Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Selling paintings - how to organize it?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,660 Member
My painting sim added a bunch of paintings she created to walls of a community lot.
When playing other households, they can visit the exhibition and buy a painting. The money is correctly drawn from their cash balance.
I checked whether the artist was earning the same amount, but no - her cash balance is unchanged.
It's been very long since the exhibition opened, but the game still knows who has the ownership to the works. Although the artist moved out from her parents house, her mother could visit the exhibition and could still grab the works for free. She could not buy them. So, if the paintings are connected to the household rather than the artist, I don't understand why the household's cash balance is not affected when other sims buy the paintings.

Is there a way that the painting artist can actually be paid for selling works through a "gallery"? I know we have the street sale object, but as long as the other sims can still buy her works from the gallery wall (without the use of the street sale wall object) I don't understand how this opportunity to run a business was neglected on the artist's side.

I solve it by adding the money manually to her cash balance, but I wish this could be designed a bit smarter...

How would you solve it?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    Who owns the gallery? I think they should receive money in their account for everything they sell when they next visit the lot.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    If you have Nifty Knitting you can sell paintings on Plopsy. That's what I do with my artists and photographers. It's not the same as doing it your way but your sim can make money. Maybe you could have the exhibition and then sell on Plopsy. You could pretend other sims saw your sim's work and decided to reach out to buy?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    My painting sim added a bunch of paintings she created to walls of a community lot.
    When playing other households, they can visit the exhibition and buy a painting. The money is correctly drawn from their cash balance.
    I checked whether the artist was earning the same amount, but no - her cash balance is unchanged.
    It's been very long since the exhibition opened, but the game still knows who has the ownership to the works. Although the artist moved out from her parents house, her mother could visit the exhibition and could still grab the works for free. She could not buy them. So, if the paintings are connected to the household rather than the artist, I don't understand why the household's cash balance is not affected when other sims buy the paintings.

Is there a way that the painting artist can actually be paid for selling works through a "gallery"? I know we have the street sale object, but as long as the other sims can still buy her works from the gallery wall (without the use of the street sale wall object) I don't understand how this opportunity to run a business was neglected on the artist's side.

I solve it by adding the money manually to her cash balance, but I wish this could be designed a bit smarter...

How would you solve it?
    I wonder! Cheat money, buy that lot, now you own it right? So you should get the money. Just a thought I don't know for sure it will work.
    I didn't think about the retail option. Make a retail lot and have your sim buy it and sell painting there. Make it it look like an art gallery.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,660 Member
    edited March 2023
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Who owns the gallery? I think they should receive money in their account for everything they sell when they next visit the lot.

It's a regular community lot. No owner. But I might try this, exhibiting at an owned community lot just to see how it works :).
    If you have Nifty Knitting you can sell paintings on Plopsy. That's what I do with my artists and photographers. It's not the same as doing it your way but your sim can make money. Maybe you could have the exhibition and then sell on Plopsy. You could pretend other sims saw your sim's work and decided to reach out to buy?

Yea, I like Plopsy, but some paintings I'd like other sims to have in their homes. Selling them on Plopsy they get deleted, I think.
    Behappy1st wrote: »

How would you solve it?
    I wonder! Cheat money, buy that lot, now you own it right? So you should get the money. Just a thought I don't know for sure it will work.

Well, the Casbah Gallery is also an At school, and the lot includes High Court as well as the parliament, LOL, so it can't be bought by a sim. Anyway, I run changing exhibitions there, so it would feel better if the gallery is a general place rather than owned by one artist. To have a sales exhibition there the artists will mostly paint with a theme, ie motifs from Selvadorada or by reference food - or a color - or whatever. There is a formal opening, and then most ex hibitions will hang for a full year (because I can't tend to it more often).
  • FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    I like the retail lot suggestion. That's a feature I haven't touched in years but sounds like a viable option in this case.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Yea, I like Plopsy, but some paintings I'd like other sims to have in their homes. Selling them on Plopsy they get deleted, I think.
    [/quote]

I wonder if the Sim themselves have to own a business that you can put their exhibition in. Like a retail store. Interesting thread, I never thought of doing this. I guess if you wanted you could have them 'gift' the painting, but that wouldn't get them cash.

"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    Since you have City Living, how about the portable art gallery object? You tend it like a sales table.
    I like the gallery to be an event place, the changing exhibitions to be an activity all houses can access if they like to. I see this can be done even if it is a retail lot, or if the lot is owned by one sim, as long as it is a community lot. I have a gallery owned and run by a sim in another hood, but that mainly sells game painting objects and other deco. Seems like all options (except retail) might require money cheats. Well, as I plan to have several artists showing off their work, there must be some money cheat between artist/gallery owner anyway, but I can handle that as long as I find a routine.

Enjoying reading suggestions! It's interesting that the selling point can be done in multiple ways. The exhib. event side can probably e dealt with in several ways, too. Painting from reference is harder to sell/delete than he default motifs.
    Since you have City Living, how about the portable art gallery object? You tend it like a sales table.

Yup, it's an option. But I prefer the gallery to be a bit more posh than that. Vernissage with champagne and speeches seems a bit odd when using the street sale objects ;)

I typically don't worry about where the paintings/photos go after they've been sold, just that my sim made money. If you go the retail store route, they don't keep the items in their inventory either. I do think I saw a mod that made it more like TS2 (where sims kept their purchases in their inventory) a while back but I can't remember where or when I saw it. I'm also not sure if it's ever been updated. It was probably a Pleasant Sims video on YouTube.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member

Yup, it's an option. But I prefer the gallery to be a bit more posh than that. Vernissage with champagne and speeches seems a bit odd when using the street sale objects ;)

I see :) Sounds like fun. Yeah, I hope a retail lot will do what you have in mind.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2023
    If you don't have an owner for the gallery, do you have a sim who is, in your head canon, the manager/curator/director of the gallery? If so, you could have your artists gift their paintings to that sim, and in exchange, the director could gift them with simoleans. Then any funds that come from the paintings when they are sold at the gallery could go back into either upgrades for the gallery, or donated to one of the online charities related to the arts.

This is similar to what I do with Mortimer Goth and his bookstore. All of my writer sims gift extra copies of their novels to him, he gives them simoleans in return, and then he sells the copies at the bookstore. It works reasonably well, or at least it would if we could give more than one gift at a time.

So far, most of my artists either have their own gallery, or are trying to save up for one. But I have thought about using the same system to have one of my art critic sims buy a gallery and sell paintings from different sims.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited March 2023
    joRN1414 wrote: »

I wonder if the Sim themselves have to own a business that you can put their exhibition in. Like a retail store. Interesting thread, I never thought of doing this. I guess if you wanted you could have them 'gift' the painting, but that wouldn't get them cash.

[/quote]

I think you can give people money, so you could just have the person who was gifted the painting go over to who painted it and gift them money. I assuming that will show up for real. Many of mine sell theirs through Plopsy, but I think there is an item in City living that you can put your painted items on and sell them at the flea market. I wonder if it would work at the market place ( eco living ), community lot too…. However they may not really show up in the inventory of who bought it. Then again if you had a retail store and sell them, you could put them up for sale, go home and then send the person you wanted to buy it, in to buy it.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    In one save I definitely owned an art gallery via GTW. It was fun. I might need to do that again. I need to use businesses much more frequently than I currently do.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    If you don't have an owner for the gallery, do you have a sim who is, in your head canon, the manager/curator/director of the gallery? If so, you could have your artists gift their paintings to that sim, and in exchange, the director could gift them with simoleans. Then any funds that come from the paintings when they are sold at the gallery could go back into either upgrades for the gallery, or donated to one of the online charities related to the arts.

This is similar to what I do with Mortimer Goth and his bookstore. All of my writer sims gift extra copies of their novels to him, he gives them simoleans in return, and then he sells the copies at the bookstore. It works reasonably well, or at least it would if we could give more than one gift at a time.

So far, most of my artists either have their own gallery, or are trying to save up for one. But I have thought about using the same system to have one of my art critic sims buy a gallery and sell paintings from different sims.

Love this for a bookstore! I'm actually planning a media house including a bookstore, but never really came to building it. Never explored the copying of written books etc, sounds fun to keep all local works at one place. It could probably work in a similar way with paintings.

Re gifting money - money transfers is my least problem. I note transfers in a spreadsheet, then I adjust their cash balance the next time I stop by their lot, if needed. That way I don't need to load several lots just to transfer money. In other words - my sims have bank accounts.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2023
    Never explored the copying of written books etc, sounds fun to keep all local works at one place.

Oh, I have several author sims, and the first thing I always have them do is make several copies of each book before I send it to the publisher. I mean, obviously they need their own copy to keep! But I like to also have them give copies to their parents, siblings, children, best friends, etc. And then of course, a copy to the bookstore for Mortimer to keep reprinting and restocking. I keep meaning to put copies in the libraries, but I've forgotten.

It's a fun touch to have my sims read each others books. But also, I have a lot of bookworm sims, and they would run out of new books to read very quickly if my writers didn't keep churning out new ones.

It's fun, too, because I like to have each writer sim specialize in a genre: children's books, political thrillers, YA sci fi/fantasy, historical romances,... Bjorn Bjergsen writes incredibly dreary poetry and plays. Same goes for my painters; they switch things up while they are building skill, but later on, I have them each specialize in 1-2 favorite types of painting.

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    @Amapola76 love your ideas. Time to cultivate some writers and open a bookstore.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

You can have an owner for an Art Gallery venue lot? :o:o:o:o:o:o

I didn't know that! If so, that's friggy awesome!!! B)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Admiral8Q wrote: »

Not really an art gallery, but an art shop. Paintings can be admired no matter where they are displayed and not all paintings need to be for sale anyway.

Not really an art gallery, but an art shop. Paintings can be admired no matter where they are displayed and not all paintings need to be for sale anyway.

So basically a retail venue that sells paintings?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Yes. :smile:

Yes. :smile:

Cool.

I suppose you could do this with any crafted items then. I should open up a Knife-Block & Horse Sculpture Mart retail store. :D

Seriously though, sounds fun, I'll have to try a crafted item only retail store. I did sell paintings that way among other stuff, but they were the ones you buy in build mode.
    So technically the item could not be restocked then? Would have to keep checking and putting up new stuff.

I have the "Live-in" mod, Retail Store is one you can do. So having the equipment for crafting whatever right there and living in the store could be interesting and fun. Kind-of an 'old-fashion' personal store rather than a corporate empire franchise. Hmm... :smiley:
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png