Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please EA... Securom

Am I the only one annoyed at the game asking for CD ? Having to go though all my cd to to find the right one so I can finally play ?

Securom, being craked as it is, don't help much with piracy. It's just pain and trouble for those who where honest enough to buy the game.
I don't like the fact that the "tank you for paying" is restriction those who hacked the game don't have.

You're not going to reduce piracy by rescricting the peaple who paid for the game. On the other hand, if you make sure the paid for product offer more that the hacked one, that would encourage peaple to buy rather than using illegal means.
In the case of the sims, that could be sims point on registration.

Comments

• Options
    Carbonite101Carbonite101 Posts: 411 New Member
    edited November 2010
    It isn't SecuROM anymore, it's just your standard disc check. No intrusion or anything. The launcher or game merely checks your DVD-ROM drive before letting you play depending on how you load it.

I agree though, it is slightly frustrating.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited November 2010
    This is part of the EULA for Late Night.

The Sims 3 digital download PRODUCT uses SecuROM digital rights management technology provided by Sony DADC Austria AG.

From my little understanding of it the disc's don't.

• Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited November 2010
    There would have been a greater uproar if EA required DRM and internet access to play the game.
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    edited November 2010
    True, could be worse.
    Still, no DRM is the ideal.

Having a few games where no drm patch where realeased just made me realise that having to use the cd was annoying, in addition of being a total nonsence.
  • Options
    LoCatusLoCatus Posts: 1,740 Member
    edited November 2010
    I've been buying all my games via digital download for a while now...

VERY convenient. No disks to hunt for or worry about damage or loss. Easy to make backups of all the installers so one doesn't have to download the game again for reload. If the backup gets lost you simply download the game again.
    Most of my pre-ordered titles have already been downloaded and are waiting to be installed when I wake up on release day. (No more driving to game stop just to find out their truck hasn't shown up yet.)

EA's Use of SecuROM? Limits us to 5 active installations of TS3. Run the game on any 5 computers you want at the same time. And they did it right by including the de-authorize button for when we need to free up an installation slot when moving the game to another machine.
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    edited November 2010
    And they did it right by including the de-authorize button for when we need to free up an installation slot when moving the game to another machine.
    So you can free up an install with on clik.

That means you need to have internet to re-install the game from a backup ? DO you need internet to start the game ?