Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How-To-Install CC/Mods "The New Way" Guide. Update: 04/23/2014

Comments

• fabulizfabuliz Posts: 1,066 New Member
    edited July 2010
    So if I upgrade my game to the latest version, if I follow these instructions, I can still use all of my CC?! :)
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited July 2010
    NiCandCo wrote:
    I will do. My daughter is having a sleepover today and so they'll be going on my computer so I'm not sure I'll be able to do it all today, but I'll do it as soon as I can.

Thanks again. :)
    Oh you're very welcome. :D
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • PurplePeacockPurplePeacock Posts: 914 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I tried installing peggy hair CC in both ways, but neither work. The hair came with a resource file, with 1kb whatever-it-is, and I have tried placing it in mods and in the sims 3 file, but both times it does not show up in game. I am confused :/ What should I do?
  • PookasakiPookasaki Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I'm still confused. For the new Resource.cfg, where exactly do I press save?
    edited July 2010
    I tried installing peggy hair CC in both ways, but neither work. The hair came with a resource file, with 1kb whatever-it-is, and I have tried placing it in mods and in the sims 3 file, but both times it does not show up in game. I am confused :/ What should I do?
    You don't need to use the resource.cfg from Peggyzone, all their files come with it.
    The only file you need when you extract, is the .package file

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    edited July 2010
    Pookasaki wrote:
    Okay, I'm still confused. For the new Resource.cfg, where exactly do I press save?
    Click the link in the instructions it will take you to the page with the file.
    Go to Step 2, click and save or right-click and save as, both do the same thing.
    Example: http://i26.tinypic.com/2ceqdkk.jpg
  • PookasakiPookasaki Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    blunote00 wrote:
    Pookasaki wrote:
    Go to Step 2, click and save or right-click and save as, both do the same thing.
    Okay, thank you! It worked, and now I can get all more CC. :mrgreen:
    edited July 2010
    Pookasaki wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:
    Pookasaki wrote:
    Okay, thank you! It worked, and now I can get all more CC. :mrgreen:
    You're welcome. Have fun sim shopping. :P
    edited July 2010
    blunote00 wrote:
    You don't need to use the resource.cfg from Peggyzone, all their files come with it.

So I must download the resource.cfg separately? Is it useless the one from peggy?
    edited July 2010
    blunote00 wrote:

So I must download the resource.cfg separately? Is it useless the one from peggy?
    If you're installing your CC the new way, there is a NEW resource.cfg you need to place in the Mods folder under documents. The link is on the first page after the second image where it says "Click here". You can try it the new way but I checked your profile and you only have the base game and WA. If this doesn't work let me know because you can still install your CC the old way. Placing the Mods/Packages folder under Document is for games the are fully patched and have the Ambitions EP.

• KANDIIKANDII Posts: 52 New Member
    edited July 2010
    :P TY I can now die a happy woman :P
    edited July 2010
    I think I will use the old way for now, I don't really like downloading anything more than necessary (necessary being I want it)
    edited July 2010
    I think I will use the old way for now, I don't really like downloading anything more than necessary (necessary being I want it)
    Yeah that's fine. If it's working for you the old way keep it the same.
    NiCandCo wrote:
    Hey Blu,

I just wanted to let you know that I really like your Profile page, it looks amazing!

Nikki.
    Oh thank you NiCandCo. I really loved that background picture and had to use it. It's from the Playing with Fire concert series here.
    fabuliz wrote:
    So if I upgrade my game to the latest version, if I follow these instructions, I can still use all of my CC?! :)
    I checked your profile and you only have the base game. You can try it this way to see if it works for you but the new location of the Mod/Packages folder came with the patch/update on 5/28 and the release of Ambitions. If you have your Mods/Packages folder set up the old way it should still work.
    KANDII wrote:
    :P TY I can now die a happy woman :P
    You're welcome. Don't die off just yet though. :wink:

edited July 2010
    Lol yay! M'kay, so when I extract my CC to my Mods/Packaages folder, and click install, it says there's no valid directory for it to install to. Zeri said this might be because of Vista, and that you could help me.

Talk about a mouthful. :lol: :XD:
    I have Vista. Exactly where are you trying to download to?

• laurenruth915laurenruth915 Posts: 4,102 New Member
    edited July 2010
    blunote00 wrote:
    Lol yay! M'kay, so when I extract my CC to my Mods/Packaages folder, and click install, it says there's no valid directory for it to install to. Zeri said this might be because of Vista, and that you could help me.

I have my Mods/Packages folder in My Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Mods/Packages. When I extract from WinRar, and put it there, and then click to install, it says it can't and 'there's no valid directory for it to install to'.
    edited July 2010
    blunote00 wrote:

I have my Mods/Packages folder in My Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Mods/Packages. When I extract from WinRar, and put it there, and then click to install, it says it can't and 'there's no valid directory for it to install to'.
    I extract mine to my download folder but you can create a folder on your desktop to extract the files to like I did in my example. I don't extract directly into the Mods/Packages folder. I extract elsewhere then move the .package files to the Packages subfolder.

edited July 2010
    I'm confused. So I make a folder on my desktop (I'm assuming the name doesn't matter) then... what?
    edited July 2010
    I'm confused. So I make a folder on my desktop (I'm assuming the name doesn't matter) then... what?
    I just installed some new hair this morning.
    I copied everything from my download folder to my desktop in a new folder.
    \Desktop\myTS3CC\newsea\hair
    See the CC is still compressed? I'll extract the first hair and post another pic when I do.
    oqeio5.jpg

Here I right-click and chose extract here on the first item hairj006_aroma.zip
    See the .package files have been extracted in the same folder. 4 items
    2eyhrw2.jpg

Cut/Paste the 4 .package files into my Packages subfolder under Documents.
    Following this path. C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages
    ve4soj.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited July 2010
    Wait, how did you make the compressed folder... uncompress? :XD:
    edited July 2010
    Alright, I'm think I'm following now.
    edited July 2010
    Wait, how did you make the compressed folder... uncompress? :XD:
    I made a folder on my desktop and called it myTS3CC. Then a subfolder called newsea, then another subfolder of that called hair.

When I find the CC from the site I want to download, I get a popup asking where to save my CC. Usually, these files are .rar or .zip and those are the compressed files. To uncompress the files you need an application to do it such as winRAR, winZIP, 7zip, etc... I like winRAR because it does both .rar and .zip
    edited July 2010
    Alright, I'm think I'm following now.
    Yeah don't extract directly in the Mod/Packages folder. Do it elsewhere, then move only the .package files as some CC comes with pictures and other garbage you don't need. All you want are the .package files

I organize my CC in my downloads folder with subfolders so I know where it came from, then I move the .package files to my Mod/Packages folder. This is an example of my downloads folder organized.
    acrbpl.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Is it making sense laurenruth915?
    edited July 2010
    Sort of... :lol:

edited July 2010
    Sort of... :lol:
    Where are you confused? I did check your profile and you have all the games except HELS. You should be able to set up the new way just fine on a PC running Windows Vista.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top