Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please help! Ambitions won't install!

Every time I try to install Ambitions (I have a digital copy, for the first time), I get a text box saying "please update your game from the launcher before you install Ambitions", or something like that, and then the whole installment process ends.
I have tried a number of times, I even reinstalled everything (I have all of them; sims 3, WA and the stuff pack), and the launcher still insists that the game is updatet.

Please, if anyone can tell me what to do, I would be very gratefull!

Comments

• NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi,

What I would suggest in this case is to install the standalone base game patch or patches before installing the Ambitions expansion pack. To find out what version your base game is currently at, navigate to where the base game is installed. By default:

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Now open the file named skuversion.txt but do not change anything in it. The SKU version should indicate the current version number of the base game. After you are done viewing, close the file without saving it. With that information in hand, you can check out the following thread for official EA download links for the manual incremental updates:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/188505.page
    (Thanks goes to Sassy0984 for compiling the list!)

For the manual patches, please ensure you are downloading the correct version for your game region. To find out what region your game is using, refer back to the version number indicated by the skuversion.txt file. The last digit represents the game region. When choosing a patch to download, look for the corresponding region number in the file name.

When applying several standalone incremental patches to update the game, you must do so in the correct sequence. If your base game is at version 1.10.6 and wish to manually update to version 1.12.7, you must apply the 1.11.7 patch and then the 1.12.7 patch. The 1.12.7 patch installer will otherwise quit with an error message if the setup cannot find the correct core files added or updated by the previous incremental patches.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Clvn300Clvn300 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi

I have the same problem as nussse (except I don't have WA or the stuff pack) and I followed Nichaedemus's advice on installing the patches to update my game.

I couldn't find C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin (there was no folder labeled "game") but the version number was on the game launcher. I now have version 1.12.7 and Sims 3 Ambitions still won't install.

If anyone could help it would be really appreciated!
    edited July 2010
    Clvn300 wrote:
    Hi

I have the same problem as nussse (except I don't have WA or the stuff pack) and I followed Nichaedemus's advice on installing the patches to update my game.

I couldn't find C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin (there was no folder labeled "game") but the version number was on the game launcher. I now have version 1.12.7 and Sims 3 Ambitions still won't install.

If anyone could help it would be really appreciated!

When ambitions tries to install all I get is a pop-up that says "This product requires an installed copy of the sims 3. Please install the sims 3 before installing this product."

I uninstalled and reinstalled the sims 3, updated it back to version 1.12.7 and I still get the same message. The game's location should be at it's default. I don't know why ambitions doesn't recognize I have the sims 3.
  • anarthanarth Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I'm getting this same problem. I got my copy of Ambitions today and installed Sims 3 since I recently put windows 7 on my pc, and its coming up with the same error as Clvn300.

I have emailed tech support and if I get a reply that works, I'll tell you guys.
    edited July 2010
    Hey still here, still have the same problem.

I hope you have better luck with the tech support anarth. I got the general reply telling me to manually uninstall the game (the in-depth erase-each-file-on-your-own method)and it still didn't work.

I'll definitely report back when I get this resolved. Good luck.
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so now I feel bad.

I'll start off my saying that my laptop was and has always been seriously messed up, both with hardware and software issues. One of which was the inability to recognize it's own files (like the sims 3) which is why I think it kept thinking it didn't exist.

bottom line, don't buy dell. seriously. this was my second laptop, the first had a french keyboard and was sent back. the second has literally a page and a half worth of glitches when it was brand-new out of the box.

anarth, as glad as I was to finally find someone else and get that feeling that I wasn't alone, I'm sorry to say this probably doesn't help you much. Unless you also have a dell laptop. In that case lets both yell at them.
  • AmyBabiieAmyBabiie Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    i have the same problem, it wont download and it is really annoying me! ive bought the expansion pack and cant even use it! help please?
  • jitter76jitter76 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I have the same problem. Download managers has button to install and then I get error messages...frustrated!
  • nickyunderdrivenickyunderdrive Posts: 12 New Member
    edited January 2012
    i have a cd and its in mint condition my game is fully patched and i keep gating a wrong disklet error
  • Shoe_Goddess91Shoe_Goddess91 Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    i have a store brought ambitions cd and it wont install, each time i try to install in it says "this product requires an installed copy of The Sims 3. Please install The Sims 3 before installing this product.

iv all ready installed :
    "The Sims 3"
    "World Adventures"
    "high end-loft stuff"
    all store brought cds

suggestions?
  • BsoBso Posts: 2 New Member
    If you have purchased an expansion pack and origin won’t let you download it for whatever reason: uninstall and reinstall origin! Worked for me!!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    @Bso - While that certainly can make things easier to work with now, Origin didn't exist (as we know it today) and these players were working with CD installs, not digital downloads. This thread is from over eight years ago. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • BsoBso Posts: 2 New Member
    It still comes up first when u search for expansion pack download issues.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    edited August 2018
    I think what Igazor is saying is that the issue being discussed in this thread was happening pre-Origin. What that means is that the Origin troubleshooting you shared above wouldn't relate to their issue in this discussion or help the Simmers from 2012 as they did not have Origin back then. Saying that, Origin TS can be helpful nowadays and it's really nice that you wanted to help others out. Thanks for sharing.

I will be closing this thread off from here as this is a 6 year old thread that has been necroed. For more information on what necroposting is and the forum rule, check out this thread: "What is considered necroposting"
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top