Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No icons showing up in map view after update

The update actually installed fine this time. The only problem that I have with it so far is that the icons don't show up in map view. So the collection helper, the eye of horus, and the tombs for the adventures don't show up. So I have to click on the different places to figure out where I need to go.
My game has no CC, no mods, story progression and aging are both turned off, and I am only playing one family per game save.

Comments

• Options
    valjeanievaljeanie Posts: 107 Member
    edited June 2010
    I can't believe no one else has this problem?
  • Options
    simFREAK0simFREAK0 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2010
    same problem, also with the sim icons, the sim panel with all the needs, and the wishes. :x
  • Options
    SimGuruBrentSimGuruBrent Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited June 2010
    Have you tried changing the filtering of map tags?
    mapnb.th.jpg
  • Options
    HthrleeHthrlee Posts: 23
    edited June 2010
    Simgurubrent

I am having the same problem that simFREAK0 is having with the panel and wishes. What is this problem the result of??
  • Options
    Serlissa10Serlissa10 Posts: 27 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I am having the same issue... absolutely no map tags. I have to guess where things are like the library, science facility, etc. I have tried changing the filter above my sims to every thing possible but no luck.

Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    jujuguliujujuguliu Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2010
    same problem. can't see the bubbles telling me what is what. Can't find the person I need to go to for my adventure now.
    my sims panel works fine however.
  • Options
    HthrleeHthrlee Posts: 23
    edited June 2010
    So is any mod going to help us with this or ignore this?

Sorry-I am getting quiet irritated because I have had this game since Tuesday and want to play, but yet I can't. I paid money for something that's not working. I can't get any help from anyone on these boards either.
  • Options
    SpindaSpinda Posts: 72 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I am having the same problem. No icons in map view whatsoever, no matter what filter it is set on. If I switch active Sims they come back, but then randomly disappear again within a few minutes.
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited June 2010
    simFREAK0 wrote:
    same problem, also with the sim icons, the sim panel with all the needs, and the wishes. :x
    OMG me too! It's like my sims don't exist anymore. They stand there, but there is no way for me to select them, and their needs, wishes, icon, etc are gone and just blank! This is the first ever patch that I have had trouble with. Fix anyone?
  • Options
    iJancyiJancy Posts: 68 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I also have NO map icons. After visiting China, they came back but disappeared again.
    This is so annoying!!
    The filters do not work either...
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited June 2010
    I made a topic about this yesterday, and someone was nice enough to explain that the new patch changes how we install our CC, so you need to make a new folder for .Package files in your Sims3 folder. It also turns out for me that I had an old mod installed that wasn't compatible with the new patch and it was causing the problem. Here's what you have to do:

1. Open up MyDocuments/ElectronicArts/TheSims3 and make a new folder in there called "Mods"

2. Inside the new Mods folder, make two new folders called "Packages" and "DCCache"

3. Now open up Computer/C:/ProgramFiles/ElectronicArts/TheSims3/Mods/Packages and copy and paste all your CC .Package files to your new Mods/Package folder you just made in My Documents.

4. You will also have to download and save the new Resource.cfg and put it in your new Mods folder as well. (That is in the link below)

5. You are pretty much done, although for me the problem was caused by incompatible mods, so go through your new Mods folder and remove ALL mods. Mine was caused by a shadow/lighting mod, but I also deleted all custom sliders just to be safe cause I really just wanted the problem to go away. (One easy way to find the mods out of all the CC is that the file size is usually just a single digit KB, so they stand out against all the larger KB CC.

Here's the link to the entire instructions:

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game Help:Installing Sims 3 Package Files/Post Patch 1.12/2.7/3.3
  • Options
    iJancyiJancy Posts: 68 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I have no CC installed at all.
    If I change a pattern say on her shirt for example and I save it--is that considered custom content?
    Other than that I have never downloaded anything except for the store purchases on this site.
    Thanks
  • Options
    munchoz2munchoz2 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Just wanted to report that I also have the 'no map icon' issue. It occurs randomly during game play. Filters are set to all, no mods are installed on my game, tons of custom content (clothes, furniture) but no mods, sometimes the issue shows up immediately upon loading the game, sometimes it happens in the middle of play. Others are reporting this issue also on The Sims Resource. The only temporary fix that I've found is to travel. Once the error condition occurs, I travel to one of the World Adventures locales and then travel right home again and the map is fixed for a while. It's getting to be a pain...especially when you have to wait a few sim days to be able to travel again!! Please fix, EA!! Thanks!
  • Options
    greenapplecandygreenapplecandy Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    I am having the same problem with map tags, as well as other minor problems which have only occurred since the most recent patch.
    I don't have any custom content installed and only have WA
  • Options
    janesansiblejanesansible Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I don't have any CC and I am having the exact same problem in Riverview and Egypt on my normal games. However, I started a new game in Twinbrook and went to Egypt and the map tags in both towns were fine. It seems to be a glitch.
  • Options
    Charlie_babyCharlie_baby Posts: 7
    edited July 2010
    Sorry but was anyone able to fix this? My game is doing the same.
  • Options
    yvoleeyvolee Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    has anyone had luck with this yet? i have a MAC so i can't really follow the instructions about relocating custom content.

i hope this gets fixed soon. this is the first time i've played sims in several months and now with the new update it's not working properly!

i thought updates were suppose to fix things not make them worse. :(
  • Options
    MSladyTSOMSladyTSO Posts: 2,586 Member
    edited August 2010
    Just throwing my 2 cents in - I dont have any mods - only new content is from the Sims 3 store. I have my filter set to "all". Windows 7 machine - 64 bit. Really frustrating.
  • Options
    DiDomenicoDiDomenico Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    This looks like an old issue but I just starting having it today -- no map tags and I am not advanced enough to play without them. PLEASE HELP!!
  • Options
    Misty1492Misty1492 Posts: 6
    edited January 2011
    ive been playing the base game fine since the summer. i installed WA last week and since then many of my familys' need and other bar things disappeared... i just got fustrated and deleted those familys because nothing was working. someone suggested on another thread to use alt+Q and save game. then reopen it.. it worked for them but not for me..
  • Options
    SashanbeySashanbey Posts: 15
    edited April 2011
    I thought I was the only one!

Everything was fine, the next day went to continue playing my game in Bridgeport and all of the Map tags have disappeared! I've also tried everything, playing without custom content etc. I have a Mac so I can't do half the stuff suggested.
    But I have tried reinstalling my content from the store - I have no mods (I'm not even what they are), restarted the Mac, tried to save the game under another name, copy the game. No luck!

It's so mad, you pay for a game and you never know when there might be a glitch, it's sooo frustrating!
  • Options
    loulouhloulouh Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2011
    I've experienced this same issue for the very first time tonight - I've installed the most recent patch a few weeks ago, and for the most part, my game works fine (I experience the annoying 'Error Code 12' quite often though...)

I have base game, WA, LN, Ambitions and Generations. This 'no icons on map' issue first happened after a few hours of gameplay this evening, one of my familys teens aged up to Young Adult (the first to do so since installing Generations). Nothing was mentioned at all about Graduation or a ceremony, I thought that might be another related bug..?

Also, although in-game it's now Monday morning, none of my 4 teens have gone to school. The timer says school doesn't start for 23hrs, although I can't figure out why they shouldn't have to go when every other weekday, school has started as normal..?

I've mentioned more than one issue, I know. But might it all be related? Does anyone have a fix for the map issue? Coz lets face it - EA are of no help :cry:
  • Options
    aloncelotaloncelot Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    same problem here... and in adition I have to say that things that I buy in china also desapear from my inventory :x
  • Options
    kristenwoodskristenwoods Posts: 1,603 New Member
    edited July 2011
    i have the same problem with the map tags, its on all but nothing shows up, my other games work fine but this 1 the tags are gone, but 1 out of my 3 sims have map tags, if i am that 1 sim the tags are there, if im the other 2 they will not show up, it just happen to me just now, please help
  • Options
    milounanamilounana Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2011
    Me too! Same problems. I also had sims cloning, disappearing (as in they are invisible but still here and moving around), the jump bug (yes, like in sims2)... I also have story progression happening even though it is turned off. There seem to be some mods which correct those bugs but I really feel I have paid enough to have an EA approved solution, surely...
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top