We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Team: How to Support Rotational Players AND Open World

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,248 Member
Sims 1/2/4 Closed world is easier for rotational players
Sims 3 Open world is not built for rotational players
Also allow for aging of unplayed townies

How do we do it?

For rotational players (playing at least two households), they need their families to have no progression and no aging while not active. They like to celebrate milestones, birthdays, and aging up while that family is active. They also want the unplayed and NPC sims to age in sync, but not overage. So...

Build Sims 5 Rene so rotational players can bucket their households into these 3:
  • The Primary, Slot #1 Household (only 1 household)
  • Other Played Households (1 or more)
  • Everyone Else (NPCs, Homeless Service sims, unplayed households, rest of the world)

Normally, only your currently active family will age. When you switch from that household to another of your My Households and make that active, then that new active family is the only one that ages.

So why do we need these 3 categories? A Special Rule only applies to the slot #1 primary household..."Everyone Else" aging. As you play this #1 household, it ages AND all the sims in the "Everyone Else" category also age each day as you progress in time. This allows all the other sims to age in sync. (As usual, your other My Households that are not active do not age or progress at this time). In other words, this #1 household dictates the progression of the calendar into the future and the story progression of the Everyone Else sims.

When you switch to play My Households that are part of the "Other Played Households" category, only that active household ages as usual...no one else in the game. This is done to prevent the Everyone Else category of sims from aging up too quickly in a way that is out of sync.

For legacy players, they would only have their legacy family in slot #1 and zero households in "Other Played Households." As the slot #1 household has the special rule, it would also allow for everyone else in the world to age up with that legacy household.

Also, for those that want no aging in the world whatsoever, there should be a no aging option to support their playstyle!

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,281 Member
    They could just make it like TS4 aging and neighbourhood story progression. I turn it off, nobody ages or changes jobs without my consent, all is fine. TS3 pretended to simulate a story progression and aging but just did a random hack job of it like we couldn't tell the difference. TS4 story progression does the same thing. If they can't bother to program a proper simulation they they shouldn't add it. Why do sims keep having children if they don't have a wish for a large family? Maybe I'm too fussy but these changes that to me make no sense bother me, so I turned it off because I play rotationally and I go back to these households. I don't care what happens in households I don't play, but I have about 30 or so households I play, I don't want to have a save for every one of them.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,248 Member
    The point is that in a given save, you can have many families you play - let’s say a week at a time.

You don’t want any of your played families to age or progress until you play them. So once you play every single family in your rotation, they’ve all aged up +7 days.

Sims Team needs to make a way so the rest of the world ages up +7 days, not +7 multiplied by # of households you just played through.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I played Sims 3 with NRAAS Story Progression mod, and I encourage anyone thinking about a Sims 5 story progression to go to them and like offer them a job. Seriously, I'm not kidding, lol. It was that much of a game changer.

I'm for anything that gives players more options in our games. Even just an option screen for each household where you can check to allow or disallow aging and other story progression for the household. And definitely allow players to turn off aging for the whole neighborhood, or just for the played houses.

edited June 2023
    Yes NRaas is great. Although it wasn’t perfect as the Sims 3 engine was built around legacy only and your currently inactive families that were part of your rotations weren’t exactly “frozen.” I often had weird accounting problems with household money when I went back to join them.

Options to freeze progression of your rotations households until you play them again AND prevent all other unplayed world and townie sims from aging and story progressing not even in double time if you play only two households but N time (N being the number of households you play with in a rotation)….they can get out of sync really easily

That’s why it’s helpful to think of a “primary” played household that drives the pace of the unplayed world aging and progressing (if you want that option)

But I’m open to other solutions
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,281 Member
    The point is that in a given save, you can have many families you play - let’s say a week at a time.

You don’t want any of your played families to age or progress until you play them. So once you play every single family in your rotation, they’ve all aged up +7 days.

Sims Team needs to make a way so the rest of the world ages up +7 days, not +7 multiplied by # of households you just played through.

No, no. You assume that I want them to age automatically, but I don't. I play them for seasons, sometimes even years, at a time and don't have any particular order in which I play the different households. I don't need and don't want them to age automatically regardless of settings. Aging them manually, when I feel they are ready to age up is just the right setting for me.
    edited June 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »

No, no. You assume that I want them to age automatically, but I don't. I play them for seasons, sometimes even years, at a time and don't have any particular order in which I play the different households. I don't need and don't want them to age automatically regardless of settings. Aging them manually, when I feel they are ready to age up is just the right setting for me.

Not trying to assume anything. Just isn’t really understand your play style. I think I understand now

That’s why I think a manual aging switch would work for you? My idea was more for people who want consistent aging that stays in sync

The primary family should also have an on/off switch for if you want aging of the world to occur with it. So you could turn off aging for that primary family, turn off aging for the world, and turn of progression of the world
    “Why do sims keep having children if they don't have a wish for a large family?“

Yes I agree that story progression in both Sims 3 and 4 have been pretty awful so I prefer that there are also toggles for progression as well as aging for full control
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,102 Member
    They could use Primary #1 or whatever to cue a pop up, asking you how long you wanted to age the world, too.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,276 Member
    edited June 2023
    I like this concept, it reflects how many players progress their sims world in Sims 4.

As for not wanting the world to age at all, that could easily get incorporated into the proposed system by allowing us to leave the primary slot empty or fill it with a throaway sim. I'd just put all my households into "Other Played households" and maybe put the mayor, landlord or other public figure into the primary slot, where I'd never touch them again.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,390 Member
    Because I play huge irregular rotation, I feel that TS4 system where I can toggle the NPC/unplayed sim aging on works better than the aging being tied to a primary slot. I can see the benefits for those who play regular rotations though!
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    Because I play huge irregular rotation, I feel that TS4 system where I can toggle the NPC/unplayed sim aging on works better than the aging being tied to a primary slot. I can see the benefits for those who play regular rotations though!

I don't play that much rotation games, but this is how I do it, and how I do things like University too, where your Sim might be temporarely split off from their household:

I pause the aging for all Sims except one household, which have auto aging for all Sims on.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    edited July 2023
    I hope there is a "sync aging" button that allows you to age up townies/NPCs to whatever age your currently active household is when you press the button.

I also think a Universal Calendar could be used. For example. You start your save file on Day 1. In two days, it becomes Day 3. Every single household in the game, playable or not, and including the hidden Townie/NPC household, has its own calendar day number tracked in memory. Depending on your aging option, this tracked "day" either freezes (no aging) or continues with time (aging). If you like universal aging, then all households and Townies/NPCs increase their Day number with your active household. Aging up is a function of the day. If you are born on Day 1, on Day 11 your age is +10. If you turn off aging settings, then the Day number is 1 and stays 1 - your Sims don't age.

Need to note that the Day Number is independent of the weekly Monday through Sunday schedule as well as Seasons.

Importantly, you can press a button to "sync" households of your rotations that might have a Day number less than the oldest. This causes their Day number to increment to match the highest one. And since aging is a function of the Day number, this aging up causes relevant life stage transitions and deaths to occur, if it's been enough time.
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Simple, let us set which households and lots are included in the story progression.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    edited February 11
    I think it's extremely likely Sims 5 Rene will be open world. But what about rotational play?

Sims 3 it's impossible because it's built around legacy-only gameplay with one core family per save file. Sims 4 has the My Families but it's not enough.

In theory, rotational play basically says "freeze the other households in my rotation list while I'm not playing them. I want zero progression of my families while I'm not playing. I want to jump right back in where I left off when I get to playing them again."

We can also take it a step further.

To make this work, every save file Starts with a universal calendar (Week 1, Day 1 / Season: Fall). Playing ONE of your played households will progress that timeline FOR THAT HOUSEHOLD AND HOUSEHOLD ONLY into the future. Let's say you end on Week 2, Day 8, Season: Winter. If you want to play your next household, they are technically in the past still on Week 1, Day 1 / Season: Fall and you get to play the same week but from THEIR perspective.

We ALSO need an age up townies and NPCs button that basically will push THEIR timeline to match the Week #, Day #, Season X of the household furthest into the future. This will progress them, age them up, kill them off if they are ready to die of old age, etc. etc.!
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,456 Member
    Some of us do not play with a primary family so having the ability to switch aging off entirely or to only age the active household like you can in TS4 is helpful. TS3 did not align with that playstyle even though it was fun in its own ways. I think the player needs to be able to control time in the game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • EleriEleri Posts: 503 Member
    To make this work, every save file Starts with a universal calendar (Week 1, Day 1 / Season: Fall). Playing ONE of your played households will progress that timeline FOR THAT HOUSEHOLD AND HOUSEHOLD ONLY into the future. Let's say you end on Week 2, Day 8, Season: Winter. If you want to play your next household, they are technically in the past still on Week 1, Day 1 / Season: Fall and you get to play the same week but from THEIR perspective.
    Unless this is an optional feature, it would turn me off of the game entirely. I like seasonal changes because of the variety. I don't want to play through the exact same season and holidays that I just played through, just because I switched households.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
    edited February 13
    Eleri wrote: »
    Unless this is an optional feature, it would turn me off of the game entirely. I like seasonal changes because of the variety. I don't want to play through the exact same season and holidays that I just played through, just because I switched households.

Yes options are important! Aging and progression should be two different switches for inactive families in My Households.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,618 Member
    edited February 13
    Hi @simmerorigin there is a nice way to do what you want with our aging options already-- it is how I usually play in rotational games so I have some experience with it!
    - Set aging to Active Household Only
    - Set NPC aging to off
    But when you play your "primary" household (or whoever you want to tie NPC aging to), turn NPC aging to on. Then off again when switching away from your primary household.

I like the flexibility and open endedness of our current set of options for aging
    gen3-banner.png
    edited February 13
    Hi @simmerorigin there is a nice way to do what you want with our aging options already-- it is how I usually play in rotational games so I have some experience with it!
    - Set aging to Active Household Only
    - Set NPC aging to off
    But when you play your "primary" household (or whoever you want to tie NPC aging to), turn NPC aging to on. Then off again when switching away from your primary household.

I like the flexibility and open endedness of our current set of options for aging

Yes, that's how I played Sims 4 back when I played it. But I would love my currently inactive households in My Households to be completely frozen in place so that I can resume exactly where I left off when I rejoin them.

Can you remind me how seasons and progression work in the Sims 4? If I play family A and then switch over to family B from My Households, does family B progress in any way during the time A was active? And would seasons progress by the time I switch over to family B?
  • EleriEleri Posts: 503 Member
    Seasons progress for all households at once. If you switch from family A to family B on Love Day, when you get to family B it will also be Love Day, even if it was winter when you last played them.

Progression is more complicated. There is one default panel for played households and another panel for NPC households. Each panel has buttons for the different elements of story progression (get a job, have a baby, die tragically, etc.). If you want to turn off all story progression for all played households, you can do that. Beyond the default panels, each family has it's own progression panel that you can use to have custom settings just for that household.

There are also neighborhood stories mechanics, which your active sim can use to convince other sims (played or NPC) to start a new romantic relationship, make a new friend, have a baby or get a new job.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
    Yeah, that first bit about the seasons doesn't work for me...it means time isn't frozen from my inactive families when I go to rejoin them. I hope Project Rene has an option to accommodate this.

Progression options are good.