Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whats up with the comment box?

Comments

• BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,404 Member

Agreed, I really wanted to post an update on my local color challenge tonight. I'm googling how to spoiler tag pictures on rich text box forums but nothing really helps. Can only wait for now

• ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member

Note to self: Get a book on RTF for dummies.

e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    edited February 2023

The only way I'm able to post pictures is if I right click on my image when I have the image box up on my imgur page like this and then click on 'Copy Image' and then paste here without using the 'Insert Media' box that the new system provides. When I do it this way, I can click on the image and it brings up a box that allows me to adjust the size from small, medium or large.

Float to the left.

Float to right------>

I don't like the fact that I don't see a 'Preview' option before we can decide to post our postings.

• GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2023

@Logion,nevermind. Sorry for the mixup.

@DreamPrincess, I've been trying to paste RTF language into the comments and it doesn't work either. I think the code is disabled:

{\field{\*\fldinst{HYPERLINK "https://www.google.com/"}}{\fldrslt{\ul

stuff

}}}

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,875 Member

@Gigge ,would this :

"if you right click on the image and copy and paste, it should show just the image without the extra Imgur stuff"

make those at sims forum server? like dragging and dropping? What EA_Cade said at page 3 , most likely wont last long?

Im not good at these, just asking to be sure.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2023
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member

Has someone tested what happens if we go edit old posts? I have a main post for my current challenge that I update with links to each of my daily posts and I don't want to touch that post if the formatting is going to get all messed up...

• DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    edited February 2023

So... trying to use the image link below to add an image with the cursor in a spoiler box does nothing at all. Using the media link below and posting the URL with the cursor in the spoiler box will post the picture above the spoiler. Typing a combination of text and pictures, highlighting it and using the paragraph symbol on the left to change it to spoiler creates a separate spoiler box for each section of text but leaves the pictures outside the spoilers.

I also want to figure out how to spoiler pictures.

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited February 2023

@DaniRose2143

Ah yes, the first part of my comment was about the direct link that didn’t seem to be working for you. The second part was a general note regarding an inability to copy paste and post multiple images via the insert media option. My apologies for the confusion! I blame the RTF system 😅 (and myself for being utterly confusing).

I believe this system works differently depending on which image host people use. Folks seem to be experiencing issues with Imgur whereas I have no trouble with my image Host as long as I use Direct Link.

I wonder what the reasoning behind this system replacement is? Oh, it certainly likes to believe it’s extremely user friendly, although right now, the opposite is true. Is it because the use of BB code is outdated? I didn’t think so, but it was certainly a lot simpler and more intuitive than what we’re left with at the moment.

The way I see it, this system is primarily designed for direct import of media or dragging and dropping images onto the comment box, which is fierce handy of-course as long as we’re actually allowed to use this feature, but once that’s been blocked for us because all our data will clog up the servers, the entire idea of this system becomes kind of redundant, at least with the way it currently behaves.

It’s not all bad though, it definitely has potential to be more user friendly than the previous system. In my opinion the main issue lies with the user interface, which is all over the place; text alignment; the now clunky image hosting; being unable to use formatting tools and place images inside the very much needed spoiler tag; plus the lack of a preview button. If that can get fixed, all will be handy & dandy-ish. 🥳

Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member

Here is the guide to using the rich editor (scroll down a little bit to Formatting overview), but how to put images in spoilers is a mystery to me.

https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/13-rich-editor

edited February 2023

Thanks, @haneul

The spoiler tag is referred to as “spoiler text” which leads me to believe that the placing of images inside a spoiler tag is not supported at this time.

From the guide:

While spoiler text is always visible when editing the post, it will automatically be collapsed when the post is published, until a user clicks to view it. This ensures that each user can decide whether or not to view the content.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I was trying to think of a possible work around. I've come up with nothing so far - I think we're stuck with images outside of spoilers and imgur images being small for now.

Yes, I’ve been learning code just to get it to work. No success so far. 😆

Vanilla also states that their Advanced Editor has been moved to maintenance status. Now I’m wondering if it will be available again at some point. Not that we have a say in the matter…

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member

Cade posted earlier that it was because the system was old and outdated.

Hopefully we will get some clarification later how we are supposed to use this new system and maybe they can improve how spoiler tags and images work, right now imgur links seems to make all the images embedded in a low quality imgur image which doesn't look good at all. We can upload pictures directly to the forums now, but I'm not sure that's a good idea? that makes me wonder how it's stored, who owns the image and how much data they have to handle.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,948 Member

Honestly if theres no fix to the image issues I'm going to have to say R.I.P to my stories all together 😐

I simply cannot with those imgur advertisement bars every picture it ruins the whole vibe

also i like adding things under spoiler at times or even spoilers inside spoilers when talking of top spoiler stuff or like say in my build thread i have this magnificient stack of spoilers and quotes that I am scared to edit now in case the bbcode falls apart 😅

also i still need to be able to center text because thats just so much cleaner and nicer to read

and also i am frustrated with not being able to quote only parts of posts to make quick reference

kind of hope we could just keep the bbcode really it was so much easier to use and had the functions this forum needs

⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    edited February 2023

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I sorted out my problem with not being able to delete an image. If I want to delete a picture I have to use Chrome. If I'm in Safari I can't delete a picture but I can delete text. Very odd, but okay, for now I use Chrome when I'm on the forum and I use Safari for everything else.

I'm really worried about the future of storytelling on here. If we can't hide images under spoiler tags it's going to change things drastically. SimLit is going to have to go offsite entirely, that or severely limit the number of pictures which puts a real damper on the fun of SimLit. Surely there has to be a way to hide pictures.

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited February 2023

i edited an old post already ! the new word editor is pretty cool awesome if you ask me 🤣

Post edited by Slacker on
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker

I believe this system works differently depending on which image host people use. Folks seem to be experiencing issues with Imgur whereas I have no trouble with my image Host as long as I use Direct Link.

Yeah, that's the problem. There are special embeds for Imgur, Giphy, Twitter, Instragram, YouTube, etc. (link to list of them) so the forum will automatically adjust the code around content of that type that's embedded. 😕

@DaniRose2143 Hopefully, but I don't think there's an easy solution that we can apply on our end. From what I gathered looking around the Vanilla website, it seems like the Vanilla Forum devs 1) didn't imagine forums in which users posted numerous images and 2) don't like giving users a lot of power to customize things or do anything that would clutter a discussion forum (such as allowing users to change font colors or encourage adding a bunch of pictures).

@haneul That makes this switch very puzzling. Sharing images and pictures of our sims is a major part of this community. I can't say that it always has been, I only moved from lurker to active about this time last year, but it is now. Fingers crossed that Cade and the other mods can figure something out.

@DaniRose2143 I don't think it was much of a choice because the people at Vanilla Forums are encouraging everyone to use this version and the old system is no longer supported. :(

@haneul Ahh, I see. I thought the forums were entirely owned and run by EA. I'm not giving up hope but that doesn't bode well. It's looking more likely that I'm going to have to take my stories offsite because I'm not going to lighten up on the numbers of pictures I put in them.😕

@DaniRose2143 happy to hear that it works via Chrome at least. I agree, the future of story telling on this site looks pretty bleak and as @haneul stated, the Vanilla devs don’t seem too keen on giving their users a whole lot of editing power. Maybe they think we’re all just messers and so we’re encouraged to create external Sim Lit blogs, which of course is far from ideal for a lot of us readers and story tellers. The forums will be a lot less colorful if it stays the way it is. No fun in that. 🫠

It’s a bit like what happened to the poor console players. Why try fix what ain’t broke?

Fingers crossed indeed.

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member

Spoke too soon. Tweets initially display with image but then reverts to text link only.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 It will certainly be a different place. I hate to take my stories offsite for the very reason you mentioned. I have a fair number of regular readers who enjoy the stories but they won’t be able to follow along if I move. I hate the thought of moving but the stories will also change and may not be as interesting if I stay. It’s a lose/lose situation at the moment.

I choose to take the optimistic view that this can be salvaged. I know it’s complex and unlikely but maybe if this drastically changes the vibe, maybe EA can find a way to migrate this forum to host who will give us our favorite tools back.