Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's all better now

BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
It had to happen. Yes it did.

C-A-W crashed a few minutes ago while I was saving and corrupted my .world file and killed everything I did today. I made a back-up last night but for some stupid reason didn't back-up midway through my work today as I usually do. Dang! I had made such good progress today too! :thumbdown:

The real irony is that I was actually working on a fresh section of the eastern perimeter. Now I have to REDO that! I'm ready for a straight jacket. :lol:

ETA: I finally remembered to check the back-up directory in the saves and there was my latest .world save file from just about five minutes before the crash so all I lost was a few minutes of painting over some unwanted texture. :mrgreen:
Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)

Comments

• simbody872simbody872 Posts: 828 Member
    edited May 2010
    I totally know how you feel! I lost hours of work when my hard drive started to fail on me :cry: It's so easy to get caught up in building, fixing, whether it's going well or not and forget to save.

Just look at it this way, you know what you need to do and what you don't so you can do it in less time and it will most likely look 10 times better than what you thought you were happy with. *hugs*

Amy
    A Legacy Challenge. The Benton Legacy
    A Prettacy Challenge It Ain't Easy Being Green
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited May 2010
    :shock:Oh my gosh, I thought you were going to say you lost the whole thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You almost gave me a heart attack!

You should do something different on your map before you go back to that area. make a hobbit hut or something to refresh yourself.

Hey look at the cloud tutorial I did for Matkan and tell me if it's understandable. As you may have noticed, my writing skill is not my strong point. :mrgreen:
  • DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited May 2010
    I am sorry to hear that Regina, your world is looking awesome. I know how frustrating it can be to lose a lot of info due to a PC or software crash. I would tell you to look on the bright side, but I am way to much of a pessimist to do that! :lol:
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited May 2010
    Sorry for nearly causing heart failure, AuntieLynds! I learned from reading everyone's posts here to make back-ups at least once a day on days I work in C-A-W. Phew!

You know what's really weird? I was going to check this yesterday and then forgot to do it. You know those back-up directories? I kept wondering what was up with those. It actually DOES save a back-up of the .world file in the directory! Maybe I haven't lost as much as I thought I had!

I'm going to look at your tutorial now, AuntieLynds. Considering how tired I am tonight probably nothing will make any sense, though.
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited May 2010
    I'm with auntielynds! When I saw the title of your post I thought you were going to say that months of work were down the toilet!

My heart sunk imagining how devastating that would have been for you. Forgive me for feeling relieved that it was a days work instead.

I hope it does turn out that you haven't lost as much as initially thought!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited May 2010
    Commiserating with you, Regina. :shock: :(
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited May 2010
    So, here I was posting hastily again. There's no need for commiseration, so by George, I say let's party! :mrgreen:

You know what, Amy? Years ago I used to get completely caught up in stuff and forget to save. Then Maxis taught me a lesson in two things: One was never press Save & Exit. Two was to become a hyper-saver. I learned with TS1 to save at least once a day and always wait until first thing in the morning to leave my game because expansion packs always reset their motives. I about had heart failure the first time I loaded up Bob and Betty after I had just put them to bed and there they were standing beside the bed with full energy meters.

Then while playing SC3000 I had built a lot of my city up, then hit Save & Exit. The whole thing crashed and I lost everything I had done. I had spent hours and hours at it.

At any rate, I just dug out that back-up .world file and all but about five minutes' work is there! *does happy dance*
    I would tell you to look on the bright side, but I am way to much of a pessimist to do that!
    Well, let this be a lesson to you, then. I used to be a horrible pessimist and I've had my share of "rotten luck" but even when things are as bad as all get out, there is usually something good lurking about. :D

So, I'm off to watch "Bones."

• auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited May 2010
  • GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited May 2010
    Does this mean everything is all better now? :D