Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How-To-Install CC/Mods "The New Way" Guide. Update: 04/23/2014

Comments

• blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited June 2010
    blu I've been passing out this help link you made, so you may be busy for a while :shock: you ask for it :XD: Hugs,kiss,and all that extra fun stuff !! :shock:
    It's all good! *hugs & stuff & junk*
    000203FC.gif
    Ps.
    Oh I forgot! Go and vote for me on that blog spot I won't mention. :wink:
    I'm up for two of them. I'z Ms. Superbad and looking from some theme music in the neighborhood of Shaft. :lol:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited June 2010
    blunote00 wrote:
    blu I've been passing out this help link you made, so you may be busy for a while :shock: you ask for it :XD: Hugs,kiss,and all that extra fun stuff !! :shock:
    It's all good! *hugs & stuff & junk*
    000203FC.gif
    Ps.
    Oh I forgot! Go and vote for me on that blog spot I won't mention. :wink:
    I'm up for two of them. :lol:

I have, you, kid, and the nutty Hippi person :XD:
  • CzbuendelCzbuendel Posts: 298 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Blu please get on yahoo
    pweeeeeze!
    edited June 2010
    I have, you, kid, and the nutty Hippi person :XD:
    U meh girl! :mrgreen:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Skip45Skip45 Posts: 19,876 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Oh oh oh! I've got a question real quick!
    (also, sorry if I'm sounding repetive, I'm functioning on 4 hours of sleep!)
    If we do the update, and we have CC downloaded the old way, do we need to delete the CC or move it somewhere else?
    Also, is this new way only for if you have expansion packs or stuff packs? Because if it is, then I won't have to worry being as I've got the base game only..
    I've downloaded CC this way: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/170393.page

Again, sorry to bug you! I'm just very technically challenged...
    edited June 2011
    Skip45 wrote:
    Oh oh oh! I've got a question real quick!
    (also, sorry if I'm sounding repetitive, I'm functioning on 4 hours of sleep!)
    If we do the update, and we have CC downloaded the old way, do we need to delete the CC or move it somewhere else?
    Also, is this new way only for if you have expansion packs or stuff packs? Because if it is, then I won't have to worry being as I've got the base game only..
    I've downloaded CC this way: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/170393.page

Again, sorry to bug you! I'm just very technically challenged...

Updated 01/17/2011
    My suggestion would be:
    1) Backup your "The Sims 3 folder" your game data files under Documents.
    2) Make sure to remove (you don't have to delete) your cc someplace else. (i.e. Desktop or external drive)
    3) Make sure you prep your PC/Laptop for a clean install which I think includes:
    disk cleanup, deleting cache/temp files, disk defrag, update drivers, clean registry to get rid of any corrupt files (if your running Windows)

Also,

4) Remove your all your games/launcher from DEP. (Add them back after you have a successful install/reinstall)
    5) If you have gigabytes reassigned to Free virtual memory for LAA (Large Address Aware) via Windows Command Prompt or some 3rd Party program (reset it). You can reassign it after a successful install/reinstall.

Example of backups (on my desktop) from my last update:
    fto4no.jpg

After you update, do not move your mods/cc back in right away. Start your game and make sure everything works w/o any mods/cc first. Then after you're satisfied with how it's running, slowly add your cc back in bit by bit.

It's okay if you have questions, I don't mind answering them and would rather you ask. :wink:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2010
    oh ok. I've got most of my CC in my launcher, from the exchange, will I have to move that to?
    Also, where would you suggest moving it to? Do I just make a new folder and copy every folder into there?
    Oh, and one more question, you only back up your games and CC, correct?
    edited September 2011
    Skip45 wrote:
    oh ok. I've got most of my CC in my launcher, from the exchange, will I have to move that to?
    Also, where would you suggest moving it to? Do I just make a new folder and copy every folder into there?
    Oh, and one more question, you only back up your games and CC, correct?
    Chances are if you have cc from the exchange or the store the file extension is (.Sims3Pack) and is located in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads. However, there is some 3PCC that comes as (.Sims3Pack). Most 3PCC comes as (.package) and is what is placed in your Packages folder that is a subfolder of the Mods folder.

Backing up files/folders... continued

I normally make a folder on my desktop that references what I'm doing. Usually same naming convention so that I can remember what it is. Just like in the example picture. (i.e. YYYYMMDD_ts3Folders_backup) That way I know what day I did the installation, what folders I'm backing up.

Then I will make 3 subfolders within my backup folder. One for Mods only, one for Program files, and one for game data files. As in the picture, I name the subfolders accordingly.

Update 09/22/2011: Removed references to Mods in Program folder.
    I go to my game data files under Documents and copy/paste that to ts3DocumentsFolder. This will backup a copy of all my game data which includes your screenshots, downloads, exports, etc...

When that's done and while I'm still in the Documents folder, I cut/paste my Mods folder to ts3CCModsFiles. This will removed (not delete) any of my Mods from the Documents folder. That is why the folder is named ts3CCModsFiles.

Note: I back up the whole Sims3 folder from both the Documents and Program files.

Example of game data backed up. See folder structure on the left of all 3 folders.
    1553rs6.jpg

Proper naming of the files will tell you where you need to put things back, when you're ready to. :wink: In the future, you will backup your mods the same way but remember to change to DocMods instead of ProgMods.

Also remember that whenever you do patch/updates for the game, you don't want to place your Mods back right away. Test the install first and make sure the game will play w/o any cc. When you're ready to add the mod/cc back into your game, you'll know where they are and remember where it need to go.

Once you've played your game for a while and you don't have any issues, you can deleted the one backup folder on your desktop. However, I usually keep a copy of the last backup just in case I need to go back for something. Then again I have the room to do it. :wink:

Hope this answers your question about backing up your files and folders. I know it's confusing (at first) but once you do it a few times you'll be able to do it in your sleep. :shock: :P

edited June 2010
    OH thanks so much!
    I've just got one more question, do we do all of this before the update?
    edited June 2010
    Skip45 wrote:
    OH thanks so much!
    I've just got one more question, do we do all of this before the update?
    Personally, I do. I'm in IT field and I like to have clean installs all the time. Just how I am. Remember your computer is just a machine, you tell it what to do and not the other way around. :P
  • CzbuendelCzbuendel Posts: 298 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hey blu i need some help can you get on yahoo
    edited June 2010
    Oh ok, thank you!
    And once you start putting the CC back in, it will be under documents now, no longer progam files?
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    edited June 2010
    Do you think you can help me step-by-step and be very detailed please? Because I still don't understand . =)
    edited June 2010
    Skip45 wrote:
    Oh ok, thank you!
    And once you start putting the CC back in, it will be under documents now, no longer progam files?
    You got it! :wink:
    edited June 2010
    Do you think you can help me step-by-step and be very detailed please? Because I still don't understand . =)
    Sure. I'm a pretty patient person. Well most of the time. :P
    edited June 2010
    Thank you SO much!
    I've just got to wait until my dad gets home, he doesn't like it when I do things without telling him.
    But I actually understand!
    :mrgreen:
    edited June 2010
    Skip45 wrote:
    Thank you SO much!
    I've just got to wait until my dad gets home, he doesn't like it when I do things without telling him.
    But I actually understand!
    :mrgreen:
    00020292.gif
    edited June 2010
    Ok, do you wnt to message me or go on a chat or something to make this flow a little easier?
    edited June 2010
    Ok, do you wnt to message me or go on a chat or something to make this flow a little easier?
    Sure. Find me on YIM. :wink:

• playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    edited June 2010
    So wait, the d3dx9_31.dll has to be in C:/Programs/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 Ambitions/Game/Bin or in the folder with the Mods/Packages that are in Documents?
    edited June 2010
    So wait, the d3dx9_31.dll has to be in C:/Programs/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 Ambitions/Game/Bin or in the folder with the Mods/Packages that are in Documents?

If you still have your files set up the old way and you have a mod that suggests you place the d3dx9_31.dll, you place them in the bin(s) for all your games under Programs (from what I understand). Some people insist on doing this for the new way too. I don't think it's needed.

If you install cc the new way under Documents, you should only have one game folder which is for the base game. Check to see what the creator of whatever mod you have suggest you do. I do not use any Core Mods so I can't really answer to that. But logically, there doesn't seem to be a need for it.

FYI - MTS tells you to delete that file and/or remove from your EP/SP program folders here. I don't see where they say to put it back.

edited June 2010
    can you message me your name for YIM?
    edited June 2010
    can you message me your name for YIM?
    Look at my location under my avi. :wink:
  • DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited June 2010
    blunote,

Thank you again for making this guide. I tried to put in the Super Computer today but couldn't get it to work in the old location. So I followed your guide and moved all my CC and my new mod to the EA Folder. And it worked! :shock: If you knew me you would know what a miracle this was. Whenever I try to do something to my computer there is usually a lot of praying, swearing and tears involved!

Thanks! :mrgreen:
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Darkling wrote:
    blunote,

Thank you again for making this guide. I tried to put in the Super Computer today but couldn't get it to work in the old location. So I followed your guide and moved all my CC and my new mod to the EA Folder. And it worked! :shock: If you knew me you would know what a miracle this was. Whenever I try to do something to my computer there is usually a lot of praying, swearing and tears involved!

Thanks! :mrgreen:
    You're welcome. Glad I could help. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top