October 11 - It's Friday, and that means Friday Highlight is here! Check it out!
October 10 - A new The Sims 4 update is ready for you on Xbox One and PlayStation 4! Details here
October 3 - Patch day for The Sims 4 on PC/Mac! Find the details here.
Playing on macOS Lion (10.7)? Please, read this before updating your game.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

1242526272830...Next

Comments

• FunkycormFunkycorm Posts: 50 Member
    Thank you for compiling all this information. I am just starting my first world now.
  • WorldSerpentWorldSerpent Posts: 2 New Member
    I would like to know how you get this thing to work in the first place. I've tried using CAW in the past and it's completely unresponsive. Both on my last computer and on this one, CAW does not work. And worse, it bogs down my computer. It's worse than useless, forcing me to restart my computer.

How do you get it to work?
  • Osmo95Osmo95 Posts: 7 New Member
    hi, :)

Version English

I'm looking for a tutorial that allows you to change the custom pattern like the color changes of the sims 3 game, I think I've seen it but I can not find it anywhere.

How change an objets of

I creating a world futuristic and

I want to change from other patter, without the need for a clone

Versión en Español

Estoy buscando un tutorial que te permita cambiar el patrón personalizado como los cambios de colores del juego de sims 3, creo que lo he visto por ahí sin duda alguna no puedo encontrarlo en ningún lado, o eso creo yo.

Lo que yo quiero es cambiar el patrón de un objeto a otro sin que afecte de la misma interferencia del objeto
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 116 Member
    I write here because I don't want starting new thread and mess this section of forum. I hope someone will see this.

What would you consider a good community/residential lots ratio?
    In world I'm making now I have 50 residential and 26 community. There is no enough community lots but I like when it's more residential in worlds.

But there is no more space to make more lots and that's where problem lies.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 35,662 Member
    @chojrak wrote: »
    I write here because I don't want starting new thread and mess this section of forum. I hope someone will see this.

What would you consider a good community/residential lots ratio?
    In world I'm making now I have 50 residential and 26 community. There is no enough community lots but I like when it's more residential in worlds.

But there is no more space to make more lots and that's where problem lies.

Hi :)

I don't know. I guess it's what the player wants. I would have more community lots than residential because I don't play more than 1 household. I would combine as many community lots as I could just to make it easier for me to go places and have Sims there.
  • CoryleaCorylea Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm running the game under patch 1.69, and when I try to use "Edit in Game" in CAW, Origin starts up. I've read a bunch of threads, and most of them have one person saying that we have to buy a new copy of the base game. Seriously? Buying all eleven expansion packs wasn't enough?! I'm supposed to buy the base game a second time, just to have CAW actually work?

Is anyone running CAW under the 1.69 patch and having EIG work?

I've removed all custom content, and I just reinstalled the game from the ground up about a month ago, on a brand new SSD. New install, no mods folder ... why isn't it working?
  • KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited April 9
    Corylea wrote: »
    I'm running the game under patch 1.69, and when I try to use "Edit in Game" in CAW, Origin starts up. I've read a bunch of threads, and most of them have one person saying that we have to buy a new copy of the base game. Seriously? Buying all eleven expansion packs wasn't enough?! I'm supposed to buy the base game a second time, just to have CAW actually work?

Is anyone running CAW under the 1.69 patch and having EIG work?

I've removed all custom content, and I just reinstalled the game from the ground up about a month ago, on a brand new SSD. New install, no mods folder ... why isn't it working?

I have never heard that we need to buy a new base game...how odd! I don't think that is the issue but origin always starts up whenever the launcher starts, they always run together now and it does not interfere with building worlds in my experience. You can close origin when your launcher starts but it will just open up again.
    Edit to ask, does your launcher also start and open up your EIG? It should do it. If it is not opening EIG at all, do you have the newest version of CAW?
    KarilynMonroe2 said:

@KarilynMonroe2 wrote:
    >
    > I have never heard that we need to buy a new base game...how odd! I don't think that is the issue but origin always starts up
    > whenever the launcher starts, they always run together now and it does not interfere with building worlds in my experience.
    > You can close origin when your launcher starts but it will just open up again.

It's on the list of things in the FAQ, actually. (I'd leave you the link, but the forum software won't let me.)

> @KarilynMonroe2 said:
    >
    > Edit to ask, does your launcher also start and open up your EIG? It should do it. If it is not opening EIG at all, do you have the
    > newest version of CAW?

I downloaded CAW recently, but just to be sure, I downloaded it again yesterday. Yes, I do have the new version. The launcher starts, but it does not open my EIG; it will only open the normal game in a separate window. So I can play Sunset Valley, but that doesn't exactly help... :-)

I have the 1.69 patch, so the launcher wants me to choose which expansion packs I want. Is there some EP combo that EIG is expecting?

Thanks for trying to help!

(I apologize for not making a pretty quotation like you did; for some reason, the forum software isn't letting me do that.)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,557 Member
    Corylea wrote: »
    KarilynMonroe2 said:

@KarilynMonroe2 wrote:
    >
    > I have never heard that we need to buy a new base game...how odd! I don't think that is the issue but origin always starts up
    > whenever the launcher starts, they always run together now and it does not interfere with building worlds in my experience.
    > You can close origin when your launcher starts but it will just open up again.

It's on the list of things in the FAQ, actually. (I'd leave you the link, but the forum software won't let me.)

> @KarilynMonroe2 said:
    >
    > Edit to ask, does your launcher also start and open up your EIG? It should do it. If it is not opening EIG at all, do you have the
    > newest version of CAW?

I downloaded CAW recently, but just to be sure, I downloaded it again yesterday. Yes, I do have the new version. The launcher starts, but it does not open my EIG; it will only open the normal game in a separate window. So I can play Sunset Valley, but that doesn't exactly help... :-)

I have the 1.69 patch, so the launcher wants me to choose which expansion packs I want. Is there some EP combo that EIG is expecting?

Thanks for trying to help!

(I apologize for not making a pretty quotation like you did; for some reason, the forum software isn't letting me do that.)

You have to have the rank as a member - not a new member to use the quote as Karilyn did.

As to your other question about a new game - as far as I know the only ones that had to buy a new game to use CAW was those who bought the base game through Steam as steam did not allow the CAW program to work through Steam. If you bought your version at a regular store or Origin or EA - and it is only registered via Origin CAW will work for you. Now if you are trying to edit a EA/Maxis world - that is your problem as they are finished worlds and finished world cannot go into CAW - you need their CAW files to edit already finished world which need to be gotten from who ever made those worlds. EA/Maxis does not share any of the worlds or didn't last I knew - so it is impossible to put them into CAW for most of us anyway. So if we wanted to remake an EA world - well we had to make it from scratch in CAW or find a simmer who had already done that and ask them for a copy of their CAW files for those worlds. I have not messed with those files in a long time - before Sims 3 was in Origin even - but there used to be a Simmer that has redone a lot of the Maxis world over at modtheSims where she had also fixed all the routing errors in those worlds who used to share the files. I don't know if she still does that but her name is Ellacharmed. She also shared files on her own site - so do a search for Ellacharmed and maybe she can still help you out that way. I also do not know how any of this will work through Origin though so perhaps talking with Simmers or Ella at modthesims can help you out.

As for if you have the proper files to run CAW - have you tried making a world - a small one to test if it works on your game. That's the best way to know if it is working for you and to also let you learn how to use it. It is a world building program technically - not an editing program. As I said you have to have CAW world files to edit them and not already finished worlds.

Hope that helps and s not too confusing. Okay I have to go - have a doctors appointment - so I won't be here to answer further question but I am sure other will help you out here and at modthesims if you ask. Good luck and enjoy CAW.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

> @Writin_Reg said:
    >
    > As to your other question about a new game - as far as I know the only ones that had to buy a new game to use CAW was
    > those who bought the base game through Steam as steam did not allow the CAW program to work through Steam. If you
    > bought your version at a regular store or Origin or EA - and it is only registered via Origin CAW will work for you.

I have the NON-Steam version of the game. I actually bought the game on disc the day it came out, but it was converted to the "go social" version through some Origin process.

> Now if you are trying to edit a EA/Maxis world - that is your problem as they are finished worlds and finished world cannot go into CAW

Goodness, no, I am NOT trying to edit a finished world; I know better than that. I made a world a couple of years ago, so I'm familiar with the old version of CAW. I stopped working in CAW for a couple of years due to other interests, and when I came back to it, I found that the new, Origin-flavored version wouldn't let me use EIG.

(My account says that I'm a newbie, but I used to be active back in the Sims 1 days; I guess they purge old accounts that haven't been used for awhile. Rest assured that I've been simming for quite some time. :-D)

> As for if you have the proper files to run CAW - have you tried making a world - a small one to test if it works on your game.
    > That's the best way to know if it is working for you and to also let you learn how to use it. It is a world building program
    > technically - not an editing program.

Yes, I've tried making a world, and it works fine except for the Edit in Game part. Origin comes up and then the launcher, but the launcher only lets me play completed worlds, it doesn't let me do EIG in CAW.

Could someone post a screenshot of what the launcher looks like when it's launching Edit in Game properly? That might help me figure out what's going wrong...

Thanks!