Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does TSR have viruses?

I went on the link that hydra had given us to the Sims resource, and I was browsing the site and then a virus scanner appeared asking if I wanted a free scan. Should I of accepted this? I don't want any trouble for clothes!

Comments

• Options
    hippiedippie927hippiedippie927 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited September 2009
    TSR is evil!! :evil:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    velcroshoesvelcroshoes Posts: 2,905 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Its a pop up, I get those sometimes. Ya, don't click it just X out of it...
    EDIT: 2000 poooooooooooostttssssssss

"I'd like to thank WindsorErick because I answered his post which made me have 2000 pooooooosssssstttsssssss!!!
  • Options
    OliverSuddenOliverSudden Posts: 514 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I agree with velcrashoes ...

Nearly all of those online "scan your pc" things are frauds. Those that say they'll fix your computer often add worse things than they claim to remove.

I say ignore 'em all.
  • Options
    Meluv_CookiesMeluv_Cookies Posts: 788 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Weird.
    When I went to their site, McAfee said that it wasnt safe for my computer so I exited out of it. :?

It could be a bug or something...
  • Options
    WindsorErickWindsorErick Posts: 2,796 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Yea, but I tried exiting out at first but it wanted me to save a file. I exited out, but would downloading clothes give me a virus?
  • Options
    spelunkerspelunker Posts: 145 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I went on the link that hydra had given us to the Sims resource, and I was browsing the site and then a virus scanner appeared asking if I wanted a free scan. Should I of accepted this? I don't want any trouble for clothes!
    As velcroshoes said -No, nevah evah accept such an offer. Its totally bogus. At best its an advert, at worst its some insidious malware that will embed itself on your PC.
  • Options
    spelunkerspelunker Posts: 145 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Yea, but I tried exiting out at first but it wanted me to save a file. I exited out, but would downloading clothes give me a virus?
    Always assume that everything on the net has a virus waiting for you. Get a good AV app, and keep it up to date. Make sure that the realtime scanner is on when you're surfing/downloading. After a download, scan the downloaded file(s) again before opening/extracting it.
  • Options
    DanceofmasksDanceofmasks Posts: 1,301 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Having up to date AV software isn't good enough against some viruses.
    One of the nastiest of those is Vundo (and its many variants).

Now if you're getting popups with ads offering free virus scans of some sort, there's a chance you may already be infected with Vundo.
    Browser hijacking and fraudulent anti-virus popups is one of the symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vundo
  • Options
    MuffinatorMuffinator Posts: 2,332 New Member
    edited September 2009
    The virus scanners that redirect the website? NO NO NO. They PUT viruses on your computer. How do I know? I have Vista and it shows and XP Documents.

A lot of websites have them though. Not just TSR.
  • Options
    CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited September 2009
    A LOT of people are up in arms about TSR because even trustworthy, cc savvy, virus-conscious people are getting pop-up ads, spyware, and even viruses from TSR whereas they rarely ever get them from any other site.

For the first time in a very long time, my anti-virus program picked up something malicious and it was from TSR. I got the same pop-up ad that you did, WindsorErick, and I have Adblock Plus on this computer. If you go on other forums (you HAVE to leave this site to get the real deal info), you'll get a taste of the sentiment regarding TSR...it's not very good. AT ALL.
    vLDcu1q.png
    "If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
  • Options
    Rockermonkey999Rockermonkey999 Posts: 1,953 New Member
    edited September 2009
    No, the site itself doesn't have viruses. The popups aren't exactly the sites fault. However, it's their job to make sure their site isn't giving out those ads. Heck the site shouldn't need ads, with all the money it makes.
    Although their CC maker does install spyware.
  • Options
    SpiritedTreasureSpiritedTreasure Posts: 112 New Member
    edited September 2009
    This site DOES have viruses and I am NOT AMUSED.
  • Options
    belle13belle13 Posts: 48 New Member
    edited September 2009
    NO.
    i was on... hmm... maybe xmsims? and that thing popped up saying that i needed to buy that software because i had 17 viruses on my computer. well i took my computer to the store, and it was a virus. it tricks you into making you buy something and then it steals your money...
  • Options
    x3Carlix3Carli Posts: 760 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I have yet to get a virus from TSR or any sims3 cc that I've downloaded. Guess I'll just consider myself pretty dang lucky.
  • Options
    A4L100A4L100 Posts: 3,520 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I'm lucky I didn't get a virus from the CC itself, but I don't stay on the website for more than 5 minutes because that's what's all messed up. :\
  • Options
    berrypie27berrypie27 Posts: 15,492 Member
    edited September 2009
    I have never had a problem there and I have been using them for CC since Sims 2 stuff. I heard the virus was in the CC tool to make your own CC.
  • Options
    TinkeralchTinkeralch Posts: 1
    edited October 2009
    I just got hit with Vundo visiting here yesterday around 11am cst.

I'm pretty ******.
  • Options
    LDYCAPONELDYCAPONE Posts: 197 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Just assuming that these cc sites do have viruses, shouldn't everyone that DLs from them get infected? I mean - I haven't had any probs and I hope I never do; but I have noticed in pics that a lot of ppl have the same cc in their games. Umm... I forgot my point - lol.

• Options
    judywork1957judywork1957 Posts: 6,594 Member
    edited October 2009
    I got your point even if you forgot it! :lol: I've been using their site since sims2 and have never gotten anything, or had any problems with them but I did have probs after downloading from xmsims!
  • Options
    redkilt_82redkilt_82 Posts: 1 New Member
    Everytime i download from TSR there are always problems with my game. Freezes content goes missing and it screws up my computer everytime. I love how easybit is to download from there, sucks cause i dont understand how to download from other sites.. Im staying away from TSR
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    redkilt_82 wrote: »
    Everytime i download from TSR there are always problems with my game. Freezes content goes missing and it screws up my computer everytime. I love how easybit is to download from there, plum cause i dont understand how to download from other sites.. Im staying away from TSR
    Good grief, this discussion is from over seven years ago. I understand that those with the New Members status often cannot start their own threads, but surely there must be a more recent one where TSR has been discussed that could have been found. A lot of things have changed since back then.

TSR is essentially a marketplace where content designers showcase and share their creations. Some of them are brilliant artists, some are still learning as they go, some I have to say really don't have any idea what they are doing, but regardless anyone can make a mistake now and then when producing shared content like that. The professional ones will return and fix issues with their content when it's pointed out to them. I doubt that anyone at TSR spends tremendously huge amounts of time testing out what is being shared as long as the content works more than it doesn't. I tend to look for those creators whose items already have a decent amount of positive comments from those players who have actually used the content being commented on.

I wouldn't say that TSR is the best place to browse for content for those who grab anything that just looks nice without testing such content out first. Except maybe pure decor items, those would seem to have fewer things that can go wrong with them.

If you stay on the free download service through TSR, one tends to be given a minefield of ad-based content to tiptoe through before one gets to the real content. Game content cannot mess up ones computer outside of the game. The ad-based nonsense that may present itself along the way, on the other hand, could be harmful. If one can't really tell the difference, then I would have to agree that TSR might be a good place to stay away from.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top