Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ITF Question

I have never had any of my sims stay in Oasis Landing long term, or had them join the astronomy or bot building careers. I want to do those things with my current sims. In their homeworld, they are both self-employed, the husband as a nectar maker and the wife a sculptor, and those careers remain in their career panels while in ITF. Would having them join the ITF careers make them lose their self-employment careers in their homeworld as well?

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    I don't know the answer for sure. But do you need them to move to Oasis Landing? I have had sims live there for a while occasionally. All of the careers and objects appear to me to be available in the home world. You just need to place the rabbit holes and buy the into the future objects for them. I don't think there is anything you miss out on if doing it this way.

On the other hand, I don't usually put sims into the at home type careers. They can earn plenty of simoleans working from home without joining the respective careers. So if they do lose their self-employment careers when they join the ITF careers, they will still be able to make their nectar and do their sculpting at home and sell the things they make.
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    The answer is yes and no.

The game treats both worlds as 'Home-Worlds' while your Sim is residing there. In other words, things which are done in Oasis Landing stay in Oasis Landing. This applies to self-employed careers as well. While in Oasis Landing, any goods your Sim sells will not be counted towards the career goals which they obtained in their original home world.

I learned this the hard way when I had a self-employed painter from Sunset Valley create and sell a painting in Oasis Landing. The result was two (x2) self-employed painting careers. The progress of each career was anchored to whichever world they happened to be in at the time. In 'The Valley' she was level 9, in OL she was level 3.

While I haven't had a Sim join any 'official' careers while in Oasis Landing, I don't see this changing anything. I guess the only way to really find out is to test it. Logically, it shouldn't affect anything because technically Oasis Landing doesn't officially exist (yet/while in the original home-world) so anything which happens there is time fluid.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited April 2023
    @Karritz I'm not having them live in Oasis Landing just so they can do those careers. I tend to send my sims to vacation worlds or OL to get a break from whatever they're doing in their homeworld, and especially to have some time away from their entire household, where things can get a little overwhelming (or sometimes a lot overwhelming). For this household of 4 humans, 4 horses, a dog, and a cat, I need a break from the humans having to spend several sim hours every morning brushing pets, cleaning horses' hooves, and multiple affectionate interactions, and play only the humans for awhile. The plan to have them join the ITF careers is secondary, but I've always wanted to have a household live there for several sim weeks and do the careers, maybe even raise their children there, along with everything else they can only do there. Just so I can do it at least once.

@mw1525 Thank you. I just didn't want to risk messing up their careers at home. The nectar maker is at level 10 in his career, due to keeping nectar around until it appreciates to a value of several thousand simoleons per bottle, but the sculptor only makes and sells one sculpture a week, because she's working on mastering all the skills and making the skill challenges. So I don't want to lose her career progress. She's the one who will do the bot building. I know she can do it regardless of whether she registers, but I'd also like to go through the career at least once before the time comes that I can't play the game anymore, which I hope will not happen in my lifetime, though I suspect it's not nearly as far away as my own likely expiration date.
    Currently, only the sculptor is in OL. Before sending her home, I decided to save, send her to register as a self-employed bot builder, then send her back to the present. When she arrived back home, she still was in the bot building career. So I quit without saving and reopened the save from before she registered. I guess this sim isn't the one I'll try the bot building career with after all.
    edited April 2023
    When I was building things and putting them onto the Exchange I built a gondola lot on a lot in Oasis Landing. I put trees and other things from various expansions and store sets/venues. I was surprised about how the colours of the plants in particular changed in Oasis Landing.

Some examples:

Gondola39.jpg

Gondola35.jpg

Gondola31.jpg

I didn't do anything to them to make them these colours. So if you're into a bit of adding some build plants to your sim's home lot in Oasis Landing you could end up with some colours you don't expect to see.

And if your sims collect some dew from the dew plants, and drink it, they might turn an interesting colour for a while

Gondola32.jpg

Some of the dew plants (very large flowers that come with Into the Future) I think I had the lot placed in Aurora Skies for this screen shot. The plants resumed their normal colours in that world.

Gondola48.jpgHave fun.
    edited April 2023
    @Karritz Those are beautiful pictures. The colors in the utopian future are overlays, like the snow in the winter, so every living plant changes, regardless of where they came from. Except, maybe garden plants wouldn't. I don't know about that, because I've never had a sim garden in the utopian or dystopian future, only the regular future.
    Post edited by IreneSwift on
    As far as I know that was in the regular future.
    OK, so maybe I'm wrong about that. I thought my long-ago sim went into the utopian future, that all the plants on her home lot were pink and blue, and they were the same ones that were there in the normal and dystopian future. But I notice in your pictures there are also green plants, and I don't remember ever seeing that in the utopian future. But it's been years since I've sent a sim to the future, and probably even longer since I've changed the future with any sim. I only did it because I wanted my sim to catch the rainbow snails and one-eyed fish, but that didn't work anyway. I had to put the spawners into a pond on on my sim's own lot, which I just also did for my current sim.
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited May 2023
    whoa @Karritz you just changed my mind about installing ITF. I wasn't going to, really dislike almost everything about that ep. But will now, cos your pictures are AMAZING and I love them and whoa, need. You did a seriously nice job!! Thank you for posting those!

um. @Karritz cough. :smile: could you upload your gondala lot to the exchange? Is that possible? Yours is GORGEOUS.

hmmm, those giant flowers are really nice. After I install supernatural, there's a chubby fairy guy I always put in every town and love to play. He would really like those flowers. I'm sorta getting antsy to just go ahead and install all the packs but it's also fun to play with a limited number of packs -- I'm finding things in them that I either NEVER noticed before or skipped over.

Btw, if anyone has the steam Collection bundle, some people had trouble getting their game to even launch after they started installing then disabling packs. They had to go into the registry to fix it every time. So after I install a pack, it's staying.
    edited May 2023
    @stickykisses the gondola has been on the Exchange since October 2015. Here's the link. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8578813

I have had fun placing it in different worlds and it is often slightly different in each one.
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited May 2023
    Karritz wrote: »
    @stickykisses the gondola has been on the Exchange since October 2015. Here's the link. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8578813

I have had fun placing it in different worlds and it is often slightly different in each one.

whoa. yay. Favorited so I can snag it right after installing ITF :p Thank you @Karritz !!