Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does an effective CC management program actually exist?

Am trying to get my CC under control, including finding and removing the ones that don't work properly, mostly the CAS items that have a picture on the right but when clicked have empty air on the sim. Curse Forge ignores CC, focusing on the few mods I have and the contents of my gallery library. Tray Importer can't get out of its own way, let alone do anything useful. YouTube videos on the subject are less than helpful. Am seeking guidance from simmers also in the trenches who know what works in the real world.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    edited April 6
    You can look at your CC piece by piece and delete it with Sims 4 Studio. They have programs for PC and Apple. You will need a membership but, it is free to join.

If you have blank spaces on your sims you are missing the mesh for that item and Tray Importer has a feature that will take you back to the download page so you can find the link to the original mesh. I find Tray Importer quite useful. Maybe you are not using it to its full potential.

Curse Forge will only update CC that is made by their contributors.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Thank you.
    Have always thought Sims 4 Studio is for modders. Can mere mortals use it as well?

Learned that about blank spaces some years ago and actually managed to fix 3 recent ones by finding the originals thanks to the filenames containing info about the source. Not so easy on the ones that have been there a while, have no maker ID on the icon, and no idea what the problem file is.

You're right about not using Tray Importer to its full potential. Have yet to get it to work at all. It was gotten due to several YouTubers mentioning it, but it has been an exercise in frustration. Time is usually tight, so the prospect of the 50 50 method is daunting.
  • Options
    ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 380 Member
    I use sims 4 mod manager by gametimedev
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I use the same thing as @ZazzyKittyn. It's extremely user friendly and you can "disable" CC if you want but it doesn't actually delete it unless you want to delete it. It will also show you if there'a broken texture like it does in the game. And I'm pretty you can edit it and it will open that piece of CC up into Sims4Studio (I think, if I remember correctly)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    I use sims 4 mod manager by gametimedev

Take care with that one. It renames your files and it's very easy to end up with duplicates or with both an old version and a new version of a mod. We see it all the time in support areas.

There's really no replacement for managing your own mods and CC, especially if you use a lot of it and from multiple sources.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Not heard of that one, so safe for now.
    Prowled the net, read some articles and saw some videos. Have the impression that for Tray Importer to work one needs to make a sim specifically for CC work. So picked an existing townie, ensured that was clean of CC, and then applied one full body outfit, two tops, and 2 bottoms that cause empty air sim on 3 test everyday slots. Did the appropriate saves, exited the game, launched Tray Importer, and there was no test sim. Exited, relaunched game, checked things, even moved test sim onto a lot. Did the appropriate saves and closed game. Tried Tray Importer again and still no test sim. It's too late at night to restart computer to try again. That's a tomorrow thing.

Seems that something's not working how it's supposed to. Not a fun way to wind down after doing income tax. :(
  • Options
    The good news: Have figured out how the software works, that it ignores sims already EA made - new ones only, and that with its help have finally gotten the CC under reasonable control. Have adopted using a 'test' folder to put new CC into first to find out what works before putting into the general system. Easier to deal with issues that way.

Less that good news: Tray Importer does not adapt to changes in sim CC, rather sticks to that when sim 1st checked.
  • Options
    LilMoonLilMoon Posts: 19 Member
    Organise CCs by types, e.g. BB items go to Mods/Buildbuy/(CC creator's name) and CAS/Hair/Makeup/Clothing...
    put each type of CCs to their respective subfolder. I think it's extremely important to organise CC by folder because if any CC is broken I can locate it quickly.

Sims 4 mod manager, to check which CC is which without launching the game, I don't use the mod manager to manipulate files due to issues luthienrising had mentioned. I just manage the files manually when needed.

Sims 4 Studio to merge items, since high quality alpha furnitures are usually heavy, merging CCs can greatly reduce load time and lag (but can sometimes cause CCs to disappear in game, just unmerge if this happens)

My mod folder is over 75GB and never ran into big issue.
    Lx0wdtT.png