Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Traveling in WA makes parents unrelated to their children.

PROBLEM:
Sims become unrelated to their parents when a family member travels to a World Adventures location.

EXAMPLE #1:
My Sim, Michael, was born to two unwed Sims (they later married after he was born). Now, when I send any member of his Family Tree to a WA location, Michael becomes unrelated to his parents -- the game simply stops recognizing them as family. They disappear from each others' Family Trees, the Relationships panel shows no indication that they are family, and he and his parents are able to do Romance interactions with each other as if they are not related.

Here is the Family Tree as it should appear:
33ll0yb.jpg

Here is the Family Tree again, now broken after Michael's brother-in-law visited China for a day. Notice the set of parents on the top left are missing:
j8i0bb.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the mother interacting with her son after the Family Tree was broken. She's able to do Romance interactions with him, which she shouldn't.
51ue09.jpg

EXAMPLE #2:
I uninstalled the game completely, reinstalled it with no custom content whatsoever, and started a brand new game in order to see if I could recreate the problem with a similar family.

Just as in the screenshots above, I have one married couple (on the top right) with a daughter. The couple on the top left has a son and were unmarried when he was born (but married afterward). The son and daughter have a child, just like the family above.

After sending any Sim from that Family Tree to a WA location, the couple on the top left becomes unrelated to their son. The Family Tree and Relationships panel show no indication that the parents and the son are related, and they are able to perform Romance interactions as if they are not related.

Here is the Family Tree as it should appear:
34ez6f7.jpg

Here is the Family Tree, broken after visiting a WA location. The formerly unmarried couple on the top left is missing:
296kldw.jpg

EXAMPLE #3:
LeahxRIx8 reported that the issue also occurs with married couples. Below are the details of her experience:

I had JUST sent my 2 teens to Egypt for cameras. So, I booted up the game, and checked. Their first son shows up in the family tree, but the 2nd son - NOPE. I am so ... GRRR. This is going to ruin my future generations!! They won't see Raven's children as their grandchildren. Raven's kids won't see his brother as their uncle! The family shows Raven as a "GOOD FRIEND". (source)

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

This bug will occur at 12:00 AM at the beginning of the second day of any vacation. The Family Tree will remain intact upon first arriving at the location, but at exactly 12:00 AM, the Family Tree will break, as shown in the examples above.

Most of the time, the bug will happen at 12:00 AM, but occasionally it won't (even though I do nothing differently). When it does happen though, it's permanent; the Sim's parents become irreversibly unrelated to him.

I performed the above tests in December 2009. At the time, my game was fully patched to Game Update 2.3. I was able to reproduce the problem multiple times, with and without custom content installed, in my original installation of the game as well as a brand new, clean installation and a brand new saved game. Since that time, I have been able to reproduce the problem under each subsequent patch release (2.4, 2.5, 2.6) and on multiple PC's. The problem has persisted in every patch version, regardless of custom content, and on multiple computers.

I have thus concluded that:
1) the problem is not related to custom content,
2) the problem is not exclusive to my PC alone, and
3) the problem persists in the current patch version of the game.

EA FEEDBACK HISTORY:

11/19/09: I report the problem on the Technical Discussions forum. EA does not respond.
11/19/09: I report the problem on the Possible Bugs forum. EA does not respond.
11/20/09: I report the problem on the Technical Discussions forum with screenshots. EA does not respond.

12/16/09: I post the current thread on the Technical Discussions forum.
12/17/09: SimGuruBGY_11 asks, "Are you running the current patch, or the pre 1.8 version?"
12/17/09: I confirm, "I'm running the current patch which was released yesterday, patch 1.8 / 2.3. However, the problem has occurred for me in every patch since the release of World Adventures. But the screenshots taken above were taken in a fresh installation of the game, immediately patched to 1.8 / 2.3."
12/17/09: SimGuruBGY_11 responds, "Ok, thanks. That'll help narrow down what might be happening; it doesn't appear that you're running into the 1.8 patch errors that are being reported."
12/18/09: SimGuruBGY_11 adds, "Unfortunately, with the 1.8 patch issues being reported, I don't have any new information on this particular issue, other than it is being looked at by the developers. We're asking that folks subscribe to this FAQ for updates: FAQ"
12/18/09: The FAQ reads: "While we do not currently have any workarounds for these issues, our engineers are hard at work and should have a solution to this issue very soon."

2/5/10: Two months later, SimGuru_BGY_11 writes: "I don't have an update at this time, other than the issue is still being looked into."

4/13/10: Two more months later, SimGuruBGY_11 writes: "We're aware of the issue with the blue lots and lost interactions. Please subscribe to this FAQ, which we'll update as soon as more information becomes available. FAQ" (This is the same FAQ he posted on 12/18/09. The FAQ itself has not been updated since December 2009.)
4/19/10: The current thread is moved from the Technical Discussions forum to the Possible Bugs forum without explanation.
4/27/10: The current thread is then moved from the Possible Bugs forum to the "The Sims 3 World Adventures" forum without explanation.

5/21/10: SimGuruLily writes in, apologizing for the lack of response and making it known that she "will personally be taking steps towards reaching a solution to the issue."

6/1/10: The Sims 3 Ambitions is released. Several players confirm in this thread that the problem persists even with Ambitions installed and the game fully updated.

7/7/10: EA finally releases a fix for this bug via Game Update 1.14 / 2.9 / 3.5 / 4.2. The patch notes read, "Fixed an issue that caused Sim relationships to break when traveling to Egypt, China, or France."
7/9/10: Some players report that they are still experiencing travel-related family tree problems after the patch.

PARTING THOUGHTS:

I first began experiencing this issue on November 17, 2009.

After very little communication from EA, a fix was finally released on July 7, 2010 -- almost eight months and a full expansion pack later.

While I'm grateful for the fix, the true ordeal was not the bug itself but the astounding lack of communication on EA's part in getting it fixed. Their customer service representatives were dumbfounded, a fix was promised "soon" seven months before one was actually released, Sim gurus who responded in this thread did very little more than say "we're aware" once every three months while relocating the topic from one forum to the next.

Is this seriously how this company is being run? This is possibly the best-selling company game franchise in the world, and you allow a game-breaking, incest-allowing bug to remain active for eight months, all the while barely even acknowledging the players who are experiencing it?

My trust in EA is shaken. I was a very active player of this game up until I started experiencing this bug, but after so many months of aggressively seeking an answer and being consistently ignored, I've stopped playing altogether. It frankly is not fun trying to play a game while simultaneously worrying about the stability of your progress or of the product itself. But that's been my experience with The Sims 3. It's such a great game with so much potential, but EA has proven untrustworthy when it comes to keeping their own product functional.

It's a tragedy to see such a great franchise so mishandled.
9d9hOnJ.png

Comments

• Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited April 2010
    I sent the following message to EA customer support in November 2009:
    Archivist wrote:
    Traveling to any of the new locations in WA makes members of my family unrelated.

I currently have three generations. After sending a Sim to any of the new locations, the game no longer indicates that the grandparents are at all related to their son or granddaughter. The Relationships tab only lists them as Friends, and the grandparents no longer appear in the son or granddaughter's Family Trees. The grandparents' Family Tree does show the son and granddaughter, but it only lists them as Friends, and if I click the son or granddaughter's icon, the grandparents again disappear from the Family Tree interface.

This issue has occurred every time I travel abroad and remains permanent unless I restore my game. I have tested it with and without CC, in version 2.2.8.002001 as well as the version that came directly before it, with the same results.

Is EA aware of this issue and is something being done?

About two weeks later, EA responded:
    Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

I do apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.However,the question you submitted seems to be related to the mechanics of playing the game. Due to the high volume of contacts we receive, Customer Support is only able to assist with issues of a technical nature, such as error messages, game lock-ups, or game crashes. For suggestions on how to play or utilize features of our games, we recommend visiting the game’s message board forum. You can reach the main forums web site for EA games at http://forums.ea.com. From that page you can select thegame you have a question about. Other players are often thebest resource for game play questions, and chances are goodyour question has already been mentioned. If not, you canpost the question, and should receive answers shortlythereafter.

If you find that your question is notbeing addressed on the game’s message board forum, thereare other online resources to try. Web sites such aswww.gamespy.com and www.ign.com have reviews and informationon almost every game, and www.gamefaqs.com has walkthroughsfor most games currently available*.

Anotheroption for game play help is to try the official game guidefor the title in question. While not every game has anofficial game guide, most of the more prominent ones do. Oneof the leading publishers of strategy guides is Prima, youcan find their website at http://www.primagames.com/. Their guides can also befound at most video game retailers.

Should yourequire further assistance about this or any Electronic Artsgames in the future please visit our website and review ourextensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com).

Sincerely,

/>Phil

EA Customer Support.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    More information:

The family from the first set of screenshots had custom content installed at the time. (only hair and skin, no other CC or mods)

I then uninstalled and reinstalled the game with no CC, mods, or mod framework installed at all. The family from the second set of screenshots was played in a perfectly clean and fully patched installation of the game, but experiences the same issue as the first family: the unmarried parents become unrelated to their son.

I've thus concluded that the issue is not CC-related or mod-related at all.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    bump
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited December 2009
    Hi Archivist.

Are you running the current patch, or the pre 1.8 version?

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hi Big Guy,

I'm running the current patch which was released yesterday, patch 1.8 / 2.3.

However, the problem has occurred for me in every patch since the release of World Adventures. But the screenshots taken above were taken in a fresh installation of the game, immediately patched to 1.8 / 2.3.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok, thanks. That'll help narrow down what might be happening; it doesn't appear that you're running into the 1.8 patch errors that are being reported.

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the quick response.

Also, if it'll help at all, I've tested the bug multiple times from a saved game saved while the Family Tree was still intact. Each time, I've sent a family member on vacation and fastforwarded to 12:00 AM. Most of the time the bug will happen, but occasionally it won't (even though I did nothing differently). When it does happen though, it's permanent; the Sim's parents become irreversibly unrelated to him.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    janko1031janko1031 Posts: 132 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I have the same problem. I use Save with complete family tree, and when I start traveling I lose part of family tree immediately.
    It was problem with 2.2 patch and nothing changed after installing 2.3 patch. I have decided not to travel with this family because I want to keep their family tree.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. It makes me wonder how many people actually are having this problem but just don't realize it because it's so subtle. This could potentially ruin a lot of legacies.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    bump
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey again.

Unfortunately, with the 1.8 patch issues being reported, I don't have any new information on this particular issue, other than it is being looked at by the developers. We're asking that folks subscribe to this FAQ for updates:

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=23852

Regards,

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Will do, thanks again.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Been almost a month now since I last bumped this, and almost two months since I first started experiencing this issue. Any news?
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    Ritko1Ritko1 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if this is related or not, but I can no longer view my family trees at all after installing WA. Or rather since going on a vacation it doesn't work. Worked fine with WA installed until i actually took a vacation. The "family tree" button just doesn't work at all. No pop up family tree to view. Its kinda a bummer cause I like to keep track of what the family members have been doing (ie: married, had kids) after I move them out. However in the relationship panel, it still shows house hold members as being related. I have not installed any custom content.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    bump
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey again.

Unfortunately, with the 1.8 patch issues being reported, I don't have any new information on this particular issue, other than it is being looked at by the developers. We're asking that folks subscribe to this FAQ for updates:

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=23852

Regards,

-Big Guy-

Any news about this issue? Been in the dark for two months now, and that link hasn't been updated since I first bookmarked it.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    NikakNikak Posts: 3
    edited January 2010
    I'm having the same glitch. I have no custom content, no downloads and am completely patched. Additionally, I am running WA for mac.

Whenever I travel with my family, the family tree buttons either
    A.No longer work
    B. Random family members become unrelated.
    C.The pictures of family members move to weird corners of the family tree box.

Seriously?
    I'm so sick of this game not working. I've played sims since the very first day sims 1 came out, never missed an expansion since and I have never been more disappointed in EA games or any of their products.
  • Options
    Adic2simAdic2sim Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    I have the same problem, my teenage sim died in China in a fire in vacation home, put his tombstone in inventory and took him home, but his tombstone vanished! Sooo quit and reloaded, back in China and put him in family inventory and bought him home safely, waited few days for restore ghost option and restored him.
    BUT he knows none of his family (mother, father, 1 sister, nephew) except 1 sister but she doesn't know him in relationship panel and his family tree is just him.
    He shows up in the rest of the sims family tree until I went on another vacation to China and now the family tree button doesn't even work.
    I know its a little problem but I cant help but get fixated and obsessed with finding a way to fix it. :?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey, folks.

I don't have an update at this time, other than the issue is still being looked into.

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's been almost three months since I first posted this, four months since I first started experiencing this issue, and two months since I stopped playing The Sims 3 entirely due to the game-breaking issues that began with World Adventures and the patches surrounding its release.

Any news about this issue, EA? Are you doing anything about it at all? The page you linked me to hasn't been updated since December.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bump
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    bump
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    bump
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just updated to patch 2.5.

Tested the issue again. Clean installation, no third party content installed. Same problem, whether I'm playing my old saved game or a brand new game.

This issue has persisted through every version of the game since WA was released.

Help?
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    AvengerAvenger Posts: 980 New Member
    edited March 2010
    I cannot believe this problem has been around for so long. I've experienced the exact same thing. Sim Guru Big Guy as acknowledged my issue. Surely this problem is almost fixed!

Archivist, how did you take a photo of your family tree? I'm not great with technology/computers & only have one family member in my legacy with an intact family tree & she's an elder. I want to take a screen shot of it for future reference (before Grim comes for her).