Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drop down menu problems

None of the drop down menus in my original game work. I can click the menu, and it will drop down for a split second before closing again. This is very frustrating in create a style because I can not select any other patterns. Is anyone else having this problem? I tried reinstalling the game to no avail.

Comments

• MaeraMaera Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited June 2010
    Have you tried running your game without CC (completely removing the folders to your desktop) and checking the box on the laucher that says run without custom content?

• DHWCreationsDHWCreations Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I am having this same issue and I do not have any CC installed. I was able to edit my Options.ini file to fix the screen res but I can not get any of my drop down menus to work so editing patterns on an object is out of the question.
  • SahetahSahetah Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Has anyone been able to find a solution to this problem? Cuz atm it's seriously plauging my game. I find it boring to have a b-day party without a party. =(

• MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited July 2013
    Forgive me for the necro please but this is the first result (and one of only a scant few) that comes up in google search for this issue so I wanted to place the information where it would have the best chance of being found by anyone else with the issue, present or future.

The only solution previously, to this issue, was a poster who said that getting a new keyboard helped them. It did not help everyone though, including myself. Though they were on the right track!

A few days ago, my drop-down menus in TS3 suddenly started closing too quickly to be used. I noticed in mainly in CAS when trying to change a pattern and on commercial lots when trying to change the lot type. I was able to quickly determine that it was not caused by CC or mods and that the issue was present with just a vanilla game. My computer system and components are more then adequate to run the game without issues. None of my drivers had been recently updated, though Windows had done an update in the early AM hours of the date I first noticed the issue (Friday night). We spent all weekend trying to fix this issue and my husband went over my system pretty well. We came to the realization that the issue was not likely to be caused by the game itself.

In fact, today I realized that it was not JUST presenting itself for me in TS3, but also in certain Windows 7 functions as well (like if you have multiple folders open and mouse over the icons on your taskbar, it would close too rapidly). I would have noticed this sooner but have been off my computer for most of the weekend. Anyway, we were able to fine-tune the search for solutions once we were sure it wasn't related to TS3. After an hour or two of coming at this issue from different directions, we finally discovered what the problem was!

In my case, it was my USB headset. But it could be any USB device (i.e mouse, keyboard, etc). My headset has it's own built-in driver or something and THAT was what was causing the issue. Now my husband has the exact same headset and we tried his headset and there was no issue. Bearing this in mind, and that this problem only started for me a few days ago, as well as that my headset is at least a few years old; in my case it appears that some component inside finally failed.

For anyone else having the same issue, my husband recommends removing (unplug them) all USB devices except the mouse and seeing if the problem is still there. If the issue is gone, then add one USB device back at a time and test after each to see if the problem returns. If the problem comes back, then you'll know the last one you plugged in was the culprit. Keep in mind that it could potentially be more then one device causing a problem, so keep adding back one at a time until you are sure all of them are good.

If you have a Dell or Alienware laptop, this is already a known issue and the solution there is to remove the battery, press down the power button for 15 seconds, and then put the battery back in. He suggests if you have such to try this solution first.

I hope this information helps someone else. I included the information for my issue for comparison. Again, I apologize for reviving a dead thread, but I am positive that if I had not had my husband to around to understand so much of the technical language, it would have taken me a very long time to figure out on my own. I just wish we'd realized the Windows connection sooner, but in the past, my issues in TS3 have been because of the game itself and have been either fixed with a patch or a mod. :lol: I am happy this proved not to be an issue caused by the game itself. :)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited July 2013
    Thank you Mariesalias I hope it helps someone. I certainly wouldn't have thought of it being a problem with USB devices.
  • harrismazzharrismazz Posts: 9
    edited January 2014
    I'm having this same issue. I have no mods or CC. I've cleared my cache and even tried the pulling my battery out and holding power button. Nothing has help. :(
  • kosmikhoekosmikhoe Posts: 2 New Member
    Has anybody found other solutions for this issue? :<<<
  • EA_JasonEA_Jason Posts: 51 EA Community Manager
    I've closed this topic as it was was quite the necropost.

Could you please create a fresh post where you highlight the issues with the drop-down menu with some more context? As the topic is so old, you'll have a better chance of getting a response in a fresh topic :blush:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top