Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why did they even make this game really?

Hello

I enjoyed playing the Sims 1, wasnt really hardcore about it but enjoyed it nonetheless. I was a massive fan of Sims 2, lost countless hours/days/nights to the game, and was highly anticipating the Sims 3.

I live in the UK so the earliest I could get my hands on the game was 12 Thursday night, which I did, and have been playing pretty much ever since.

Ive read a lot of threads on here about people hating the game for various reasons, and other people defending it and declaring it the best Sims game ever made. My personal opinion after playing for two days is that there was no need for this game to be made. Sure there are a few new features, but I feel that instead of releasing the game as "The Sims 3", they should have released it as the next expansion pack for Sims 2.

Look at the differences between Sims 1 and Sims 2.. Improved graphics, improved customization, whole new levels of depth to the game. Sure there was no bear to kick over ur garbage.. but it was a massive improvement on the original game.

Along came the numerous expansion packs and stuff packs, and The Sims 2 became in my opinion more than any one game ever could be. Most of the hardcore Sims 2 players will, like myself, own all of the expansions and also have a ton of custom content in their game. I think the people who deleted their Sims 2 games from their hard drives before installing Sims 3 may have been a little nieve in their expectations.

But what option do we have? anyone who loved the Sims 2 will want to play the Sims 3. Its logical. But realistically, where could it go? what more was there to do?

We now have an "open neighbourhood". I own an average computer so maybe I dont qualify to comment on this new feature as the "seamless" transition of sim screen to neighbourhood screen takes about 30 seconds, and everything renders in suuuuper sloooooow moooooootion.
Still, if i had (like some have) bought a new pc just to play this game, and I could smoothly and seamlessly switch from one screen to the other.. what fun would await me? I get to watch my sim vanish into a building .. then I get to watch the building.. for a LONG time. Then my sim pops out, and Im treat to a slideshow of a poorly rendered graphical representation of the ONE neighbourhood, untill he arrives home. Once home I wait the usual 30 seconds for my house and belongings to re-appear, and I can go to bed. For 15 minutes. 15 minutes REAL time. Who on Earth decided this was a good idea? Seriously...? Oh and I can actually go with my sim to work!.. and.. watch THAT building for a LONG time.. great.

The fact that I love the new traits system is more of a curse than a blessing, as this is the one thing I would miss from this game if I went back to playing Sims 2. If the traits werent there, I could shelve this game for 2 or 3 years untill the inevitable expansion packs are available, and then maybe it could hold a candle to its predecessor..
..or maybe not. The most important thing lacking in this game is quality. The Sims 2 had quality in abundance, and this game does not.. "Spore" did not.. the Sims 3 gives me the same feeling I get when I play Spore.. it feels cheap, carelessly produced. Even the Sims themselves look ridiculous. Like inflatable dolls. Oh and who decided that only big mamma jamma's have breasts? ..

There are only really two things that need to be known about this game.
Firstly, it is the most pointless game ever made. We already had everything we wanted in the Sims 2, and the good things from this game could have easily been added on as an expansion pack.
Secondly, the people who made this game care less about the enjoyment of the player than they used to.

In answer to my threads title, they made this game to cash in. Pure and simple.

Comments

• WickedLovelyWickedLovely Posts: 177 New Member
    edited June 2009
    You don't need a new pc to play the game decently. My computer is almost *cringes* 4 years old and yet I can travel through different parts of the neighbourhood pretty much seamlessly.

I can appreciate that you don't like the game. But I enjoy it, sure there are a few things that bug me. I really don't like the rabbit hole lots. But for the most part I'm enjoying the game. Love the scenery and the different feel the game as a whole has.

It's quite different from sims 2, that is why they made it. i don't think of it as a replacement for sims 2, but more of a new game. Plus I got rather bored of sims 2 a while go.
  • EllivisionEllivision Posts: 43 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Well, on my computer the game loads fine. I'm having none of these problems of "poorly rendered neighborhoods" or "15 minutes real time" between actions. I personally LOVED TS1 and although I own many TS2 expansion packs, I could never fully enjoy it because of the wants and fears system. I want to tell MY story, not be forced into doing what they want.

I also think comparing a game that has been super expanded to a game that is currently on its base layer isn't entirely fair, but I still enjoy TS3 better then TS2 already, mainly because I love the feel that things are always happening around me. The town feels like a town, not like people only are at the lot because I am. I enjoy it, but it's your opinion. Perhaps you should try it on a speedier computer, I could see how that'd be frustrating.
  • ScubaLassScubaLass Posts: 219 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Put the game on your shelf and move on! There are many of us that love this game, everything works well, it is full of gameplay with many new features. There is a whole new world to discover!

Get over it! Or buy a new computer!
  • RichiepoleJnrRichiepoleJnr Posts: 35 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I wanted to love this game so bad, but I just feel like a ***** playing it. Its like they made a nintendo DS version and then ported it onto pc.. et voila
  • DarmbaggieDarmbaggie Posts: 189 New Member
    edited June 2009
    "Why did they even make this game really?"

Duh...to make money.

Next question.
  • johnwaltermanjohnwalterman Posts: 624 New Member
    edited June 2009
    THEY MADE THE GAME JUST TO MAKE YOU MAD!!!!

happy? :roll:
  • MiniieMiniie Posts: 258 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I agree whole heartedly. I bought this game because i a hardcore sims fan, and although i think the TS2 is wayyyy better than TS3. I really like that my other sims continue to grow as i play in another house. That's probably the only thing i'll miss.
    edited June 2009
    I don't see how Sims 3 = Nintendo DS Sims 2 AT ALL.

The graphics are way better, the ENTIRE TOWN is going AT ONCE, and there's so much more subtle detail. I'm constantly discovering new interactions and things to do, and by the time I think I've found everything out, there'll be a new expansion pack to enjoy.
  • AeoniscytheAeoniscythe Posts: 1,488 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Disagree.

First, Sims 2 doesn't have everything I want in the game. Because aging seamlessly with seamless neighborhood isn't possible with the sims 2...along with the traits and everything else. They would have to recode the entire base game of the sims 2 AND the each and every EP along with it. No way this could have been just another Expansion pack.

This game is good enough to be a sequel to the BASE game of the Sims 2. That's what it strives for and it achieves that. People expecting it to have everything the Sims 2 had with it's numerous expansions are asking for a lot. So much that the game would have been delayed for another year at least. Just give it time, pretty soon the CC will be our with the first EP and people will realize how much the sims 3 is better than the sims 2.
    edited June 2009
    Folks you're missing my point. Even if I was playing this on a supercomputer, the new features are, for the most part, gash.
    Also I did try to make it very clear that I feel that anyone hoping that this game would directly replace the entire Sims 2 catalogue was being a little over optimistic.
    edited June 2009
    So, you're saying you want no moodlets, traits, or seamless neighborhood because you liked Sims 2?

Personally, had this all been just another expansion pack (Which, for obvious reasons it never could be even if the graphics were TS2 style) I would've never bought it. I found Sims 2 to be dull. I think people get your point, and are disagreeing. It's part of a forum, is to have open conversation where people can either agree or disagree. If I'm misunderstanding, I apologize.
    edited June 2009
    People are saying how great it is that the town is "alive" around them in the new game.. it might just be me, but this kinda detracts from the sandbox nature of the game for me. Its things to do for the sake of things to do. When I start up a Sims 2 game I have some kinda idea of what I would like to do in that game, and everything is there and available for me to use regardless of what it is that I want to do. With Sims 3 I feel like im constantly being pushed into a given direction. It feels like it should have levels. And why is it I can travel accross town in a taxi faster than I can pee?
    edited June 2009
    Folks you're missing my point. Even if I was playing this on a supercomputer, the new features are, for the most part, gash.
    Also I did try to make it very clear that I feel that anyone hoping that this game would directly replace the entire Sims 2 catalogue was being a little over optimistic.

The point YOU'RE missing is that all of this is just an opinion. Your opinion. And since it's your opinion that some things are disappointing, you're questioning why the game was even made???
    You do realize that other people exist in this world of ours don't you?
    edited June 2009
    How many times did you find urselves playing Sims 2 and think "Hmm.. this is fun but.. what would be REALLY cool is if my sweater matched my wallpaper"?
    edited June 2009
    How many times did you find urselves playing Sims 2 and think "Hmm.. this is fun but.. what would be REALLY cool is if my sweater matched my wallpaper"?

um...746.

I think.

edited June 2009
    Yeah I realize this is just my opinion. Do you realize this is just a forum designed to facilitate interpretations of opinions? www.dictionery.com/irony
  • AeoniscytheAeoniscythe Posts: 1,488 New Member
    edited June 2009

And i'd still disagree. Seamless neighborhood, the aging, how each Sim lives their own life. That's not possible for them to just add it into a new game.

Also to say EA made this to make money, well how true can that be? Companies lose money because of the cost of making games. If they could have made another EP then they would have, that's much cheaper cost and brings in more revenue most likely. But I don't see how it's possible.

You're also forgetting a lot of other small features like the weight, and small graphical upgrades like how the sun sets and the moon rise, CAST. There are many differences in the game if you ask me, enough to warrant a sequel.

Think about seamless downtown EP? Or a Seamless University neighborhood? This couldn't be done and I think once the first EP comes out, the CC will get rolling and patches and mods will have fixed whatever people didn't like they will love this as much as it's prequel.

We forget if there was anything we didn't like about the sims 2, there was a mod to fix it. whether that be "zzzZzzzs" above the sims head, censorship, or whatever else.
  • melissawarholmelissawarhol Posts: 133 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Is it just me, or does the Sims 3 remind you a lot of the Sims 1?

I like the game so far, other than all the problems I'm having with my '01 PC. :lol: I wish it had an updated driver and a new video card because I have far more than enough RAM on my computer. So it's somewhat of a lost cause for me. :(
    I wish my computer was fancy and fast as hell like some other simmers here. But oh well.

I love the Sims 1, minus the low wiggle room you have. I love the Sims 2 with all my heart, and I was so very extremely excited for the Sims 3 to come out. Once it did, I was a little upset because I first couldn't install, had to wait until today to finally get it, had a few more hours of trouble, finally got to CAS.

Loved. It. Absolutely loved it. There's so much I love about it. I love that it's very organized, and that there isn't a bunch of disproportional shirts and stuff with the pants. I love that you can choose your shoes. And accessories. I love that you can customize the color down to the almost very last detail. I love that you can tweak it so much that it really is your own creation.

I'm still getting used to the seamless neighborhood thing and the way everything is set up. I'm not too hot for the way the toolbar thing is set up when you're playing your Sim, I think it's a little too organized, that it will definitely take me some time to get used to.
    I've only been playing for a few hours so I don't know all of whats new and old, and what's gone, and me being a huge Boolprop user, I'm not sure how I'll be able to adjust to the regular simming, but I guess I don't have much of a choice do I? :D

I tried playing the Sims 2 today before I installed the Sims 3, and I was bored out of my mind because I just kept thinking about what I could be possibly missing :wink:

Hey, it's not for everyone. Some people will like it, love it, hate it, never play a Sim game again. Oh well. You can't please everyone.
    edited June 2009
    Do you really believe EA will lose money on TS3? :roll:

There was absolutely no creative reason to make TS3. TS2+expansions+CC = as far down that "sandbox game road" as you can wish to go without getting pedantic. Do you REALLY enjoy your game that much more now than "Mrs Random", who lives on the other side of town, and by the way, looks like a blow up doll now ages the same as you do?
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I realize this is just my opinion. Do you realize this is just a forum designed to facilitate interpretations of opinions? www.dictionery.com/irony

#1 It's dictionary. Not dictionery. If you're going to try and school someone about words and what they mean, try spelling them correctly.
    Just a thought.

#2 This forum is here for people to get help with the game as much as people sharing their opinions.

#3 There are already hundreds of threads with people complaining about the very things you are. Now what's more important? Someone trying to get a question answered or someone reading yet another thread about the same complaints which sends the question threads down off of page 1 more quickly?

#4 Thinking that a game shouldn't have been made because YOU don't like it is arrogant and lacks thought. It's called a mental shortcut. What about all the people that are enjoying it? They don't matter? Plus if you were joking, why can't we poke fun back at you for being simple minded?
    edited June 2009
    The crazy thing (that most ppl are missing here) is that Ive played the game for two days straight.. I AM enjoying it, if I forget that its "The Sims 3" and just think of it as some £19.99 game that Ill play for a while then ditch, yeah its fun.
    TS2 was, IMHO, more than just a game. It was more than other games. TS3 is fun, but its just another game.
  • cheeseyman24cheeseyman24 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    They made it because, it gives people a new thing to buy. And a new chapter the the Sims Series, there's a whole new feel to the Sims 3, then Sims 2. You can tell its similarity but, you can also tell they have there differences. Personally I love Sims 3. Wasn't a big fan of Sims 2.
  • fonzie1015fonzie1015 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    :shock:I have stared at that ugly wallpaper in the Sims 2 a thousand times and wished for it to be true...can I change it....now I can. I love the ablility to make beautiful rooms...just wish I had beautiful Sims in them. The living neighborhood has a pro and a con. First - the PRO: It is alive! I like that! CON: I can only play one house in it! That I don't like. And if I leave the original house everything that I've been playing is gone...because it's living, remember. They're moving on without me. Great. :(
    edited June 2009
    Darmbaggie.. go to bed.
  • FantasyFlightFantasyFlight Posts: 25 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I think the differences between TS1 and TS2 are pretty equal to the differences between TS2 and TS3 when you take away the graphics part. But really, sims doesnt need super real graphics, I think that'd freak me out actually I'd rather have my fake looking people then someone who looked like a real person - cause that's just creepy. In the future, there will be better graphics, of course, but really, if thats all you're playing the sims for, you need a new game.

I feel like TS2 was the version that needed to be created so that they could get to TS3. The aging was a HUGE deal because it allowed you to play one family longer since you weren't stuck with a sim at the top of the career track and a kid in private school. But the wants and fears were terribly annoying on most of the sim types, I only ever played Family and Knowledge because I hated the others, especially romance, are you kidding? woohoo with 5 different sims? it took me long enough just to get to the first 1.

The personality points were fine for awhile but they too got kind of dull and pointless.

But sims 3, the wish system is a huge improvement on the wants and fears, the personalities are way more unique and you have a lot more options. And bonus, when you're teen has a bf and grows up, so does the bf. Life was so short in sims 2, I had to start looking for a wife/husband for my sims when they were a teen, get then talking to an adult, then half the time they weren't romantically compatible and so I still ended trying to get them to start a family before they turned an elder. Seriously, that's just lame

sims 2 is the incomplete version of sims 3, if you want to stick with something unfinished, go to it, but sims 3 was made because it was needed, a lot of people love the new features, I use to HATE having my sim go to lots because of the loading then they'd spend a few hours there get tired and when they got home it was the middle of the afternoon again and they're exhausted - not fun. But now I'm slowly starting to embrace the idea of sending my sim out sometimes, because there is so much other there to discover.