Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TUTORIAL: How to make a seamless repeating pattern ALSO: Good images for pattern making

Comments

• Options
    kangfamilykangfamily Posts: 55 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I just downloaded and installed it...
    where can I find it.
    is it in the game?
    can't find it... help me
  • Options
    MomSonSimFunMomSonSimFun Posts: 486 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Queenbloodlmp: The pattern looks great! I can see no seams at all. Nice job!

Kangfamily: After you've downloaded it off the website and installed it by clicking on the downloaded installer, a shortcut should appear on your desktop. If not, maybe try searching Create a Pattern on the computer. If you still can't find it, try looking under electronic arts in All Programs. It is completely separate from the game, though. I hope that works!
  • Options
    jerryh316jerryh316 Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Can I upload my oen image to use as a pattern? And how??
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You should be able to. If you take a picture with a camera, it is very difficult to get everything lined up straight and lighting all even. I'd recommend using a scanner if you have one. If the image is on a piece of paper, make sure it is completely flat in the scanner so it will go in straight. It won't always work, but is your best bet. Once the image is on your computer, go into CAP and select the "New Sticker" tool. Then, just find where you saved the image. Does that answer the question? Good luck!
  • Options
    greydragonessgreydragoness Posts: 42 New Member
    edited June 2010
    thank you so much! i was really confused trying to do it on my own. Just by using your instructions i was able to use some free clipart, trace what i wanted in gimp, saves as bmp/jpg and made a couple really cool stamps. YAY!
  • Options
    crazyshortkidcrazyshortkid Posts: 119 New Member
    edited June 2010
    This has helped. I have made a few seamless that turned out well. I have to quick questions.
    1)When I export my patterns where does it go?
    2)Do you know how to get rid of that nasty copyright thing on the picture.
    I don't know what it's called.

Thank You!

Lots of Love

Crazyshortkid (:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm glad to hear the tutorial is helping! Crazyshortkid, when you export patterns, they should appear in your launcher under uploads. To find them more easily, click on tab for patterns only, which looks like a checker board pattern. By the copyright thing on the picture, do you mean a company's, website's, etc. name over a picture? I don't believe you can get rid of this from what I know. What website is the image from so I can try to help more? My only suggestion would be to search for the image elswhere if it has a specific name.
  • Options
    crazyshortkidcrazyshortkid Posts: 119 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Yes, it is the companys name. I seem to find the really cool patterns that I really want to use have the name across it. It really bugs me. Most of the pictures i like are from istockphoto.com

Thank You!

Lots of Love

Crazyshortkid
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    On istockphoto, the only thing I can think of to do would be to click on the small thumbnail of a picture before actually selecting the picture. However, this would mean your image might be rather small and end up blurry.
  • Options
    iDiruiDiru Posts: 2,061 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Um I don't know if this site has been mentioned or not for good patterns, but I really like this site:
    http://www.fatstrawberry.com/
    I already made a pattern from a pattern on this site.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks so much for the website, iDiru! It looks fantastic for images. Also, I tried making channels for a while but with no luck, so I'm going to take a break for now. I'll probably pick back up working on that once Via Discovolo is done (in a month or so). I'll still be here to answer questions, though, so ask away!
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited July 2010
    so with CAP, I still need another pattern creator to make my own patterns?, so CAP you need extras? I'm still confused somehow.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You don't need another pattern creator to create patterns. What you need is a photo editing program. I'd recommend Gimp, since it has many good features and is also free. This is just required for patterns from your own images. You don't need it to create simpler patterns or patterns from images that are already seamless. You can download Gimp here: http://www.gimp.org/ I hope that helps! :D
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited July 2010
    Thankyou MomSonSimFun, I will do that! :):):)
  • Options
    thornathorna Posts: 13
    edited July 2010
    hi
    sorry if this has been covered aready but i looked through and dint see the answer. i made a pattern and exported it, and saw it in my upload of my launched but i cant see it in my game and cant see how to get it there, anyone know why?
  • Options
    RepulsiveDesire1RepulsiveDesire1 Posts: 3,226
    edited July 2010
    I'm a terrible reader sometimes and I apologize if it says it already somewhere but does this make the pattern re-colorable? That's what I am having issues figuring out when using imported stickers.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thorna- I'm not sure if there is a better way, but what I have end pattern and then downloading it from my studio into my game.

RepulsiveDesire1- You can recolor the entire pattern using this tutorial, if that's what you mean, but you can'trecolor individual parts like this. I believe it is possible, but pretty complicated and I'm not sure myself how to. This tutorial just covers the basics of seamless patterns.

Hope that helps! :D
  • Options
    xgirlymxgirlym Posts: 54 New Member
    edited July 2010
    It looks complicated... But I really like the creations!
  • Options
    KrisqueKrisque Posts: 532 Member
    edited July 2010
    In order to get your pattern to line up perfectly centered you will need to make X =128 and Y =128
  • Options
    obsessisimobsessisim Posts: 208 Member
    edited July 2010
    One of my favs for seamless textures is http://theinspirationgallery.com/.
  • Options
    Gia15Gia15 Posts: 63
    edited July 2010
    I got how to use it but when I try to upload i get the big red circle.Why? I have made some nice patterns but can't get them to upload to my game or exchange.Only one worked.This part I don't get. Any help? Some I see on the exchange are blank also and when I try to download some of those still get that red circle.
  • Options
    RepulsiveDesire1RepulsiveDesire1 Posts: 3,226
    edited July 2010
    MomSonSimFun - Right what I was asking was about individual parts. I have such trouble with that. Maybe some savvy simmer will break it down in simple terms for us one of these days.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Obsessimisim: Thanks for the website! I just added it. It looks great for pattern images.

Gia15: Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem is. The exchange, most likely :P. Good luck in finding a fix.
  • Options
    HerbiedadHerbiedad Posts: 226
    edited July 2010
    Filter Forge has a HUGE gallery of seamless textures and designs. Really cool stuff there. I've put up about 60 patterns from their stuff.
    http://www.filterforge.com/gallery/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top