I've googled for hours and couldn't find the answer to this problem so this is where I've been led by it all. I get the I/O Device error in these exact steps:
1. This is the first time this game has been downloaded on this computer. I pop it into the CD thingy.
2. I press autorun and enter my code, and agree to the terms and all of that.
3. It's downloading and the bar moves about 2 millimeters up, then pauses on
C:\...\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Caches\Sunset Valley.objectCache
4. Eventually, a notification comes up saying: Something about "a I/O Device error."
I got this game in the store. It's a 1 disk game and I previously downloaded it on my upstairs computer. Our video card was messed up (I just fixed it earlier though) so I uninstalled it. That's the only times it was ever installed. Both of my computers have Vista. The other comp with the messed up video card has problems also.
(Computer with the previously messed up video card (I'll call it computer 2 for less typing):
This comp might have an easier solution so I'll post it too.
1. When I pop in the CD autorun doesn't come up (Probably not a big deal). I go to computer and double click DVD. Half the time it goes not responding. If I try to open the CD's file, there's nothing in it.
2. In a case that I somehow got it to attempt to download, nothing comes up but something about a Win32 application. It doesn't have it or something. Tips would be nice.
It would be nice to get help for either of these problems from either no links or official gaming sites. I don't trust downloading from non-official sites.Now some guy told me there's trouble reading the TS3 disk and that I need a new drive. First of all I don't know which computer he is talking about and second I wanted to know if this would help.