Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Sims 3 smoother on steam?

So I have Sims 3 and all EPs install from EA app but I see many people saying sims 3 runs faster on steam but switching and buying packs on steam and re downloading store content seems a hassle

If the only difference is the launcher and steam launch it faster without DRM but the performance in the game is the same then I don't mind it

I only want to know if during gameplay the performance is the same or steam seems more faster and stable (again inside the game not launching)

Comments

• Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,439 Member
    edited June 10
    I noticed your question this morning, and since I'm not sure who is hanging around here to reply so close to when the forum will shut down, I thought I'd try to answer even though I don't have firsthand experience with it (yet). A lot of people who did transfer to Steam said their games run more smoothly on that platform. Anything more specific than that, I can no longer recall, but I thought it was more than just a help with launching. Maybe I'll find out someday. I have over time purchased all the Sims 3 packs whenever on sale on Steam to have "when needed," but since I haven't had troubles with my Origin install - err, maybe I should call it EA app now - it's still just a back-up plan. My computer is going to have to be replaced in the next couple years at best, so perhaps that's when I'll take the plunge with Steam.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,335 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    I noticed your question this morning, and since I'm not sure who is hanging around here to reply so close to when the forum will shut down, I thought I'd try to answer even though I don't have firsthand experience with it (yet). A lot of people who did transfer to Steam said their games run more smoothly on that platform. Anything more specific than that, I can no longer recall, but I thought it was more than just a help with launching. Maybe I'll find out someday. I have over time purchased all the Sims 3 packs whenever on sale on Steam to have "when needed," but since I haven't had troubles with my Origin install - err, maybe I should call it EA app now - it's still just a back-up plan. My computer is going to have to be replaced in the next couple years at best, so perhaps that's when I'll take the plunge with Steam.

Yeah it's sad this fourm will close soon and most sims 3 players probably won't move to new EA one

I just wanted to know if there's like many say its more stable and have fewer crashes on steam ?

Bcus the game files are the same I don't get it so they should be more clear if its just launching the game or in game performance

I'll probably buy some of steam EPs I haven't bought there since I bought there some packs but the problem is reinstalling everywhere and remove EA app install from registery..etc

That's the hard part, I just want to know if it's worth it
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 820 Member
    When I was still on Windows, Sims 3 played better in the EA app for me. Maybe I was just more familiar with the EA app from using it to play Sims 4, and I knew better how to handle the settings. My experience was the opposite of what you are hearing from people. Maybe they are more experienced with the Steam app and therefore play Sims smoother in the app that they are more familiar with.
  • Options
    rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,276 Member
    Yeah the sims 3 is just a quirky buggy game, platform independent :D
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited June 10
    I have a newer computer and I use the EA app. All my graphics in game are maxed. I have no problems with the launcher it runs fast and loads quickly. My game runs smoothly and a little two fast. The world I am playing is large and heavily populated, Bridgeport. I can see all the little sims running around constantly from world view. They look like little ants flying about running and driving around the city. My game is running like liquid and I almost want to slow it down.

Edit: it takes a sim less than 10 seconds to drive from Bridgeport's waterfront to the furthest park up and over the hill.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 588 Member
    I can’t comment on Steam as I don’t have any experience of it, but I play through the EA App and it runs absolutely fine for me. I’m on a 6-year-old Mac and have all packs except 2-3 stuff packs, plus I have all store worlds and some other store content. I have graphics settings mostly quite low, though. Also I have a whole load of NRAAS mods to help keep the game running smoothly. I’ve spent quite a long time in the past tweaking graphics settings and playing with the mod options to get the best performance, and I’m really pleased with how I have it now. It hardly ever crashes and runs very smoothly.
  • Options
    emilyofspielburgemilyofspielburg Posts: 52 Member
    How often do the EP go on sale on Steam? There are many EPs I still want to play.
    Formerly The Master Thief of Riverview, currently a ghost. Beloved wife of world renowned surgeon Dr. Jebediah Wilson, mother to Caroline and Brady. My descendants know how to creep because of me. | Trash to Treasure Gameplay

https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=embuggy
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 272 Member
    I don't see why the platform the game is launched from would have any effect on its performance.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,335 Member
    MiataPlay wrote: »
    I have a newer computer and I use the EA app. All my graphics in game are maxed. I have no problems with the launcher it runs fast and loads quickly. My game runs smoothly and a little two fast. The world I am playing is large and heavily populated, Bridgeport. I can see all the little sims running around constantly from world view. They look like little ants flying about running and driving around the city. My game is running like liquid and I almost want to slow it down.

Edit: it takes a sim less than 10 seconds to drive from Bridgeport's waterfront to the furthest park up and over the hill.

Would you mind telling me what's your pc specs are? I mean even on gaming pc with all tweaking and Nras mods the game runs way faster and stable than before but not as fast as you're describing 😅 lol

At least specially not in bridgeport..that world is the laggiest after isla paradiso world (am I right?)
  • Options
    edited June 13
    I think it's the amount of RAM that my newer gaming computer has along with a decent graphic card. Everything is smooth and fast in Bridgeport. I didn't have enough memory on my older PC so the game lagged a lot.

Edit: I have 13 NRAAS mods in game including NRAAS story progression and overwatch. All my background processes are running in Taskmanger. No issues with lagg it's very much the opposite. When in game my CPU jumps between 3-11% and my Memory starts out at 32% and jumps to 46-48% after playing for an hour.
    Post edited by MiataPlay on
  • Options
    edited June 13
    @graventhe IP runs amazing too on my new gaming PC. All the EA world's run amazing on my gaming PC, which was made 15 years after sims 3 came out. No one should have any issues playing an old game on a brand new gaming PC especially if you paid 3k or more. I own every world but 2 and have 50% of the store along with over 4000 cc packages in my mods and almost 2000 in launcher (backed up). My sims 4 game is also installed on my EA app. I own 11 kits and and 13 packs. My Omen gaming computer has no issues it dose get a little warm sometimes but maintains. I'm upgrading my PC with even more memory when sims 5 comes out. :p
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,580 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    So I have Sims 3 and all EPs install from EA app but I see many people saying sims 3 runs faster on steam but switching and buying packs on steam and re downloading store content seems a hassle

If the only difference is the launcher and steam launch it faster without DRM but the performance in the game is the same then I don't mind it

I only want to know if during gameplay the performance is the same or steam seems more faster and stable (again inside the game not launching)

Something to consider when using Steam is they are OS restictive. If one is running an older OS, anything lower than Win10, regardless of how forwarding or new their hardware is, Steam will never be your friend. I play from hardcopies on a pre-WIN10 OS and have no issues with my game being slow or lagging...except between 0500 and 0600. For some reason the game does a hiccough stall for a moment during the time when the game turn over the new day.
    My experience with Steam, many years of playing both online and single-player, if you have a slow computer, steam won't make it play better.