Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• EliteArchitectEliteArchitect Posts: 101
    edited February 2013

I would love to see a little colour. You have chosen some colourful paintings. Possibly you could take one of the colours from the paintings and continue it in a couple of other objects in the room. Example: In the kitchen you have a pink and purple painting, so you could maybe put a pink or purple vase with flowers in the corner of the kitchen counter.

I would also like to see window coverings. You could also make these colourful.

You can see from these two pictures what I . They don't have to be fancy curtains. You can see also, in these pictures, how I have used a pop of colour in the rooms.

scree683.jpg

scree688.jpg

On another note, I suggest that you play test everything in your builds as you go. You can place a tester Sim on your lot. Just place them in a corner in a chair. Then they are ready to test whatever you need testing as you go along. I notice the bed and would like you to test that. With those two tables at the foot of the bed, be sure the bed is usable. Being in live mode will also make picture taking easier.

I love the architecture of the build. The brick has a pink tone to it and the solid colour has more of a yellow tone. Maybe you could work the colours a bit to get them in the same area.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

I see what you mean about the colors and i think that would definitely help out the boring interiors. I'll admit it in not very strong with interiors but I'm much better with landscaping and architecture.

Yeah i was probably going to play test it once i get more of the house done.

I'll try and fix these couple of things this weekend and I'll post some more pictures! Thanks MerryWidow
  • benboy200benboy200 Posts: 220
    edited February 2013
    benboy200 wrote:
    Which pages have tutorials on them? :?:
    And imagine how many more things we could build with an open for business like expansion pack.

Tutorials are linked on the first page, 3rd post. I would love an OFB EP. With the EP after University, I hear we are getting hotels. I wonder if that will be like OFB.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Edit:
    Hi everyone. Here is the link to the next page until the forum catches up with us.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/9825/121128.page
    So sign the petition if you click on my signature you will go to the petition page and
    then you just have to post sign and then you are signed up for the petition. That is how you would support an OFB type EP
  • MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited February 2013

I see what you mean about the colors and i think that would definitely help out the boring interiors. I'll admit it in not very strong with interiors but I'm much better with landscaping and architecture.

Yeah i was probably going to play test it once i get more of the house done.

I'll try and fix these couple of things this weekend and I'll post some more pictures! Thanks MerryWidow

You are welcome. Looking forward to it.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited February 2013
    Anyone know the solution to this problem?

I have a finished house and when I go to upload it from the launcher it shows that it has uploaded but does not show up in my studio or on my exchange.

Please help. Thanks guys
    edited February 2013
    Anyone know the solution to this problem?

I have a finished house and when I go to upload it from the launcher it shows that it has uploaded but does not show up in my studio or on my exchange.

Please help. Thanks guys

I have had this happen. When it happened to me, I had some patterns in the build that I had created in Create a Pattern. When I removed the patterns and replaced them with EA patterns, it uploaded and showed in my studio no problem. I also had the problem trying to upload a couple of CAP patterns.

Others have had this problem too. If you don't have any CAP patterns in the build then I'm thinking it is an EA problem. Maybe you could check in the tech section of the forum. I'm sure others have posted there. I have heard of some who have just kept trying every day until it finally succeeded.

Suggestions
    Clean your browser cache.
    Check your upload in custard.
    Go back into game and re-export with a slightly different name.

Have fun! (At least try to.)

MerryWiddow
    edited February 2013
    Hey Merry,

It took me a while but I finally figured it out. I had a measly piece of custom content int he home I forgot to remove and after I removed it it uploaded easily. Stupid me.

Anyways here is the finished product that I am so proud of!

Cover-Large_zps1b4144fb.jpg

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6968309

Thanks for your help Merry
    edited February 2013
    Hey Merry,

It took me a while but I finally figured it out. I had a measly piece of custom content int he home I forgot to remove and after I removed it it uploaded easily. Stupid me.

Anyways here is the finished product that I am so proud of!

Cover-Large_zps1b4144fb.jpg

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6968309

Thanks for your help Merry

That's wonderful. Rec'd. Your link doesn't work if you put the bold coding around it. I've changed it in this post.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • EkoponnyEkoponny Posts: 22
    edited February 2013
    Edit: Problem solved.
    Hi, a couple of days ago I posted in the general forum about a problem I'm having with a house I'm making. Now I'm wondering if anyone in here might be abel to help me.

I'll just copy/patse my first entry.
    Yesterday I decided that I was gonna attempt to build a house that's been floating around in my head for some time now, but I've hit a bit of a snag.

It's a openspaced bachelor pad and I want to use the stage platform as a sort of room divider. The problem is that I can't place it over all the area that I want to.

I keep getting a message that says 'can't even terrain' and nothing I've tried makes it work.

This is what it looks like: http://fav.me/d5vt275

When I tried to add more in front it looks like this: http://fav.me/d5vt2bv

Suddenly I could add a piece in th corner, like this: http://fav.me/d5vt2e1 not sure how that happend.

When I decided to expand the bathroom, I could suddenly fill in a piece next to the bathroomwall: http://fav.me/d5vt2go

And now I'm stuck, I keept getting the message even after flattning the lot, after trying to remove the walls. I even tried 'placefrizes' and it didn't work.

So, can you help me?

I have no mods/cc and it's patched up till 1:48.

And here is the link to it. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/649165.page

Idéas anyone?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited February 2013
    So glad you solved the problem Ekoponny.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hi all I'm new to the Sim 3, yes a late bloomer,started playing March 2012, it's almost been a year, my daughter got me hooked on the Sim's 3 xbox game, building, I hated the Fire Bar, then my niece told me about the computer version, and I fell in love all over again. I've been building some so I'm semi new to it, reading all the forums on building, that I can find and I come across this one.. I built a Cabin Lin-Bella, I just up-loaded it to the exchange, and it so far has been my best one, I thought, but it has not gotten very many downloads, I'm not sure if it was the build or the Sim's 3 page being messed up, that no one really got to see it!! I thought I may up-load it here and let you all take a look see at it, and let me no what you all think.

Lin-Bella, No CC
    549371_257833977684617_898271282_n.jpg

Download link here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7029058

More Picture's Link Here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/90/623952.page#10333116
    edited February 2013
    BreeMiles wrote:
    Hi all I'm new to the Sim 3, yes a late bloomer,started playing March 2012, it's almost been a year, my daughter got me hooked on the Sim's 3 xbox game, building, I hated the Fire Bar, then my niece told me about the computer version, and I fell in love all over again. I've been building some so I'm semi new to it, reading all the forums on building, that I can find and I come across this one.. I built a Cabin Lin-Bella, I just up-loaded it to the exchange, and it so far has been my best one, I thought, but it has not gotten very many downloads, I'm not sure if it was the build or the Sim's 3 page being messed up, that no one really got to see it!! I thought I may up-load it here and let you all take a look see at it, and let me no what you all think.

Lin-Bella, No CC
    549371_257833977684617_898271282_n.jpg

Download link here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7029058

More Picture's Link Here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/90/623952.page#10333116

Hello and welcome BreeMiles. I'll start with your cover shot. I'm glad you changed it, but I notice it looks a little squished. Try squaring the picture before you add it to the UIC program. Also the title and your name on the picture do not stand out. Try experimenting with other colours too. You can change the size of the picture temporarily to 250 x 250 just so you can see what it will look like on the exchange. The rest of the pictures also look squished.

Kudos for getting the knives in the kitchen the right way around. A note for future reference, the paintings that your Sims create do not transfer with the house IF you frame them. If you leave them unframed they will transfer. This will add a lot of new options for decorating. You interiors look lovely. You have used very nice colours that give a homey feel.

Your terrain painting and landscaping is very well done. When taking pictures of the interior, try to avoid the distortion. Also suggest you try for a little less ceiling. It is better to take more pictures than to try and fit it all into one picture. The distortion makes it difficult for viewers to judge size. I like your use of MOO (moveObjects on). The house does look lived in, but I like to stress that you play test everything. I have created a check list that I use whenever I build (link below).

Note on your link to more pictures; when I clicked it, I was told that they were unavailable. Possibly it is a setting and only friends can see it.

As for advertising to get more downloads, you might try one or all of the following.

Join a few Sims fan sites that focus on building among other things and promote your build there. We do at TS3CC II, link in my siggy. At TS3CC II if you post your build in the WIP stage, we will also offer up suggestions if requested and sometimes even if not requested.

As your picture link leads to Facebook you probably already advertise there. Not sure of your friend base, but the more the merrier.

You might consider starting a blog. There are many out there. I use WordPress. With WordPress I can set it to immediately post to Facebook and Twitter.

I hope this helps and as promised here is the link.
    A Builder's Checklist

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited February 2013
    Thank you very much Merry, love the input it helps me a lot!!! Now on the thing with the link to more pictures, you said it just goes to unavailable, how would I change that ,so everyone see's it and not just my friends.. I didn't even no it was doing that!! I'm so sorry for all the questions I'm new for sure its took me for ever to learn how to use the forum pages. I just learned how to send the link straight to my post a few weeks ago!!! Any Help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank You for the list, you have compiled a lot of good stuff in it....

Since I've never heard of Word press, which one would I use? I googled it and there seems to be a bunch of them!! again sorry for the million questions!!! I'm not very computer savy .. I found this one here it says it's free, it's called,: WordPress › Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS
    wordpress.org/
    edited February 2013
    BreeMiles wrote:
    Thank you very much Merry, love the input it helps me a lot!!! Now on the thing with the link to more pictures, you said it just goes to unavailable, how would I change that ,so everyone see's it and not just my friends.. I didn't even no it was doing that!! I'm so sorry for all the questions I'm new for sure its took me for ever to learn how to use the forum pages. I just learned how to send the link straight to my post a few weeks ago!!! Any Help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank You for the list, you have compiled a lot of good stuff in it....

Since I've never heard of Word press, which one would I use? I googled it and there seems to be a bunch of them!! again sorry for the million questions!!! I'm not very computer savy .. I found this one here it says it's free, it's called,: WordPress › Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS
    wordpress.org/

My blog is http://merrywiddow.wordpress.com/. There is an option there to start a blog. You have to scroll right down to the bottom. It says 'Blog at Wordpress.com'. Hope that helps.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited February 2013
    Hi everyone.

Until the next page chooses to show up, use this link.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/9840/121128.page

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited February 2013
    Welcome to page 657.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited February 2013
    Thank you again Merry.. I did register to Creators' Consortium II. I hope I can lean the forum, I did manage to up-load a avatar picture....
    edited February 2013
    BreeMiles wrote:
    Thank you again Merry.. I did register to Creators' Consortium II. I hope I can lean the forum, I did manage to up-load a avatar picture....

Great Bree, I saw you there.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • kitkat9913kitkat9913 Posts: 151 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I see that nobody has posted on this forum in a while.... Is it still active? I was thinking about posting pics of a house I built a while back.
    edited April 2013
    kitkat9913 wrote:
    I see that nobody has posted on this forum in a while.... Is it still active? I was thinking about posting pics of a house I built a while back.

Sorta active. I would love to see your pictures. I do spend most of my time on the more active TS3 Creators' Consortium II (link in my siggy.) If you prefer to stay on the Sims 3 official site, you can also post on Fidlerten's Workshop thread. I also comment and give feedback there when I can.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/279465.page

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • kitkat9913kitkat9913 Posts: 151 New Member
    edited April 2013
    I was also wondering if you could give me a link to any Late Night Clubs that you have that ARE NOT skyscrapers.( Dive Bar, Sports Bar, Local Watering Hole, Dance Club, Poolside Club, Disco Club, Exclusive Lounge, Vampire Lounge, Fusion Lounge.) Skyscrapers take eternity and a day to load in my game and I hate the elevators.
    edited April 2013
    kitkat9913 wrote:
    I was also wondering if you could give me a link to any Late Night Clubs that you have that ARE NOT skyscrapers.( Dive Bar, Sports Bar, Local Watering Hole, Dance Club, Poolside Club, Disco Club, Exclusive Lounge, Vampire Lounge, Fusion Lounge.) Skyscrapers take eternity and a day to load in my game and I hate the elevators.

You will find some here.

http://ts3cc.forumotion.ca/t917-night-life-club-lots

There is also one in my studio called Charlie's Roadhouse.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    edited April 2013
    Double post.

MW

• N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm so glad I found this thread...it lead me to the Sims 3 Creator's Consortium II; which I love! :thumbup:
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • vicaddictvicaddict Posts: 340 Member
    edited April 2013
    I hope this thread is still active as I need some suggestions.

Quite frankly, I haven't built anything yet, so I can't show you my progress. I was trying to build this house. I found it on one of the featured websites for suggestions.

th_941886763_01_house_122_564lo.jpg th_941888514_02_house_122_589lo.jpg th_941890827_03_house_back_122_702lo.jpg

As you can see the house features curved walls and I know that there aren't solutions to recreate that with The Sim 3. However, I was looking to get some input on how I can still build it. Using an octagon for a room would be my guess, however that seems only to work when using it on small rooms or towers. Since I was planning to build on a 64x64 lot (I want to have room for horses and make the house a luxury mansion), I would need to build much bigger towers.

Any ideas on how to achieve that? I tried using those curved castle columns, but I can't figure out how to use them properly.
    edited April 2013
    vicaddict wrote:
    I hope this thread is still active as I need some suggestions.

Quite frankly, I haven't built anything yet, so I can't show you my progress. I was trying to build this house. I found it on one of the featured websites for suggestions.

th_941886763_01_house_122_564lo.jpg th_941888514_02_house_122_589lo.jpg th_941890827_03_house_back_122_702lo.jpg

As you can see the house features curved walls and I know that there aren't solutions to recreate that with The Sim 3. However, I was looking to get some input on how I can still build it. Using an octagon for a room would be my guess, however that seems only to work when using it on small rooms or towers. Since I was planning to build on a 64x64 lot (I want to have room for horses and make the house a luxury mansion), I would need to build much bigger towers.

Any ideas on how to achieve that? I tried using those curved castle columns, but I can't figure out how to use them properly.

Hi vicaddict. Welcome. As you say, curved walls are not possible in Sims 3, however, the curved roof line is with the use of CFE. This is an advanced procedure using a cheat. I'm going to give you a series of links on TS3 Creators' Consortium II that will give you the basics of using CFE.

There is a Learn to Build section on TS3CC II, the second stage of which is CFE related. Here is the tutorial related to that.
    CFE Tutorial for the Learn to Build Second Stage

Here is a more generalized tutorial.
    CFE Tutorial

Another CFE tutorial.
    CFE arches tutorial by CaliforniaBound

You might find this thread has some useful information too.
    CFE Question

I hope all of this helps. The build moderator on TS3CC II, Dini, is very talented with CFE. A number of our other members are also. Feel free to join and ask any questions you wish in the Question thread I posted above. Good luck with this build, it looks awesome.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top