Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin app

So am I not supposed to use it anymore? Or is it still good? I thought I remember reading somewhere on here that it was getting changed?
sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg

Comments

• StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    If you can get on it use it. You'll get a notice when it's time to switch.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    I think the forced switch was just postponed a few weeks, probably because Xmas is not the best season for the team to handle unforeseen glitches etc. I also think most users have none or few problems with the app, so if you come across a link to install it, and have the time for explore a new UI, it will probably still work like it used to. I'm holding back because I never change a "winning team" unless I must, and my game works fine.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,857 Member
    edited December 2022
    According to EA_Cade in this thread:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18213522#Comment_18213522

We are no longer migrating players at this time. You can launch Origin in online mode without being prompted to swap to the EA app until migrations recommence at a later date.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    edited December 2022
    Okay. I have been fluctuating between the App and Origin. Lately, this past week I've used the App. Today, Origin keeps telling me it can't connect to my Internet, yet, and get this, the App had no trouble. I wanted to repair my game. I have been unable to find the ellipses dots on the the App to take me to repair game, despite what @EA_Cade mentioned. Once again the Starlight Accolades won't produce a Host so that the Show can go on. I just removed the latest mod/cc in case that was the problem, but it occurred to me a game repair might be in order, too. Can't do that. That will mean a game folder refresh, which isn't a hard thing to do, but it's annoying. I feel boxed in by this App. It just doesn't give us all of the tools some of us have relied upon. Other than that I have been able to use it. I present this as a Cautionary Tale.

ETA: I was able to redownload the Origin launcher and it is now busily repairing my game. I'm so happily. :smiley:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    edited December 2022
    Oh, man, what a nightmare! The game repair was humming along, I went downstairs to grab some breakfast and when I check on it, it is now showing game download failures. Most of my packs aren't loading. Not only that, but even after I close Origin, it just keeps popping back on. STOP the madness. I finally pulled up my Task Manager and shut it off that way. Now, I have no choice but to do a game folder refresh and pray that my packs are still intact. I could cry about now. All of this because, once again, there was a failure of the Starlight Accolade Show. No Host. Can't conduct a Show without the HOST. And that Sim just isn't making an appearance. Face/palm My Sim is up for his 16th Best Song, in a row. At this rate, I may never know. :open_mouth:

ETA: Game folder refresh loaded all of my packs. Yay, disaster averted, Captain. So very relieved. Now, one with the Show!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I feel your frustration, @GalacticGal ! I held off as long as I could but someone else also uses the gaming rig, and I found EA App there the next time i wanted to play on that, and at first, it only showed one single compilation of store content for sims3 that I owned. The rest, vanished. The next time, I found more. I followed directions to get Origin on again following a link EACade gave us, so now my system has both origin and the ea app.
    Then found through the ea app, a way to download all my store content. Yay, but no...about half of it said download failure that I didn't own that. Grrr.

Then the next time I went to play, all the store content I had managed to successfully download and install the last time, was again unistalled.

I hear others are having similar issues.

Sure hope EA is working on this, because they do download way faster through the ea app than they ever did through the soms3 store, but that doesn't help much of we can't access half our stuff, and must reinstall everything else, every time we play.

I have faith that they are working to resolve this and once they do, sims3 will be better than ever! Until then, bummer.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 908 Member
    I finally gave in and downloaded the app since I figured I'd have to sooner or later. What I didn't realize is it would uninstall Origin and not give me all the games I had in Origin. I've lost all my games other than Sims 3 and 4. I really don't care too much about most of them, but I had all The Sims stories ones, Sims Medieval and most importantly... Sims 2. :(
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    edited January 2023
    JaiSea wrote: »
    I finally gave in and downloaded the app since I figured I'd have to sooner or later. What I didn't realize is it would uninstall Origin and not give me all the games I had in Origin. I've lost all my games other than Sims 3 and 4. I really don't care too much about most of them, but I had all The Sims stories ones, Sims Medieval and most importantly... Sims 2. :(

Sims medieval should still be there. If you had the sims ultimate collection that was given on origin in the past, then that should be in the EA app as well. If you had Sims 2 on disc, then you should be able to play without origin anyway. Sims 2 ultimate collection and Sims medieval appeared in the EA app right where they should be for me. Sims 2 did have the wrong icon though. It said sims deluxe instead of ultimate edition but the game was complete with all packs. I don't know about other games but as far as I am aware they should transfer too. If they don't show up you should try to contact someone on the bug forum.
    Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I jumped in and did the transition on New Year's Eve. Because I have an external hard drive that took a little fiddling around but it worked out great. I like the EA App over Origin. I like the layout, for me it just seem easier to use and more efficient. All my other games are showing up as available to download and will probably do that later, but as of now everything is working great. I play on a laptop so I wanted to put my games on the external hard drive to free up my c drive.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Sims medieval should still be there. If you had the sims ultimate collection that was given on origin in the past, then that should be in the EA app as well. If you had Sims 2 on disc, then you should be able to play without origin anyway. Sims 2 ultimate collection and Sims medieval appeared in the EA app right where they should be for me. Sims 2 did have the wrong icon though. It said sims deluxe instead of ultimate edition but the game was complete with all packs. I don't know about other games but as far as I am aware they should transfer too. If they don't show up you should try to contact someone on the bug forum.

Thanks for that. I do have Medieval and it shows up, and of course Sims2 won't show up through EA for any US users but that's not due to any bug, it's because Sims2 has not been supported or sold by EA to users on the US now, as has been the case for years, sadly.

Thank you for being so helpful 🙂 and my Medieval does show up. Of course sims2 hasn't been sold or supported by EA in the US for years now, sadly, so it's not a bug for US users not to be able to see it.

I think progress is being made on the store content in sims3 with the EA app because I see most of mine now, though having to reinstall each time is annoying. At least it installs fast.

I am still hoping to buy some worlds that are still for sale on the sims3 store but don't show up on the ea app in the section for sims3 add ons, but want to find out if other people see those in their game after purchase, despite not seeing them on the EA app.

Am optimistic.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,281 Member

Thanks for that. I do have Medieval and it shows up, and of course Sims2 won't show up through EA for any US users but that's not due to any bug, it's because Sims2 has not been supported or sold by EA to users on the US now, as has been the case for years, sadly.

Thank you for being so helpful 🙂 and my Medieval does show up. Of course sims2 hasn't been sold or supported by EA in the US for years now, sadly, so it's not a bug for US users not to be able to see it.

I think progress is being made on the store content in sims3 with the EA app because I see most of mine now, though having to reinstall each time is annoying. At least it installs fast.

I am still hoping to buy some worlds that are still for sale on the sims3 store but don't show up on the ea app in the section for sims3 add ons, but want to find out if other people see those in their game after purchase, despite not seeing them on the EA app.

Am optimistic.

I live in the US and TS2 shows up in the EA app for me, but it shows up as Double Deluxe and not the UC. EA_Cade said that they are looking into the issue about why that is. Plus I can't download it to my new PC as it tells me that I need a copy of TS2 already installed on it. But when I've tried to install my base game using my external cd drive, it tells me that it was blocked and that I need to get with the PC's Administrator. But the Local User and Groups folder isn't in there as I need to add another user on my PC to make it work. I guess I will either try it again later or just wait for EA to get the TS2 file fixed.

Also, EA_Cade said that they are also looking into why TS2 has a zip file instead of a normal game install.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1005204/ea-app-required-now#latest
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    No worries at all.

We are also currently looking for EA app error reports ID's for the issues players were seeing with Sims 2 Ultimate Collection showing as Double Deluxe or as a ZIP file instead of the normal game install.

Additionally, we are also seeking report ID's for players having issues with the Sims 3 store content not installing.

If you can provide these ID's (or any other issues) please report them on Answers HQ here so that hopefully we can get these errors corrected before migrations are resumed in the future.