Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Open Letter to SimGurus (Original SimGuru response November 2009 - Updated letter May 2010)

Hello again SimGuru's.

I wrote the first message in this post in November 09. I appreciated the response from SimGuruBrent that came later in the month. However, it's now May 2010, and one of the most serious glitches in WA - one your team has acknowledged since December - is still unaddressed. Still dealt with in the unprofessional silence of developers/managers made quieter by the deafening roar of your marketing teams for the store and for Ambitions. This is what I'm referring to:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/143547.page

"Sims become unrelated to their parents when a family member travels to a World Adventures location."

There have been numerous patches since November and then. The issue was acknowledged in December. There is a FAQ in the inaccurately-named "support" centre that hasn't been updated since December. There has been no fix, despite the fact that this issue has "been noted and implemented into our system for further investigation."

The customer base has a pretty strong interest in asking: Why?

Will a fix be forthcoming with Ambitions? If not, when?

Sincerely, tea_and_blues,
A New Zealand customer/client.

(OP in quote box below)

Hi SimGuru_BGY_11,

I'm not looking to put you on the spot, but I do, as a client, have some concerns over the lack of serious communication we are getting. Over the past week, it has looked increasingly as if you alone are the customer service team for the Sims 3 and WA. I have left questions with the official channel (EA Help and Support) and had no response across a number of days, despite the informal written commitment to reply within 24 hours. Other members, Archivist for one, have had the same experience. I work in a role that is equal parts management and editing, so I have a lot of sympathy for the role you're playing on these forums (and I've no idea what your official role is or how cursory your forums role might be to it). The response we are getting from EA and The Sims 3 team over the hectic and - to be honest - entirely unacceptable launch state of WA really feels, at this point, like an unprofessional policy of silence. As a businessman and a professional, I find it deeply disturbing that a company as large and successful as EA is simply not managing client expectations. The promotional work is very professional, but it means nothing without the more genuine, down-to-earth communications with the active client base.

Can we have some information about the errors that so many of us are encountering? Is another patch on its way soon, one that will make sustained, many-generation gameplay possible for us once more? I doubt it will be here soon, but can you commit to a ETA? If not, simply saying so will go a very long way to restoring confidence. Perhaps these are questions you need to take to your superiors. I hope you are passing the widespread concern of the client base here on to your superiors, it strikes me that the issues this expansion/patch have are so widespread in the community that it warrants serious reassurance from your management team and developers. Perhaps, though, I'm mismeasuring the reaction as it actually is. I do understand that there are more vectors for errors with a game as heavily modded as The Sims 3, but this customer for one is not using any mods or CC (although I'd quite like to) due to the (base and now expansion) game's instabilities as it stands. My computer more than matches the required specs, and I am regularly shutting down unnecessary background processes. The issues, it appears, either lie in the game not being compatible with some mainstream systems (I can post my dxdiag again if you like), or in the code itself. For these reasons alone, I feel justified in calling WA's state 'unacceptable'.

All communication, however unsatisfying it might be for we on the ground trying to make heads or tails of your product, is appreciated over the current lack.

Sincerely,
tea_and_blues

Comments

• tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2009
    Am I to be met with more silence? Even a simple message of dismissal would be appreciated here.
  • mafo1988mafo1988 Posts: 813 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I don't think you will get a response, there are many that have tried this approach, only to recieve nothing. I agree with you though, and I would like some information on the issues many of us are having!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • UrbyKrisUrbyKris Posts: 36 New Member
    edited November 2009
    OMG!

You guys are so anoying!!!

(And I don't mean EA!)
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited November 2009
    Alright give me the microphone again - ahmm.. first this is a public forum not a technical support chat room. When your customers are serving as support personal on a forum demonstrates your preparedness (or lack of it) for the launch of TS3 and WA. These patches and WA has left computers with customers not knowing if it's their computer or the game. Any kind of notice from the back room of EA should be in order. I feel sorry for the employees manning the support lines as they seem to be way under staffed and uninformed. Two or more days to wait for tech support email on a new product I feel is unacceptable. Picture this - you wake up and you find your new basement flooded so you call the plumber. He says he'll be there in 24 hours. 2 days later still no plumber and he won't answer his phone. The problem here is EA customer base that's here is used to Maxis customer support. With all the drm out I still don't know why I have to pay so much for a game. The game still gets hacked and the only users that have problems are the legal ones. Ok I'm winded, I still don't know how to turn the mike off.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • kaloesche68kaloesche68 Posts: 815 Member
    edited November 2009
    LOL bob, thank you. I have seen a few of your microphone posts, and I can tell your trying to keep things light. There's a little switch on the side of the mic, but I'd hate for you to shut up, so I broke it, so just say what you will! And at least for me, I proved it was the patch, or WA, not my comp. So now I can just sit back and annoy people, and wait for a patch.

Ahhh UrbyKris, you cute little two poster wonder, you haven't seen annoying yet. You missed 100+ forum pages full of people's problems and of people way more annoying then us. If your annoyed, here's a tip-stay out of the tech section, especially during patch or EP time.

edited November 2009
    he he, I do love sarcasm.
  • KittysnaxKittysnax Posts: 62
    edited November 2009
    *****7 wrote:
    Alright give me the microphone again - ahmm.. first this is a public forum not a technical support chat room. When your customers are serving as support personal on a forum demonstrates your preparedness (or lack of it) for the launch of TS3 and WA. These patches and WA has left computers with customers not knowing if it's their computer or the game. Any kind of notice from the back room of EA should be in order. I feel sorry for the employees manning the support lines as they seem to be way under staffed and uninformed. Two or more days to wait for tech support email on a new product I feel is unacceptable. Picture this - you wake up and you find your new basement flooded so you call the plumber. He says he'll be there in 24 hours. 2 days later still no plumber and he won't answer his phone. The problem here is EA customer base that's here is used to Maxis customer support. With all the drm out I still don't know why I have to pay so much for a game. The game still gets hacked and the only users that have problems are the legal ones. Ok I'm winded, I still don't know how to turn the mike off.

amen to both you and the OP. /clap

Seriously I had ZERO problems with the hacked version, hence why I dumped the 50$ into the legit version. Guess that wont be happening with any future releases...at this point I dont even think Id take the time to crack them.
  • KittensgomeowKittensgomeow Posts: 105 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Amazing, if the unlegit/hacked versions of The Sims 3 is working better than the legitmate version of The Sims 3, dosen't this tell you something? It says that ********/hackers can make a game that's more efficent than a world-known high-producing multi-million dollar (I believe so, after all the Sims series and the numbers of buyers)company could. That is honestly just...just give up. :?
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited November 2009
    Wow nice speech there tea_and_blues and bob =)
    Hope you will get through.

Hmm I have been wondering, my game haven't had any problems (except for the error 16 which were fixed in the newest patch) Everything works fine and there is no problems, my computer is old but not to old for sims 3. All my stuff is updated and run smoothly.
    I find it odd that so many people have problems with the game, which makes me think back on sims 2 a lot of people had problems there as well, sims 3 is more advance and has higher requirements, I can't help thinking that it might be the people's computers and not the game, but not sure.

Beside sorry to tell you this, but as far as I know EA isn't entitled to make patches or make announcement. I don't think there is a law that a company has to do that (correct me if I am wrong please)
    Mainly it is the "If you do not like the game or service, then don't play/buy/use it"

I am not trying to be mean or rude here, sorry if I offended anyone, I just stated the way I see it.
  • tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2009
    Guys, I appreciate the support, but I don't know that it's helping. If I do get a reply, which looks doubtful, I'd like it to be concise, focused and professional. That can't happen if the thread turns unreasonably bitter.
    Beside sorry to tell you this, but as far as I know EA isn't entitled to make patches or make announcement. I don't think there is a law that a company has to do that (correct me if I am wrong please)

(I think that depends on the laws where the game is sold. WA is in apparent breach of the New Zealand Goods and Services Act, but clicking the EULA on it might void that protection for end-users. Likely, though, it's the other way round, with the EULA not capable of removing the producer's responsibility to their product. I don't know, and because I can't afford a law suit, I don't care. I'm certain EA would settle out of court with any individuals who could afford such a suit at any rate, no good would come of it for the community or the game.)
    edited November 2009
    I tried one of these once, I hope you get a response, good luck.
  • FrekiNGeriFrekiNGeri Posts: 98 Member
    edited November 2009
    Okay, I'm not much on forum posting, so I don't think I fully understand the BUMP I keep seeing in posts. Is it to keep the post near the top of the forum? If so, can we bump this post until BGY responds?

Here's my take on BGY - you do great work! Because of you, I was able to fix my Error Code problem in advance of the patch. I went into the help chat service, and they were really sweet but made me think it was just my problem and one that was caused by WA.

I came to the chat area, and I saw the first true evaluation from you, BGY - it said there was a change in the way the games saved that was put there by a patch EA sent out. As soon as I knew it was a save thing, I was able to track down what was causing my Error Code - plain and simple. Had the help tech chat been honest and told me it was a problem with a patch/changes in the save game method, I could have fixed my problem faster instead of sitting around thinking it was a WA problem.

So... BGY - that spurt of honesty was really appreciated on my part. Now, let me go on to say - EA, bread and circus, very uncool. You send out continual disclaimers that so many of the problems are our faults when really it's yours. Speak honestly and don't keep telling us to clear our browsers, yah-de-da, jump through hoops. Lastly, Sims FANS - when they speak honestly to us, don't keep threatening - whine a little, but let them have time to fix the issues.

K, I'm through ranting... Bump.

LOL, I hope that's what a bump is! :)
  • TeeDgeTeeDge Posts: 11
    edited November 2009
    BUMP; I don't care how old the post is.

Most professional fan thread I've seen concerning the issue; yet, still not one 'professional' response from EA.

They had time to delete my post then warn me for going off-topic (when the post concerned BUGS and why I returned the game)... yet they can't type a simple newsletter saying "We're working on X issues!," "ETA another week," "We (EA) are clueless," or just man up and say what they've been saying silently all along, a simple "**** you customers."

"Lets not admit we have a problem, we'll lose holiday sales!"
  • AvengerAvenger Posts: 980 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I hope you get a response, I emailed EA 6 days ago and have heard nothing.
    edited November 2009
    I have to admit that the lack of response is dissapointing. I will continue to buy the sims games because I really enjoy playing them. But I am beginning to lose respect for EA.
    It really wouldn't hurt to at least acknowledge our questions!
  • FrekiNGeriFrekiNGeri Posts: 98 Member
    edited November 2009
    BUMP - a reply would be nice. Really it would be.
  • KatieGraceKatieGrace Posts: 71 New Member
    edited November 2009
    *bump*

excellent post, OP
  • florida1cowboyflorida1cowboy Posts: 1,403 New Member
    edited November 2009
    mafo1988 wrote:
    I have to admit that the lack of response is dissapointing. I will continue to buy the sims games because I really enjoy playing them. But I am beginning to lose respect for EA.
    It really wouldn't hurt to at least acknowledge our questions!
    What gets me. They will take the time to scan, and delete post from people upset at this mess, or take time to threaten someone, but not take that same time to send a (We are doing this. Sorry for the inconvieniance) message. Whoever is overseeing this forum needs to get a grip. They are here for us. We bought the game. We are not just annoying little freeloaders like on a private server MMORPG game.... :? They featured me the 19th. Thank you EA. That was really cool ^^, but that don't make my game work right, or recover the tons of creations I lost over these patches. Some: "We are sorry, we are doing this.... yada yada yada..." would be nice. :oops:
    edited November 2009
    I like your style florida1cowboy!
    edited November 2009
    lol Well TY TY! ^^ I am usually laid back, but I am gettin a lil gripey after DAYS of bug hades xD I love making stuff, and hate losing it 2 times more! rofl :lol: Sent you an add invite BTW. I got too much time on my hands maybe, but I think you pay good money, you should get good game quality. Besides.. my deceased wife's son used to work for EA, and there are people PAID to test games. They should have tested WA a bit longer. Not let greedy stockholders wanting mo-money :lol::wink: push it out on the shelf for Christmas. :)
  • LajaBlessLajaBless Posts: 40 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Zafireria wrote:
    Wow nice speech there tea_and_blues and bob =)
    Hope you will get through.

Hmm I have been wondering, my game haven't had any problems (except for the error 16 which were fixed in the newest patch) Everything works fine and there is no problems, my computer is old but not to old for sims 3. All my stuff is updated and run smoothly.
    I find it odd that so many people have problems with the game, which makes me think back on sims 2 a lot of people had problems there as well, sims 3 is more advance and has higher requirements, I can't help thinking that it might be the people's computers and not the game, but not sure.

Mainly it is the "If you do not like the game or service, then don't play/buy/use it"

I am not trying to be mean or rude here, sorry if I offended anyone, I just stated the way I see it.

God knows I have a long standing feud with EA because I have to deal with them on a very personal level. I can tell you that if I shared with you what's been said to me then a lot of you would never buy a Sims game ever again. That being said, I still try to buy the games because I'm trying not to force yet more people out of a job. BUT I would say if you're that adamant about your games not working there is only ONE way to get through to a company. Vote with your dollars. Return your game, get your store credit and get something else. This will in fact show EA that you mean business and at least make them open their mouths. My game has been running ok so far, and I'm scared that it'll stop at some point, my heart goes out to all of you who's games aren't working. And at this rate I still haven't gotten a response back from my free car and strategy guide I was supposed to get at launch...so what does THAT tell ya.

I'd say start a protest thread saying very kindly that if we don't at least hear SOMETHING for the good or bad, we will not be buying another expansion or anything for the store and will be returning the games for store credit (if you didn't do direct download that is..and even then there are some forms or recourse. Man I'm so gonna be banned for starting a riot, lol. If you are suddenly unable to reach me, find me at lajab--(internet connection suddenly dropped, muffled screams heard as she's dragged away)
    edited November 2009
    LOL I know what you mean! I've gotten gripey also, and said things to people I would usually never say. I realized I was just trying to make someone in WA side of the forum mad, just because, LOL. And I agree, you should at least end up with a game that works!

And I accept your friend invite with pleasure!

Kendra
  • LajaBlessLajaBless Posts: 40 New Member
    edited November 2009
    lol Well TY TY! ^^ I am usually laid back, but I am gettin a lil gripey after DAYS of bug hades xD I love making stuff, and hate losing it 2 times more! rofl :lol: Sent you an add invite BTW. I got too much time on my hands maybe, but I think you pay good money, you should get good game quality. Besides.. my deceased wife's son used to work for EA, and there are people PAID to test games. They should have tested WA a bit longer. Not let greedy stockholders wanting mo-money :lol::wink: push it out on the shelf for Christmas. :)

Hey hey now!! I'm a stock holder and I've never rushed them to release anything. Don't blame us stock holders. But now that you mention it, I do believe I got an email about voting for someone for something or other at EA..I think I'll take a look at that again. Perhaps some folk need fire'n over there.
    edited November 2009
    Ok, I stand corrected. "greedy stockholders, and sales, but not ALL stockholders. lol me sowwies :lol: :oops: :wink:
    edited November 2009
    LOL I know what you mean! I've gotten gripey also, and said things to people I would usually never say. I realized I was just trying to make someone in WA side of the forum mad, just because, LOL. And I agree, you should at least end up with a game that works!

And I accept your friend invite with pleasure!

Kendra
    Thank you for add, and I FEEL YAH ON THAT!! lol I think I just needed to vent. I am so frustrated with my game at moment I just piddle in a town I basically rebuilt, and add/destroy stuff. I am not even playing the adventures anymore. I seriously might do it same as my laptop, and delete it all, dump the expansion, and repatch to 1.4.6, so I can MOD, and have fun again. :P lol Anyways.. I am sorry I been getting mad, and nice to meet everyone. ^^ SIM hugs to all. :wink::)