Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you always make basements in your houses?

Iwhen you all make lots for your sims or legacy families do you include basements and what stuff do you guys put?

I play with legacy family The Reeds as they have legacy house - called The Reed Legacy lol and i made super huge basement had like music studio, gym/sauna/kitchen/family area/laundry and hidden room for family vault

But after saw the basement clutters pics and the basement i was like that is perfect basement to have ,so i did my basement and smaller and cozier still now

Comments

• Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2023
    I’ve probably made like 2 basements total and those were on small 20x15 lots. My Sims needed more space I didn’t want to make an upstairs, so I made a basement for the teenager instead. Bathroom, laundry, bedroom, kitchenette, hangout space… it was pretty nice.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,848 Member
    I went through a brief basement phase a few years ago but at the time I was just modifying existing builds. It's harder to put a basement in someones else's build than it is to do it when you're building from scratch. I think that's why I kind of got over the urge and I haven't really thought about them very much until I saw this thread. It's something I might try again, in the right circumstances now that I'm doing so many of my own builds.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I never made a basement, and I actually remove all the stuff that is in the basement (including the stairs) if I download a lot from an other player, because I hate losing my sim. Call me weird, but I only play on single story lots.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    I have a large single story lot with a basement. I use it mainly for collections and large objects. The florist bench, workbench, candle making station, fabricator, cupcake machine, etc.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    For a while I was adding basements and/or attics too all my houses, but that stopped after I figured out I could just drag the more rarely used junk up into the roof.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    SanniSilliSanniSilli Posts: 164 Member
    I have one build with a basement... They could be handy at times but I really don't like to play with them - it's so dark down there 😅

• Options
    PuzzlingMysteryPuzzlingMystery Posts: 154 Member
    I don't always make basements, actually, with my played households, I only have three houses that have basements.

And what stuff goes into them? Well...
    One basement has: A bar, gym equipment, a piano, a microscope, an easel and the video game motion mat thing, Oh! Almost forgot the bed where the ghost sleeps!

The second basement has: a couch and television and radio; a bathroom, a computer and desk, bookcases, video game motion mat thing, card game table. Also has a child activity table. Guitar.

And the third basement: there's a bathroom, and a room that has gym equipment, there are bookcases, sofas, two computers, a video game motion mat thing, a card game table, a chess table, criminal career reward objects, and stolen things on display, and paintings that one the sims that live there painted.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2023
    Really depends on the world and what lot I'm building or renovating. It can also be a pain adding a basement to an already existing building. I'm more likely to build a fake garage that's used for things that don't fit anywhere else.

I like to use basements for laundry, skill building, collections, underground greenhouse, or secrets. >:)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    My Underground Bunker has a basement and my Doctor Who's TARDIS home has 2 basements. ;)
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I have made underground homes but those are nicely furnished, comfortable basements.

Sometimes I make basements (or attics) to store collectibles or photographs.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I have some basements but not all houses get basements as a rule, depends on the house and the story I want to tell. The church building has a large crypt network in the basement, the castle has a dungeon and butler's quarters, a large uni house has a walkout basement with modern kitchen, laundry, bathroom, spare room, etc. The basement clutter kit is only useful for the aged and broken aesthetic, not sure I would build a basement just to display those items there.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2023
    I do make lots of basements

but I try to avoid doing that as much as possible if theres any way to do the thing above ground I most likely will

I also often make it point to myself that normal house basement should not extend beyond the building outline above

ofcourse occult tunnels ruins tombs crash sites and such may break the rule at times but like just general rule that I should not build my castles underground theres plenty room above for that if I so desire :lol:
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    kerryemmiebethkerryemmiebeth Posts: 400 Member
    If I build basements I often use them for the pre-made rooms that you can get when you achieve the top of a career. I also use basements for skill building. The only exception is the really small house in Copperdale (LaSuli Point). I turned the floor level of the house into a kitchen, dining room, livinig room, bathroom and study. I then created a MASSIVE multilevel basement which not only including the bedrooms but all the pre-built rooms available to me in the catalogue. It is in my legacy save and still has a bit more room to grow.
  • Options
    RPGTabbycatRPGTabbycat Posts: 48 Member
    My wealthy sims have them. It's a good place to put the butler. If you have a pool you can use the pool walls to add windows to basement rooms.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    I love basements, so most of my houses have one. But I don't have much use for them, so they usually end up with a laundry room, extra washroom and a lounge.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I don't really like basements because I hate them in real life and I also hate that there is no window light. I'm obsessed with window light so I will build up before I build down. However, I usually end up making basements for my apocalyptic builds because It just seems fitting and my paranoid sim loves the basement. 😆
    And I have one basement I use and an abandoned underground subway/ secret night club that sims are living in.
    But I generally don't like to go deeper than one floor.
    That reminds me of when my sister would go 4 basement floors deep on a 64×64 lot just to increase space 😂😂😂😭😭😭☠
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I most often put basements in my builds, but not always. The area I grew up in has homes that have basements so it is what I am familiar with. I use them mainly for storage, putting holiday decorations and shelves for storage. I also use them for storage of canned goods, now that we have canning in the game. A basement is great for expanding your home as well, and I will add a family room, laundry room, or others if I need to. And of course, the basement is perfect spot for my spellcasters to have a cauldron and items needed for making potions!
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I most often put basements in my builds, but not always. The area I grew up in has homes that have basements so it is what I am familiar with. I use them mainly for storage, putting holiday decorations and shelves for storage. I also use them for storage of canned goods, now that we have canning in the game. A basement is great for expanding your home as well, and I will add a family room, laundry room, or others if I need to. And of course, the basement is perfect spot for my spellcasters to have a cauldron and items needed for making potions!

Yes, @maggiemae8135 I use basements in much the same way.

I like to put basements into my houses. I grew up in the Midwest and it seemed like all the older houses had basements. I quite like them. They are a must for my Vampires, of course, and my Werewolves usually have a room in the basement to be locked up when necessary. Some of my basements are very simple, but many are quite elaborate, especially for my Vampires. I tend to go over board with them. :/ I made one smallish house for Batuu where I went completely mad with my 2 level basement; it is waaaay too busy and full of stuff. The weekly bills are dreadful for that one.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    I grew up in a house with a basement (of the stone and cement variety, not a "finished" one) which was a totally normal thing in my area. We used it for storage and my dad's woodworking workshop. I loved being down there. It was cool and it smelled earthy, like a cave. So basements are kind of nostalgic for me.

However, I don't "always" make basements in my sim houses. It depends on the type of house, and the need for one. Vampires usually get one. So do paranoid sims. And households with more than two or three sims often get basements just for the added space. Houses that look like they ought to have a basement (because of the style of house they are) get one. And if I want to add more rooms after the lot has been in use for a while, but I don't want to change the look of the lot on the surface, basements are a great way to expand while keeping the surface lot the same.

My favorite sim "house with a basement" is the underground bunker I built for my paranoid loner alien. For him, everything is underground, and he loves it.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I only make basements when needed. When I do, I put stuff like sims in there as basements are often made when room for more sims is needed in small houses.
  • Options
    ZerelthZerelth Posts: 35 Member
    I usually build a basement if I have a reason to, such as a secret agent sim or a criminal sim. Otherwise I build over ground.
    xn2jilzetfiu.pngshe/her
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I love basements and when I get houses from the gallery I usually favor buildings with basements but it's not a deal-breaker if I like the overall house though. I just feel that basements are quite useful especially for Sims that are in certain careers (f.i. science career) to have their own space. It is also good to have space for hobby stations and even gives more living area for my Sims.

The building I am playing now came with a basement (off the gallery). It is situated (and created) for the Gibbs neighborhood in Britechester and is a roommate/sorority kind of a building and in the basement is storage, washing/dryer room, an extra bathroom and a social area with seating, bar and the ping pong table along with the bar dart round thingie and also the video game mat. There is also the research machine that one of my Sims got maxing the debate team membership. I love this area of the build and my students that live there use this area quite a bit.

I have also created basements in buildings already in world and did you know that it is possible to position and have a functioning ladders underneath traditional stairs? I did that with one of the Maxis build houses and put the bedrooms of all the teens (well two of them) with a small livingroom area and a bathroom.
  • Options
    fazemanpressfazemanpress Posts: 206 Member
    After reading everyone's amazing posts about basements its a 50/50 thing in the game. Im from Canada and in all houses basements are premade.

For the sims - i find it have basement - cause not enough room upstairs - i make like family area with a kitchen or somethings a music room - for the sims to relax, or gym with sauna. I keep remodeling my house i got from sims game Commodus residence i think its called? and called the Reed legacy - and few of the family members use the same house but change it to their likings.
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I use them sometimes if I have a lot of activities that I want my sims doing, especially with big objects like the microscope. I hate having the stuff on my main living floors.
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    My wealthy sims have them. It's a good place to put the butler. If you have a pool you can use the pool walls to add windows to basement rooms.

I tend to use them for the butlers room too, also its usually where I put the gym. I like to add windows looking into the pool too. Although Im a big fan of window wells to create light also (I either use a glass roofpiece to create a flooring or make the window well 3 tiles wide and add the big Blooming Rooms plant thingie as the bars on top look like a safety feature!).

Im currently playing with a vamp mum and 3 kids and even though the house is well decorated they all live in 2 storey basement downstairs! It even has an underground pool for the mermaid kid!LOL