Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to become a tattoo artist?

Comments

• AltaiAltai Posts: 1,399
    edited June 2010
    Demonia wrote:
    False advertising pure and simple.

"Enjoy all-new skills and activities! Master the arts of inventing, sculpting, and tattooing, and use your skills to earn Simoleons."

Tattooing isn't even a skill. I hope they put a patch because I was looking forward to playing a tattoo artist.

It is, It's just a hidden skill, like styling. If you don't believe me just download Kolipoki or Book Of Talent.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited June 2010
    Not sure what you're expecting to hear from EA support :)

My guess would be that this was originally planned to be a skill, like sculpture, but they just decided there wasn't enough to it. And I would have to agree :p Not sure how you could make it interesting enough to be a full-on regular skill with opportunities and challenges. And it's too similar to the Stylist to be a separate career.

But Altai is right, it IS a skill nonetheless, just a hidden one, and you CAN make money by tattooing other sims. *shrug* Just like you can make money by playing guitar for tips, but you can't be self-employed doing that.

Misleading advertising? Sure. If it really was a change of plan, though, I would say they made the right choice.
  • CyzakiCyzaki Posts: 175 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I dunno what I'm expecting to hear. It'd be nice for them to stop advertising that you can be a tattoo artist, for a start. Or for them to release a patch to make it possible. One of the two.
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited June 2010
    Don't think there'll be any more publicity for Ambitions coming out -- game's been released. And I don't think a patch is gonna add new features.

Not saying you shouldn't complain about misleading advertising, but I don't see it as a support issue.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    edited June 2010
    Don't think there'll be any more publicity for Ambitions coming out -- game's been released. And I don't think a patch is gonna add new features.

It's there every time you click on the launcher to play - or visit this site's home page. Play as a tattoo artist.

And why wouldn't a patch add new features? In the past the updates have added new features, such as the neighbourhood editing ... (for those who updated without buying Ambitions)...and didn't it actually add the tattoo feature too, for those who didn't have the EP? And didn't a previous update add basement building for those without WA? Or maybe I'm going a little senile :D
  • NicoruNicoru Posts: 60 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I really hope EA does fix all this up. I think if they make a two path stylist career so you can either become a stylist OR a tattoo artist that would be better. As well I would like to see more development of the tattoo tool. ie- more tattoo options, ability for players to create their own tattoos, I know we have layering but I would like to be able to upload my own tattoo sketches that I have done in real life, as well as i'd like to see freedom to place tattoos every where.

The likelihood of this actually happening is slim to none. I agree the tattoo artist career is false advertising. Sadly it doesn't surprise me. EA is a large corporation looking in your pockets they want your money first then your happiness. The copy and paste response from tech support show this. I love ambitions its a great game but so much more could have been added that wasn't..

• MercedesMacabreMercedesMacabre Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I wish I would have read this before making my character, I actually went in and created a character designed specifically to tattoo, and I spent hours on her house, traits, appearance, and what not. Just to find out ... you can't be an actual tattoo artist.

I happened to read a different forum and someone was ranting about EA, I definitely agreed with them when they said: "The best Sims game I have ever played was when EA had nothing to do with it! They never fix the bugs, they just add more stuff ... quit adding more things and fix the bugs first!" I could never really comment on the topic before, but I'm starting to see how money hungry EA really is. They release Ambitions Expansion, and my last feelings of the day is "Wow, I was ripped off." A 40 dollar game? This should have been more like a 20 dollar game.
    It is very interesting that you can follow your character to work, and actually do your job ... however, it's a let down. First I did the stylist career and to be honest that ended up getting really boring. I wanted to try a doctor profession but so much crap ended up being wrong with doctors as well. Free clinics, negative relationships, must finish the medical career first, blah blah blah. Now tattooing isn't even considered a profession? Come on already!

They just add new things after new things, instead of taking the time to fix "Create A World" for the Ambitions Expansion, they add "Create A Style" or something like that. Why not fix "Create A World" first, then move to "Create A Style." They just keep going and going, and not actually fixing anything.
    I think the Sims Ambitions was a little rushed, only a few professions to choose from, and a few that aren't even professions. They could have put a lot more into this, but they didn't. They wanted to do a half finished job, and submit it to draw in money.

I'm most surprised that being a Maid wasn't included in the professions, since maids have played a big part of all the Sims games. Needless to say I will not be buying another copy of any Sims 3 Expansions for a long time. :(
  • KorzaldKorzald Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2010
    This is a round about way to do this if your download NRass super computer and register program.

With the register program you can assign the person to be the tattoo artist. With the super computer you can then make that person the active sim.

*Note I have not done this yet so not sure if you keep the job on taking over the sim. But the functionality is there with mods.

And there is a hidden tattoo artist skill as was noted above.
  • squirrel9955squirrel9955 Posts: 647
    edited July 2010
    There is, in fact, a tattoo skill. It's a hidden skill. If you give many tattoos to a lot of sims, there is a better chance of you not failing. What I mean by this is that sims with less experience giving tattoos have a better chance of failing and messing up someone's tattoo. If you do fail it, it will be randomly chosen and not the one the other person wanted. I know it's sort of disappointing, but from what I heard, there is no tattoo career, but I THINK, I THINK, you get money for giving sims tattoos. Don't quote me on that though! Hope this helped some of you! :mrgreen:
  • carnaelcarnael Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2010
    How do you become a Tattoo Artist?
    GR:There are two ways - you can go to the salon venue located in town and take advantage of the tattoo chair located downstairs. Just offer Sims tattoos and you'll earn a little bit of money for each tattoo. Or, you can purchase the tattoo chair and put it at your Sim's home lot. You can then call over friends and offer them tattoos. You could even throw a party to get several Sims over at once. Answer ripped from "http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/223562.page"

Well, atleast for me that don´t work, in a way...
    The Saloon already has one "npc" Tattoo Artist and even with 3 chairs, he/she (depenting on town) has the total monopoly on using them...

I had a glimmer of hope the first day my toon entered the Saloon, but as soon the "real" computer controlled Tattoo Artist arrived... I wasen´t allow´d to use the Saloon's Tattoo chairs, other then to remove my own tattoos that is....let alone give tattoos to others... :cry:
  • jackiieohjackiieoh Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I just got the game the other day and im currently working on the stylist career hoping this will unlock the tattoo career. Reading this forum im starting to think it will not work :(
    The placements of the tattoos was very disappointing also. I myself have full sleeves, but its impossible to fully cover my sims arms. I hope they fix that in the future. It would also be nice if they had somewhere in the game where you can upload your own images and make them into tatoos.
  • CyzakiCyzaki Posts: 175 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I've got a thread all about it here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/221592.page
  • death2allchavs3death2allchavs3 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I never actually wantesd to be a tattoo artist myself but my girlfriend in real life is one so she wanted to play as herself in sim world as that is her carear but after buying the game for HER and playing it we found out she cant also how hard was it to allow us to be the other jobs in Town ie the cops or robbers how fun would that be if one member of the family was a cop n you played as a robber and ur other half came to cuff you also gettting into peoples houses as a robber to steal people stuff or catching robbers while robbing but they chose thing that are good but like i was hopin more on the P.I side of things n why bring Ghostbusters into the game

please EA make a patch for
    A) tattoo artist
    B) making the other jobs ie Cops avalible to play
  • JaanaDruidJaanaDruid Posts: 1,116 New Member
    edited July 2010
    JxG91 wrote:
    I have been giving this a lot of thought and I can't help but ask myself; "How hard would it be for them to just throw it in there?" Like if they were to release a special patch for Ambitions that opened up Tattoo Artist as a profession. Maybe they could even make it an actual skill and open up the option to learn new designs by both leveling up your skill and using the drafting board to brainstorm new tattoos. Possibly based on your Sim's traits....

Well death2allchavs3, it appears the #1 answer to this ageless question in Cyzaki's thread has definitely got to be this :P
    dragonmaster626 wrote:
    so far every one of the new professions have a option to register as aself imploid under that skill, I would think maybe it works for tattoo artist as well?

Sgloomi wrote:
    Yes, making Tattoo Artist an actual Profession is a must. And I'm sure many people in the modding community are working on that as we speak.

Now we just have to work out:

- What are the TEN levels of Tattoo Artist going to be, given that all there really is to do is put tattoos on your Sims?

- What sort of wacky Tattoo-related missions and opportunities can we have, given that all there really is to do is put tattoos on your Sims?

- How should the pay for Tattoo Artists scale up, given that all there really is to do is put tattoos on your Sims?

Yes ... I can see that Tattoo Artist as a profession would be many, many minutes of fun. Well, maybe two or three. On a related note - why can't my Sim be the clerk in the Consignment Store, where I can have so much fun having her spend nine hours standing around behind a counter?

• shelwassshelwass Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited July 2010
    JaanaDruid wrote:

Sgloomi wrote:
    Yes, making Tattoo Artist an actual Profession is a must. And I'm sure many people in the modding community are working on that as we speak.

Now we just have to work out:

- What are the TEN levels of Tattoo Artist going to be, given that all there really is to do is put tattoos on your Sims?

- What sort of wacky Tattoo-related missions and opportunities can we have, given that all there really is to do is put tattoos on your Sims?

- How should the pay for Tattoo Artists scale up, given that all there really is to do is put tattoos on your Sims?

Yes ... I can see that Tattoo Artist as a profession would be many, many minutes of fun. Well, maybe two or three. On a related note - why can't my Sim be the clerk in the Consignment Store, where I can have so much fun having her spend nine hours standing around behind a counter?

[/quote]

I would assume it would be very similar to professions like 'fisherperson,' where the way to get promoted is to make lots of money by selling the fish you catch... some people might find that insanely boring, while others might enjoy it. In TS2, I always loved giving Sims make-overs. I could spend tons of time just changing the hair and makeup of Sims in the area.

As for missions, I suppose that, just as with the regular stylist position, customers could ask for something specific (like a tattoo on their arm). It probably wouldn't be one of the more 'mission'-related professions, though.
  • amzwilldayamzwillday Posts: 4,148 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Yeah i tried numerous times and still can't do it, I'm afraid what ea put in the picture of the ep is false! It's just an hobbie not a career which sucks! the same goes for the others aswell
  • SgloomiSgloomi Posts: 280 New Member
    edited July 2010
    The problems with Tattoo Artist as a Profession are quantitive.

Think how many paintings you have to paint to rise through the ranks of a Self-employed Painter. Think how many Makeovers you have to give to rise through the ranks of Stylist. Think how many Sim-hours you have to spend in the rabit-hole of a Base Game Job. Think of all the different and interesting activities and scenarios you can get involved with in a career like 'Scientist' and so on ...

Now apply those mechanisms to the fact that all you can do is give Sims tattoos. An entire Profession devoted to that would be as nonsensical as an entire profession devoted to changing the bracelets you can give them under the Acessories tab in CAS.

Leave alone the fact that, In Real Life, not as many people have tattoos and change them as often as, say, haircuts and clothes. Treating them the same would be a staggering reality-break, big enough I think to destroy that suspension of disbelief many people feel when playing the game.

In Short: Yes, it would be nice if you could Tattoo For Tips and make some pocket-money. Yes, it would be nice if it was worked into one of the things you do during a Stylist Makeover. But making Tatto Artist an actual Profession, in my opinion, would be unworkable, nonsensical and stupid.
  • JaanaDruidJaanaDruid Posts: 1,116 New Member
    edited July 2010
    shelwass wrote:
    I would assume it would be very similar to professions like 'fisherperson,' where the way to get promoted is to make lots of money by selling the fish you catch... some people might find that insanely boring, while others might enjoy it. In TS2, I always loved giving Sims make-overs. I could spend tons of time just changing the hair and makeup of Sims in the area.

As for missions, I suppose that, just as with the regular stylist position, customers could ask for something specific (like a tattoo on their arm). It probably wouldn't be one of the more 'mission'-related professions, though.

Fair enough. I was just hoping JxG91 would share some of his/her ideas on how to level up in tattooing in order to make it a career. Because the leveling up process will require a quantitative set of metrics like Sgloomi said. It's easy to keep asking for a tatooing career. But making it a reality will require effort on someone's part--either EA or the modding community. If simmers propose reasonable ideas/suggestions on tatooing as a career, then it's possible EA could consider using this in a future EP. Although it's far more likely the modding community will make the tattooing career a reality before EA will. Either way, someone has to propose something reasonable first.
  • PuckhawkPuckhawk Posts: 136
    edited July 2010
    When I was going downstairs in the salon to recieve a tatoo, I clicked on the chair and there was an option to "offer tatoo." Very much like offering a makeover. My sim was like level 7 or 8 of the stylist career if that means anything. I don't recall weather or not she got paid for that but she did give a tatoo. There is no apparent skill for it though.

And its definitely not an offshoot of the stylist career because my sim mastered the career and had no options for choosing any path.
  • magicmagic Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2010
    it is a skill its a hidden one
    so its not easy to earn it
    pm me and i might be able to explain you all
  • RANCIDRANCID Posts: 500 New Member
    edited July 2010
    magic wrote:
    it is a skill its a hidden one
    so its not easy to earn it
    pm me and i might be able to explain you all

I would like to know more. Share with the class :mrgreen:
  • HosfacHosfac Posts: 292 New Member
    edited July 2010
    mangobird wrote:
    I just used the "Make me know everyone" cheat, and she only has 4 traits! This means she's a teenager!

Actually, it means she's an NPC. Most NPC's (firemen and maids) don't have 5 traits. My male sims have a habit of marrying their maids, and I end up having to waste 15k lifetime happiness points to give them the full allotment of traits.
    RANCID wrote:
    I would like to know more. Share with the class :mrgreen:

Not a whole lot to explain, really. Buy a chair and start giving tattoos to all your friends. You start off giving junky tattoos, but eventually you'll start giving good ones.
  • WolfauraWolfaura Posts: 615 Member
    edited July 2010
    I searched the internet and it's meant to be a hidden skill. Searched the net and it listed the requirements:
    Apparently the Tattoo artist is an off shoot of the stylist job so you need to pick the fashion phenomenon. You will need dramatic, friendly, artistic, charasmatic and perfectionis. Took me so long to figure this out..
  • SgloomiSgloomi Posts: 280 New Member
    edited July 2010
    There is indeed a hidden Tattooing skill, which goes from 1-10 in the same way as Snake Charming and so on. To view it, you need a mod like Supercomputer which shows hidden traits and skills.

You increase the skill by tattooing yourself in the automated chair or tattooing other sims with manual chair. The only thing it does is make it less likely that Tatooing will fail, and the sim will end up with a mass, rather than going into CAS.

Be warned, however. Every time you tattoo a sim, the game creates a new Everyday Outfit for them, either the black bikini or random junk. I had more than fifteen of these junk outfits before I noticed.

You can fix the affected sims in your household, of course, by simply going to the Dresser and deleting the junk outfits. Every other sim in the world that you've ever tattooed, however, you'll need something like Supercomputer to force them into the Dresser.
  • LoriQuailLoriQuail Posts: 9
    edited July 2010
    I heard a rumour that you need the dramatic, friendly, artistic, charasmatic and perfectionist traits to unlock the tattoo artist. It's probably not true but I thought I'd let you know :D
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top