Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating Distant Terrain

Walden95Walden95 Posts: 3,089 Member
I've been looking around and can't find very much information on how to edit terrain beyond the normal borders that the CAW tool gives you. I remember while ago a thread, but I didn't bookmark it. :? Could somebody please tell because this will be for one of my neighborhoods, Keystone City. I want to get the town just right. I would appreciate any help; thanks. :-)

Comments

• Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited April 2010
    Was it on how to place Distant Terrain?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Was it on how to place Distant Terrain?

So it's an object? I'll check.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh now I see. :oops:

This isn't going to be fun playing around with.
    It would have been easier if they had provided a Riverview terrain also.
    Is there any way to create our own?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes it is an object. Theres the big one used in Sunset Valley, and several medium ones that were used for China, and France.

You can find them in the Meta data under objects, and there are instruction in the Caw walk through.

http://www.thesims3.com/caw_walkthrough

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes it is an object. Theres the big one used in Sunset Valley, and several medium ones that were used for China, and France.

You can find them in the Meta data under objects, and there are instruction in the Caw walk through.

http://www.thesims3.com/caw_walkthrough

Hope this helps.

Yes, I have both the base game and WA and now see all of those terrains. Thanks for your help. This project is going to prove challenging to get those to blend in. I thought that it was going to be actual sculpting and painting instead of placing preselected objects. :wink: Well, thank you very much. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Your Welcome!

And, Have Fun!
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited April 2010
    Walden, if you're building on the largest size map then you can indeed create your own "distant terrain" which is done with sculpting and painting.

What you need to have is a perimeter of hills or mountains around your world. This perimeter should be between one-and-a-half and two bounding boxes wide. You sculpt and paint it right into your world, then paint camera routing paint over the area you don't want to move the camera past.

While you work on the perimeter you'll be wanting to export your world and import it to your game to make sure you can't see past the hills. You will have to do this in the game since EIG doesn't pick up the camera routing paint properly.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    BSIRegina wrote:
    Walden, if you're building on the largest size map then you can indeed create your own "distant terrain" which is done with sculpting and painting.

What you need to have is a perimeter of hills or mountains around your world. This perimeter should be between one-and-a-half and two bounding boxes wide. You sculpt and paint it right into your world, then paint camera routing paint over the area you don't want to move the camera past.

While you work on the perimeter you'll be wanting to export your world and import it to your game to make sure you can't see past the hills. You will have to do this in the game since EIG doesn't pick up the camera routing paint properly.

I'm using the largest map but the playable area but unfortunately it is too big to create my own terrain. I just got the terrain in and I think that I can get it to blend in nicely. Most of the landscape in the terrain fits my map. There are a few areas that I need to change. I really didn't want my mountain range to be that way and that high, but I'll make due. I have left enough space to get things to blend in. I'm using the Sunset Valley terrain and the only real feature that I would have a problem with is that lighthouse island. :/ I'll have to live with that too.