Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 Launcher opens Internet Explorer rather than the default browser

Sometimes when I Click a link in The Sims 3 Game Launcher, It opens Internet Explorer rather than my default browser (Such as Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome etc.). Removing Internet Explorer in Windows 7 doesn't fix this issue and this issue has still been on since the original The Sims 3. Has anybody been frustrated that The Sims 3 Launcher won't open your default browser such as Firefox?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Options
    IamMamainredIamMamainred Posts: 7,042 New Member
    edited August 2010
    There is nothing you can do to change this, the game by default uses windows explorer & can be reset to use another one.
  • Options
    geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    edited February 2011
    Sorry for opening up an old topic but I too would prefer the launcher to open Chrome instead of IE. How can you change the default and if not then why not?
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited February 2011
    Hi,

By design, the Sims 3 launcher requires Internet Explorer for online connectivity. There is no way to substitute another web browser within the launcher itself. Note that while the launcher and EADM are required to download Store content or automatic game updates, you can run another, separate web browser to download Exchange content.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    Craftylady527Craftylady527 Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Ok Im having a totally differnet problem there I want sims o open in internet explorer but it always uses google chrome (which I dont like) and i want to use my internet explorer what do i do
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited February 2013
    Ok Im having a totally differnet problem there I want sims o open in internet explorer but it always uses google chrome (which I dont like) and i want to use my internet explorer what do i do

So now its opening chrome instead of IE? that's weird mine opens IE(which I hate IE) Try uninstalling chrome.
  • Options
    ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited February 2013

Do you mean when you click a link in the launcher it opens in Chrome instead of IE? If so, mine does too, because I have Chrome set as my default browser.
  • Options
    p-para-Xylenep-para-Xylene Posts: 230 Member
    edited March 2013
    Like Craftlady, IE is my default browser and the Sims only opens Chrome.
    I don't want to uninstall Chrome - any suggestions?
    Wish list free since 2015-02-23
  • Options
    CombComb Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Yes, I'm having the same problem with my game as well, the internet explorer rather than chrome is opening as my default but I would like to make Google chrome my default for the Sims3. Google chrome is already set as my default for my computer, but it won't respond to my Sims3 launcher? does anyone have any suggestions to this type of problem? I can't play my game due to this problem because none of my work will be saved on the game and I can't get into the exchange or the store. Please help as soon as possible! Thank you!
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited August 2013
    Comb wrote:
    Yes, I'm having the same problem with my game as well, the internet explorer rather than chrome is opening as my default but I would like to make Google chrome my default for the Sims3. Google chrome is already set as my default for my computer, but it won't respond to my Sims3 launcher? does anyone have any suggestions to this type of problem? I can't play my game due to this problem because none of my work will be saved on the game and I can't get into the exchange or the store. Please help as soon as possible! Thank you!

hi comb and welcome

IE for PC game is necessary for the reasons that Nichaedemus stated above,
    Hi,

By design, the Sims 3 launcher requires Internet Explorer for online connectivity. There is no way to substitute another web browser within the launcher itself. Note that while the launcher and EADM are required to download Store content or automatic game updates, you can run another, separate web browser to download Exchange content.

that said you should be able to access the website with any web browser what happens when you try to open the site on chrome?

also saving your game shouldn't involves the web or are you using the EA cloud option, can you add more info re this problem

• Options
    MentalSyluMMentalSyluM Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    Okay, I have the opposite problem. I want the launcher to open IE. Internet Explorer is my default browser for my computer (I have already double checked this) but Sims 3 Launcher opens Google Chrome whenever I click a link. I would really like an answer as why this is and how I can fix this if anyone can help.
  • Options
    amyy93842amyy93842 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I know this is a late reply, but I have recently started having this problem. I un-installed all of my sims 3 games and installed them again. My launcher used to bring up the sims 3 store through chrome, however once I'd installed the games again it came up in explorer.
    I had to go into my control panel, select programmes, then default programmes, then I went down to the bottom link that should say 'set programme access and computer defaults'. I then clicked onto custom, and clicked 'Google Chrome' for my default we browser. There will also be a box at the side of internet explorer that says 'enable access to this program' untick that and save the changes. This worked for me, I'm sure it will work the other way around as well. Hope this helps you all.
  • Options
    AnthonoAnthono Posts: 904 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Would it really be so hard to allow it handles other browsers?
    Just started experiencing this yesterday.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    amyy93842 wrote:
    I know this is a late reply, but I have recently started having this problem. I un-installed all of my sims 3 games and installed them again. My launcher used to bring up the sims 3 store through chrome, however once I'd installed the games again it came up in explorer.
    I had to go into my control panel, select programmes, then default programmes, then I went down to the bottom link that should say 'set programme access and computer defaults'. I then clicked onto custom, and clicked 'Google Chrome' for my default we browser. There will also be a box at the side of internet explorer that says 'enable access to this program' untick that and save the changes. This worked for me, I'm sure it will work the other way around as well. Hope this helps you all.
    It still won't work for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bump
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited July 2014
    Anthono wrote:
    bump

why are you bumping this dead when you already have your own thread on the same topic? http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/761152.page

to repeat nic myself and others again, the game must use IE - IE is more then a web browser it contains additional programs the game and site use. but you can as others have also stated have a different default browser, like i use firefox.

if your default browser is not working then search for steps to reset it as the default. but you must keep IE, related programs and windows up to date for the game/launcher to run properly

now if you cant update IE for reasons like XP then seek assistance with livechat, select HELP at the bottom of the page.

and moving forward can you please pick one thread and only use the one thread as the rules require - but more importantly spreading your issues/information in different threads makes it hard for others to help.
  • Options
    havanamailhavanamail Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Anthono said:
    > amyy93842 wrote:
    >
    > I know this is a late reply, but I have recently started having this problem. I un-installed all of my sims 3 games and installed them again. My launcher used to bring up the sims 3 store through chrome, however once I'd installed the games again it came up in explorer.
    > I had to go into my control panel, select programmes, then default programmes, then I went down to the bottom link that should say 'set programme access and computer defaults'. I then clicked onto custom, and clicked 'Google Chrome' for my default we browser. There will also be a box at the side of internet explorer that says 'enable access to this program' untick that and save the changes. This worked for me, I'm sure it will work the other way around as well. Hope this helps you all.
    >
    >
    >
    > It still won't work for me.

Amy's way works - In addition to setting your browser of choice in the browser itself you need to also set it on your computer. I am using windows 8

- Control Panel - Programs- Default programs - Set your default programs
    Then you go to your browser of choice and set it there too
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    I'm closing this discussion given how old it is. Let's please try not to revive years-old discussions, thanks!
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top