Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If you were to run Maxis...?

JALJAL Posts: 1,081 Member
edited May 5 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I am sure I am not the only one sometimes dreaming about what I would change/do/add if I got to run Maxis for a year or two. So below you see the things I would do, but what would you do?

What I would do if I ran Maxis... (be warned these are very, very long lists)
Smaller updates:
  • Hire Carl to fix Dine out (a refresh) and MWS (bug-fixes)
  • Prioritize bug-fixes over new content, having one team work with the easy bugs to sort out as many as possible fast while having a more experienced team working on the more serious ones.
  • Go over all packs, to make sure cross-pack combability is improved all over.
  • Starting adding free updates to packs as well as base game, so that those who paid for content see that its worth while.
  • Remove the shopping cart
  • Move certain vital functions from packs to base game while simultaneously adding more things into those packs to compensate those who paid for them (for example making Seasons a fully dedicated holiday pack while adding weather and seasons into base game - toggable on and off for those who do not want it)
  • Go over all objects, especially lighting, to see which ones ought to be "off the grid"-compatible and which shouldn't so that it makes more sense.
  • Go over the "off the grid"-settings to be more true to reality.
  • Go over all venue-types and move objects from 'required' to 'recommended', so it's up to the players what they want in a venue while simultaneously making sure items such as bars, espressobars, vendor stalls and restaurant items work in many different types of venues.
  • Adding the option to edit venue functions from bb, and set things like target audience (ages, genders, income brackets, occult status, careers...) - so you can create a rec-center just for teens, a lounge just for the wealthy, or a bar only for vampires). You should also be able to add opening hours to venues from here.
  • Add multipurpose lots where you can combine any type of lot
  • Add a movie-theatre venue type to Movie hangout
  • Add a bowling alley venue type to Bowling night
  • Make bowling more interactive, with simmers reacting to other sims bowling
  • Add a ticket office item to base game, one in the wall version and a counter version, that can be placed in any venue to make it cost money to go in. Uniform of NPC employees, price and whether or not you can play membership fees for a longer period of time can be set in bb-mode or live mode if you own the venue.
  • Add more milestones to Growing together to reflect both good and bad events in a sims life (losing a parent/sibling/loved one; maxing a skill; first time on a horse; starting your own business; fulfilling a resolution for the first time...)
  • Adding more possible resolutions to seasons, many cross pack compatible
  • Make all careers that aren't active semi-active with work from home options
  • Add a 'work place' venue type or lot trait where all sims (including NPCs) will be directed to do their work-from home activities (so business sims will make business calls, talk about investments and fill in reports, gardeners will do gardening, trend-setters give fashion advice or write their blogs...)
  • Using Better build-buy as a base for improving build mode.
  • Adding spiral staircases
  • Making it possible to add railing to just one side of a staircase, and making sure no railing or part of staircase stick out visibly through walls.
  • Adding rounded walls for pools
  • Allowing staircases and platforms in pools to make pools of different depths where children, toddlers and kids can play in shallow pools.
  • Adding a platform that can work like the triangular ceiling, creating ramps instead of staircases or different heights of the flooring in pools (a shallow and a deep end)
  • Add a late-adult lifestage where a sim gets wrinkles, graying hair, the midlife crises from growing together (moved from adult to late adult) and can no longer have kids.
  • Add functionality to glasses and hearing aids so that some sims actually need them.
  • Making glasses, hearing aid and make up stick for career outfits.
  • Make it easier to edit the career outfits, including the career outfits of NPCs (such as maid or butler).
  • Fix the butler so that they are less annoying (for instance set a schedule for when they wake up or perform certain tasks, being able to direct them to do specific tasks such as clean that one dirty sink (not just dirty objects in general), cook a particular meal (not just whatever you feel like), do laundry, run errands like grocery shopping)
  • A return of newspapers, landline and burglars (the last toggable on and off).

Bigger updates:

Children:
I would give children a major overhaul to make them more like children, such as:
  • Add more interactive games (play fetch, hide and seek, cops and robbers)
  • Add more teaching interactions for things like fishing, cross-stitching, gardening... inspired by the teaching interactions in nifty knitting which are brilliantly hands on.
  • Make school and homework build skills
  • Go over objects that children can't use in game today but use regularly in real life, like the ping-pong table
  • Make children less neat and tidy, like not washing the dishes after dinner unless told to do so and not using the hamper unless instructed (children with high responsibility, manners or the neat trait could be exempt from this)
  • Make parenting interaction interruptive, so that a parent can interrupt unwanted behaviour by disciplining or redirecting a child's attention. (For instance stop them while they make a mess, instead of having to wait with disciplining them until they are finished making a mess, or being able to tell them to do their homework even if the child is having a conversation with someone).
  • Go over phases so they are more appropriate to the age of the child (so the bear-phase doesn't happen two days before the kid ages up to a teenager)
  • Make a playground bb-kit where you have more playground equipment that you can combine yourself to make different types of playgrounds (ropes, towers, things to climb, swings, slides). Make these functional in water too to make functional water playgrounds in shallow water or fountains to create children's pools (with a base game update that any sim can walk into a fountain and play in it, and infants and up can play in them the same way they can in shallow water)
  • Add rocking horses for toddlers and children to Horse Ranch.
  • Add a climbable tree in Outdoor retreat.
  • Add a play kitchen in Dine Out, a play cash register in Get to work, a play vet set in Cats and Dogs...

Toggles and Settings:
Adding toggles and settings for many more things in game, making the game a players' experience rather than the maker's experience. Examples:
  • Toggles for all occults, on, off or limited to a specific world or lot type.
  • A slider for each occult from harmless to lethal, letting players decide how frequent and deadly any occult attacks might be.
  • Settings for how expensive things can be as well as how much money you make, to let players decide how easy or hard the game should be financially.
  • Settings for how much consequences bad behaviour and/or traits have in game, to let players decide how difficult the game should be when it comes to things such as social relations (being mean to someone would have real consequences), job (slacking off at work would actually risk you being fired, slacking off in school would mean someone calls your parents who can then disciplin you when you get home).
  • Settings for NPC-creation directing who, how and how many NPCs are created, from 'just the absolutely necessary ones' to what we have today. Also adding settings for how many percent are male, female, trans, pansexual, gay, age groups... so that if I want to create a world where everyone are teenagers or aliens then I can.
  • A toggle for the mobile phone to turn it off entirely and force sims to use newspaper and landline instead.

CAS:
  • Adding a filter to filter out CC for when you do not want to use it.
  • Adding the option of removing all CC from a sim with one click.
  • Adding the option of adding an outfit to styled outfits to create your own.
  • Adding the option to copy outfits, make-up, accessories or hairstyles between categories of clothing.
  • Adding a category for outdoor clothing with individual outfits for - rain, snow, and generally cool/cold weather (separate from warm weather clothing which can be worn indoors)
  • Adding the option of setting career, career-level, skills and education history in CAS (depending on age, so an elderly sim can be retired from level seven of the chef-career already from start, an adult can be done with their biology degree, and a teen a D-student if I choose it).
  • Adding days to a lifespan so that I decide how far apart two children are for example.
  • Expanding likes and dislikes to include more activities such as reading for instance.
  • Adding attraction to likes and dislikes (attracted to red hair, unattracted by blue eyes)
  • Adding the option to hide objects or styled outfits from CAS. Hidden objects should never be randomly used on NPCs. An easy way to see hidden objects and unhiding them should also be available.
  • Adding the option of blocking CAS items from age-group, occults, or fashion choices (these items will then be automatically cleaned when a sim ages up and replaced by something that is allowed).
  • Making it possible for the player to decide if they want to see two, three or four columns in CAS.

Kits:
  • CAS-kits for each decade of the 19th and 20th century as well as older history (medieval, tudor-era, 18th century...)
  • Adding BB-kits to match the different historical kits
  • The playground kit mentioned earlier
  • A dressy coats/jacket kit
  • A well dressed man kit (dark well fitted jeans, suits, suit jackets, jackets, shoes, sweaters...)
  • A fully covered, well-dressed woman kit (longer skirts, no crop-top, tops that are tucked in...)

Packs:
  • Hotel EP
  • Band GP
  • Fashion designer SP (with new shopping items to improve shopping as well as making clothes, well integrated with GTW and the trend-setter career)
  • Fairy GP
  • Water park SP

Careers:
  • Figure skater career (seasons)
  • Veterinarian career (cats and dogs, functional in horse ranch and cottage living as well)
  • Nanny career (base game)
  • Dog walker career (cats and dogs)
  • Librarian (base game)
  • Museum Curator (base game)
  • Fireman (base game)
  • Social worker (base game)
  • High school teacher (active career, high school year)
Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
Post edited by JAL on

Comments

• Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,589 Member
    You've got the job. 👍😉
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,025 Member
    edited May 5
    I do like your list. Plus you include other life stages and revisiting previous packs. I also like the figure skating as a career, that would be great! 👍

All games have bugs but they shouldn’t be game breaking and new content is obviously not tested with all packs.
    Initial tests should be base game only but after a week or two, when EA Creators get first access to play, it should be with everything.

My suggestion;
    Why not utilitise the EA Creator Network as quality testers? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️
    Looking at resource management.

So pack developers and any EA Creator Network member who collab/made lots for pack etc get the floating name watermark on a special version (Base game and new pack). They spot the bugs within the base game and pack.
    Other EA Creator Network members who get early access, have the first test version which has been tweaked and they now spot the bugs between all packs.
    Everyone gets the second version that’s been fixed with bugs found. Then patches would hopefully be less frequent.

Would that be worth a try? 🤔

One thing I would like to discuss is this point;
    Prioritize bug-fixes over new content, having one team work with the easy bugs to sort out as many as possible fast while having a more experienced team working on the more serious ones.

Do you mean EA don’t have experienced teams available? That would be surprising to me. Surely the team that made the pack should be able to fix it?! Whether the bug is simple or not. They should have at least the skills to identify what’s wrong. If not, why not?

I mean at college if I submitted a bad essay, I had to redo it. I couldn’t say, ‘sorry I have moved on from that please get another student!’ 😂

Personally I don’t think teams should be moved on from a pack until at least there’s been two waves of testing.
    Moving onto the next thing straight away must change.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited May 5
    @83bienchen Thank you! Now if you were the one hiring we'd get the show on the road :)

@ncisGibbs02 Oh I forgot "add a late-adult lifestage where a sim gets wrinkles, midlife crises (moved from adult) and can no longer have kids". *Runs to edit*

And no, I didn't mean that EA don't have experienced teams, but more that I would let some of the most experienced team-members focus on the harder ones, while less experienced teams could work on the easy to fix ones so we gets lots of easy bug fixes. That way, those who know most can really get the time they need to figure out the ones that would cause any programmer a head ache. Maybe that is how it's run today, I don't know, but in todays world of performance, performance, performance, it's a rare thing to give someone real time to focus long term on something.

I also really like your idea of various stages of testing to make sure DLC isn't released until it works properly.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,491 Member
    If I were to run Maxis…

…the occult players would absolutely LOVE ME! 😇🖤
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited May 5
    I would add options for public transport in the sims. Click on tram, boat, train, fake bus stop and get the option to travel somewhere. I would also add a real fast food stand in Magnolia Promenade in the place where is one drawn on the wall. But it should be open at night also.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,353 Member
    edited May 5
    When I will manage Maxis ... the game will be renamed The Males :p

The Sims 4 would be focused on sports and masculine clothing.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    When I will lead Maxis ... the game will be renamed The Males :p

With all male characters gameplay is bound to stay at first generation only. 🤣
  • Options
    When I will manage Maxis ... the game will be renamed The Males :pensive:

And here we have LeGardePourpre - Initiator of Riots. 😅

• Options
    @crocobaura

You forget Alien Abduction and Male Pregnancy :p

In all my years of playing sims I've had exactly one sim abducted and she was female. I don't think the aliens are reliable enough with this task. 🤣
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,051 Member
    edited May 5
    I know you did not aim for realistic answers but man if I ran Maxis for a year it would be so bad I can't even run myself for watchers sake

I'd probably make bunch of bad business decisions and end up bankrupting the company which uh cannot make game better I am afraid
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I know you did not aim for realistic answers but man if I ran Maxis for a year it would be so bad I can't even run myself for watchers sake

I'd probably make bunch of bad business decisions and end up bankrupting the company which uh cannot make game better I am afraid

Your honesty is appreciated.
    My word of advice: don’t ever put that in your cover letter. Just wing it like everyone else. 😉

• Options
    edited May 5
    @Simmingal

I agree , it would be the same thing with me. The Sims is almost an impossible mission.
    Because what I want isn't exactly what everybody wants.

Too many different people to satisfy, too much content to do, too many bugs to fix, ... too much of everything, it's clearly overwhelming.

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,739 Member
    My opinions are a bit controversial maybe, but here we go...

Studios
    I want more people and studios in charge of the sims, Maxis have expanded their studios to Europe and we saw what they could do with the packs that they made like Home Chef Hustle. I think they need to expand more. Maxis seems to have a history with troubled development, life simulators are not easy to make but maybe more people that have experience with game development could help. People like Vince Zampella, the CEO for Respawn for example who have a lot of experience with leading projects and video game development (their studio is also pretty close to Maxis HQ).

QA/Bug fixes

I would assign more resources into QA, give the developers more time to work on packs. I would also put another studio in charge of QA that are located closer to Maxis HQ, the current one is located in India I believe. I think Maxis would benefit a lot from having a local QA studio and not have one located so far away in a different time zone.

The Sims Franchise
    I would work on a "sims" universe which can contain the sims4, the sims mobile, a new version of sim city and possibly future titles. This will make The Sims brand and Maxis stronger on the market.
    I would also work on a sims 1 and sims2 remastered since those games are no longer available, similar to command and conquer remastered that EA made.
    I would work on a proper sequel to the sims4, no multiplayer, the player base are clearly showing that this is not something that they want, focus on making content that people want instead and you will make profit that way.

Future content
    I would focus on what are the most requested features for the sims4 and when it comes to making these features try to have a more flexible budget which allows for developers to make packs that are more expensive if they believe that they will sell well. This will reduce packs that have good gameplay features but smaller and emptier worlds.
    Future content will focus on "show, don't tell" when it comes to game design so things like rabbit holes and notifications will be kept to a minimum. Replayability and variety is important, more game engineers will work on packs, less art design and marketing.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,051 Member
    edited May 5
    Simmingal wrote: »

Your honesty is appreciated.
    My word of advice: don’t ever put that in your cover letter. Just wing it like everyone else. 😉
    Its okay I'll only ever want to apply to most important position of cleaning lady 🧹

It is sad however that the universe tries to force me to take these management roles that I am so overqualified for✨️
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,155 Member
    Ooo, the Power. :p Well, if I were to run Maxis, I would fire everyone that did Maxis wrong, then I would so hire the following Simmer Youtubers:
    Deligracy, James Turner, Doctor Ashley, Drglon, Fakegamegirl, Iron Seagull, Carl's Guild, Kelsey, Lilisimie, Maple Simmer, Mossy Sim, Pixelade, Plumbella, Syd Mac, Simmer Erin & Vixella. I would also add the following Simmers: @CAPTAIN_NXR7 & @JAL. Also, it would be a Canadian Company without the need for Apps to play the games. Futhermore, the full collection of Sims 2 would be available to purchase on Windows 10 & 11 plus, Sims 2 Base with a starter bundle package would be free always because it's an old game. And speaking of old games, Sims 3 with a starter bundle & starter Store Contents would so be free as well. As for poor long suffering Sims 4, it would be 100% fixed with every pack refreshed & a better crosspack gameplay. For example, Strangerville's Secret Lab would so become the new Scientist Lab Career Location along with Batuu being the Alien's livable would with 15 to 20 lots.
    Sorry, I kind of got a bit power hungry, oops. :o
  • Options
    strictlyteastrictlytea Posts: 8 New Member
    If I were to run Maxis, I would bring back older games like Sims Golf, Sims Safari and put into updated version of Sims with lot more places to go. It could be like expansion or game packs that should be free when you buy the Sims game. I played the original Sims games and also Sims Golf.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,076 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Ooo, the Power. :p Well, if I were to run Maxis, I would fire everyone that did Maxis wrong, then I would so hire the following Simmer Youtubers:
    Deligracy, James Turner, Doctor Ashley, Drglon, Fakegamegirl, Iron Seagull, Carl's Guild, Kelsey, Lilisimie, Maple Simmer, Mossy Sim, Pixelade, Plumbella, Syd Mac, Simmer Erin & Vixella. I would also add the following Simmers: @CAPTAIN_NXR7 & @JAL. Also, it would be a Canadian Company without the need for Apps to play the games. Futhermore, the full collection of Sims 2 would be available to purchase on Windows 10 & 11 plus, Sims 2 Base with a starter bundle package would be free always because it's an old game. And speaking of old games, Sims 3 with a starter bundle & starter Store Contents would so be free as well. As for poor long suffering Sims 4, it would be 100% fixed with every pack refreshed & a better crosspack gameplay. For example, Strangerville's Secret Lab would so become the new Scientist Lab Career Location along with Batuu being the Alien's livable would with 15 to 20 lots.
    Sorry, I kind of got a bit power hungry, oops. :o

Ok, @SERVERFRA , you got my vote (give me bands) :pB)o:)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    edited May 6
    If I were to run Maxis… the studio would work on
    • Additional trait slots for teen (Self Discovery)
    • Pro Dancer career
    • Comicbook
    • Zombies
    • Genies
    • Updated Ghost/Plantsim
    • Police Officer NPC
    • Casino
    • Circus
    • FreeTime EP
    • Romance EP
    • Royalty & Nobles EP
    • Wealthy life EP
    • Vacation EP
    • Grim Reaper GP
    • Time Travel Game Packs
    • Male CAS
    • Sports
    • Heterochromia eyes
    • Prosthetic limbs
    • Ramp tool
    • Bringing back previous content from The Sims franchise

• Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,559 Member
    if i was to run maxi i would include toggles for players that would went to turn off in game features like ghost vampires ect as well as a toggle to turn off buglars for players that would not went them showinmg up in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,646 Member
    If I can run Maxis

Lifestages
    Newborn, Infant, toddler, child, preteen, teen, young adult, adult, Middle aged, and Elder.
    CAS
    Accessories Have an option to have purses, backpacks, bags.
    Piercing Belly, Tongue, and other skin.
    Canes, Walkers, for the Elderly or disabled.
    Bring back the zodiac

I'll like to be inclusive like Sims having a cast on arms leg have crutches or a sling.
    Wheelchair Sim and others.

Build/Buy
    Cars, Strollers, Varieties of playground, Spiral stairs, Elevators.

Gameplay
    Education for all from Daycare- University.
    After school activities and hobbies like ballet, karate, musical instruments, soccer or gumball, baseball, basketball. For Child-Teen. Field trips, School Bus. Active Career Teacher, Janitor, School Nurse, Principal.
    University have a sorority and fraternity like in Sims 2 have parties like in Sims 3 and don't stay too long like in Sims 4.
    Dating
    like have romance options like hold hands while walking, or arn and arm go on different dates like go on a hiking date, museum date, bowling date instead of a restaurant and bar.
    Vacation
    so like in Sims 2 but souvenirs and had a moodlet Or like Sims 3 go on adventures but I'll have either go on adventures or relax with hotels and resorts like in Sims 2 also like on a cruise being part of the vacation then go to a world and explore.
    Highschool Years
    In class gameplay raising hands to ask and answer questions or to go to the bathroom, take notes to help with homework and tests. Study room with friends.
    Rabbit hole football game.
    University Day if you have Uni.
    School Spirit Prep Rally.
    Homecoming Dance, Prom,
    Senior Ditch Day
    Prank Say.
    Visit a university.

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,155 Member
    Ok @Ellupelluellu, I'll give you bands with drums, trumpets, flutes, saxophones, bass, clarinets, harmonicas, harps, & bangos. I would also give sims concert/music tour careers with a pick of any music genres. B) If only I had that kind of power. :'(:o
  • Options
    CAROLPRICE1963CAROLPRICE1963 Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 9
    If I could run Maxis, the player would be able to create NPC players, create from JPG have photos of your real self or favorite actor, your parents your dog your cat, etc on the wall, floor, bed, the t-shirt, dress, texture maker pattern maker, name all the drinks you create clothes maker. Hair maker. eyeliner, I like eyelashes with eyeliner. Some shine and bounce in the hair.

Working Job II____ Elementary Teachers, Firemen, Ghost Hunters, Witch Hunters, Werewolves Hunters, Vampire Hunters, Highschool Teachers, College Teachers, Sunday School Teachers, Pastor, Priests, Rabi, Muslim Cleric given support to the werewolves, Aliens vampires, ghosts, zombies, gypsies, genies, fairies. Humans who wished they had supernatural powers.
  • Options
    Bring back tour guides when Sims goes on vacation and get vacation gifts.
  • Options
    edited May 9
    Sim 4 needs a Body and Things Maker so if you download Mod Wish never did you can quickly delete it.