Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to start a new game in Sims 3

I start the Sims 3 Fast Lane and click on new game. I select a town from the drop down menu however I am unable to click new game. The new game button is greyed out. This is the first time I have had this error and I really don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall all my Sims 3 products.

I only have 1 saved family so there is plenty of room for more families.
Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

Comments

• Options
    leothelipt8leothelipt8 Posts: 692 New Member
    edited November 2010
    This may be caused by a bad save file. Go to my documents\electronic arts\the sims 3. Find the folder saves and move all of the file in it to the desktop. Then try to start a new game. If this works you can move your save files in one at a time to determine which files may be causing the problem.
  • Options
    bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    edited November 2010
    Thank you for your help. That hasn't worked so I have decided to uninstall and reinstall the Sims 3. Cheers

• Options
    edited November 2010
    I have uninstalled the Sims 3 and reinstalled it. After creating a saved game, I went to the main menu to try and start another game. My original problem is still happening - I can't start a new game - it seems I can only have 1 saved game at a time.

Any more ideas????? I'm willing to try anything.

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited November 2010
    What EPs do you have ? Are you using mods or other 3rd party content ?

When you go into your saves folder how many folders do you have within and what are they called ?

I have never heard of this before.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited November 2010
    I have all Eps except Late Night. I don't use mods and the only cheat code I have used is motherlode.

When I move saved games out of the folder I can make a new game but when thats saved I can't start a new game.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

• Options
    purplez479purplez479 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I am having this exact same problem now! Did you ever get it fixed???
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited August 2011
    That may be due to low hard drive space. You need to keep a gig free, even though a save is not that big, that is what the game wants.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    CaraTheCrazyOneCaraTheCrazyOne Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    This same problem is happening to me, has anyone found a way to fix it?
  • Options
    CaptobvsCaptobvs Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited April 2013
    After you click 'new game' and choose your town, you then need to hit the big check mark at the bottom to get it started. You don't need to hit 'new game' again. (don't feel bad as i have done this myself.) And please check on here before doing the uninstall/reinstall thing. Most times it is not necessary.

happy simming!
  • Options
    CaraTheCrazyOneCaraTheCrazyOne Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Thank you so much I was thinking about reinstalling my game! Lucky I looked here first but I so feel like a big idiot though never thought just to click the check button. :)
  • Options
    ilovepink3ilovepink3 Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Omg thx sooo much captobvs!!! Feel soo stupid now!!! :-/
  • Options
    reaction_omgreaction_omg Posts: 7
    edited April 2014
    i have that problom but there is noting to click its all gray