The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited September 2011
    Hey, having an entrance to a tomb, inside a cave would be ubber cool :)
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited September 2011
    I just tried that. First of all, you can grab the rocks on the lot and move them around. Also, you can't undo the movement even with the undo button when you push the escape button!
    I wish I could place a building inside the rock. It won't work. :x
    edited September 2011
    I noticed that this section doesn't have authors or locations!

Posting & Starting Threads, Info to get you started

Anyways, I think I just found out how to build boats in CA W! CC-free! Do you already have a tut for the, Auntie? I might make several Boat Building tuts if not! 8) Just out of curiosity, where would you put it? in the Lots, Lots, and Lots! section? Or Lot building Tuts with the Tombs subsection? Or as it's own section? :? :?:
    edited October 2011
    Auntie, which thread to I go to for this?

Last night, my Boat Tutorial World crashed while saving and closed. Now, I can't even open it! It says it could not load the files in Boat Tutorial World.
    edited October 2011
    If EIG crashes while saving, and you get that error message when trying to open the world back up, it usually means the global layer did not save properly. I don't know if there is a way to resurrect it. You may need to open up the last save file. You might try posting at MTS in the CAW not running? CAW running slowly? Updated 8 September thread. If anyone would know it would be Simsample.
    edited October 2011
    Kay, thanks! I'll check that out tomorrow!

I finished the third post of my Musical Triggers Thread, too!
    edited October 2011
    I'm trying to come up with some more tomb trick ideas. I've got a really good one, but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

Can you come up with anything?
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited October 2011
    Graveyard Ghosts:

Take a sim household and kill off all but one sim. Have the leftover sim take the graves to the graveyard and place them there and tada! You have ghosts!

Hi Auntielynds,

I want to comment about the Graveyards Ghostst. I'am in the making of my own website about CAW and The Sims 3 and because of that I've tested this. I want to make some nice screenshots that fits the story. I've discovered something.

It's is not possible to save the graveyard with the graves to the library. The only thing that gets saved is a graveyard without graves. Because when you do that, all the graves you have placed will go back to the family inventory of the last surving sim. The games sees the graves as the belongings of the sim because this sim is the one who used here inventory to place the graves.

The only thing you can do about this, is place the graves on you're graveyard and then kill of the last sim. Then a notification pops up which is saying something like: "The end, you can now pick a new family or move in with a existing family". (if this doesn't happen the first time go back to a previous save and do it again. I did this three times, only the first and third time I got this notification). Automatically you get the begin schreen where you can choose a new family. Here you go to EIG, and save the graveyard to the library. The graves will now remain. Which is more convenient because now you have a lot which comes with graves you can use in every game.

I thought you would want to know about this, if you don't already know.

Also, I have a request. Is it oke to put a link of my website in you're library over at the TS3 Creators' Consortium? It's Dutch, afcourse, and called "SimsExpressie" (SimsExpression). The site is more complete than my tutorials you have already linked. Is about CAW and The Sims 3 (although I emphasis CAW more): tutorials (including the ones you have linked) I have made and will make (including translations of existing tutorials), rabbitholes, hobbycorner (inspiration), library, technical support, a forum, and more. The site is about helping simmers to get the most of all the possibilities that CAW and the Sims 3 has to offer. And to do that everything has to work proper, that's why the site also gives technical support with tips, etc.

http://simsexpressie.weebly.com/

I'am still developing, but the site is already good and complete enough to use. I even let some searching engines (google, yahoo, bing) know about my site. But it will take a while to get indexed.

I want you to know, this thing with the graveyard I would still have told you. This has nothing to do with my request, I was planning to asked you this anyway but now I thought there would be no point of sending you two messages.

Please let me now. I hope you also can use the information about the ghostst.

Thank you,
    Greetings Libby
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited October 2011
    I've heard that ghosts kill worlds that are being exported... Did I hear-ed wrong?
    edited October 2011
    The only thing you can do about this, is place the graves on you're graveyard and then kill of the last sim. Then a notification pops up which is saying something like: "The end, you can now pick a new family or move in with a existing family". (if this doesn't happen the first time go back to a previous save and do it again. I did this three times, only the first and third time I got this notification). Automatically you get the begin schreen where you can choose a new family. Here you go to EIG, and save the graveyard to the library. The graves will now remain. Which is more convenient because now you have a lot which comes with graves you can use in every game.

I thought you would want to know about this, if you don't already know.

This is great info Libby :D I didn't know :lol:

Kiwi tea has said before that the XML files for the sims get messed up if they are ghosts, and once you export a world, they revert back to live sims. I haven't done any testing of my own, so would be interested if your approach works to keep them in ghost form. I'll have to play around with it. :D

Your new site looks wonderful! Thank goodness for google translate! :lol: I'll put the link in both this FAQ, and the one at TS3CC.
    edited October 2011
    This is great info Libby I didn't know

Kiwi tea has said before that the XML files for the sims get messed up if they are ghosts, and once you export a world, they revert back to live sims. I haven't done any testing of my own, so would be interested if your approach works to keep them in ghost form. I'll have to play around with it.

Tomorrow I will try this approach in a test CAW world. Within CAW I will go to EIG, place this lot I made today (as described) and is in my library and then I will export the world. And see what happens. I will get back to you with results.
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    I've heard that ghosts kill worlds that are being exported... Did I hear-ed wrong?
    Do you mean literally kill worlds or the same like Auntielynds describes? If its the last, than hopefully tomorrow I will know more.
    Your new site looks wonderful! Thank goodness for google translate! I'll put the link in both this FAQ, and the one at TS3CC.

Thank you. Also for taking a look yourself. I really appreciate that. Today I made this tutorial about graveyard ghosts. Like I said before I wanted to make some screens that fits the story. I ended up with so many screens that I decided to make a tutorial. It's a lot of work (and I'am very particular and precise) but fun.

Talk to you later. Have a good night.

Libby
    edited October 2011
    SimLibby wrote:
    This is great info Libby I didn't know

Kiwi tea has said before that the XML files for the sims get messed up if they are ghosts, and once you export a world, they revert back to live sims. I haven't done any testing of my own, so would be interested if your approach works to keep them in ghost form. I'll have to play around with it.

Tomorrow I will try this approach in a test CAW world. Within CAW I will go to EIG, place this lot I made today (as described) and is in my library and then I will export the world. And see what happens. I will get back to you with results.

Sorry for the dubbelpost. I wanted to make sure you see this message.

I tested it. It seems Kiwi is right. I opened my test CAW world in CAW, made a lot big enough with the setting cemetery, went to EIG, placed the saved cemetary from my library. I saved the world in EIG. Saving was succesfully but I got a black flickering screen a couple of times during saving. This did nog happen before when I saved this world (without this graveyard). Went back to CAW, exported and installed the world. I started a new game with this world, placed some sims. With one sim I went to the cemetary, I stayed there for one simweek, speed 3 (did use testingcheats so the sim would not have to eat, etc.), no ghosts only graves which says remains (instead of the names of the deceased sims). I let the sim also work at the cemetery, this was succesfully. I could save this game. I thought two things were strange (well three if you count the missing ghosts). I let the sim fish a lot. At one point she had level 6. The next day I let here fish again, and the game gave me the notification: "It seems the fish will not bite, mayby you have to try this again when you're level is up". Normally I only get this notification when my sims starts fishing for the first time, not at level 6.

The graveyard was visited by other sims, who where also grieving, but still no ghostst. The second strange thing is that the graveyard was also used as a belt/dumping-ground. All of the sudden game objects, like for example a stereo, where placed. First I thought sims were doing this but before my eyes suddenly this objects dissapeared. The lot setting was still cemetery. This never happened with the game graveyards.

I don't know if there is a connection between this graveyard and the strange things. But I report it just to be sure.

From the map I could not enter some public buildings. I don't know why, this also happened when I exported the world without this graveyard and placed the graveyard during my game. I could only enter the buildings when the sim was standing in front of it. I don't get this, the roads are all connecting.

I tryed a second time. I uninstalled this world, opened CAW and used my backup world. I placed one empty lot with the setting graveyard, exported and installed the world. Then I started a new game, placed some sims and this graveyard from the library. Now there were ghosts. The graves also gave the names of the sims I killed off. The cemetary was again used as a dumping ground. And this thing with not beeing able to enter some (not all) buildings from map view happened again (with connection roads). But there is proberly not a connection with this graveyard. Proberly I made a mistake making this test world in CAW (any ideas?).

So far, my little test. Hope it helps. I also finished my tutorial on how to make graveyard ghosts, as I described before (with killing off the last sim standing). I will include the result of my testing. The tutorial is Dutch, but I used a lot of pictures so you proberly will get it (and like you said google translates well): http://simsexpressie.weebly.com/kerkhof-geesten-maken.html

Thank you for signing my guestbook. Very cool that you are the first person who signed it.

Greetings
    Libby

EDIT:
    I just discovered I did forget to check if they revert back to live sims. But for now I did enough testing and for me this doesn't matter, the only thing that matters to me is that there are no ghosts.

EDIT II:
    I compared my The Sims 3 folder after this testing with my backup.I compared the numbers of items that are in both folders. After this testing my C:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\De Sims 3\DCBackup folder has one item more (678 items) even with my test world succesfully uninstalled. The same backup map has 677 items.

Does anyone know if it's better to place the backup of this folder "DCBackup" back? Or place the complete backup map back?
    (I don't know what this folder does, where it's used for).

EDIT III:
    SimLibby wrote:
    The cemetary was again used as a dumping ground.
    I get it know. This happened because I used a lot that used to be a dumping ground, I only changed the setting to cemetery.

About EDIT II: proberly this doestn't matter. I compared several De C:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\De Sims 3\DCBackup backup folders. The number of items in that folder are different in each backup folder.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MishikinsMishikins Posts: 231 Member
    edited October 2011
    I was wondering if anyone had spotted updated lot sizes for the new lots in Pets? I know it's kind of soon, so I won't hold my breath, but I know a lot of you are connected over various forums so, here's to hoping :D
  • tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited October 2011
    @Everyone:

I've reviewed Appaloosa Plains for its construction and what Pets brings to CAW, I've updated the DT alignments page with Appaloosa's DT coordinates, and I'm going to work on updating Pasimfic Wiki's sortable rabbit hole sizes list soon.

ALSO VERY BAD NEWS: Pets seem to lose some of their data when Portered into CAW. It doesn't work! :( A note about this has been added to the population tutorial.

@SimLibby:

Sims attached to gravestones lose lots of information about themselves when saved, included their relationship with the tombstone. They do actually still haunt the area, but you can't SEE them, only sometimes you'll see thought bubbles floating along the ground where the ghost would be.

The stuff you're seeing dumped is probably objects the not-ghosts have been given by Story Progression, then put down.
    edited October 2011
    @SimLibby:

Sims attached to gravestones lose lots of information about themselves when saved, included their relationship with the tombstone. They do actually still haunt the area, but you can't SEE them, only sometimes you'll see thought bubbles floating along the ground where the ghost would be.

The stuff you're seeing dumped is probably objects the not-ghosts have been given by Story Progression, then put down.

Hi Tea and blues

I've tested the graveyard, I even made pictures and although I also saw the bubbles, I did see the actual ghosts as well. Also, when I saved as described in my previous post, the names of the sims still show when I hoover over the gravestone. But to be sure I will play a little bit longer with this graveyard and talk to the ghosts.

The stuff beeing dumped had proberly to do with the sources. I used a lot that used to be a junkyard and had forgotten to removed the spawns, sources.
  • SheenaFinSheenaFin Posts: 134 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Anyone else noticed that after installing pets and newest game update CAW doesn't work anymore 8( Same problem was with last update but I found this http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=450303 and it worked well until yesterday :evil:
  • tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited October 2011
    Make sure you also revive the ghosts, and check using DebugEnabler's Who Am I? Command to see that they're whole and properly assigned as dead.
    edited October 2011
    How to Build Underwater Lots & Dock Ports

This goes with my How to Build a Boat Pier tutorial. It's the second part to it!
  • IgonIgon Posts: 3 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Anyone can tell how to do that during the start of the game can show the video of the created world.
    edited October 2011
    It's in the world fly-in or preview section.
    edited October 2011
    Make sure you also revive the ghosts, and check using DebugEnabler's Who Am I? Command to see that they're whole and properly assigned as dead.

The DebugEnabler Who Am I is a mod, right? I don't use mods, but I'am reading about it because I had never heard about this and I want to be more familiar with it. But still, I don't think I'am gone use it.

I've been playing around with my cemetery. Trying different things. I can talk to the ghosts but my sims have to be really persisting because the ghosts keep walking away. When I do talk to the ghostst all the traits are still there, the know which school the went too, etc. Also I dragged the tombstone to the residental lot, and there the ghosts stay. I'am gone revive the ghosts with the lab oppurtunity and see what happens.

But thank you for pointing out some things. I thought I had done enough testing but now I know I can do a little bit more.

When I hoover over the gravestone the name of the sim shows. Isn't that a sign they are properly assigned as dead and know who they are?
  • AngelicMiseryAngelicMisery Posts: 397 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I think I'm getting better! Still using CaW's base paints, and my cliffs are very sloppy, but I'm getting there. This was just a flatmap I started messing with about half an hour ago.
    unledpq.jpg

Any tips? I really want some cliffs in my world, so I think that's where I should focus my practice.
    edited October 2011
    Looks good AM. :D

I would use this texture over the top of the rock, with your opacity turned down low, and falloff at about 50%, with just a size 1 or 2 brush. Make squiggly lines over the shale rock texture you have, that will cut down on the tiling effect that's going on now. Also, you can soften the edges just randomly on the top, and bottom edge with the smooth tool, and the gentle hill tool, turned down to just 10-20 opacity.

Hope that makes sense. :lol:
    edited October 2011
    Hey, Auntie, would you mind please adding my tutorial I posted at the bottom of the last page? I think you accidentally skipped over it. Thank you! :D

I'm experimenting new ways to create tombs using Pets. I haven't been very successful - The Hidden Trigger Panel does not work with them, only Sims...
    edited October 2011
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    How to Build Underwater Lots & Dock Ports

This goes with my How to Build a Boat Pier tutorial. It's the second part to it!

Got it BB :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top