Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feedback: What's Good, What's Bad, and What's Just Plain Different

I want to preface this post by saying that I wasn't going to buy the game so early after its release, because I know there is always a period of time when kinks that didn't appear before the game was taken out of the testing bubble are worked out.

Obviously, my will-power cracked :D Anyway, I wanted to offer some feedback after a few hours of playing the game:

The Good

Traits - adds a great new dimension and enjoyability to the game. I'm constantly laughing at unexpected things my Sims do!

Opportunities - a great expansion to the Chance Cards of TS2 - I like how they tell you the parameters and it is up to you to complete them.

Customization - while I agree with others there is a limited number of different styles of each object/hair/clothing, I do like that I can recolor them so I'm not looking at cookie-cutter replications all the time.

Work - I do like how the "go to work" desire some players had was fulfilled. I don't want to watch them do paperwork all day, but I do like how I can choose how hard they work, and even have them leave work in the middle of the day to accomplish something else (or eat!) and then come back.

Lifespan - great idea! While I get used to the game (and playing with my Simself) I really like the fact that I can make the lifespan of my Sims longer so I don't feel rushed or unfulfilled. On the same vein, for an additional challenge I like that I can make their lives shorter.

The Bad

Teleporting into Transportation - it's just weird, and I would like to see them get in the car/get on the bike.

Jerkiness - scrolling and zooming is jerky (on my computer, at least).

Build/Buy Interface - I hate to say it, but it is much less intuitive than TS2 when you are not in the "function" tab. I do long for a return to the simpler interface of TS2.

Just Plain Different

Dining out - I'm still on the fence about this. I know some of the community buildings are more interactive than others, which I admit I'm still getting used to.

Parties - no longer are they a "mini game," and I feel like they are more natural to real parties. Guests can have a good time without your Sim needing to entertain every one individually - they can have socializing among themselves.

Interactions - these are what is taking me the longest to get used to. I'm sure they will become second-nature to me eventually, but they are a bit different than I'm used to.

In short, I'm still getting used to this game, as we all are. I would highly recommend the Prima Guide for this one, as I would never know where to go to accomplish some tasks (or know how to choose a baby's traits) without it. I feel this iteration of the Sims combines what I remember from the console version of TS1 with the personalities aspect of TS2. I also need to keep reminding myself this is a new/different game - it is NOT The Sims 2 and that it will take some time, as it did when transitioning TS1 and TS2.

All in all, though, I am pleased and excited about the new possibilities this game has to offer...but I'm keeping my copy of TS2 installed for when I need a dose of the familiar :)