Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Investigate!

A reality TV show inspired by competitions like Let’s Dance.

Backstory:

Eight locally famous candidates will temporarily join the Detroit Police Department and get randomly assigned an experienced detective as their partner. Eliminations depend on how well the celebs solve their cases (jury points) and manage to endear themselves to the audience (follower votes).
The show will take place in a fictional Detroit in 2051. Thirteen years ago magic has returned to the world, resulting in all kinds of occults existing now and even some non-occult sims wielding minor supernatural powers.
Occults in my lore are about as rare as celebrities in real life – not unheard of, but still exciting and/or scary when you meet one face to face. Since many of my played sims have become occults, supernatural sims are almost guaranteed to appear in a greater number than the global statistic suggests during this challenge. Detroit in particular has a large number of sentient androids.

24.02.23_00-39-08s0cql.png

Half of the candidates are Sims 4 premades, the other half adoptees from Detroit: Become Human. Introductions in the next post!

Mechanics:

Episodes will get “filmed” both at the default police station, using the detective career mechanics, and at my custom residential police station. Think of the residential one as the DPD central station, and the EA one as one of the city’s smaller precincts.
The participants are already played sims with skills and bonus trait, therefore, just like in real life, some of them will have an easier time with the tasks than others.

Schedule:

Introduction

Get to know show (win an immunity ticket)
Reception desk duty and writing a report
Mingle with the detectives to form pairs

Elimination rounds 1-6

In no particular order:

Patrol
Cafeteria duty
Prisoner handling
Crime scene
Arrest & Interrogation
Paranormal gig

Finale

Solve a whole case (or maybe I’ll have a better idea until then)

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    JUDITH
    e028327f9292e9bcc9a930e9f5074d1e05042ded.png

Name: Judith Ward
    Occult status: Mundane
    Occupation/Signature skill: Actress/Acting

What are you famous for?

Where do I start… Imagine your Captain Reed, only successful. Or your Captain Anderson, only competent. And way more evil than both combined. A-ha-ha-ha! Of course I’m also a seasoned thespian, so take what I said with a grain of salt. I’m just playing a role, but I play it pretty 🐸🐸🐸🐸 well. Because I’m just that pretty. And probably also 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

Any previous experience with the police?

Oh, darling! Plenty! They were only too eager to help spread my reputation.
    I think my third or fourth hubbie was a cop of sorts, too. Or was that a wife? Or whoever I cheated on hubby with? I don’t know the details anymore, but if you watch this, sweeties, let me assure you that we had a wonderful time together!

Could you imagine doing this job in real life?

I can play any role, but would I also want this one? Doubtful.

MARKUS
    a1e70f94ced8fb3bf15c60234dd91bfa3b40f77e.png

Name: Markus Manfred
    Occult status: Android
    Occupation/Signature skill: Charity Organizer/Piano

What are you famous for?

I was the leader of the android rights movement. Well, I still am, but nowadays it’s not that important anymore. With the systemic prejudice gone, we’ve moved past the need for activism.

Naturally. What stuck in mind was that one officer, who immediately came to my aid when an anti-android mob attacked me, but later the same month he came to our home in response to a burglary, found me in a brawl with the burglar and immediately opened fire on the “malfunctioning machine”. That taught me that being human means we sometimes follow our hearts, but other times we act almost instinctively in the role we’re filling out. You always have to take the situation into account before hastily judging somebody.

No, for the same reason an activist should never go into politics. International superspy, to the contrary… hm, tempting!

CHLOE
    4235579a35ec3b03f0ec29438a6287e86768e43b.png

Name: Chloe Kamski
    Occult status: Android
    Occupation/Signature skill: Scientist/Writing

What are you famous for?

I am the first android who passed the Turing test, but quite honestly that isn’t my own achievement. It happened before I woke up to full sapience and is simply the result of my creator’s superior coding skills.

Not myself, but my creator occasionally had visits from the police, that I sometimes couldn’t help but overhear.

Not really. I enjoy organizing things, so that would be a plus, but I’m also a scientist with all my heart, always looking for new and different ways to accomplish things. But you can’t just say “Yes, this person is the guilty party, now let’s find four more who could have done it” or give them tips how to more successfully commit their crime next time.

ORANGE
    313c4c8320b354ca65020fe5b2394a8088d19314.png

Name: Orange Bailey-Moon
    Occupation/Signature skill: Professional heir/Bodybuilding

What are you famous for?

I inherited my fame from my parents, so nothing really. But I’ve come to enjoy this lifestyle, so I prolly need to do something to make me famous in my own right now, right? This competition will be the start.

Nope. That wasn’t the kind of publicity my family wanted.

I’d do a lot to avoid working, so, yes, if pressed to earn money somehow, I’d consider joining the police.

(That last remark caused quite some uproar in social media. Turned out that by “working” he meant an office or factory job.)

AMBER
    3cd662912e0e4bb09a3d2c4826dc8069ff1bc62f.png

Name: Amber Stein
    Occupation/Signature skill: Actress/Comedy

What are you famous for?

Whatever I answer now would be a lie. We all know that I won’t ever be able to escape this one gameplay trailer I starred in for Electronic Arts – “Here comes Amber! She’s the girl next door! Oh, so quirky!” It sounded fun and I needed the money, but it really tanked my credibility.

I once played a detective, but I’m told that isn’t comparable to real policework, so during this challenge I should maybe do the exact opposite of what my role would have done, haha!

I can read people and manipulate emotions, so maybe? The problem is that the job sounds fun, and that’s probably not a good mindset for a police officer to have. Crime fighting is serious.

EMMA
    17e7e0cd2db8b397a7648d579b1c8b1a9174a1ae.png

Name: Emma Phillips
    Occult status: Spellcaster
    Occupation/Signature skill: Law student/Piano

What are you famous for?

A few compositions for the electronic keyboard, having been in a college musical, commercials and even an episode of The Urbz. I thought that was just part of the college experience, nothing that would make one famous or win awards! But here we are.

It’s a family thing for me. My godfather used to be the janitor at the DPD central station, and he married a detective. The DPD is infamous for its infighting, but tell you what, in reality they’re a close-knit bunch, so I couldn’t help being around cops ever since I was ten. Think of me as the celeb with the unfair advantage, who shouldn’t even be participating in this show!

I know too much about it to want that. A career partnering with the DPD would be more up my alley, like Social Worker.

HUGO
    61d45939dfd9ff00a3a5b9fb4000666b4b7e3933.png

Name: Hugo Villareal
    Occupation/Signature skill: Chef/Cooking and Juice Fizzing

What are you famous for?

I own several star rated restaurants, including Real Upscale 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and Urban Experience. But I really want to make a name for myself, so I’m learning from all my chefs.

They say Villareal isn’t a name, but a diagnosis. Or maybe a life sentence. Yes, growing up I witnessed all the “Hello, we have a few questions”s and the hush-ups, but unlike my siblings I never got in trouble myself.

Maybe I should consider it. You see, ever since pre-teenhood I was so focused on becoming a world famous chef, that I missed out on many things, both in education and socialization. I’m here to branch out more, become a more well-rounded person.

GREG
    b033e11966482080ab79c98051173f75eda2c09e.png

Name: Cailean “Greg” Greig
    Occult status: Werewolf
    Occupation/Signature skill: Constable/Athletics

What are you famous for?

Was first werewolf in current age of magic. Is bogus, though, cuzz was bitten by werewolf, so can’t be first. More precisely Greg is first werewolf made from human. Wasn’t good for Greg’s brain, sadly.

The 🐸🐸🐸🐸 from Detroit? Bit two of them, forgot which ones, but they became fated mates, so was very romantic! Maybe already have little cub by now?

Greg protecc. Always. Is already constable of Moonwood Mill. But detective work is different. Also in big city. Exciting!

Note on werewolf lore:
    I do not use the EA werewolf lore. In mine werewolves happen when a vampire bites a wolf or dog, and werewolves in turn can infect humans (but the latter aren’t mentally stable, except if they find their Fated Mate). Every Moonwood Mill werewolf (including Celene and Lux) is descended from the sawmill’s guard dogs. The youngest generation is very involved with the modern world, they have college degrees and own shares of the mines, sawmills and botany research station.
    Greg is a special case, he is the previous forewoman’s (Avelina Greig) son and is 20-25 years old. He got bitten thirteen years ago by an ancestor of the current days werewolves.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I'm running this show on my tumblr, but will leave links to the individual episodes here. Comments, fan- or hatemail for the candidates are welcome in this thread!

Episode 1

Poll for episode 1 is posted, but will unfortunately stay up for a single day only (the options being one day or one week). I hope readers who aren't registered at tumblr can vote, too (otherwise consider this thread obsolete).
    Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Update:

Episode 2 sent the contestents to investigate a crime scene with the help of their detective partner. It was expected that some would overlook clues or interpret them wrongly, but the DPD hadn't anticipated all the strange locations their "trainees" decided to get lost at. We need a private jet in our car park. Or better yet one of those nifty artificial wormholes that are getting invented at FutureLabs at the moment!

Episode 2 here

Poll closed

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Update:

Episode 3 was the patrol assignment, probably my favorite part of playing the detective career. As expected, it didn't disappoint. I got to document some cool scenes adding to my story and also a wide variety of outcomes gameplay-wise, from a total loss for the poor sim who got sent to Sulani, to one sim who was able to issue a whopping ten citations.

Documentation here

Poll closed
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Update:

Episode 4 is short, but covers an important task: cafteria duty. For the first time in this mini challenge I didn't use a detective career mechanic, but group cooking and the club system.

Documentation here

Poll closed
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Update:

Episode 5 is short, too. It covers routine police station tasks and the contestants really got into character. Not in a good way, though.

Documentation here

Poll closed

• Options
    Update:

Added a little interlude that is only of interest to longtime followers, but also added the prep-work for episode 6 - the contestants have to train in the Medium skill, because their next investigation will be a paranormal one!

Same link as episode 5 (posts are still tagged as ep5)
  • Options
    Update:

Episode 6 is posted and turned out to be my favorite so far. One of the contestants got called to remove a haunt from none other than the head of the department for paranormal investigations.

Episode here

Poll here
  • Options
    Update:

Only three sims are in the running, Sims 4 premades Orange Bailey-Moon and Greg, and my Detroit sim, Markus Manfred.

This time a glitch disrupted the police proceedings and one of the contestants who had already left the show additionally messed things up.

Episode here

Poll here
  • Options
    Update:

The finale was interesting (to me anyway). In the end the difference between the jury's favorite and the runner up was in a single simoleon the winner's written report (book) was worth more than the loser's.

Episode here

Poll here