Simoa in particular(I Play the WA version). The thought of someone stealing it is awful. I hope something is done about this soon.
  • Options
    lillithleelillithlee Posts: 191 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Loved your world, reported.
  • Options
    tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2010
    The sad thing is, if they'd just said "This is Kiwi_tea's, just uploading it here because it's a hassle downloading multi-part files from MTS", then I probably would just ignore it. Because I agree, and I think a lot of people who have downloaded my world from MTS agree. It has shoddy service for non-donating members. But they didn't have that courtesy (even though it still would have been rude, given I specify not to upload to the exchange).
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2010
    I definitely reported it and you know I 've loved your world since it came out. Who do those people think they are. As a writer i have no use for plagarists and I hope EA responds quickly and direct.

Kiwi, thanks for alerting the community - we will defintely stand up for the creators like yourself who do go aboveboard to help all the simming community. it is beyond shameful for people to steal other peoples hard work.

I get many, many hours of fun out of your worlds, I play RBH practically daily and have a many generational family in NS. This makes me angry, and I hope everyone who reads this reports that world as stolen. Dark Mirage, you should post this on your blog spot as well. I think as a community we all need to tell everyone who sims to report this also.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited November 2010
    Good idea WR, I will alert people to this on my blog as well.
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited November 2010
    Hi T&B, I reported the exchange Niua Simoa plagiarist. Just to let you know we support you on this.
  • Options
    LoCatusLoCatus Posts: 1,740 Member
    edited November 2010
    The sad thing is, if they'd just said "This is Kiwi_tea's, just uploading it here because it's a hassle downloading multi-part files from MTS", then I probably would just ignore it. Because I agree, and I think a lot of people who have downloaded my world from MTS agree. It has shoddy service for non-donating members. But they didn't have that courtesy (even though it still would have been rude, given I specify not to upload to the exchange).

Problem I see with getting the copy removed from the exchange is I don't see your original there. The site mods have nothing to compare the plagiarized copy to.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    LoCatus, the mods would have to be blind not to see his name from modthesims of Kiwi Tea right there on the picture of the island. Look again, see Kiwi Tea in the right hand corner.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    LoCatusLoCatus Posts: 1,740 Member
    edited November 2010
    Oh I saw it.. I also reported it.

Just saying. It might help explain why it's still there. Maybe all our additional reporting will help make it disappear. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I hope so. I do not like anyone stealing anybody's work, nevermind someone who goes out of the way to help the community like Kiwi/Tea and Blues does. If it wasn't for him no one would even know how to prepopulate the worlds. He did not have to share the info, and not only shared but wrote a tutorial on how to do it. So I feel doubly angry at this thief for doing such a thing. Even if this was the first thing Kiwi had made I'd be angry, but when Simmers go above board to help others, well we as a community just need to stand together firm against this kind of thing.

Edit to add: I'd do the same thing if somebody was stealing your worlds too Locatus.

Edit to add, Kiwi/Tea and Blues: I have posted about this with a link that hopefully works at several other sites i belong too. Hopefully the members will come in and report that file also. I sure hope so. Nobody deserves to have to go through this. I feel awful you have to. I cannot imagine anyone who can see this as alright to do. But hopefully EA will remove it and reprimand the thief.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    roxsroxs Posts: 505 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Reported!