Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life By You/ Paradox Tectonic [How to Manage a Household. PG. 5]

1235...Next

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    You know what bothers me?

It bugs me that Spring, let alone Summer, aren't here yet, but I am already looking forward to Autumn. :D
    On the bright side, this might make my two favorite seasons (Spring and Summer) feel longer.
    But man, the wait for Starfield and LBY early access is going to feel extra long.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

It bugs me that Spring, let alone Summer, aren't here yet, but I am already looking forward to Autumn. :D
    On the bright side, this might make my two favorite seasons (Spring and Summer) feel longer.
    But man, the wait for Starfield and LBY early access is going to feel extra long.

Ya, I agree. It's gonna seem like forever. :(
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Article from yesterday.

Life by You is trying to shake up life sims with a greater sense of freedom

The studio’s first release, Life by You, was officially unveiled last week ahead of the annual Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. It looks similar to The Sims but with a few important differences. For one thing, in place of the iconic (and fictional) Simlish, Life by You utilizes a procedurally generated real-language system for dialogue. It’s also a much more in-depth simulation. According to Humble, every single character in the game’s fictional city is fully simulated. They have jobs, homes, relationships, and the same basic needs as your own player character (i.e., they need to eat, sleep, and pee).

“The whole town is being simulated in real-time, with every individual having the same attributes as you do,” Humble explained. “We call that the principle of equivalency. What that allows us to do is, when you see someone in the world, they are operating on the same rules you are — so they need to eat and drink, they’ve got a house where they live — and you can right-click on anyone you see and then play them. You get access to all of their memories, their likes and dislikes, their relationships.”

More here:
    https://www.theverge.com/23658650/life-by-you-interview-rod-humble-sims-gdc-2023
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

On the bright side, it's almost April, so we're almost down to 5 months 🥳

Especially when you consider that they teased LBY during the March 6 event and did the announcement two weeks from that time
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    https://youtu.be/0JeFEQZBEY8
    I hope the are really going after character and behavioral depth and traits that really matter.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    edited April 2023
    I can see why LBY's target audience will be older. Teens and college students will usually not be able to afford a computer that meets LBY's recommended specs. Since I'm an old fart who can afford it, I am excited to see a company who is willing to give me the features in a simulation game that I've always wanted. B)

I believe the life simulation genre is going to find that there are a lot more adults who enjoy playing these types of games then a lot of people realize. :o
    I remember begging for this at the end of the sims 2.
    Announcement_Event_Life_by_You.mp4_snapshot_02.48_2023.04.06_22.08.39_.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Building on the half-grid.
    Hopefully that wall can also be pushed outward by a half as well so you can have this shallow bump in.

If they can also do curved walls without janky ceilings, I will be a very happy builder.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited April 2023
    The more I read about Paradox the less interested I am in this game.

It’s a bit alarming that none of the youtube ‘journalists’ always banging on about EA’s business have brought anything up about Paradox’s shady DLC practices or that 80% women there have reported workplace harrassment and CEOs have been forced to resign over inappropriate relationships. I feel like YouTube would have a meltdown if Sims teams behaved like this.

It seems like there’s a lot of double standards in the reporting on this and on Sims. Everything EA announces is met with scepticism and everything this announces is met with ‘oh that’s so amazing’. I’m not hearing that the base game needs to have pets and weather and deep relationship systems and baby changing tables yet if this is their expectations of the sims why do other games get a free pass? Is paradox paying these creators?

I’m sure this will all come when the honeymoon period is over though, I guess atm it’s more profitable to hype it.
    Post edited by JustinB113 on
  • gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    edited April 2023
    I've pre-ordered just because I am quite interested in what Rod has to bring to the life-sim genre. Am I going to abandon The Sims? No.

I don't see Life By You being the 'Sims killer' that a lot of people have been saying. The Sims is literally part of pop culture, it's iconic and has a really strong identity due to its humour and character. It will take A LOT for a game to dethrone it, and there is only a slight chance it would happen if they blow Project Rene.

A problem I see with Life By You is I think it is going to have a lack of character and quirkiness, its own identity. Some people may like that hyper-realistic style which is great for them but a big deal why I play The Sims is it's parody on real life. I know some quirky stuff will likely be added by mods but it's not the same as official content. I'm still really excited for early access though :smiley:
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

https://youtu.be/3YftM_WqkhE
    I am really looking forward to trying out this game.
    I don't know how much Paradox Tectonic is diving into programing like ChatGPT, but the do seem very aware of it.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited April 2023
    rjssim wrote: »
    rjssim wrote: »
    I wonder if we can only play in one world with Life by You or if we can go to multiple worlds. This is one thing I really love about TS4, more so than having an open world and not being able to travel to other worlds. TS4 has many worlds, and being able to travel to them just adds so much excitement to the game. I wouldn't want to give that up if we are confined to one world just to have an open world.

For Sims 3 I had to play Sunset Valley for a couple of years before I got a PC that could cope with the expansion packs. I still have a great time playing the world.

I don’t mind one world 🌍 on launch.

TS4 worlds need sorting. I don’t like everyone being able to travel. Such as vampires visiting desert worlds, Henford folks strolling round San MyShuno etc.

Each to our own, but to me, it would just get so bland and boring to just be confined to one world. Being able to travel to all the worlds in TS4 just adds so much more for storytelling. I don't mind the NPCs traveling wherever they want myself. It just adds more opportunities to meet different characters for my story. Of course, if we can have an open world and travel to different worlds like we can in TS4, then that would just be awesome.

@rjssim I always had a similar plan for TS5. I have seen people say whether they want open or closed world and I figured we could have an open world (of reasonable size) and have the ability to seamlessly travel to other worlds so we can expand the places to visit. I think this is fair to both sides.

Ya, I agree. It's gonna seem like forever. :(

Now that I think about it, that's a really negative attitude for me to take. :p

It should be Spring is here and Summer is next. YAY! :)
    And then when Summer is over, two games I am looking forward to are coming out. YAY! :D