Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**Superheroes/Supervillains Modelling Competition** FINAL DEADLINE 5TH MARCH.

SCORES!

RepulsiveDesire1

VC-Origins.png

Dark's score

Creativity: 10/10
Background: 9/10
Model: 8/10
Overall: 9.5/10

Total = 36.5/40

Comments: Stunning! Simply stunning! This picture clearly shows that a lot of time and effort went into both your backstory and creating the set itself. I’m glad you toned down the brightness of the picture slightly. The wings were a little distracting but you put so much thought into your entry that I couldn’t help but focus on Vancarmiel even with so much going on. Really the only thing I didn’t like so much about the picture was the smile on your model’s face and how stiff she looked – it just looked a little weird IMO

Squally's score

Overall: 9/10

Total = 36/40

Comments: I'm in love with the sky in the background! It looks so pretty, a more magical take on the usual starry backdrop that was a really nice touch. Also the floor of the forest, that must have taken some time with all the flowers and mushrooms dotted about, not to mention the greenery in the background. Your sim looks as beautiful as ever, and her pose is nice on top of that, though I will admit it looks a little stiff. I love the fairies stood about her, but the brightness of their wings did take away attention from your model a little. My suggestion would to have had them further in the background, and your sim more into the foreground, just to create more of a boundary between them.

But this is such a pretty and magical piece, and I really liked the back story that went with it. Amazing work, usual!

Total = 72.5/80

Sun2401

nevaeh2a-1.jpg

Dark's score

Creativity: 9/10
Background: 8/10
Model: 9/10

Total = 35/40

Comments: This picture is ama-zing! I have a fondness for the grungy look in pictures and you pulled it off really well for her cell. I kind of wish you had only done the cell or that you had used something else to show off the two rooms (i.e. putting her in a glass box or behind rusting bars) only because the lab area seems a little bland in comparison because aside from the stand with the crystals there’s not much going on. Her expression was amazing and I loved the idea you had about adding the shackle to her foot. Very creative <3

Squally's score

Background: 10/10

Total = 37/40

Comments: Wow. This one just blew me away! First off, I love the overall idea of comparing her dank little prison to the brighter, nicer area outside. It really helped drive home that she was being confined in such a sordid place. The background is stunning in her cell, from the rusting toilet, to the chain snaking across the floor, to the cage in the distance. I liked the texture you used for the floor too, and the sad little candle sat a top of the oil drum. The dull, neutral tones you used made your sim stand out, even if she's decked in a similar scheme. I like her clothes, the ripped jeans and stained top, and I especially like the blood stain on her neck. What was also nice to see is that she isn't all glamoured up; she actually looks like she's been mistreated. Her expression is also nice (nice being the operative word XD), she looks so down about her situation, it's easy to feel sorry for her. The only nitpick I have is that the shown lab doesn't really look like a lab to me, I think lab, I think of stark, contrasting colours.

An amazing job, over all! You really understood the concept of this assignment, and portrayed it beautifully!

Total = 72/80

Cece

Screenshot-419-1-1.jpg

Dark's score

Overall: 9.5/10

Total = 36.5/40

Comments: You’ve blown me away with this picture. Though yours and RD’s ideas were slightly similar in having rituals you’ve both done them in completely different ways. I did lose Niyol because there was so much going on but his pose is strong. That sim on the left near the front is a-freakin’-mazing! She looked like she was really getting into the ritual and almost looked demonic in pose <3. The blood effects on the floor let down the picture a little bit because it looked cartoony whilst everything else looked more realistic.

Squally's score

Creativity: 8/10
Background: 7/10
Overall: 8/10

Total = 31/40

Comments: I really liked this one! There's a lot going on, and the box at the front, and the story behind it, is really quite chilling. You did a good job of making sure that all the sims behaved too, not one of them looks out of place in terms of expression or pose. You also did awesome in keeping the darkness there, but making sure all your sims were lit up, that creates a really nice effect. I did feel, however, that it's a little too crowded, and your sim blends into the group a little too well. It would have been nice to see him a little more the centre of attention, perhaps and an angle focusing closer on him, or him stood out just a little closer? It's only a small nitpick, though!

This picture is great! I love the whole ceremonial feel of it.

Total = 67.5/80

PiaPia

2md181.png

Dark's score

Background: 6/10
Model: 7/10
Overall: 7.5/10

Total = 28.5/40

Comments: I absolutely love the idea you were going for here – to me she looks like she was hot off the production line still attached to the mechanical conveyor belt gizmo that shunts them around. Is that Edward from Charmed looking in at her? ^_^ Unfortunately your background was a bit bland; whilst it would’ve been hard I maybe would’ve tried adding in something that looked mechanical just to add a little something to an otherwise sterile environment and compound the idea that she had just come off the production line. I liked the idea of blurring her face to symbolise she wasn’t finished since I can still see the detail there but I wish you hadn’t cropped her arms and the top of her head.

Squally's score

Total = 36/40

Comments: Okay, so wow, I absolutely loved this entry! It's very unique, eye catching, and it's really obvious what's going on. Your model looks so creepily good as a recently made doll, and you captured that pretty well with her position and 'expression' of sorts. I also liked how you had her maker in the foreground, but not stealing any attention away from her whatsoever, but just being there as a vital part of her origin. Her bright colour contrasted nicely with the more monochrome colours of the lab itself, the only issue I have is that it's hard to tell there's a pane of glass between your sim and the scientist.

Other than that, amazing work!

Total = 64.5/80

awesome_phoebe

Screenshot-630-1.jpg?t=1267007496

Dark's score

Model: 7/10

Total = 29.5/40

Comments: I <3 grunge! When I saw that seedy alleyway I had to squee just a little. It could’ve done with having some better lighting not only to illuminate the detail in both your set and on your model but also to cast some eerie shadows against the wall behind her. The rain effect was a nice touch but IMO it looked a little odd that it was only in that corner. Your backstory was very interesting too – it reminded me of Catwoman for some reason in the most recent movie (in a good way I assure you). I’d suggest you watch your lighting because that’s what’s letting you down at the moment.

Squally's score

Total = 33/40

Comments: I love the grittiness of this picture. It's so moody and overcast, and it really looks like she's just taken a turn down a creepy dark alleyway. I especially like the rubbish scattered about the floor, though the glass of water IS a little odd, and the dumpster in the foreground. I also like her pose and the look on her face, you captured that pretty well for a moment that's hard to convey in game. My only criticism is that it's very dark, and while it's meant to be that way, a street light could have helped to throw that much more focus on your model; she's a little lost in the background, as it stands.

Overall, great work! You conveyed the gritty alleyway really well, and captured the moment!

Total = 62.5/80

dylsoccer12

15mydua.jpg

Dark's score

Model: 7.5/10

Total = 30.5/40

Comments: Awesome entry! Your model has a look of steely determination on her face and even looks as though she’s tilting her head up to look at the shuttle. I lowered your score for the background slightly because it just seemed a little bland; I’d have liked to see her in the same pose but perhaps closer to the shuttle? I’m not sure why your model has a wrench in her hand (wouldn’t that be in her kit already ready to take on board?) but you did a brilliant job!

Squally's score

Total = 31/40

Comments: I like this one, and again, you followed the specification of the task perfectly! I like the positioning of your picture, with your sim in full focus in the foreground, and the doomed shuttle in the background; that's a nice touch. I like her expression too, the determined look she has as she looks up to the skies, and the wrench clutched tightly in her hand. The few nitpicks I have are minor ones, first off the fence is a little heavy to be seeing the space shutting through, the picture would have worked just as well without it, or with a shorter/less dense fence.

But a great job, overall! You really gave good with both the model and the background this time around.

Total = 61.5/80

SimCrazy

Screenshot-91-3.jpg

Dark's score

Creativity: 7/10
Model: 5/10

Total = 26.5/40

Comments: Great idea but it didn’t really work for me. I loved your background (again, I love anything grungy <3) but the two arguing sims in the foreground are kind of distracting, their clothing doesn’t suggest that they live behind the boxes (I would’ve expected them to look dirtier, more worn and torn – why isn’t the dad wearing a t-shirt at least? I’ve never seen a homeless person go shirtless) and Virulina is just standing there. Now I’m not sure if the little girl also in the picture was her childhood self or whether she was a sister but ultimately the picture is about your model and she didn’t really look like she was a part of the scene; you had the little girl crying, the two parents fighting which was great if distracting and then she was just standing there without any reaction to it ^_^;

Squally's score

Total = 34/40

Comments: This picture really showed the emotion involved in the situation! From the couple arguing in the foreground to the younger sibling crying in the background with her sister stood protectively by, you really captured the mood of this scene. You did a really great job on making sure that your sims stood out, despite it being night time, and we can see the details on them so much clearer! I like that you chose to hide the father's face, it gives him a more sinister air in my opinion. I also like that the mother, daughter and.. other child (can't make out the gender :D ) all share the same trademark white hair. The angle.. I'm torn whether if I like it or not. On one hand it's unique, and portrays the origin nicely with the arguing couple in the foreground. On the other hand it reduces your sim to the background, and we lose a little focus on her. I think in this case it works, since we still get that focus despite that. Another slight nitpick I had is that the mother looks a little too young; I had to go back and check what your sim looked like, to make sure she wasn't the one in the foreground. I'd have made it clearer she was the mother by giving her a slightly more dated outfit, or hair style.

But this picture was brilliant! Great focus on the situation and your sim, with an amazing level of emotion.

Total = 60.5/80

LyrianFleur

2i6o0lx.jpg

Dark's score

Overall: 7/10

Total = 26/40

Comments: Can I just say that I loved the scenery? You paid a lot of attention to detail with the look of your set right down to your ‘extras’ clothing but unfortunately the angle let you down. There is a lot going on in this picture which in itself is distracting but you managed to keep your model as the focal point – unfortunately I can’t really see her due to the angle. If you had angled the camera down a bit more so it was level I would’ve been able to see her look of utter shock and fear considerably better. It’s such a shame because the photo was stunning but your model is the most important feature and due to the angle I just couldn’t see her as well as the extras.

Squally's score

Total = 32/40

Comments: I love the positions in this one! You can really tell it's in the middle of something going down, what with the shocked expressions and the astonished look on your model's face. I like the background because it really gives the impression that she is somewhere well off, though it does mean she blends in a little as they're of similar colourings. I do like that you managed to capture her expression despite not being close up, and her pose is brilliant, trying to get out of the crazed King's way. The only suggestion I could have made was to make sure your model stood out from the background a little more, especially when the other two female sims do that spectacularly.

A unique situation, and a very emotionally fuelled situation! Great work~

Total = 58/80

samantha2226

mabc61.png

Dark's score

Background: 4/10
Overall: 5/10

Total = 21/40

Comments: Brilliant backstory but to be honest I didn’t see that really reflected in the picture. I would’ve expected more gravestones if she was in a graveyard, you can’t really see the crossroad sign you referenced to (if you hadn’t had said it was a crossroad sign I wouldn’t have known) and the lighting wasn’t great. I know that it was supposed to be dark given that it’s a spooky graveyard at night but even a little bit of dim lighting would’ve helped to illuminate your model and the set whilst keeping that dark feel. The idea was you had was brilliant but I think you could’ve pulled it off better with your photo.

Squally's score

Total = 33/40

Comments: This is such a sad picture! The darkness of it actually helps with the mood of the piece, and for reasons unknown, I really liked the water in the background; it helped brighten up the picture just a little bit. Your sim looked so sad, and yet so pretty at the same time. I'm glad she kept her focus despite it being dark, and I have to say, I like the skeleton stretched out next to her! I have to say, it is a very dark picture and some of the detail was lost because of that, but again, it really did work.

I really liked this one! Very sad, but oddly beautiful.

Total = 54/80

rockbelly929

140kxhf.jpg

Dark's score

Background: 5/10
Overall: 6/10

Total = 22/40

Comments: You had a nice idea but I felt it could have been executed a little better. I thought that the school setting looked quite bland to be honest and the two sims on the left drew my eye more than your model did which is never a good thing. I think I understand what you were trying to convey; since he was bullied a lot you wanted him to look upset right? Unfortunately he completely obscured his face with his hands and a model’s face is key in any picture. He probably could’ve done with being a bit more central or those other two sims possibly should’ve been further into the background so they didn’t draw the eye as much as they did for me.

Squally's score

Total = 31/40

Comments: I like the set up on this one! You can tell the other two sims are making fun of poor Jeremy, and it's surprising how something so seemingly innocent is the start of something far grander. The background was a nice touch too, allowing us more focus on your model, but still telling a story. I also like his “gothic” outfit :D Unfortunately this picture didn't really stand out for me because there was no real focus to draw my attention in. Your model is shunted off to the side, and the other two sims are the ones who are getting the full focus. Also I can't really see Jeremy very well, I'm letting the fact he has his face covered slide because he's clearly upset, but since he's in such dark colours (which is his style, of course) he just fades in comparison to the others. An angle switch would have solved this, twisting the camera so it's focusing on him in the foreground, with the other two sims visible over his shoulder. Another nice touch would have to have shown the ghost of his deceased friend, or even his gravestone.

Overall I really liked this, and you did full fill the criteria required! Unfortunately there just wasn't enough focus on your sim.

Total = 53/80

WINNER: RepulsiveDesire1

ELIMINATED: Person1000 and LAZombik did not get theirs in before the deadline, so I'm really sorry to say, but you've been eliminated.

ASSIGNMENT THREE – LAIR

SAMPLE – HERO

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR.png

Einna stays in what remains of the destroyed factory, gathering what she can to make it feel like home. She feels closer to those who died there, and that alone resolves her determination to see justice done to them. She can do her research here, and has a phone line installed for any heroric duty she might be called up for!

SAMPLE – VILLAIN

LAIR.png

Hidden away atop a mountain overlooking the ocean Niwa paid top dollar for this secret hideout… so of course it has to have the best gizmos and gadgets that money can (or in some cases, can’t ;-)) buy. From this secret hideaway he can plot the demise of the human race safe in the knowledge that no one will ever find him :twisted:

DEADLINE: - 3rd March 9pm UK time

Again, amazing entries you guys! I'm loving the level of work we're getting from all of you, and how imaginative you guys are being with what we give you!

When our heroes and villians aren't saving the world or out to destroy it, they're hanging out in their lair. Do they hang out in a skyscraper overlooking the city so they can laugh manically and pronounce all people as ants? Or are they tucked away in a tree house in the middle of no-where for protection? Batman had his batcave filled wall to wall with gadgets and computers, but Peter Parker only used his bedroom.

What we want to see is your hero or villian's lair! Where do they recieve those all important phone calls about cats being stuck up trees? Where do they have that big red button that could send out the nuclear weapons at just a push? Basically we're looking for a shot of the area where your sim operates as a superhero/villain!

Any questions, then please ask away!

ENTRANTS:

1. RepulsiveDesire1 [Taiah Terry (Vancarmiel Castiel) – Hero] :mrgreen:
2. Sun2401 [Nevaeh Black - Hero] :mrgreen:
3. SimCrazy [Virulina Brute - Villain] :mrgreen:
4. dylsoccer12 [Stellaria. Real name: Dina Culvers - Hero] :wink:
5. awesome_phoebe [Miss Kitty. Real name: Kitty London - Villain] :wink:
6. PiaPia [Xandra. Real name: Sandra Lautnery - Hero] :mrgreen:
7. rockbelly929 [Jeremy Van Volkasburg - Villain] :mrgreen:
8. LyrianFleur [Mouse. Real name: Deanna - Hero] :mrgreen:
9. samantha2226 [Elmerelda - Hero] :mrgreen:
10. Cecesaun1 [Niyol Cheveyo - Hero] :mrgreen:

SUBMITTED: :mrgreen:
SEEN: :wink:
DROPPED OUT: :oops:

Unfortunately there is a rule and this lone rule will apply throughout the competition and must be abided by at all times. No exceptions unless otherwise stated in the assignment brief.

NO EDITING SIMS IN CAS.

This means; no changing their eye colour, facial structure or skin colour. This also includes modified sliders such as the bust sliders, hips/waist/bum etc sliders and the elf ear sliders. Touching any of these sliders to improve the cosmetic appearance of your sims is technically cheating

Please note that you are allowed (and in fact this is strongly encouraged) to change your sim’s hairstyle, clothing, makeup (this includes ‘masks’) and anything else that doesn’t involve physically changing the sim’s structure in any way.

You ARE allowed to have another sim or several sims on set (like in my sample picture) but please be aware that the focus MUST be on your model so you have to make sure they shine through regardless.

SCORING:

Just a reminder that scoring will be based on the following:

Creativity: 0/10
Background: 0/10
Model: 0/10
Overall: 0/10

There will be no extra points awarded for editing, I would prefer to see as much in-game content as possible.

Best of luck!

As an added note, I'm so sorry for any mistakes in this post, I'm knackered ^^;

Edit: NGH someone's image is breaking the page. Just trying to figure out whose it is.

Comments

• DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited February 2010
    Also; since both rounds have had people miss the deadline there have been no eliminations. This round regardless of whether someone is a no show we will be eliminating one contestant. That keeps it fair and means someone won't win by default ^_^
  • rockbelly929rockbelly929 Posts: 591 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Woah, so close to being gone! I need to work harder this time! I'll get on it soon.
  • RepulsiveDesire1RepulsiveDesire1 Posts: 3,226
    edited February 2010
    If I had the fairies any further back they would have been in the water, and if I had Vancarmiel any further up I would have lost a lot of the detail with the flowers and mushrooms. But it was a really hard shot to make work and I'm thoroughly satisfied with my scores. Thanks for the comments.

Now I've got to put on my thinking cap and come up with something good for this round... i'm drawing a blank at the moment.
  • dylsoccer12dylsoccer12 Posts: 9,357 New Member
    edited February 2010
    seen it! Ps: the end of the map was right beyond that fence.......
  • Cecesaun1Cecesaun1 Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited February 2010
    Seen it! :-)
  • Sun2401Sun2401 Posts: 4,992 Member
    edited February 2010
    Congrats RD
    Wow, I didn't think I did that good!! Thank you for the comments! And I am happy noone got eliminated and also frustrated when there are no shows.

DS -the reason I didn't do it the way you suggested was b/c I felt like it would of been too similiar to what you did in charming, but I did think about it. :) But who would of thought of a glass barrier, that would have been awesome!!!
  • awesome_phoebeawesome_phoebe Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited February 2010
    The glass is supposed to be some 'juice' lol!

Anyway I'll be sure to make this picture better :):mrgreen:
  • LAZombikLAZombik Posts: 45 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry I didn't meet the deadline. I've gotten sick this week and it is still pretty bad. I'm sorry if I held anything up! Good luck everyone!
  • SquallySqually Posts: 491 New Member
    edited February 2010
    @LAZombik: Aww don't be, it's such a shame you didn't make it on time D:
    edited February 2010
    I have a question. In assignment 1 I started building her lair, but then stopped b/c I thought it would be a future assignment. So my question is can I still use it, but it will be finished. And does she have to be in costume? (if yes to the 2nd ques., is it alright if I change it a little?).
    edited February 2010
    @Sun: I don't have a problem with you using the lair you built earlier ^_^ & they don't have to be in costume :)
    edited February 2010
    okay, thanks :)
  • samantha2226samantha2226 Posts: 287
    edited February 2010
    Yea I agree with my scores as my picture was really rushed!

But now I know what to work on ^-^
  • LyrianFleurLyrianFleur Posts: 128 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Errrr, well, the model was the blonde, not the brunette. The brunette was the princess being attacked, causing Mouse to become part of the guard and not just some lady-in-waiting. Obviously I didn't frame it correctly. Will definitely keep that in mind. BIG mess up on my end :oops:

In other news, I actually already made her a really awesome lair, so this next assignment is already half done...

edited February 2010
    @LyrianFleur: Ahh, that makes more sense!~ :D

Also I apologise that your picture is so small, for some reason my photobucket keeps stretching it out of proportion and breaking the page.
    edited February 2010
    You can just copy/past the link from my original post if it becomes a problem again.

I should have composed the image better but I was trying really hard to keep her as a focal yet still have all that action, which is why I had such the weird angle. I have an idea of what I should've done instead but hindsight is 20/20, yes?

I'm just really excited about the next one because I made her house with an assignment like this specifically in mind!
    edited February 2010
    You're picture was great Lyrian, so much going on. I don't know how you captured it all at once. I know what you mean by hindsight though, I knew what was wrong with my picture and what would make me loose points before I even posted it but I couldn't mess around with it anymore, my head would have exploded. Looking forward to seeing your picture for this round :D
    edited February 2010
    You're picture was great Lyrian, so much going on. I don't know how you captured it all at once. I know what you mean by hindsight though, I knew what was wrong with my picture and what would make me loose points before I even posted it but I couldn't mess around with it anymore, my head would have exploded. Looking forward to seeing your picture for this round :D

Chaos Mod, moveobjects on, and luck. I could only get two out of four to react to Chaos, so I had the orange guy scare the lady in blue (the queen, lol) and paused at the right moment and I was lucky that Mouse and the princess were both in those particular positions in the animation loop. I had visions of having the orange guy scaring the queen 50 times before I got the timing right. Then I just moved everyone to that room and tried to position them in a way that made sense.

I loved your picture, by the way. And I love your back story, too. It's a beautiful concept! Where did you get those mushrooms? I have no use for them but they're awesome!
    edited February 2010
    I think the place is called blackysimszoo or something along those lines. Yeah when i downloaded them i thought what in the world am I going to use these for, but i finally found a use for them :D.
    edited February 2010
    I'll repost this from the other competition so y'all know what's going on:

So my game and I are having a fight. As in, I'm-going-to-pretend-to-load-only-up-to-the-moment-it's-time-t
    o-open-the-game-file-I'll-crash fight.

I'm going to try to compress my CC again and pray it won't all disappear again and report back :/

edited February 2010
    Good luck! If you need an extension let me know.

Actually... I think Squally had this issue just a couple of days ago. She's at work at the moment but she found a specific piece of CC that likes to attach itself to other downloads that basically corrupts the whole game and causes it to crash before it loads. Once she gets back she'll be able to help you.

Edit: I'm not sure what the file name is but it has 'CAS' in it.
    edited February 2010
    I did 2 pics for this already and am not satisfied w/either. It is a snow day, so I will continue to "fool" around w/it today. I do not know what else to add to the pic to make it more dynamic.
  • PiaPiaPiaPia Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited February 2010
    @ DS: Yep, it's Edward from Charmed looking at her. I'm surprised you actually noticed :XD: lol.

And this assignment looks really funny, actually. I love making house-things that actually has a story :XD:
    edited February 2010
    @LyrianFleur: If your problem is the same as mine, then try this. Open your launcher, and go to your downloads. Scroll down and look for an item called 'new CAS project'. If you have it, it will have deselected all of your other custom content. Delete the 'new CAS project' and reinstall all the unticked stuff.

Hope that helps!
    edited February 2010
    okay, now i did 4 pics!! I hope I choose the right one. I will post in a few. Hate being the first one, sometimes it feels like you are at a disadvantage especially when you are uncertan.