Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Family tree problem?

Hi to all simmers... I have created a family, everything is fine, but when my sim dies, relation with his/her spouse is broken... Like they never married... How can I fix this, becouse in premade families, for example in Goth family, Mortimer's grandparents are shown married even if they are dead... Can someone help me please... :?:

Comments

• MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited October 2010
    bump
  • lesley418lesley418 Posts: 4,077 New Member
    edited October 2010
    If it leaves them married, your live sim won't be able to remarry
    edited October 2010
    Double Post
    edited October 2010
    No. After wife of my sim died, they were like divorced, no sign of her in his family tree. :cry:
    edited October 2010
    Oh, IDK then =(
  • dylsoccer12dylsoccer12 Posts: 9,357 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, unfortunatley they treat it like they divorced. If you try to talk/flirt with the ghost it'll act like it's creeped out.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, unfortunatley they treat it like they divorced. If you try to talk/flirt with the ghost it'll act like it's creeped out.

Yeah. But how can we fix this? :?:
  • CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited October 2010
    There is a mod that can do this in your game. It is called Master Controller
    edited October 2010
    There is a mod that can do this in your game. It is called Master Controller

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about mods. I am trying to avoid them 99%. Is there ANY OTHER way to fix this? It's driving me crazy :evil:
    edited October 2010
    :shock:
  • hockeychick23hockeychick23 Posts: 136
    edited October 2010
    Sorry I have no idea how to fix it. However, I have noticed that it says my sim is the fiancee of her dead husband who came back as a ghost. He also got very mad when she kissed her brand new boyfriend.
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited October 2010
    When a spouse dies, the game divorces them so the surviving spouse can marry someone else. The coding does not have a category for widow/widower. So when one spouse dies, they code it the same as when the couple divorce.

Once the surviving spouse dies as well, they can't re-marry, since they're both dead. :)

In family trees, they will still be both listed as parents of their children, but the family tree of the surviving spouse does not list any 'ex-spouses' (dead or otherwise).

There's nothing you can do about it. Master Controller can fix it, if you're sure you do not want the survivor to marry again, or if they're both dead.
  • whtrbtwhtrbt Posts: 1,927 Member
    edited November 2010
    EA should change the programming for this and create a new status called "deceased spouse" and "widow/er". This would clear up so many other problems, namely the fact that it's impossible to complete the Gold digger LTW when the deceased spouse's ghost is now "fiance". Seeing the fiance's ghost will not complete the Gold Digger wish, but seeing the "deceased spouse" would.
  • APhelpzyAPhelpzy Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Ahh, speaking of family tree problems...

My sim and all her children don't have one. She is a fourth generation sim. I can't even click on the family tree button. When I look at her husband's family tree and then click on her face, everything goes blank. She is supposed to have a family tree full of loving, dead relatives.
  • CyovezBlacksummerCyovezBlacksummer Posts: 206
    edited November 2010
    APhelpzy wrote:

My sim and all her children don't have one. She is a fourth generation sim. I can't even click on the family tree button. When I look at her husband's family tree and then click on her face, everything goes blank. She is supposed to have a family tree full of loving, dead relatives.

I had this same issue several times with various families.
  • GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited December 2010
    The only issue i have with the family tree is dead sims show up as being alive on my family tree. It's just annoying and don't know why it's like this. :)
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • sweetnlowsweetnlow Posts: 17
    edited December 2010
    I am having both of those problems. I had a family who's dad died and he still portrayed as alive. Plus as of downloading the patch, I cannot access the Family Tree at all for anyone. I can click it, but nothing happens. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
  • candystormcandystorm Posts: 321 Member
    edited December 2010
    I have over 10 generations in my family. Since I reinstalled WA, my first 5 generations were wiped out of the family tree. I want them back but don't know how.
    Origin: twinklegalaxy
    Grim-Reaper-Sim.jpg

• TheJoeyx2TheJoeyx2 Posts: 106 New Member
    edited December 2010
    The death = divorce thing is really annoying but I have yet to find a way to fix it without mods (maybe you could try re-marrying them with one as a ghost and see what happens when they die?)

As far as incomplete family trees goes, what I have heard is that to keep things running smoothly the games erases dead sims every now and then so it does not have to hold on to the data. i don't think it is something that is ever going to change.

The dead looking alive thing is a glitch that came with WA (I have not heard complaint of it before that but correct me if I am wrong). Basically t means that the sim has been recycled and is likely living a great life in another country. XD
    edited December 2010
    Well, I hope that they will repair that glitch... I want my family tree to be normal...
  • sweetnlowsweetnlow Posts: 17
    edited December 2010
    I just want to be able to see my family tree. Lol
  • davis6nolliedavis6nollie Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    APhelpzy wrote:

Yeah I've been having the same problem, I created this family and they don't show up in the family tree and when I click on the button nothing pops up. This other sim I created and moved in with them I can still see hers but not the main family. It's frustrating cause I love getting to see the generations. I like to see how many generations I can play through its fun but theirs wont pop up. It was working and suddenly it wasn't. I don't know why either. I hope they fix it soon.

• WintyrWintyr Posts: 241 Member
    edited November 2012
    I hate this! Unfortunately this is actually the way the game is coded. I hate that if my sims don't have kids and one of them dies, there's nothing on the family tree to show they were ever married. I hate that if one of my married sims dies and there were children, there's nothing to show that they were married. I hate that if my widowed sim gets remarried, the children she had with her deceased husband will take on the last name of their new stepfather/her new husband.

I hope that they will work on the family tree in the Sims 3.
  • Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited November 2012
    This thread is a zombie lol! It's back from the dead. It's 2 years old!

Zombie Thread! :mrgreen: :roll: