Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to delete lot objects via "Edit In Game" mode.

AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
Okay, so here's an odd error that my girlfriend and I hit today while using CAW:

We were changing the furnishings on a lot and wanted to delete the items that had been initially placed there. When we clicked on those items with the "hand" tool, it wasn't possible to move them; the "hand" tool remained an arrow. Any attempts to use Create-A-Style also failed; CAS simply put up an error message that read "unable to recolor object," with the check mark to acknowledge the message. What's even weirder is that if the lot was exported from CAW and imported into the game, or viewed outside of "Edit in Game" mode, the items themselves were "cloaked" for lack of a better term. The invisible objects acted as if they still existed; you couldn't place anything where they supposedly are, but there was no way to delete/sell them and/or move them or make them appear.

Has anyone else had this error? It doesn't sound like the "object out of bounds" error, because CAW won't even acknowledge that these items exist. I have tried virtually everything to delete them, the hand tool, the sledgehammer, deleting them in the game itself, deleting them outside of EIG and nothing works. I've rebuilt the routing data multiple times, and these objects won't disappear. If anyone can offer me any help, I'd greatly appreciate it. My next step is to attempt to pull an earlier version of the house from a back up, clone it again, drop it into my world and copy all of the changes that have been made onto the newly "cloned" version, and delete the house with the objects that can't be deleted. I would really like to avoid this if there's a simpler solution, because it's going to take hours to make all of the changes again and ensure that they're 100% accurate 1:1 copies.

My game has no CC in it beyond a few free promotional items from the EA store, the copy of the game that I'm using for CAW is the base game only; WA, HELS, and Ambitions have not been installed yet. My game and CAW are up to date. Also, the computer that I use for CAW doesn't have internet access on it unless I tether it to one of my Mac's and allow it to share a Wi-Fi connection, so I can't easily post any pictures of the problem that I'm having. If anyone has a workaround, I'd appreciate it though, again, thank you all in advance for your time. :)

Comments

• auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited July 2010
    It sounds like the lot file was corrupted somehow. I have had this happen, and did what you just suggested; remove that lot and replace.
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited July 2010
    It sounds like the lot file was corrupted somehow. I have had this happen, and did what you just suggested; remove that lot and replace.

Thanks, Auntielynds. :)

Ugh, this is going to be a pain in the butt to do though. My girlfriend and I have put a painstaking amount of detail into this lot, so I'm going to have to go and make a 1:1 copy now and then delete the "old" lot and replace it with the new one. At least we only finished two rooms and started on a third before this happened though, so it could have been a lot worse. Of course, this is one of two lots on a suburban street where I actually bothered to change the color of the house already, so I'll also have to do that again. While I'm glad that it wasn't a "unique/one-of-a-kind" lot that corrupted itself, I'm not happy that it was one of two lots that has received a good deal of attention already that corrupted itself. I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow/later today. Again, thanks for the tip. :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2010
    Tell me is any of the items called a knock knock door and a shuttered window?

Or is it you just haven't learned that some things in edit do not always delete like they used to - as I discovered some things you have to grab with the hand and at the same time click the delete button on your keyboard to delete them. Did you try that?
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....