Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can we do to help improve the Forum!

Back not too long ago, the forum used to be very lively and a really fun place to be. With summer just around the corner and a new expanchion pack nearing release, this might be a good time to give the forum a boost. As John F. Kennedy once said "Ask not, what your country can do for you. Ask what, you can do for your country." If we want to improve this place, we need to step up to the plate.

When aarin 'left' the forum leaving behind a helpful thread, I created the Walden95 Post Directory to help others and keep things moving smoothly.

When the Free Stuff List was abandoned, I created this thread.

Now, when The SimGurus fail to make an OT thread, I will open up the SimGuru approved food fight.
That is Food Fight 3
Linkage for proof

I understand that we do need EA's assistance and we do need at least some of their support. We still can do stuff. If we fail, we can say that at least we tried. I beleive that this time could be a wonderful opportunity to help give a well needed boost to this forum. A new expanchion pack is coming out and summer vacation is coming near. So I ask, what do you think you can do? :-)

Comments

• ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited May 2010
    i do try. i help all the new people with questions that i can, and i try to come with fun 'within the rules' threads to keep people entertained..

but alas i am only one person, and i have my kids dragging me outside now that its warm out.

i know things will pick up around here once ambitions comes out
  • LisaBooThaWeirdoLisaBooThaWeirdo Posts: 3,827 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Cool idea, Walden! :thumbup:
  • JoannaAsia95JoannaAsia95 Posts: 1,245 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I want to thank you for making the forum a bit more fun. I honestly believe we, the Simmers, are the ones who have to shape up this place. I really don't know how I would help, I don't come here often, but I'm starting to again.
  • CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    edited May 2010
    I think the big problem with this site is the lack of an off topic section.
    A lot of people want one and EA just isn't going to have it.
    I personally am indifferent about that.
    People are being banned left and right for the smallest of infractions and feel like they are walking on thin ice on the forums.

I must say Zeri does entertain me with her posts,but she is only 1 person.
    edited May 2010
    People are being banned left and right for the smallest of infractions and feel like they are walking on thin ice on the forums.

they're scared to give us an OT area because
    they think nothing but flame wars and trolling
    will be going on in the OT section. threads would
    be locked all over the place... =/
    edited May 2010
    lol yeah but if that were true, every fan forum would be nothing but chaos and anarchy.. and most of us get along quite nicely :P
    edited May 2010
    helloooo...? anyone at EA getting that? we're all nice to each other here. =D
    we help each other out with problems we might all have.
  • PistolkittenPistolkitten Posts: 5,413 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I'm kinda content with the way it is...then again I'm in the modeling section anyways, which is pretty active.

Maybe some creative people could come up with some new games here in General....more discussion topics...Zeri has some good ones....it should be easy we all play sims, or should do since we are here lol.

No need to be off topic this isn't a social networking site its a sims 3 site to talk about sims 3 topics...there's enough fan sites out there for getting to know other simmers and talking about other topics :D
  • Walden95Walden95 Posts: 3,089 Member
    edited May 2010

True but EA is EA. I'd like not to get too political but they can and will only do so much for you. Many choices may not be in your favor but they aren't the real force behind what keeps things going. It's the people; the government just serves as an outline and every once in a while helps out and stimulates the economy but it only goes so far. One person does not make a forum, but many do. That's why I made this thread to get people involved and get ideas rolling about what We can do. :-)
  • AltaiAltai Posts: 1,399
    edited May 2010

- Keep your posts on topic with The Sims 3 game and The Sims 3 website. You’re more than welcome to use your My Page blog for off topic posts

Your idea is pretty much just making a section for threads that aren't really allowed. :?
    edited May 2010
    Altai wrote:

- Keep your posts on topic with The Sims 3 game and The Sims 3 website. You’re more than welcome to use your My Page blog for off topic posts

Your idea is pretty much just making a section for threads that aren't really allowed. :?

That's what the Friday OT Sticky thread is for. It's a plus, a good start.
    edited May 2010
    altho, that does make me realize, the forum kinda started to die when the modeling comps moved to their own section. so, the forum may very well be as active as it always was. just the most popular threads arent here anymore
  • CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    edited May 2010
    Altai wrote:

No,Altai,I was not trying to give an idea.
    I was just pointing out what others want.
    As I said,I am indifferent,about an off topic section which means I don't care if we have 1 or not.
    Don't quote me the rules.
    Try reading what I said.
    edited May 2010
    Zeri wrote:
    altho, that does make me realize, the forum kinda started to die when the modeling comps moved to their own section. so, the forum may very well be as active as it always was. just the most popular threads arent here anymore

Oh, you are right. When they moved, there just wasn't enough pace in the GD to keep people interested.
    edited May 2010
    I've had the exact same feelings Zeri.....the movement in general discussion isn't what it used to be because 2/3 of the posts have been moved to either the legacies or modeling/sim sections.

Some of the posters who were modeling contestants have also moved with them....and no longer even lurk general discussion, because this section is normally just complaint threads and no longer interests them.

From what I understand we were never allowed to go off topic either...it's just the Guru's were a little more relaxed about enforcing their rules before, so some people have become accustomed to getting away with talking about their favorites movies, what they are having for dinner and how many pets they have....and they get angry when they get banned for it now.

We just need to get back to why we are all here, and that's the Sims!
  • AltaiAltai Posts: 1,399
    edited May 2010
    Altai wrote:

No, Altai, I was not trying to give an idea.
    I was just pointing out what others want.
    As I said, I am indifferent,about an off topic section which means I don't care if we have 1 or not.
    Don't quote me the rules.
    Try reading what I said.

Sorry I could hardly see what you said do to lack of spacing. :?

Okay maybe this will put it better, what you think is the problem, imo doesn't make any sense.

• dolphinz2121dolphinz2121 Posts: 3,949 Member
    edited May 2010
    I used to lurk the GD forum all the time, but like PK said, I've pretty much left it.

"But Dolphinz, why are you on it now?"

Because the remotely interesting threads are occuring around this time. Any other time - meh.
    edited May 2010
    Same Dolphinz!

Usually I might stop by when bored, check out some of the ''I need help'' threads to see if I can lend a hand.
    Other than that our community has been somewhat divided with these new sections....builders in creative corner, modeling contestants and hosts in there own little box, story writers over there.....and general is just blah hehe
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited May 2010
    The modeling competitions are great for those simmers who are interested in them, but I think it still needs to be its own category.

Talking about what happened with your sims today with pictures and participating in a modeling competition is not the same thing. It's a bit overwhelming to find interesting topics if you are not interested in modeling competitions at all. Talking about your sims should either be in the general category or a category unto itself.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    edited May 2010
    You don't have to be competing in the modeling comps to appreciate the pictures though!

But the section is called Sims and Modeling so both apply to that section now.
  • NavekNavek Posts: 2,038
    edited May 2010
    :idea:
    it is my humble opinion that:

the boards is for sims stuff only........ (na)

we the posting public, should be able to ask for boards for various topics and off topics,
    this is OUR MEETING PLACE and therefore should be able to decide what WE want to talk about.

we the posters are generally paying cash to ea on a regular basis, so we should have some rights ie the right to make more discussion boards

:idea:
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited May 2010
    You don't have to be competing in the modeling comps to appreciate the pictures though!

But the section is called Sims and Modeling so both apply to that section now.

Not for me. I have no interest in modeling and don't feel like digging through that stuff. My participation on the forum has dropped off dramatically because of it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    edited May 2010
    The forums would be fun for me if people would actually respond to a thread I post. 9/10 times I will post something and get a few answers and have like 50 views.....grrrr
    edited May 2010
    this forum has more lurkers than posters
  • OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    edited May 2010
    I am finding that out post by post. I may scare people away with my controversial topics though lol :)