Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Optimizing Your PC - Improving speed, performance, & reliability

301lg80.jpg
iw0sp3.jpg2kewjo.jpg2vajwbt.jpg

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░dots_ver700777.gif

2zjgzo7.jpg mh7fxx.jpg 11bub5x.jpg

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░dots_ver700777.gif

nqyauu.jpg
Welcome to the Optimizing your PC thread. Now before I begin, I must inform you that this is a PC only thread. Why? Macs are not my specialty. I must also inform you that this is not a thread on how your computer works, but a thread which gives advice for a better preforming PC. Please read everything before you preform anything suggested as there are some things you should know beforehand.

lineSep_Regn_access_ver700777.gif

sg3dya.jpg
- Update in progress!
Computer optimization section will be expanded. (Delayed until further notice)

lineSep_Regn_access_ver700777.gif

5mwqbs.jpg

Short Guide
Categories
1 - Computer Cleanup
2 - AntiVirus

Helpful links
Categories
1 - General

dots_ver700777.gif
v65jex.jpg

Comments

• Walden95Walden95 Posts: 3,089 Member
    edited August 2010
    2co4mjq.jpg
    2hdp72p.jpg98twkg.jpg15qb70w.jpg4sfo5g.jpg

When computers are used, they fill up with useless data, spyware, malware, and a bunch of other goodies which slow down your computer. Whether these things on your PC are harmful or harmless, they take up valuable space and or processing power for little reason at all. A few recommendations on what you can do on cheep to better improve your PC today.

Categories
    1 - Computer Cleanup
    ---- Introduction
    ---- Basic information
    ---- Great Add-ons

2 - AntiVirus
    ---- Introduction
    ---- 1: avast
    ---- 2: AVG Free AntiVirus
    ---- 3: Microsoft Security Essentials

◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙dots_ver700777.gif
    1 - Computer Cleanup

Introduction
    In the past I've used quite a few cleanup and programs to maintain windows. One of the best free solutions I recommend for anyone to use is Advanced System Care. It's an easy to use program that almost anyone can use. For a free program, it gets the job done fairly well. Although, there are better programs out there, I recommend Advanced Steamy Care as the leading free program. It's fast, easy to use, and most importantly of all get's the job done with little to no issues at all.

mwd4ky.jpg

Basic information
    The program is split into three main menus: Maintain Windows, Diagnose System and Utilities.

Maintain Windows
    Spyware removal - Removes adware and spyware
    Registry fix - Improves PC Performance (just about everything uses the Registry)
    Privacy sweep - Deletes activity history, surfing traces, etc.
    Junk Files Clean - Deletes Unnecessary Windows Temporary Files,etc.

Diagnose System
    System Optimization - Example: Unnecessary running process or inefficient settings
    Security Defense - Optimizes security to prevent future virus infections
    Disk Defragment - Rearranges your hard drive to reduce the load on your processor
    Security Analyzer - Discovers hijacked settings

Utilities
    Utilities is where you access add-ons for the Advanced System Care utility program. Utilities is divided up into three tabs: Tuneup, Security, and Admin Tools. I do not recommend using the Admin Tools tab if you are not an advanced PC user as this may cause issues if not used properly. Also, I don't recommend the IOBit Security application, there are better programs out there.

Website
    Download

Great Add-ons
    All add-ons can be downloaded by clicking on the icon in the utilities section of Advanced System Care.

Smart Defrag
    Smart Defrag is a Simple Program that rearranges files on your hard drive into a more efficient format. When a hard drive is fragmented, information is inefficiently spaced apart. As files are created and deleted on your computer, information is separated or spaced thought the hard drive. Because files are further apart, your processor takes longer to retrieve files. When a hard drive is defragemented, your computer can efficiently process information which leads to shorter loading times or loading screens in the Sims 3. Defragmenting can be a long process depending on your computer's specs. I recommend running the program overnight.

Game Booster
    Game Booster is a program which temporary shuts down unnecessary background programs and services freeing RAM and processing power which translates into reduced lag and higher settings for games. Be sure to turn off gaming mode, because services such as connections to your printer and windows search will not function as they are turned off by this program. Be sure to open up Game Booster when you are finished and switch back to normal mode because of this.

◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙dots_ver700777.gif
    2 - AntiVirus

Introduction
    If you ever used a computer before, you've probably already realized that it clogs up fairly fast if you are not properly protected. Seeing that paying for antivirus was a little troublesome, I've gone through quite a few free programs to see which ones work the best. Now this isn't going to be a review on all of the programs I've used, but instead will be a brief selection with deceptions attached. If you already have an antivirus program installed whether free or not, it's not recommended to have two or more at once; more than one antivirus programs usually end up taking away each others ability's to protect your computer. Also, as this whole guide is just one massive word of advice; you should read up on all the choices out there, and seek advice from your local geek.

1: avast
    Avast is my top pick as it's very user friendly while giving enough control for more advanced users to synchronize the tool to fit perfectly with their computer's specs. Avast's features include...

- User friendly while giving options for more advanced users
    - It's a complete tool meaning that it protects you from the internet, email, your personal files, and even from your instant messages!
    - It's an all-access program which means that it can completely replace antivirus from companies such as Norton or McAfee which charge for access to service and updates.
    - Contently scanning incoming, outgoing, and even local documents stored on your computer when opened.
    - Includes a silent mode to hide alerts during gaming and other full-screen activities
    - Includes a heuristics engine which detects previously unknown threats
    - Updates automatically

Website
    Download

208xld3.jpg

2: AVG Free AntiVirus
    I've been using AVG for quite a long time and will say that it gives you everything you'd expect if you were to pay for a program. Like avast, AVG's interface is very simple and easy to use. However, it doesn't give you the same amount of tweaking capability or a game mode. Features include...

- User Friendly
    - It's an all-access program which means that it can completely replace antivirus from companies such as Norton or McAfee which charge for access to service and updates.
    - Includes fully functional antivirus and antispyware engines
    - Includes email scanner
    - Updates automatically

Website
    Download

2vnm7ev.jpg

3: Microsoft Security Essentials
    Microsoft Security Essentials is third on the list mainly because it's the easiest to use out of the three through my experiences. Also, as you may have expected, Microsoft Security Essentials is made by Microsoft: the company that makes the Windows Operating System (Ex: Windows, XP, Vista, and 7). Also, it does not include a gaming mode so be interrupted when gaming is a possibility. Features include...

- User friendly
    - Includes fully functional engines guarding against viruses and most kinds of malware.
    - Updates automatically

Website
    Download

9s47qq.jpg

dots_ver700777.gif
    v65jex.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2010
    nowtio.jpg
    2hdp72p.jpg98twkg.jpg15qb70w.jpg4sfo5g.jpg

This area includes a few extras from other helpful people of the Simming community who were thoughtful of others in sharing some useful advice.

KEY
    2089r0i.jpg - Recommended
    [OS] - Off site (Not on thesims3.com)

Categories
    1 - General

1 - General
    2089r0i.jpgProtect your computer & make the game run smoother [OS Blog] - By MewStrawberry
    This guide is aimed at optimizing game performance & to inform you on the dangers of running The Sims 3 without forcing Vertical Sync on.

2089r0i.jpgWalden95 Post Directory - By Walden95
    The Walden95 Post Directory offers a wide selection of very helpful to usually creative selection of posts all bound up in neat and organized directory.

Are you Overheating? [A guide] - By Lozzykinz
    Unsure if your graphics card is overheating? Here is a guide on how to find out if it is.

dots_ver700777.gif
    v65jex.jpg
    edited August 2010
    160bl39.jpg
    2hdp72p.jpgvzho38.jpg15qb70w.jpg4sfo5g.jpg

(Reserved for thread expansion)

dots_ver700777.gif
    v65jex.jpg
  • KittycattylionKittycattylion Posts: 3,934 Member
    edited August 2010
    definitely bookmarking! <3
    a.k.a. Pixelpuppetry
    edited August 2010
    NVM
  • sonicsim7sonicsim7 Posts: 138 Member
    edited August 2010
    Yay! Appreciate the help you're giving us noobs!

Hope you have tips for us with OLD computers... mine meets only the minimum requirements...so im playing with all settings on low.
    edited August 2010
    [Update: The thread has just been completed]
  • Dblue055Dblue055 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks again Walden95. You are one very helpful person. And thanks again for the free stuff page too.
    261a8405-8332-45e6-91d2-86a92a948212_zps31d10c21.jpg
  • Supe10Supe10 Posts: 700 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Is this sp....... never mind.
  • IstongoIstongo Posts: 626 Member
    edited August 2010
    This guide is very helpful and lots of good informations for us to perform easy clean up for our computers. Thank you Walden!
    edited August 2010
    Glad to help. :-)
  • PlyrAnnie110PlyrAnnie110 Posts: 253 New Member
    edited August 2010
    WOW!
    You put a lot of time and effort into this, a lot of people (including I) will benefit from this thread :)
  • MaryJosMaryJos Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited August 2010
    Thank you for this thread, I'm trying the Advance System Care right now... I have a lot of junk on my comp...
  • NpisvajNpisvaj Posts: 729 Member
    edited August 2010
    You will also notice increased performance with a Microsoft operating system if you open the task manager while the game is open and set the process (TS3.exe for the base game) priority from "Normal" to "Above Normal." (High and Realtime, I tested, is unstable) Works and performs like a charm.
  • IamMamainredIamMamainred Posts: 7,042 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Thank you Walden95, will be bookmarking this to give to players !
  • DeathNoteSimDeathNoteSim Posts: 4,544 New Member
    edited August 2010
    thank U 4 this Walden95! very helpful :thumbup:
  • DIJITDIJIT Posts: 67
    edited November 2010
    sonicsim7 wrote:
    Yay! Appreciate the help you're giving us noobs!

Hope you have tips for us with OLD computers... mine meets only the minimum requirements...so im playing with all settings on low.
    your not n00b if you dont this stuff...alot of people dont. And im not sure that this can help with computers default settings.
  • Starbart_MatterStarbart_Matter Posts: 84
    edited September 2010
    Guys – it’s not a memory problem, nor is it a graphics problem. When users with lower spec graphics are having no problems, then the likes of me with a GTX 275 or above have that 3-sec lag, it’s not a graphics issue. Neither is it a CPU problem; I have an i7 930 which is more than adequate to run Sims. I have 3Gig RAM too.

I noticed that a fresh Game – in a fresh town, has no lags whatsoever. But when I load an old save, that did have the lag, the lag is recreated! This is a coding issue. EA should provide some sort of Save-clean-up tool to iron out the cause of the lag. It’s not a direct Game fault, since its fine on a new World….it’s the way files are saved.
    edited September 2010
    Guys – it’s not a memory problem, nor is it a graphics problem. When users with lower spec graphics are having no problems, then the likes of me with a GTX 275 or above have that 3-sec lag, it’s not a graphics issue. Neither is it a CPU problem; I have an i7 930 which is more than adequate to run Sims. I have 3Gig RAM too.

I noticed that a fresh Game – in a fresh town, has no lags whatsoever. But when I load an old save, that did have the lag, the lag is recreated! This is a coding issue. EA should provide some sort of Save-clean-up tool to iron out the cause of the lag. It’s not a direct Game fault, since its fine on a new World….it’s the way files are saved.

I understand, and I do agree with that for many portions of the game. However, this was not a thread intended to point that out. Instead, this is just a thread on optimizing your PC for best gameplay experience and overall PC performance. It's just meant for making the best of what we have; it could be better from what you mentioned, but we got to deal with what we got.
  • freakshow6661freakshow6661 Posts: 38 New Member
    edited October 2010
    So this Advanced System Care 3 is not harmful to my PC? It is not spywere or anything like that?
    edited October 2010
    So this Advanced System Care 3 is not harmful to my PC? It is not spywere or anything like that?

None of the programs I listed are spyware and are only meant to help you and your computer so no, it isn't. However, don't freak out if it asks you to buy the full program after a scan or has an ad to the side; the companies who make these programs aren't giving software out for nothing. These programs are more like powerful demos to get you to buy their full product. Again, it's just a small ad which only shows when you complete a scan and such. Just for the heads up. :P
  • freakshow6661freakshow6661 Posts: 38 New Member
    edited October 2010
    @Walden95 Are You aware that the 'Free Stuff' Thread has been removed? :shock:
  • kevintwohig99kevintwohig99 Posts: 131 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Just a quick note that the current version of AVG is flagging Advanced System Care as Malware.
    edited October 2010
    Yes freakshow6661, I have noticed that and I'm currently in the process of restoring it along with the Directory which was also deleted.

And kevintwohig99, I'll have to look into that. I've used AVG before, but it's no longer my current antivirus. Thanks for bringing that up.
  • ExcLusiv3ExcLusiv3 Posts: 984
    edited October 2010
    The only thing i disagree on is the advanced system care

Use ccleaner instead to clean out your registry instead