Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to sell books in bookstore?

If i make custom bookstore and place it in community lot (retail) an add bookshelves - can the sims still buy the books individiually? cause in sims 3 it was easier they go to the bookstore (rabbit hole) and click on what they want

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I'm not sure but I think if you place bookshelves on a retail lot your sims will be buying bookshelves.

Have you tried ordering books from the computer?

• Options
    fazemanpressfazemanpress Posts: 206 Member
    I'm not sure but I think if you place bookshelves on a retail lot your sims will be buying bookshelves.

Have you tried ordering books from the computer?

I thought that also if place shelves they would buy that not like an actual book? so maybe order books from online and sell them that way eh? as i wanted to add the Classic bookstore from Sunset valley so was thinking best option to have running book store? unless as you mentioned order books online?

i will try that - thanks
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    There are special book display cases that you use for a bookstore. It's been a while since I set up my bookstore, but I know I bought the book display shelves, then set the books on the display shelves and set them for sale.

What I can't remember is whether I had to buy a big heap of books in BB and set them out on the display cases one by one, or whether I was able to click on the display shelves to choose books to put on them. At this point, Mortimer's employees have just been restocking the original books for ages.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited March 2023
    Individual books can be set for sale in retail. You can find the books in BB. Sorry I don't remember the cheat code it's been a while, bb.showhiddenobjects maybe?

My problem was that when my author sim tried selling her written books in retail, those would not stay on the shelf when she left the lot, but were returned to her inventory. A different kind of problem, but wondering if anyone had tips on this one?
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    edited March 2023
    I usually enslave my writer Sims to write books and put them in a bookstore for sale.
  • Options
    Ziafar wrote: »
    I usually enslave my writer Sims to write books and put them in a bookstore for sale.

oh really? i wanted to sell like cook books or skills books
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I have a shop that sells the magic spells books. The issue with the bookstore shelves, is like all shelves in this game, there's not enough slots on them to display books for sale.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    There are special book display cases that you use for a bookstore. It's been a while since I set up my bookstore, but I know I bought the book display shelves, then set the books on the display shelves and set them for sale.

What I can't remember is whether I had to buy a big heap of books in BB and set them out on the display cases one by one, or whether I was able to click on the display shelves to choose books to put on them. At this point, Mortimer's employees have just been restocking the original books for ages.

I'm pretty sure you can find them in the debug menu. You just have to make sure you're getting the ones with actual titles.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

I have a thought. It may work...
    If you have bb.moveobjects on, you can have a few tables or shelves where you want the books displayed ready. (I'll go with table for my description, should work identical with shelves.)

Have a table, put as many books on it as you can. The books will 'lock' to the table. Remember where the table is. Then move the books off the table to where there is nothing to lock to. The books will be in mid-air. Move the table away, then using Alt, position the books where the table was, nicely laid out like you want. Then move the table back.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    If you have bb.moveobjects on, you can have a few tables or shelves where you want the books displayed ready. (I'll go with table for my description, should work identical with shelves.)

Have a table, put as many books on it as you can. The books will 'lock' to the table. Remember where the table is. Then move the books off the table to where there is nothing to lock to. The books will be in mid-air. Move the table away, then using Alt, position the books where the table was, nicely laid out like you want. Then move the table back.

so i order regular books via the phone? and place those or duplicate them? as rabbit holes bookstores were easierto do lol
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    edited March 2023
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

so i order regular books via the phone? and place those or duplicate them? as rabbit holes bookstores were easierto do lol

I'm assuming if it's a 'retail' venue, then your Sims can 'restock' the books after being bought like anything else.

Just be careful when clicking on a book not to move your mouse or it will 'snap' to the table or shelf. An alternative to using an actual table or shelf could be a 'sculpture' or a "clutter" or even a debug item like was mentioned before that looks like a table and is the same height. But always have a table and/or shelf nearby to place the books, then move to where you actually want them.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    graecyngraecyn Posts: 7 New Member
    Is it possible to create a bookstore to sell things at? Like you would a bakery or something for instance?
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    graecyn wrote: »
    Is it possible to create a bookstore to sell things at? Like you would a bakery or something for instance?
    Yes but you need Get to Work expansion pack, it comes with a retail system.