Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why did they even make this game really?

Comments

• RichiepoleJnrRichiepoleJnr Posts: 35 New Member
    edited June 2009
    You stared at the wallpaper a thousand times and wished it would change? .. maybe should have hit up one of the many custom content sites and downloaded a few of the many, many new wallpapers available at any one of said sites... or yeah.. just wait till they bring out sims 3 and shell out another £30 for the privillage.. thats also cool.
  • ZeffrinZeffrin Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2009

Turn off aging, and/or story progression and then go buy a half decent computer and all of your problems are solved.

Except expecting however many expansions packs worth of content sims 2 ended up having in the base game for Sims3... I mean I wouldn't complain if I cracked open my sims 3 box and found like 15-20 dvds in there but really we all know that wasn't going to happen.

Content will come over time, same as it did for Sims 2... but actually Im starting to wonder how much we really need it... for every new mesh you have many possible combinations in terms of colour, material etc.

For example on that one... I bought a house, it had a no doubt cheap bathroom set looked like it was out of a 30+ year old house... went into the style creator and made bath, toilet and sink all look like stainless steel with the shiny dark metal fittings... with this new style creator thing for every model in game there are im sure more than a thousand possible aethestic choices!

Of course to look authenticate some choices while possible wont make sense like cotton table tops or metal bed sheets but still, many possibilities for styling up your houses
  • DarmbaggieDarmbaggie Posts: 189 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Darmbaggie.. go to bed.

So people getting help with problems in their game isn't as important as your "I'm not happy let the world spin to reflect that" thread?

Got it.

Can I go ask your parents why you were even made? :wink:
  • DarmbaggieDarmbaggie Posts: 189 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Zeffrin wrote:
    Turn off aging, and/or story progression and then go buy a half decent computer and all of your problems are solved.

He doesn't want his problems solved. He just wants us all to know that he's not happy.
  • AeoniscytheAeoniscythe Posts: 1,488 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Do you really believe EA will lose money on TS3? :roll:

There was absolutely no creative reason to make TS3. TS2+expansions+CC = as far down that "sandbox game road" as you can wish to go without getting pedantic. Do you REALLY enjoy your game that much more now than "Mrs Random", who lives on the other side of town, and by the way, looks like a blow up doll now ages the same as you do?

The point is that it costs tons of money to fund and create a new game than to just build off of one. How long has the game been in development? Years, correct? That's millions that the company has to make up to gain a profit of course. Now how long does a EP take? Months? I wouldn't be surprised if EA gained more revenue off of EPs for these games than the base games since they take a lot of work, time, and money to create.

It's much more than just aging the same time as I do. Maybe that is the point you are missing. It's getting married and living at the same time.

In sims 2, the entire world revolved around what you did. You controlled the entire neighborhood whether you wanted to or not. Who got married, who got jobs, who had kids. Nearly everything. The big leap is a small step that needed to be taken and that COULDN'T be taken by just adding a expansion pack.

You know what the big difference between GTA2 and GTA3? A cameraview. Seamless neighborhood is a big change that just can't be added into the game without creating a entirely new game. It's like trying to add a basement to a apartment on the 3rd floor or something.
  • sidemansideman Posts: 35 New Member
    edited June 2009
    First, I have enjoyed playing The Sims 3 for the most. There are numerous things about it that irritate me. My biggest complaint is the "store". Most of what's in there should have been included in the free inventory, since this was promoted heavily as a "premium" game. To me premium mean more and better than the average. The slow speed of Sims doing things is my other major gripe. But, all that said, I like the game.

Many folks, including the original poster of this thread, are comparing this to The Sims 2 with it's EPs. That's not really a fair comapariosn. (Note: I am not a big fan of the EA compnay. But, that's a differnet thred).

To all who have made the Sims 2 /The Sims 3 comparison, might I suggest this. Go back to your Sims game, if you haven't deleted it from your hard drive, and remove ALL the EPs and every CC item. Then play it for 8 - 10 hours. Why, because this is a base module, just like the Sims 2 original offering was. If you want to make a FAIR comparison of The Sims 3 base module to The Sims 2, you MUST remind yourself what the Sims 2 base module was before any EPs or CC. I think if you do this, you won't be quite as impressed with the Sims 2 compared to The Sims 3. With all the EPs and tons of CC, The Sims 2 became a very good game. Those are the things that addicted many of us to the game. But it took a little while for all of that to happen. As EPs are released and new CC is available for The Sims 3, it might (who knows yet) turn into a pretty decent game, too.

Comparing it to the Sims 2 is fine. However, at this point you can ONLY compare it to the original Sims 2 base module if you are going to make a FAIR comparison. Bacause that is what this is. As I said, if you go back and play The Sims 2 with no EPs or CC of any sort, you might not be as impressed with The Sims 2, in comparison. Again, you might be. But, I think most people who are now making the Sims 3/Sims 2 analogy would be less upset if they compared base module to base module.

Just my opinion. Sometimes I'm wrong and sometimes, contrary to what my wife syas, I'm right. You're entitled to your opinion; this is my opinion.
    edited June 2009
    Mate.. You spent all this time whinging about my thread, you could have been off scouring the boards for people with problems.. what are you doing here man? .. there could be people out there that need help..!! RUN RUN RUN DARMBAGGIE
  • mrtauntaunmrtauntaun Posts: 114 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Good points, totally agree. Especially the bits about Spore. EA got my money again with Sims 3, maybe I'll learn this time.

To those who say put it on the shelf and move on, maybe you can afford to put $50 worth of things on the shelf and let it collect dust, but if I can't get a refund, I will remain angry I wasted the money. Sure, nothing I can do, but I can post about it :)
  • SynnSoonSynnSoon Posts: 103 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Ugh.

I didn't even read the whole post but jeez. They made the game because loyal fans of the original Sims series have been waiting five years for the next installment. Of course they're going to make money. But I sincerely believe if they just wanted to release a crappy game without buffing it, it would have come on on the originally intended release date of February 20th. :?
    edited June 2009
    Someone give me a pen and paper? ill draw you guys a picture..

1. I am not comparing TS2+expansions+CC to TS3. I made this very clear in my opening post.
    2. I am enjoying the game for what it is.
    3. I do not feel that this game "deserves" to be called TS3.

Guys if you're gonna reply at least read the original post.
    edited June 2009
    The delayed release date was about marketing, not about last minute improvements. H2H.
    edited June 2009
    Says you.

Your post says other people have posted their opinions on their feelings about the game. Some praise, some condemn. Anyone who starts a thread opens the opportunity for others to express their opinion, which is what people who have been replying to this thread are doing. Simply stating their opinion.

You feel one way, and people state their opinion. This is the whole purpose of the board. If you don't want people to come in and agree or disagree respectfully, then don't make a thread.
  • SkatySkaty Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Firstly, I am playing this on a less than minimum required specification and it works perfectly (if you put all settings, except AA to minimum). That is what most people complain about when they say that their PC lags, they think that a minimum requirements spec PC can run up to the maximum of graphics settings.

Secondly, you might think that The Sims 3 is will have 4D, mind reader and some kind of VR. No, that would not be possible. Accept the fact that the world is 3D and there is no more D's on the world. Yes, I know TS2 has a lot of improvements, such as 3D, aging and what nots but then we are still NOT in the future, remember that!

Finally, EA would not listen to your comments as you are 1 out of 10 million and EA might only act if half of the userbase threaten to get a refund.
  • ValagilValagil Posts: 391 Member
    edited June 2009
    Someone give me a pen and paper? ill draw you guys a picture..

1. I am not comparing TS2+expansions+CC to TS3. I made this very clear in my opening post.
    2. I am enjoying the game for what it is.
    3. I do not feel that this game "deserves" to be called TS3.

Guys if you're gonna reply at least read the original post.

See, but it kind of goes both ways. I understand what you are trying to say and you are entitled your own opinion. However what I have noticed in this thread is other people posting their opinions. There are many people out there that do believe that the game deserves to be called TS3. I feel that TS3 is a huge leap from TS2. Yes, there are some imporvements that could be made, but all in all, I think the game has made a lot of progress.

As far as CAST goes... Yes there is a lot of CC in TS2, but I may have something in mind that I might not be able to find. For example one of my favorite design features is that I can make anything I want match.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just saying you can have your opinion and that is fine, but that does not mean that those that disagree are wrong.
  • EllivisionEllivision Posts: 43 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The crazy thing (that most ppl are missing here) is that Ive played the game for two days straight.. I AM enjoying it, if I forget that its "The Sims 3" and just think of it as some £19.99 game that Ill play for a while then ditch, yeah its fun.
    TS2 was, IMHO, more than just a game. It was more than other games. TS3 is fun, but its just another game.

Explain this to me, please. The Sims 2 is "more then just a game." SIMS 2 BASE ALONE. The Sims 3, which is an improved version is however "Just another game." and "could've been an expansion pack." Can you still see, however, that Sims 3 AS A BASE GAME is better then Sims 2 AS A BASE GAME? You admit, at least, that there are more features and that these features should be added to the Sims franchise. Why are you so hung up over the fact that they are in Sims 3 instead of Sims 2? Because they don't meet your expectations of what a sequel should be? They aren't "deserving" features? Can I ask what features WOULD be deserving?
    edited June 2009
    Valagil wrote:

As far as CAST goes... Yes there is a lot of CC in TS2, but I may have something in mind that I might not be able to find. For example one of my favorite design features is that I can make anything I want match.

Also, all creators will do is create meshes. If they can just create the mesh and allow us to recolor in the game that instantly solves that problem that many of us had about not finding nothing to match.
    edited June 2009
    synsoon.. what the heck? ive no problem with anyone here.. besides Darmbaggie who, i feel at liberty to say, i think is a bit of a tard.

Just frustrating that quite a few people arent bothering to try to understand what im saying (but they still bother to comment right.. lol).. Im not comparing it. Im saying, who are the people most likely to buy TS3? .. People who loved TS2 right? ok.. so those ppl who loved TS2 are likely to have all the packs, all the CC they could every possibly need.. and even some they dont ( scale replica of the titanic anyone? ).. From a purely creative standpoint, there was VERY little reason to make TS3.

My personal opinion is the game is not good. Yours may differ. I am fine with that. That aside, my question is.. did they really need to make this game? I think no. Again, if you can convince me otherwise, fine.. nothing wrong with that.
  • EllivisionEllivision Posts: 43 New Member
    edited June 2009
    ^But the target audience isn't just hardcore Sims fans. It's hardcore sims fans and new players and people who once played but quit because they didn't like Sims 2 and casual gamers, people who have never even played a game in their lives, hardcore gamers, etc etc.
  • AangaAanga Posts: 107 New Member
    edited June 2009
    If you don't like the game @OP good for you.

But people thinking this should have just been an "expansion"...honestly, that would not have been possible. Game play is very very similar to 1 and 2, but there is a new game system in place. The entire game engine is different.

So yes, a whole re-write of the game engine called for a new series, not just an "expansion". It wouldn't have worked.
    Just frustrating that quite a few people arent bothering to try to understand what im saying (but they still bother to comment right.. lol).. Im not comparing it. Im saying, who are the people most likely to buy TS3? .. People who loved TS2 right? ok.. so those ppl who loved TS2 are likely to have all the packs, all the CC they could every possibly need.. and even some they dont ( scale replica of the titanic anyone? ).. From a purely creative standpoint, there was VERY little reason to make TS3.

Actually, quite the contrary, sir. I keep reading about people saying that TS3 isn't TS2. Well DUH. It's not supposed to be. The whole dynamic and point of view works differently. As the person who posted above me, they're targeting multiple areas, much like MOST game creators are at the moment. The gaming industry is in a movement to pull non-gamers into the game. Thus, putting in a new game engine and changing the dynamic of the game. It offers Sims fans a different way to play the game, but like was said, it's to pull less hardcore gamers in. For people that keep saying it's not TS2 and TS2 was waay better. On one hand, yep not TS2...wasn't meant to be. What was the point of creating ANOTHER Sims game if it was going to work EXACTLY like the other two? On the second, if you enjoyed TS2 more...good for you. No one's trying to tell you otherwise. But TS2 all ready exists, so go back to playing it and let those of us who enjoy the new dynamic to play and look forward to expansions rather than tell EA that they're a piece of crap and shouldn't have ever made the game.
  • CobeSliceCobeSlice Posts: 34 New Member
    edited June 2009
    QR

I dont think its fair to hold this one to TS2. If you want to do that, then I suggest you uninstall every expansion and stuff back and look at what the two offer as being the first ever in their own right. TS2 is "a ton better" right now because of the years of expansions and stuff packs and all that other mumbo jumbo that came out. This game is fresh, new, and expansions are scheduled for as early as november. So, until we get some quality stuff and expansions, dont be so hasty to criticize!!
    edited June 2009
    No, I think a lot of us get what you're trying to say. Just like the poster above, I have no reason to argue. I went back and read the rest of your post and Still don't agree. Just my personal opinion.

Asking everyone to go back and read your post doesn't automatically mean they'll agree. Your thread is like every other thread that someone makes here. People will reply, not all of them will agree. If you want everyone to agree, then coming here isn't the place for that because everyone won't. If you just want to share how you feel, be prepared to have people disagree.

No biggie.
    edited June 2009
    synsoon.. what the heck? ive no problem with anyone here.. besides Darmbaggie who, i feel at liberty to say, i think is a bit of a tard.

I think you're not getting what some of us are saying.

That we wanted the seamless n'hood with the sims that live around you and make their own decisions. That's why I bought the game. I'm a gamer first and foremost. If the game didn't appeal to me I would have been fine not buying this game soon. See I buy a game a month, I could have easily decided that UFC game was the game I wanted and moved on and still be satisfied with the Sims 2.

BUT...

To me the game adds A LOT to the series and it gives a lot to build on for future EPs.

You can keep saying that there was no reason creatively to develop the game because you feel the game isn't much different from it's predecessor. I feel it's sequel worthy though so how can I agree that there is no reason for the existence of "The Sims 3"?
    edited June 2009
    Ellivision I think u might have hit it right on the head there. The target market for this game is.. "everyone". Doesnt the very nature of a target market imply exclusion of some? ie. People other than those in ur "target market"
    The very idea of the Sims is kinda niche.. not everyone is meant to like it.
  • crimsonsunsets22crimsonsunsets22 Posts: 2,591 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Good God, you are one angry little man.

So you feel like the game didn't need to be made and isn't as good as you expected it should be, or whatever. That's all well and good. Your point was made. Everyone understands your qualms. We can't do anything about it. We can either agree with you or disagree with you. It's inevitable that some would disagree.

There is NO ******* POINT arguing with people who disagree and calling them 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and insinuating that they missed your point entirely because they are simply too dull to grasp it. They got your point, they just don't agree with it. It's going to happen throughout your entire life.

I will agree with you on this: this game was created (in part) to make money. Anything that goes into the mass market has the purpose of making money. I don't really think it's fair to say that EA doesn't care about what their customers want, though. I'd assume that making an enjoyable game is probably up there with making money. I think they've done both. There are some unhappy customers, but there are also customers that are very happy with how the game turned out. It'd be more reasonable to say that EA doesn't care about what YOU want. But if they had focused on each individual person's desires and expectations for the game, the end result probably wouldn't have been enjoyable for anyone.
    edited June 2009
    Dont bother with UFC till they patch it.