Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you build your own house or do you download from gallery?

Do you build your own house or do you download from gallery?

Comments

• becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    Almost always from the gallery. I'm a terrible builder.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    If I want something that isn't in the game, I usually search the gallery first. Only if I can't find what I'm looking for, or what I find is so hopelessly overcluttered and MOO'd that it would take forever to fix, I begrudgingly start building myself.
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    I have been known to do both. I especially like decorating apartments, so most of those are my own. But I'm not great at building the actual house so I also download regularly.
    Same for community lots too. I have a number that are my own originals and favourites from Gallery.
  • chongjasminechongjasmine Posts: 68 Member
    I tend to download from the gallery as I am bad at building.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    I do a little of both. I have made a few houses, and I have downloaded several from the gallery. A few of the houses I have made ( more modern track houses ) are houses which I have actually seen inside. When I download houses I have downloaded shells where I can design the interior, and some houses where the interior is already designed, but I almost always change up some things inside a downloaded house till I am satisfied with it. I also do that a lot for community lots I download. I tend to like making community lots the most. And like someone else also mentioned, I love decorating apartments sometimes changing interior walls too. Many times I will add to Maxis builds as well.
  • kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I always start out with 0 simoleons and rrely get much further than a shack of some kind I build myself :#
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I mostly build my own, unless I’m doing a Maxis shell challenge.
    I’ve even sometimes build a house for my daughter, so that she can download it from the Gallery. My daughter doesn’t like to build much. So sometimes I’ll ask her what theme she wants & then I make sure to only use the packs that she has to build it. She really appreciates it.😉
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    I don't like building. I've been building a wedding venue for a couple of weeks and it's still not finished. All my lots are downloaded from the Gallery. So thankful for all the great builders.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,343 Member
    I love building, so I automatically just build my own 99% of the time.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Both, although lately I've been downloading a lot of houses. I always make changes to them so they work for my sims.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I enjoy building so I usually build my own. I did download lots when I first started playing, but found them unplayable due to all the items using move objects on. I was surprised when I downloaded a house I liked and found my sim couldn't walk through the yard due to overuse of plants everywhere. I use MOO for landscaping in small areas to get more plants in, being careful not to use taller ones in front of posts. I love some clutter in my homes but find many have too much clutter. @SheriSim57, like you I enjoy building real homes I have lived in, have been in, or have researched. It is so much fun to have sims live in houses you know!
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I love building - I participate in challenges here and I'm currently on a project to rebuild and repopulate all of San Myshuno before I start a new legacy there - but I still wind up downloading builds from the gallery quite often. There are so many amazing creators on the gallery! And sometimes, if I'm in the mood to play and I don't already have a build that fits the style, budget and function I want, it's so much easier to just download something and keep focusing on the live part of the game while I feel inclined to do so.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I love building, and mostly it gives me a sense of peace. However, sometimes I want something like right how, and am too tired to build it myself. I will browse the Gallery. I once found a shell, which was great. I finished the inside and eventually added onto it.

For the most part I build my own.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited May 2023
    Mostly my own
    I might use part of cool build I find
    and I do get lots of inspiration scrolling some things others have built

but I never really just put down a build
    and be yay and start playing in it :sweat_smile:

I just find it little overwhelming when I don't know exactly where every item in the build is
    I think thats why I end up just building my own regardless of how beautiful things other people build
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • MrManyIdeasMrManyIdeas Posts: 203 Member
    Not the gallery but I have began to look for houses on MTS. I'm quite lazy nowadays so I don't build.
  • Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    in sims 1 i just built a box with a roof. one room for everything 😂 but it got way better. i've built hundrets of houses over the years and until i started storytelling a few months ago, i spent 80% of my ingame time building. so, no, i never download lots 👩‍🔧
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • LarrikatevenLarrikateven Posts: 99 Member
    Most of my houses, I build myself. Gallery builds don't work most of the time for me: because of the MOO issue mentioned earlier where it is hard for Sims to navigate builds, because I'm missing several packs which mean that half the build disappears sometimes, and then also because sometimes I want something very specific for my household (for example, a house that is shared by a painting vampire, an astronaut, and an actor, with the decor/skillbuilding items for all three of them).

With that said, I have downloaded a few houses from the gallery. There are just some styles of house that I cannot build. I have a handful of Victorian houses from the gallery, because I love that style but cannot figure out how to do them myself.
  • vossimsvossims Posts: 7 New Member
    Community lots I download from de Gallery. The houses it depends. I like de gameplay more than the building part.
    I agree with simmingal that i find the Gallery a bit overwhelming.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Oh, yes, MOO can be very problematic at times. I generally do a quick drop and look things over. If it's just too much I'll redownload the house unfurnished, which is a big help in some ways, but there have been quite a few times I've just given up in the middle of a reno and deleted the whole thing. If it's a build I've fallen in love with, though, I'll power through and make it work.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,876 Member
    edited May 2023
    I like both. I find that whenever I download from the gallery I still have to spend a lot of time building the lot anyway, either because of problems playing in the lot or because I'm just picky about things. Or unowned packs. I really wish we could filter gallery results to include/exclude certain packs.
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    I do build on occasion.
    That said, I do download from the gallery. I do not like lots with way too much MOO used, though.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    50/50

I'm very picky and must make changes to a Gallery lot before I use it so often it makes more sense to build my own.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I mostly build my own, unless I’m doing a Maxis shell challenge.
    I’ve even sometimes build a house for my daughter, so that she can download it from the Gallery. My daughter doesn’t like to build much. So sometimes I’ll ask her what theme she wants & then I make sure to only use the packs that she has to build it. She really appreciates it.😉

I’m just the opposite, I sometimes download my daughters community lots. And sometimes even some of her families, she often has ones that have completed aspirations that I can use for like a bakery shop ( so stuff doesn’t spoil ). She also has a lot of retail, and she has someone upgrading furniture and stuff, which I don’t normally take the time or detail to do.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I download my houses from the Gallery all the time, I don't have the patience to make my own.
    I have also downloaded malls and other builds from the gallery as well.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    If I need a build for one of my SimLit stories and I'm really in a rush I download from the gallery and then do a little redecorating to fit the story. Otherwise I do my own builds. I've gotten comfortable and gained a lot of confidence in my building skills so it's really fun and helps with inspiration for my writing.