Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fireworks Extravaganza

I thought that in honor of the 4th of July, that I'd set off some fireworks for my Sims. It turns out that if you have at least 5 fireworks (buyable from the Chinese General Merchant), that you can have an "extravaganza" of fireworks.

So, I told my Sim to set it off, but neglected to tell them to go outside first. Big mistake. My Sim set off a fire in their dining room (and none of the fireworks were visible from the map view like a normal fireworks.)

I did have her set off another "extravaganza" but sent her outside first. Very nice effects! (And no fires outside.)

Comments

• Corwin_AlexanderCorwin_Alexander Posts: 533 Member
    edited July 2010
    KatAnubis wrote:
    I did have her set off another "extravaganza" but sent her outside first. Very nice effects! (And no fires outside.)

You do know that you can send multiple sims to set off extravaganzas all at once, right? Try it some time. The best I've coordinated was three (I tried five, but two didn't get out the door :? )
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited July 2010
    She's still in China, on adventure. The family is still at home. I may get some more fireworks and have her try it when she gets back home.
    edited July 2010
    When my Sim got home from China, I had her give fireworks to the rest of the adults in the house and the 4 of them shot off 4 firework extravaganzas. It was quite a show!

And they got a 10 point moodlet for "a good show." She didn't get that when she shot them off as an extravaganza by herself.
    edited July 2010
    :D

I'm glad you tried it out. There really are some things I love about WA.

Edit: *someone* should make a movie... if no one beats me to it, I think it'll be me :wink:

New edit: I think the "good show" moodlet happens even if you only do one extravaganza... it's because there were other people watching... I think.
    edited July 2010
    New edit: I think the "good show" moodlet happens even if you only do one extravaganza... it's because there were other people watching... I think.

Maybe my Sim didn't get the moodlet because she was by herself when she set them off. Having an audience wouldn't make that much difference though, would it?
  • iammypersonaiammypersona Posts: 1,968 New Member
    edited July 2010
    KatAnubis wrote:
    I thought that in honor of the 4th of July, that I'd set off some fireworks for my Sims. It turns out that if you have at least 5 fireworks (buyable from the Chinese General Merchant), that you can have an "extravaganza" of fireworks.

So, I told my Sim to set it off, but neglected to tell them to go outside first. Big mistake. My Sim set off a fire in their dining room (and none of the fireworks were visible from the map view like a normal fireworks.)

:lol: I didn't know you could do that. Thanks! :D
  • SmeeliaSmeelia Posts: 2,334 New Member
    edited July 2010
    KatAnubis wrote:
    Maybe my Sim didn't get the moodlet because she was by herself when she set them off. Having an audience wouldn't make that much difference though, would it?

It could be that the one setting off the Fireworks doesn't get the moodlet but anyone watching does, so when you have several sims setting off fireworks they are also watching each others displays (and thus all get the moodlet).

Has anyone tried setting Fireworks with a "Clumsy" sim? Could be fun :).
    edited July 2010
    Smeelia wrote:
    Has anyone tried setting Fireworks with a "Clumsy" sim? Could be fun :).

Wait, your profile doesn't say you're evil. :wink:
    edited July 2010
    It has probably already been said but I was tinkering around with the tomb building tools the other day and realised that you could set fireworks to launch with triggers from other objects. That means you can have a switch that launches fireworks or you could even set up a Processor that launches a set of fireworks in a sequence.

Here's a thread from a little while ago about using the Processor to change light colours in a sequence, using fireworks should be much the same if anyone is interested:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/189993.page

Apparently this is my 1337th post, is that worthy of a firework celebration? Any excuse I say :).
    edited July 2010
    Smeelia wrote:
    Apparently this is my 1337th post, is that worthy of a firework celebration? Any excuse I say :).

I was going to reply to the bit about triggering fireworks with a tomb item (which I think is utterly cool, but I don't make tombs or edit lots myself), but I thought it was worth a mention that at work (in a large data centre) we have a large digital clock on the wall (in 24h time). Every day at 1:37 pm I observe a 1 minute dance break, starting it with "It's Hacker Time... do do-do-doot, do-doot, do-doot - do do-do-doot, do-doot, do-doot; break it down".

Yeah, I really am that corny.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2010
    Tip to getting all eight to do it at once: Put eight seats outside, make sure all have the fireworks, pause, tell each to do the extravaganza, go to map view, unpause, watch the show :)
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
    edited July 2010
    I was going to reply to the bit about triggering fireworks with a tomb item (which I think is utterly cool, but I don't make tombs or edit lots myself), but I thought it was worth a mention that at work (in a large data centre) we have a large digital clock on the wall (in 24h time). Every day at 1:37 pm I observe a 1 minute dance break, starting it with "It's Hacker Time... do do-do-doot, do-doot, do-doot - do do-do-doot, do-doot, do-doot; break it down".

Yeah, I really am that corny.

I tend to celebrate that holiday every day too, I don't usually do a dance though so I might have to start :).
    Tip to getting all eight to do it at once: Put eight seats outside, make sure all have the fireworks, pause, tell each to do the extravaganza, go to map view, unpause, watch the show :)

If you use the free camera mode (press "Tab") then you can tilt the camera up from a Sim point of view and watch the show, I think that's kind of cool :).
    edited August 2010
    :D

I'm glad you tried it out. There really are some things I love about WA.

Edit: *someone* should make a movie... if no one beats me to it, I think it'll be me :wink:

Well, it took me a while, but here it is... I hope you're not disappointed:
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=253754
    edited August 2010
    Durn! It wouldn't play for me!
    edited August 2010
    KatAnubis wrote:
    Durn! It wouldn't play for me!

That really is too bad. It is, um entertaining... in my opinion, of course.
    edited August 2010
    Second (though still unsatisfactory) attempt:
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=253772
    edited August 2010
    I couldn't get the first one to work either, I liked the second one though. I should really try out more fireworks in my game :).

You could do one from a Sim's point of view :).
    edited August 2010
    Smeelia wrote:
    I couldn't get the first one to work either, I liked the second one though. I should really try out more fireworks in my game :).

You could do one from a Sim's point of view :).

The first one is quite large; it takes several minutes to D/L before playing on my system (admittedly not the best system, but decent). There is some good reason to watch the first one :wink: 8) (Partly why I won't yet chance a free floating camera angle yet.)

[Edit: I decided to check it out again, and after 15 minutes it was still D/Ling so I pressed refresh. It may have only been a coincidence that the video started immediately afterward. -- I'm sorry it's so big, but I think it's worth it.]
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the tips. I had totally forgotten about fireworks and have never tried them. Going to now. :mrgreen:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so the other ones all ended up in fires on the lot.

I finally got one that worked, so for those who want to see a fireworks display without getting one going yourself... here it is.
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=254673

Like all fireworks displays, it seemed to take longer when it was happening :lol:
    edited August 2010
    Loading the page then refreshing did work for me, it didn't take as long as 15 minutes either. Fireworks displays do make nice videos, it's good that they're a bit random so they don't all look the same as well :).
  • snoozball1snoozball1 Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    Is there a 5th of November-BonFireNight-In The sims 3 seasons?? xx
  • BennyGirl613BennyGirl613 Posts: 25 New Member
    edited November 2012
    snoozball1 wrote:
    Is there a 5th of November-BonFireNight-In The sims 3 seasons?? xx

Sadly, not an official one. But your sims could host one anyway (maybe with fireworks and burn a pile of leaves for the bonfire).
  • Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited November 2012
    Wow, I've learned so much from this thread. Thank you!

Happy Simming! :)
  • aunnybooaunnyboo Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Wow, I've learned so much from this thread. Thank you!

Happy Simming! :)

So have I lol. And to think I've been wondering why there were fireworks for sale lol. *shakes head* sometimes I really think I'm a little to dense for the Sims lol. Thanks once again for sharing this info. I'm now going to go and attempt to have a fireworks display!! Hope it works lol :wink: *wishes there was a hose for sims for those 'just incase moments'* lol