Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Career suggestions - which careers would you add?

JALJAL Posts: 1,035 Member
edited January 4 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Sometimes I think that there are so many missed opportunities when it comes to careers in game. There are too many computer careers, not enough full time manual careers and some (in my mind) glaring omissions. So if you could add careers - just careers not new packs - what would you add?

Here are some of mine:

Figure skater (seasons)
A semi active career using the uniforms we already have in game and got with seasons. Work from home options should include skating (of course) but also going to the gym or working out in other ways, blogging or updating to simstagram and just like other athlete careers - check out the competition. Cross pack compatibility with Get Famous could add other options, like doing commercials (acting), or just earning fame points. And with spa-day installed wellness activities could be added to the list of work from home options too.

Fashion model (Moschino)
It seems a missed opportunity to add photographer and not model to the pack. A freelance gig-career would work great for this.

Yoga instructor (Spa-day)
An active freelance gig-career where you can give lessons for money in parks, gyms, spas, beaches or even at home. The higher the skill the better pay. If you are skilled enough you could get recurring jobs at a gym or spa.

High school teacher (High school years)
An active career where you teach or work in administration at the school. Teaching classes, helping students and monitoring their behaviour.

Librarian (base game)
An active or semi active career where you work in your local library. Clean up books, talk to visitors, give advice on books, call maintenance when needed, tell people not to bother those who are working, kick people out who are playing computer games on the computers instead of working...

Garden designer (dream home decorator):
Same career but focused on gardens, parks and other outdoor spaces. Obviously a lot of debug gardening objects would need to be put in the base game for this to be realistic, but the job itself should be easy enough to make functional.

So what jobs would you add if you could?
Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I would love separate nursing career from the doctor career. Can be a rabbit hole career. Doesn't have to be a 'go to/with' career.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Parks maintenance - basically clean the parks of leftover foods, dog poo, forgotten clay tablets and clay clumps, clean around dustbins, collect the leaf piles in autumn, shovel snow in winter, plant new trees and harvestables, add new playground equipment, fix anything broken, etc.
    Bike shop repair - fix some broken spikes, oil the chain, add new alarm bell to it, change tires, etc.
    Street portrait/caricature artist - sit in a park and wait for customers to paint their portrait or caricature for a fee
    Private piano or violin teacher - have children or adults come to your house for 1on1 lessons
    Professional darts player - you play darts a lot and train for tournaments and occasionally take part in rabbithole competitions and maybe earn a title or something
    Gardening - I loved how we could trim the hedges and roses in TS2, would love to have something like that back. We basically can't have an active decorative garden right now, only for vegetables and those lame flower bushes.
  • Options
    @Stina1701A I would love a separate nurse career. It just makes sense. You don't necessarily become a nurse because you want to become a doctor, sometimes you want to be a nurse.

@crocobaura Those sound like fantastic ideas. I think the darts player could work as a gig-career/hobby that you make a living off by signing up to competitions. The street portrait could be a freelance thing. I would love a parks maintenance/gardening career that isn't a build-up to be a botanist, but just a gardener, preferably active in a park of your choosing. And the bike shop repair sounds awesome. Would fit well in a car-pack with a mechanic career as well. You could own a bike repair shop or a garage that fixes cars.
  • Options
    Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,114 Member
    Get to Work need an update with a Fashon Designer career

It could include the sewing machine with the sewing skill and a drawing board.

Island Living could include the Oceanography career

• Options
    @mak27 I would love a Fashion Designer career! I'm not sure it would fit Get to Work, that pack already tries to cram in too much in one pack, but I'd easily buy a well made fashion GP. A part from the designer career you could add the model career. Hobbies such as weaving, dying fabrics and designing and sew clothes. You could do it for hobby and sell on plopsy, or in your retail store (if you have GTW) or host fashion shows at various lounges to sell to department stores... It could be cross pack compatible with Get to work, Get famous and Moschino easily, making use of fame, retail systems and the photography career that could be updated so that you can hire a photographer as well as being one.

BB could include everything to make the clothes, things to fix up a clothes shop or show room with a fitting room, clothing racks, or things to host fashion shows such as a runway...
    New events could be fashion show.
    New aspirations to work with the new careers, and a new creative trait.
    Social bunny posts about hosting, going to or taking part in a fashion show.

I really think it could be not only a great new career but a great new pack.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Hair Stylist, Tattoo Artist and Piercer, Firemen, Gardener All of these can be a work from home type or an active career.
  • Options
    @Briana2425 I would love to have and build a beauty salon, like we did in sims 2 where we could run a business from home! Better yet if the chair could also work in public spaces so that we could build hair salons to go and visit. It would be a great addition to GTW or possibly as a part of a Hotel pack as lots of hotels offer beauty services too. I'd even buy a stuff pack named beauty salon if they made it where you could run it as a business at home, or at another location and work on it yourself or hire others to do it.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'd like to have art exhibitions as events where your characters can display, sell and for those wanting more crime, steal the art. It would give more to do with museums. You could also have art auctions or auctions for artifacts found in Jungle Adventure or collectibles. I saw someone else mention extracting artifacts from more worlds and I'd honestly like that too.

I agree that it would have made sense to add a fashion model career with Moschino or another concept. Adding a professional dancer career sounds like it would be easy enough.

Playable royalty as a career makes sense if they have a royalty pack. Wildlife management or zookeeper makes sense if they make a zoo pack.

If in doubt, add more careers. I generally like having any new careers because I do play with them and they keep things from getting too repetitive.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    @ChampandGirlie Oh, I'd love more things to do with museums and art in general. I find museums today is nothing useful, but imagine if they were a place for art exhibitions, art classes, archaeology classes or had guided tours? You could play an active career as a museum curator, and it could also be used for homework for discover university (visit a museum and get a guided tour) or school outings for high school years where the entire class would go.

I definitely like the idea of expanding the archaeology - could be a part of the jungle adventure, just an upgrade. Artifacts in every world, that are unique to that specific world. (old germanic findings in Windenburg, Nativa american in Chestnut grove, Roman artifacts in Tartosa...). Simultaneously they could add a real archaeology career to jungle adventure, and add archaeology to the classes at discover university.

So many great ideas!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    JAL wrote: »
    @ChampandGirlie Oh, I'd love more things to do with museums and art in general. I find museums today is nothing useful, but imagine if they were a place for art exhibitions, art classes, archaeology classes or had guided tours? You could play an active career as a museum curator, and it could also be used for homework for discover university (visit a museum and get a guided tour) or school outings for high school years where the entire class would go.

I definitely like the idea of expanding the archaeology - could be a part of the jungle adventure, just an upgrade. Artifacts in every world, that are unique to that specific world. (old germanic findings in Windenburg, Nativa american in Chestnut grove, Roman artifacts in Tartosa...). Simultaneously they could add a real archaeology career to jungle adventure, and add archaeology to the classes at discover university.

So many great ideas!

I would love all of this. I've been hoping they'll do something with the museums. I like museums but would like more gameplay for them. Really, I also like all of the other career ideas. I also agree about extending the ability to find more artifacts in the different worlds. That's a way to add more collectibles for those wanting them.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    I'd like to see careers exclusive to supernaturals where their supernatural advancement will also be required for career advancement.

Aliens could get access to a whole different astronaut themed career, getting beamed up when they head to work.

Spellcasters could work for a circle of mages, advancing to eventually be the leader of the circle. This could optionally even be an active career practised in a wizard tower added to the magic realm. Which could add some proper mage robes and hats too so grand mages won't just look like some random hobo like in the main pack. (That hobo could get an update to a proper outfit too.)

Could also be neat to see some sort of super hero and super villain career added for a new supersim supernatural, but which some other super naturals could also take on due to their powers. Vampires and Werewolves could. (werewolves after they get options to actually look intimidating that is.)

Could be an active career with like some sort of tower of justice for the heroes and an evil lair for the villains, where they could monitor some stuff, train, talk with fellow heroes/villains, spar, and also go out on a mission which would be a rabbit hole thing.
    Could also play into secret identities, which could be discovered if they are careless with showing their powers.
    Like if Lady Supersim starts flying around on her family vacation with her husband and kids, now everyone knows Lady supersim is actually Simone, who they thought was a stay at home mother.
    Like with other active careers you could just let them go without following them to work too.

• Options
    @rhalius I don't play with occults much, so I've never thought much about that, but you're absolutely right, they should have careers tied to them. I love the idea of a separate astronaut career for aliens that are unique for them. Perhaps a scientist career as well - trying to prove that humans exist.

• Options
    ThornwillowThornwillow Posts: 123 Member
    I'd love to have active or more semi-active careers in BG like:

- Diairist (Residential lots)
    - Gardener (Residential lots)
    - Librarian (Library)
    - Museum worker (Museum)
    - Lifeguard (Pools)
    - Forest Ranger (National Parks)
  • Options
    @Thornwillow Oh, I like the idea of forest ranger. Perhaps as an addition to Outdoor retreat. And I'd love for the life guard career that came with Island Living to be expanded to pools, maybe an active career at any pool or beach lot. Perhaps an NPC-lifeguard who shows up if you visit a place with a lifeguard towel (or a new lifeguard tower).
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    I'd like to see a psychotherapy career.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    how about the school teacher career that was in the sims3?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    JAL wrote: »
    @Briana2425 I would love to have and build a beauty salon, like we did in sims 2 where we could run a business from home! Better yet if the chair could also work in public spaces so that we could build hair salons to go and visit. It would be a great addition to GTW or possibly as a part of a Hotel pack as lots of hotels offer beauty services too. I'd even buy a stuff pack named beauty salon if they made it where you could run it as a business at home, or at another location and work on it yourself or hire others to do it.

@JAL yes I remember building a salon in Sims 2 it was so much fun especially if you wanted to change up a townie from looking crazy lol. I have name Sherice that I made in Sims 2 she worked from home as the town hair braider and I made her on Sims 4 I just want to make her a hair braider
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    I think it could be nice if they add a new type of job that has few tiers but is very much about taking big risks for potential big rewards. That could really spice up the game I think, and they would not have any way to advance other than through picking the right decisions during pop ups, but skills could come into play so you might only succeed if you are good enough in a relevant skill.

Daredevil for example could make a great return here, would also be an excuse to bring in some interesting daring activities.
    The advancement would reflect their renown as a daredevil more, going from being an attention seeker to legendary daredevil.
    Each pop up would be a different stunt, where you could make a few choices. Depending on what it is, your Sim could die from it, injure themselves, get sick or otherwise get some negative effects from it for a while. But succeeding would give them fame and cash. It could be the quickest way to fame mainly.

Some sort of criminal job could be perfect for this too, like maybe being a thief. Going from being a simple burglar or pick pocket to become a legendary thief or tomb raider. Would be the job that can make your sim rich the fastest, but can also cause them to have to pay fines, spend time in jail or stuff like that. Pop ups during their work would be about different actions to take during their heist, their abilities coming into play.

Stock broker could also work for this. Your sim could get filthy rich, but could also get into huge debts they have to repay. Could also work for gambler but I honestly think stock broker would be more interesting since it offers a legit job option in this category. Their pop ups would be more about who they advice their clients to invest money in and how much, skills could come less into play here and it could be more about luck and choosing either the safe way or the risky way that can make way more money.

• Options
    Acide950Acide950 Posts: 32 Member
    I would love;

* Session musician (basically a freelance music career). Would also love more specialized music stuff, but the Sims 4 doesn't have that much.
    * Dancer, either as a full time or freelance (we even have a dancing skill)
    * Baking career, can be split into pastry chef and baker. Would be nice to be able to use the skill for something.
    * (acting) Director, feels like it should have been a part of get famous, but still
    * DJ, can also be freelance.
  • Options
    @Acide950 I would love more movie related career. Director, producer, camera man, make up artist, dresser... all the ones we see around the set. I would be fine if they were just rabbit hole careers, but the ability to have a family where someone is an actor/actress and someone is a producer or tech-person would be awesome.

I suppose sort of you already can be a DJ in game, but I agree that it could be a real career (active) that you could easily add to Get together using the skills and assets already in game.
  • Options
    nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    I'm surprised growing together doesn't have this since San Seqouia is describe as having a fishing and canning industry, but suggestions include: cannery worker (functional cannery), machine operator (functional sewing/clothes making workshop), carpenter (functional furniture making and upholstery business), freelance CD careers such as dog walker, pet sitter, and pet groomer. I also think there should be an actual barista career that implements growing coffee beans, making coffee blends, and upgrades to the espresso bar to allow stocking with craftable coffee grounds. New interactions would allow customers to order takeaway coffee tins and use them at home with the coffee machine. This would make cafes more like an ownable business instead of just a community lot.
  • Options
    caylalala1213caylalala1213 Posts: 1 New Member
    I would love to see a separate nursing career. Certified Nursing Assistant —> Practical Nurse —> Registered Nurse —> Critical Care Nurse —> Choose your path: Nurse Practitioner or Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. This will never happen but I would love it lol.
  • Options
    nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    I would love to see a separate nursing career. Certified Nursing Assistant —> Practical Nurse —> Registered Nurse —> Critical Care Nurse —> Choose your path: Nurse Practitioner or Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. This will never happen but I would love it lol.

And maybe a sports medicine career branch since there is the athlete career and the soccer team from DU.
  • Options
    leebraryleebrary Posts: 22 Member
    It's been a minute since I last played, but do they have a rideshare driver profession yet?
  • Options
    BeeBlossom98BeeBlossom98 Posts: 3 New Member
    An actual fashion designer career, a trait in the Creative Aspirations section. With how in the Crystal Creatives stuff pack you have a gemology table, why not have something similar for crafting your own clothes in depth ^^