Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop HOT + turning off!

hello :) On seperate occasions my HP laptop has turned itself off while playing TS3. It is getting really annoying as it has lost saved games. My laptop gets hot really quickly and i think that is why it is switching itself off. Also when it gets hot the gameplay is often slow. I don't no weather it is the heat thats making it slow or some of the settings in the game. Please help but PS i'm not that clever at computer terms so please try to put it simply. Thankyou so much. :!:

Comments

• Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited January 2010
    Get a fan to put under your computer, it will help regulate the heat. You can buy one at Wal-Mart or Target. It shuts off because it is overheating from over exertion. Try changing the settings and see if that speeds up the game a little

:)

~AP
    23uvol1.jpg
  • CitrusmoonCitrusmoon Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited January 2010
    If you're experiencing lags/freezes, it maybe the setting in your game is too high for your computer to process.
    To reduce lags/freezes, I would recommend putting your in-game graphical setting to medium or low. Note, that lowering graphical setting means less details in-game.
    At the same time, if your computer is overheating, this can contribute to lags/freezes in-game.

It would also help if you lower your screen size resolution to 1280x1024 or something similar depending on your monitor design.
    自分のアバター作ってみたにょ。難しいにょ!シムズ楽しすぎにょ!
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit / ASUS Maximus VII / Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4 GHz / Cosair Vengeance 16GB RAM / NVidia GeForce GTX 980 SLi / Samsung SSD 840 PRO HDD
  • IamMamainredIamMamainred Posts: 7,042 New Member
    edited January 2010
    HP Laptop get very hot, they really need a cooling pad under them & kept on a flat surface, not your lap, or on bedding or carpet. If you do not do this, you will damage the PC, the heat will fry it. Cooling pads can be found anywhere that sells PC's.
  • ShadowsEmberShadowsEmber Posts: 421 New Member
    edited January 2010
    This definitely sounds like it is your computer and not your game. Your computer has a fan and what's known as a heat sink in it. These work together to keep your computer at a comfortable temperature. Running programs and other processes causes your computer to work harder, thus it gets hotter. Your computer combats this with the heat sink/fan. If there is something wrong with either part, your computer will continue to get hotter, until it reaches a certain temperature (which varies by computer but tends to be 140+ degrees f) at which point it will shut off to prevent damage. Most people don't realize that overheating can actually cause problems if left unchecked. Your lap top should run at most really no more than 80 degrees when pushed hard.

However, it sounds like your computer is either just starting to go bad (since it seems like it takes a lot to overheat) or like you're covering the vents on your lap top. Is your lap top blocked at all by anything? Do you keep it against your legs? Does it sit on your bed? Is it up against something? If so, always make sure to keep your lap top on a hard surface to prevent blocking these vents. Even the best computer will shut down if the hot air has no where to dissipate to.

If you aren't doing any of the above, it sounds like either your fan, heat sink, or possibly thermal paste (a substance applied to electronic internals to help control heat passage) may need to be replaced in the future, especially if you notice the problem getting worse. There are tools you can download to push your computer so that it runs "hard" and tools to measure the two temperatures your lap top has to control. If this is the problem, it's actually not that hard to fix. However, since you said you aren't good with computers, it is somewhat more difficult. I have a few simple questions for you... Does your computer seem extra loud? Does your fan make odd noises when it kicks on? Does it ever seem to suddenly stop working or does it seem like it is straining sometimes? How old is your computer? Do you have pets that shed?

Haha well I don't mean to freak you out, I'm simply trying to figure out what your problem may be. Like I said, IF the issue lies in your fan/heat sink, it's actually not that big of a deal. It's also a pretty cheap part to buy off of E-bay or the like.
  • SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited January 2010
    Hi there.

Can you post your DXDiag output for review, please? Let's take a look at the system environment as well.

http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=21325

Thanks,

-Big Guy-
  • ShadowsEmberShadowsEmber Posts: 421 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I didn't see the post prior to my previous message until after I responded, but HPs themselves do not run hot. No computer should be overheating like this, no mater what the brand. A cooling pad will help with minor issues, but shouldn't be substituted for a proper fix. Really, cooling pads are there for people that like to keep the computer against their legs or in other odd places. I only recommend buying one if you frequently block the vents I was talking about before because you insist on using the lap top in your actual lap haha. Again, the computer should really just be kept on a desk, table, or similar surface. But if the problem lies in the computer's internals, a cooling pad won't do any good. It's definitely a wise idea to figure out what the problem really is first.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • CitrusmoonCitrusmoon Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited January 2010
    Laptops overheat no matter what thanks to the limiting space avaiable in the laptop. Laptops also has bad ventilation and the heat ends up staying in the body most of the time.
    There's almost no way you can have laptops overheat, unless you use the cooling pad, which will lower the temperature by a small amount.
    Another tip to keep computer getting hot is to put near the window too.
    自分のアバター作ってみたにょ。難しいにょ!シムズ楽しすぎにょ!
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit / ASUS Maximus VII / Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4 GHz / Cosair Vengeance 16GB RAM / NVidia GeForce GTX 980 SLi / Samsung SSD 840 PRO HDD
  • IzziebelleIzziebelle Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited January 2010
    I had a HP laptop once-it got so hot inside the components were singhed (sp) and you can see various burn marks on the top. LOL I kinda wondered why my ex gave me a free laptop.