Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to become a tattoo artist?

My Sims have recieved tattoos, but I don't know how to get them to become the tattoo artist! The only tattoo artist in the town is the one in the basement of the Salon and the artist is some girl named Betty Willis or something. I want my Sim to be the tattoo artist. I tried buying a tattoo machine in my Sim's home but she couldn't register as a tattoo artist like she could as a painter or a gardener, and the only people she could give tattoos to were her family members. How do you get your Sim to be the town's tattoo artist?

Comments

• Options
    NicoruNicoru Posts: 60 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I've heard 3 responses to your question and i'm just as confused as to how to become a tattoo artist.

1) buy a chair and ask people if they want one

2) you need certain traits

3) its an off shot of the stylist career

My own answer there is no tattoo artist career its a conspiracy by EA..
  • Options
    MiraiMirai Posts: 333 Member
    edited June 2010
    Nicoru wrote:
    My own answer there is no tattoo artist career its a conspiracy by EA..

This.
  • Options
    DoraJharrDoraJharr Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I'm sadly beginning to agree with this. I've looked EVERYWHERE for this. There's already a tattoo artist at the salon, so I don't have the option to offer it to someone. I have painting skill to 10 (someone mentioned this might work) and there's no option to register to become one.

Why in the WORLD would EA specifically advertise a profession that you cannot manage to become?
  • Options
    JxG1991JxG1991 Posts: 84 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I have been giving this a lot of thought and I can't help but ask myself; "How hard would it be for them to just throw it in there?" Like if they were to release a special patch for Ambitions that opened up Tattoo Artist as a profession. Maybe they could even make it an actual skill and open up the option to learn new designs by both leveling up your skill and using the drafting board to brainstorm new tattoos. Possibly based on your Sim's traits.

At first I thought being a tattoo artist might be boring since all you would do is give tattoos all day, but since then I've thought up dozens of ways that career could be interesting. Now, if a I can see potential here I'm sure they can too. :D
  • Options
    kimmykarlaykimmykarlay Posts: 13
    edited June 2010
    I looked everywhere for info on the tattoo career with hopes that you can get more tattoos, such as the ones on the girls arm on the boxart, but i havent had any luck.
    If someone does find out please tell me how to unlock extra tattoo options
  • Options
    Tanya4JamesTanya4James Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    i recently emailed ea asking can you become a tattoo artist in the sims 3 ambitions and they replyed to me but wouldnt give me an answer they sed to vist the forums and ask other players but no1 knows how to become one. so i believe it was false advertisment.. :(
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited June 2010
    You can be a tattoo artist, it's called freelancing. Get a tattoo chair, ivite people over and offer them tattoos.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    Ellie1986Ellie1986 Posts: 277 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Maybe you have to register at City Hall as a self-employed/freelance tattoo artist and then install the chair in your house?
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited June 2010
    No registering - just get the chair, ivite people over and offer tattoos - simple.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    ChiodosMurderChiodosMurder Posts: 287 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Why would they offer it as a profession if all you can do is give yourself a chair and offer your family and friends tattoos? The way they made it sound was that you could start your own tattoo parlor and offer them to the Sims in the community. It seems like false advertisement to me.
  • Options
    mangobirdmangobird Posts: 171
    edited June 2010
    I made a sim, and made her a stylist, and after a day or two, I say the asian-like female with blue hair-tips in the salon. (I'm not trying to be racist, I just can't remember her name!). I thought to myself, "hmmm... funny. I thought only my sim and Juan worked here. maybe she's a client and her request didn't show up from map or side messages. Hopefully it's not a glitch!" I rolled over her name (Mary Cho Hun... Chowhun? Chohun? Gah!) And it said her name then a comma, and then Tattoo Artist Which struck me as weird, but I didn't really look into it. Later I thought I saw her as a firefighter with another one of my sims in the same family. I'll look into it now and post back!
  • Options
    mangobirdmangobird Posts: 171
    edited June 2010
    Update: The Tattoo artist is none other than *drum roll* Cho Showhun! *dramatic music*. This is seriously strange. I just used the "Make me know everyone" cheat, and she only has 4 traits! This means she's a teenager! Which is really adding to the weirdness of this!
  • Options
    PugLuverPugLuver Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2010
    There is no actual career/profession, but you can make a separate saloon with just tattoo chairs and have them work there.
  • Options
    DemoniaDemonia Posts: 51 New Member
    edited June 2010
    False advertising pure and simple.

"Enjoy all-new skills and activities! Master the arts of inventing, sculpting, and tattooing, and use your skills to earn Simoleons."

Tattooing isn't even a skill. I hope they put a patch because I was looking forward to playing a tattoo artist.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited June 2010
    Agreed. It really does look and seem like in all the ads for TS3A that Tattoo Artist was indeed going to be a profession.
    Quote from the TS3 homepage:

"Sunset Valley Now Seeking Unqualified Applicants for the following positions. Play as: Private Investigator, Doctor, Ghost Hunter, Firefighter, Inventor, Tattoo Artist"

This leads one to believe that you would actually play as the Tattoo Artist, not just buy a chair and invite buddies over, and not have a skill for it (painting would have worked fine as another simmer suggested) or be able to register it as a home business like Inventor. Instead the add should have read the same as it does but replace the "Tattoo Artist" with "Stylist". Very misleading ad, shame on EA.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    CyzakiCyzaki Posts: 175 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I e-mailed the support guys, just got a copy/paste reply about checking the forums etc for help with gameplay. I replied and pointed out that many people were asking the same question, that nobody knew the answer, and that it shouldn't be this hard for us to work out how to do something that was advertised as being possible.

Still waiting for a reply on that one.
  • Options
    HomeSweetHomeSimHomeSweetHomeSim Posts: 501 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Picture this : only one eager tattoo artist could change the look of whole Twinbrook if everysim would have tattoos from head to toe... :lol:
  • Options
    dragonmaster626dragonmaster626 Posts: 3,716 New Member
    edited June 2010
    i think once i get ambitions i'll have my starting sim get a flaming plumbob tattoo. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HomeSweetHomeSim: I see your point and I totally agree with it. This was likely EA's thought on the matter as well.
    I really didn't want to even play as a tattoo artist lol, but my whole point is simply that it was indeed advertised, (it's even still up on the homepage) and it was more than misleading, it was directly stated "play as a Tattoo Artist" (leading you to believe it's a profession since it's listed right behind all the other new professions) and you can't. It's false. That is wrong. These simmers are right to be upset that they can only really preform the function in their "minds" building their own shops, and offering tattoos to their friends and family while the Job Panel says "unemployeed" :( It's straight up false advertising and that is wrong pure and simple. Like I posted previously, an easy fix for this would have been to use the wording "Stylist" instead, (like is actually in the game) and they could've advertised the tattoo feature in some other form.
  • Options
    MaybeaQKMaybeaQK Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    I agree. I was so excited to make actual characters that I use in my writing and have them be exactly as they should in the game. But Leila is neither covered in tattoos as I was hoping, nor can she become a tattoo artist.

Also. Would it really be that hard to give us more freedom with the placement of the tattoos? Being able to rotate them would be nice, for one. also being able to place them nearly anywhere...as I believe was also advertised somewhere. Why not on the sim's sides or thighs or legs? why not on the inside of their arms or one shoulder blade or the other? If guitar hero can offer functions similar to this I believe that the Sims can as well.

One final note:

Dear EA. Please stop advertising hairstyles and outfits on the box and in commercials that are not actually part of the game. Thank you. May.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Great idea about moving the tattoo's around a bit too May. :D
    I thought this would be an option, but I don't know if I actually seen it advertised anywhere or just assumed that would be possible. I would love my sim to have a little rose on her ankle, AT THE SIDE, not the front.. :P but the front will have to do for now.
  • Options
    MaybeaQKMaybeaQK Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    haha! I know. the button to press for ankle even shows it on the side XD WHAT'S UP WITH THIS, EA?
  • Options
    Sandy0038Sandy0038 Posts: 1,430 Member
    edited June 2010
    I havent gotten the game yet but am looking forward to getting it. i also thought you could work as a tattoo artist as a registered career from the way its written and i agree its misleading. im still glad sims can now have tattoos but why not a career in it? in real life i have tattoos and i wanted to make my sim pursue a career in something that really is of interest to me. EA shouldve pointed out the tattoo artist was a hobby and not a career.
  • Options
    CyzakiCyzaki Posts: 175 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I've had a reply from EA Customer Support that they are "taking whatever steps are necessary to get you back in the game, including the escalation of your issue to our highest tier of support". It's still a copy/paste reply, but it seems to be getting somewhere...
  • Options
    simloversimlover Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2010
    just got the game and hoping to install it within a couple of days. i agree with all of you guys though. i was hoping to be a tattoo artist just for fun and to see what it's like but i guess that idea will have to die off. that is very upsetting at the least
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top